If it were possible, would you end the season now?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now?

well, we only have to finish the year 38-4 to be the 96 win team wehoped we had coming out of Spring Training.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No but I would shut down Doubrant now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No, I wouldnt. Sept will give them another month to give a few prospects a c.o.c. and give them a chance to evaluate them at the MLB level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now?:
    [QUOTE]No, I wouldnt. Sept will give them another month to give a few prospects a c.o.c. and give them a chance to evaluate them at the MLB level.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I agree southpaw, the season may be a wash but we need to give these guys a better look before making adjustments.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

We were a weak team from 1967-2002, a period I refer to as the pre-T&T period.  I endured a whole lot of losing before we finally entered the Golden Age of RS BB, a period I refer to as the T&T period.  I can endure a little losing until we find our next T&T.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]We were a weak team from 1967-2002, a period I refer to as the pre-T&T period.  I endured a whole lot of losing before we finally entered the Golden Age of RS BB, a period I refer to as the T&T period.  I can endure a little losing until we find our next T&T.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

1975 Red Sox was not a "weak" team. For that matter, neither was the 1986 team. These teams had guts, they just ran into two of the greatest teams ever, the Big Red Machine in 75 and the 86 Mets.

I would not "end the season." Nobody likes quitters.

What you do if you are the GM is call up as many of prospects as you can, sit the regulars down and give the young future major leaguers a taste of the big leagues.

Make the best of a bad situation.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I miss Theo.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now? : ignores the powerful teams in the latter part of the 70's and the very good teams in the latter part of the '80's.  With some of those teams making the playoffs and/or World Series without the benefit of the 'get in free pass' wild card berth.   All for more Terry and Theo worship.  Lame. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

Overall weak, not every single year, as in 8 playoff appearances in 36 years.  Weak is an overstatement.  Perhaps mediocre is more apropo since we were usually over .500.  4 years of 95 or more wins in 36 years, as opposed to 6 since 2003.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Despite the extra wild card berth, Boston did not make the playoffs in 2002.

If Boston had made the playoffs that year, I strongly believe that they would have won the World Series.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now? : You could say he same thing about a number of teams in the 70's and 80's.  It's the "getting in" to the playoffs that's important.  Then anything can happen.  _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown

True, you have to be in it, to win it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now? : You could say he same thing about a number of teams in the 70's and 80's.  It's the "getting in" to the playoffs that's important.  Then anything can happen.  _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown

True.  :)

The 1987 Toronto Blue Jays were a great team until they blew a 3.5-game lead with 7 games to go. 

After 1987, Toronto had a nice run and build a nice rivalry with our Red Sox (especially in 1990). 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now? : How many playoff appearances would the Red Sox have had since 2002 if there was no wildcard?       _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown

I'd be more concerned about wins per year.  You could look at how often we came in first, but then it wouldn't take into account the dominance of the EE during the 2003-2012 period.  I think the 95 win level probably is more telling.  We just weren't particularly good for 1967-2002.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to If it were possible, would you end the season now?:
    [QUOTE]This is just so painful to endure for a true redsox fan. I cannot believe that you guys back there are still paying to see our team get destroyed. When the season opened I, who adore the sox, said nothing had changed since the september melt-down and predicted the sox would be out 16 games and be in last place. I was hopeful that my glumy outlook was going to get me egg all over my face. But my prediction still has time. To be honest, I predicted the 16 games out would have already happened a long time ago. If you stop going and buying beer maybe JH will do something. But, when you really consider what is ailing the "team/group" the problem cannot be corrected unless JH wants to eat $100,000,000 in contracts to get rid of all the bad deals Theo the Great Monster left him with. If I were JH I would find a way to sue Theo. Why did not JH stand up and scream NO NO NO to crawford deal he was against? End the season. End the torture. End the wars. NOT POSSIBLE and NO POSSIBLE SOLUTION. Go sox!!!!
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]
    The people who still pay love the game.The fans who are in pain , tear the team down, and try to find a fault and blame everyone from owner to the popcorn guy.are not real fans .When things are good they brag and poke fun of other teams When thing go bad they cry, bi,,,tch ,moan and can't man up to the fact that this year we are the other team. Go sox !!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]If the wild card, or something similar, existed in the 70's and 80's, the Sox would have won a World Series long before 2004. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Under the one-Wild-Card-team format, the Red Sox would have been the AL Wild Card entrant on 1973 and 1978 and would have faced the Baltimore Orioles for a one-game playoff for the Wild Card slot in 1977.

That does not necessarily translate into a World Series title.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to If it were possible, would you end the season now?:
    [QUOTE]This is just so painful to endure for a true redsox fan. I cannot believe that you guys back there are still paying to see our team get destroyed. When the season opened I, who adore the sox, said nothing had changed since the september melt-down and predicted the sox would be out 16 games and be in last place. I was hopeful that my glumy outlook was going to get me egg all over my face. But my prediction still has time. To be honest, I predicted the 16 games out would have already happened a long time ago. If you stop going and buying beer maybe JH will do something. But, when you really consider what is ailing the "team/group" the problem cannot be corrected unless JH wants to eat $100,000,000 in contracts to get rid of all the bad deals Theo the Great Monster left him with. If I were JH I would find a way to sue Theo. Why did not JH stand up and scream NO NO NO to crawford deal he was against? End the season. End the torture. End the wars. NOT POSSIBLE and NO POSSIBLE SOLUTION. Go sox!!!!
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]

IMHO a true Red Sox fan never stops watching. This season goes to show no matter what the experts say they must play the games and NOTHING is gauranteed. There have been worse years with more to come. To only watch when they are winning is not a true RS fan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to If it were possible, would you end the season now? : IMHO a true Red Sox fan never stops watching. This season goes to show no matter what the experts say they must play the games and NOTHING is gauranteed. There have been worse years with more to come. To only watch when they are winning is not a true RS fan.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Well said.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now? : it would have given them three more cracks at it which would have been big.....especially with those three 70's teams.    _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown

If only they had the chance.

Sections
Shortcuts