If it were possible, would you end the season now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now?

I would like to see baseball ends its regular season on the day after Labor Day. The WS would have its Game One on the first Saturday in October and the game would start at 12:30PM.

Thank you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I would end the season now by telling Crawford to get surgery and get ready for the 2013 season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

If they end the season now can I get a partial refund on mt MLBTV subscription?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Let me see if I have this right: We're having a bad season, so we should take our ball and go home?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In all honesty, I can never give up watching.  My sons and I love to check the games.  My wife really likes to hear Remy and Orsillo bantering as she goes about the house doing projects.

I could never give up the countless hours hanging with my grandfathers, watching games in the 70s and 80s with less-than stellar teams.  Those times can never be replicated with other things.

Watching the Sox was a link among the generations for my family, despite divorce and dysfunction and whatever ailed the world.  The Sox offer an escape from things.

Watching the Sox deepened the bonding with my brothers-in-law, particularly the late cold fall nights, sitting by the fire pit.  Can't stop watching (and griping).  Just part of it all!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now?:
    [QUOTE]In all honesty, I can never give up watching.  My sons and I love to check the games.  My wife really likes to hear Remy and Orsillo bantering as she goes about the house doing projects. I could never give up the countless hours hanging with my grandfathers, watching games in the 70s and 80s with less-than stellar teams.  Those times can never be replicated with other things. Watching the Sox was a link among the generations for my family, despite divorce and dysfunction and whatever ailed the world.  The Sox offer an escape from things. Watching the Sox deepened the bonding with my brothers-in-law, particularly the late cold fall nights, sitting by the fire pit.  Can't stop watching (and griping).  Just part of it all!
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]
    That was so much better than what I said. Last Sunday, my 11-year-old and I drove from D.C. back to our home in SE Va. It took about three hours, but we listened to the Sox-Indians game (the one we won 14-1, or something like that). It was a great time, and I know years from now it'll be a great memory.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In all honesty, I can never give up watching.  My sons and I love to check the games.  My wife really likes to hear Remy and Orsillo bantering as she goes about the house doing projects. I could never give up the countless hours hanging with my grandfathers, watching games in the 70s and 80s with less-than stellar teams.  Those times can never be replicated with other things. Watching the Sox was a link among the generations for my family, despite divorce and dysfunction and whatever ailed the world.  The Sox offer an escape from things. Watching the Sox deepened the bonding with my brothers-in-law, particularly the late cold fall nights, sitting by the fire pit.  Can't stop watching (and griping).  Just part of it all!
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

Nice post rickerd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

In Response to If it were possible, would you end the season now?:
    [QUOTE]This is just so painful to endure for a true redsox fan. I cannot believe that you guys back there are still paying to see our team get destroyed. When the season opened I, who adore the sox, said nothing had changed since the september melt-down and predicted the sox would be out 16 games and be in last place. I was hopeful that my glumy outlook was going to get me egg all over my face. But my prediction still has time. To be honest, I predicted the 16 games out would have already happened a long time ago. If you stop going and buying beer maybe JH will do something. But, when you really consider what is ailing the "team/group" the problem cannot be corrected unless JH wants to eat $100,000,000 in contracts to get rid of all the bad deals Theo the Great Monster left him with. If I were JH I would find a way to sue Theo. Why did not JH stand up and scream NO NO NO to crawford deal he was against? End the season. End the torture. End the wars. NOT POSSIBLE and NO POSSIBLE SOLUTION. Go sox!!!!
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]
    No, don't end it. Let them wallow and suffer in the mire that they have created and love. They deserve it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" If the wild card, or something similar, existed in the 70's and 80's, the Sox would have won a World Series long before 2004."

gotta love the "if...then" fan. Especially one used to diminish his own team's accomplishments. 

If the wild card is such a breeze, then why are the Cubs still without a World Series win? 

Hasn't helped the Indians, Brewers, Astros, Padres, Nationals, Mariners, or Pirates either. Oh or the Royals, Mets, Tigers and Orioles. I could go on. 

Oh, and Curt Schilling may be all those things you list but he is  also a champion and Red Sox hero and you can never take that away from him despite your vigorous attempts to reduce his accomplishments... (and I don't like the guy either but fair is fair...)

As for this season, no, you don't end the season now. A far more interesting question which you should post next is: should we play as if we are still pushing for the final wild card or start playing young guys and see what they are made of for next year? 

That's a more intense debate. I say we play as if we are still in contention for another couple weeks, then bring the young guys in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: If it were possible, would you end the season now?outide of Boston

In Response to If it were possible, would you end the season now?:
    [QUOTE]This is just so painful to endure for a true redsox fan. I cannot believe that you guys back there are still paying to see our team get destroyed. When the season opened I, who adore the sox, said nothing had changed since the september melt-down and predicted the sox would be out 16 games and be in last place. I was hopeful that my glumy outlook was going to get me egg all over my face. But my prediction still has time. To be honest, I predicted the 16 games out would have already happened a long time ago. If you stop going and buying beer maybe JH will do something. But, when you really consider what is ailing the "team/group" the problem cannot be corrected unless JH wants to eat $100,000,000 in contracts to get rid of all the bad deals Theo the Great Monster left him with. If I were JH I would find a way to sue Theo. Why did not JH stand up and scream NO NO NO to crawford deal he was against? End the season. End the torture. End the wars. NOT POSSIBLE and NO POSSIBLE SOLUTION. Go sox!!!!
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]

Teddy,

As a true Red Sox fan, I feel the pain.  The glimmer is gone for now, but the luster is still there.  Your fears of a boundless dark future are unfounded but understandable.  While we were enjoying many great years, other teams didn't lay dormant and say, "Oh, jeeez, those Red Sox, we will never be able to be as glorious as they are."  They drafted, developed and grew into some remarkable talent. 

In other words, the things happened the way they should in the bigger picture.  Baseball outside of Boston kept on keeping on.  While we have talent, other teams developed or attained as much or more.  We used to walk loudly and carry a big stick, to rephrase another line.  Now, we found out others have developed body armor and offense of their own.  

The cup is still half full, friend.  If Lester and Beckett return to form or Franklin and Clay pick up the slack ... things could be better.  But face it, the rest of the game has gotten better around us.

Good for baseball.  Tough on Boston. 

But after struggling through a lifetime of bad to almosts, I am hardly willing to walk away from this team or any team in Boston that calls Fenway hone,

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Question for all of you.  Why risk Crawford's long-term health this year?

If Boston was in the playoff hunt then I would understand having Crawford continue to play.  But there are five teams ahead of us in the Wild Card race.

We need a healthy and fully-recovered Crawford in 2013.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

No I wouldn't end the season now.  There's still many reasons for following the games.  Yesterday Lester pitches a great game, Ciriaco goes 4 for 4, Gonzo homers, Punto contributes!

And personally, the baseball season is one of the biggest kicks in my life. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Question for all of you.  Why risk Crawford's long-term health this year? If Boston was in the playoff hunt then I would understand having Crawford continue to play.  But there are five teams ahead of us in the Wild Card race. We need a healthy and fully-recovered Crawford in 2013.  
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

It's a fair question.  They must have determined that there's little additional risk by him continuing to play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Heck, no.  It's sometime painful, especially with the rotation--today Beckett is very likely to get blown away by the Yankees--but always worthwhile to watch.  With all the ups and downs and injuries, this team has never been boring.  Looks like, for example, CC will go on the DL next week to get tommy john surgery and be ready for 2013 even though he has hit pretty well since coming of the DL. 

The Sox are unlikely to get into the playoffs and may even finish under .500, but they ain't dead yet. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The other thing is, this season should put in perspective what a great run we've had.  Before this year, every team from 2002 to 2011 had a good record and playoff chances until after the All-Star break.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Despite the extra wild card berth, Boston did not make the playoffs in 2002. If Boston had made the playoffs that year, I strongly believe that they would have won the World Series.
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

Interesting.......I recall feeling they didn't have enough to finish strong but

they did have 2 top starters (Pedro/Lowe), a high quality 3rd starter (Wake)......a bona fide closer (Uggie) w/ a great Lefty Set-Up Man (Embree)......Nomar and Manny in the middle of the order.....Damon setting up the tables.......and Tek behind the plate.......oh yeah, and I believe that was Hillebrand's break out year too (remember the GW PH Homer in TB off the cat walk and the one vs Rivera??)........the key of course would have been knocking out the Angels during the regular season......But......I still think the Giants should have won it all that year, no???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

FWIW, for those that want to quit, did you not enjoy yesterday's game?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]When Lester has a bad outing, there are about five threads bashing him. When he pitches great like yesterday, there are none. This is why I keep telling you that the tone of this forum is always NEGATIVE. In response all that I hear is that I am the negative one and am disruptive.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

In the long run, you have the satisfaction of being an optimist.  There are some in here legitimately upset, but then there are those who have done nothing but whine since this board was set up.  Those people probably approach their entire lives with the same level of disatisfaction.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]When Lester has a bad outing, there are about five threads bashing him. When he pitches great like yesterday, there are none. This is why I keep telling you that the tone of this forum is always NEGATIVE. In response all that I hear is that I am the negative one and am disruptive.
    You have a point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You're being selective though, as usual.  The reason the response on Lester is muted is that his overall numbers are still poor.  After Buchholz's last game there were two positive threads started about him.  Perhaps those escaped your attention. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Nope.
    Play out the season.
    Enjoy the good things.
    Take whatever lumps you have coming to you.
    That's baseball.
    That's life.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.