If Jackie Bradley, Jr. Continues to Impress...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If Jackie Bradley, Jr. Continues to Impress...

I'd keep him on the roster any day over Ryan Sweeney, Daniel Nava, Mike Carp, etc. We know what those guys can do. He would get At bats, being able to spell Gomes (who's not a full time player), Victorino for a game here and there, and Ellsbury once every week and a half.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: If Jackie Bradley, Jr. Continues to Impress...

In response to ADG's comment:

I'd keep him on the roster any day over Ryan Sweeney, Daniel Nava, Mike Carp, etc. We know what those guys can do. He would get At bats, being able to spell Gomes (who's not a full time player), Victorino for a game here and there, and Ellsbury once every week and a half.

IF ? IF Bradley makes team he WILL !! not ride the bench... Very much needs to play .Here or AAA.... no bench for this guy.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkite74. Show mrkite74's posts

Agree if Bradley stays Gomes will be 4th outfielder.  Maybe Move Victorino to LF.  I am betting he plays 1 momth or so in pawtucket first

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Interesting idea , but the Sox just don't do things like that. Bradley will probably go to Portland , no matter what he does in spring training. Same thing with De La Rosa and Webster. No matter how lights out they may pitch in spring training, they are bound for Pawtucket. It is quite possible that they would be better than Dempster and Lackey right now , but they will be sent out for more " seasoning " regardless.  It's not just the Sox. Most teams operate that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

i bet you thought Craig Hansen was ready too.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Unless hes going to play FT in Boston, theres no need to waste a year of control and waste his development riding the pine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Critical to save a year of control, about a hald a decade from now, so that the Red Sox can continue manage it's payrol with intense frugality. It could mean the differnce in 5 or 10 million dollars costs, about a half a decade from now.

Why don't you go cheer for the Braves now? They're a lot closer to your home, and they have your boyfriend in the outfield.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Critical to save a year of control, about a hald a decade from now, so that the Red Sox can continue manage it's payrol with intense frugality. It could mean the differnce in 5 or 10 million dollars costs, about a half a decade from now.

They nerd to be frugal so thry can spend up to $200mill on bloated labor.

I read that somewhere...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yeah, why wait for a guy to develop a full range of skills when he could be a half-decent part-time utility guy RIGHT NOW!?!?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I still want Nava & Sweeney on the roster and JBJ in AAA.  Nava should get at least half of the LF platoon and be hitting #2 vRHP.  Sweeney is a perfect bench OFer who can play good D in all three spots.  If Jackie lights it up I'm sure we can make a trade to improve the farm.  If it's a situation of an injury or someone just sucking we won't get the upside but JBJ is still just an hour away.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The problem is that both SV and Gomes both do great vs LHPs and poor vs RHPs, so JBJ would probably just play vs RHPs and a handful of games to give Jacoby a break in CF vs LHPs. 

Since we face more righties than lefties, he could play quite a bit, but he needs to play everyday... somewhere.

I'm not arguing that he is not ready now, but just pointing out that it is not likely we bench Gomes or SV vs LHPs. Trading Ellsbury still seems like the best way to get JBJ in the line-up FT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I have been staying have him start in the OF. They could afford Ellsbury if you Bogarts, who should be even better than JBJ, and Bradley in the corners. Eventually moving Victorino as a supersub OFer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I love JBJ.  Love his game.  his D.  His plate discipline.  His wheels.  his make-up.  His character. 

But, before we start pencilling him onto 25 man rosters and starting spots, can we at least wait til, like, March sometime?

Jackie hasn't even sniffed Rhode Island and we are flying him up to Fenway?  I know, I know.  Tony Conigliaro and all that.  But, really, JBJ is entirely hype right now.  

Personally, I don't want JBJ on the opening day roster.  He is in the midst of trying to develop some power in his game.  Making adjustments.  Growing into his future major league self.

If he pulls a Middlebrooks and is tearing up the International league by May/June, fine, lets take a flyer.

But lets not put the cart before the horse.  Jackie is a AA All-star until he shows he is more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sorry but this just isn't plausible.  At this point in spring training most pitchers are throwing all fastballs.  This is why young developing players always hit MLB pitching well in ST and impress, there is a rhyme and reason to it.  JBJ needs to play EVERYDAY, he still has developmental needs.  Honestly I'd rather have him play every day rather than sit on the bench.  If he continues to mash it this year in Portland then I would be quick to give him the promotion to Pawtucket.

He will get his cup of coffee in August if that's the case. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

FWIW, I'm pretty sure he is slated to start the year in AAA.  Barring any significant setbacks, I don't think Portland is in their plans for JBJ.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I love JBJ.  Love his game.  his D.  His plate discipline.  His wheels.  his make-up.  His character. 

But, before we start pencilling him onto 25 man rosters and starting spots, can we at least wait til, like, March sometime?

Jackie hasn't even sniffed Rhode Island and we are flying him up to Fenway?  I know, I know.  Tony Conigliaro and all that.  But, really, JBJ is entirely hype right now.  

Personally, I don't want JBJ on the opening day roster.  He is in the midst of trying to develop some power in his game.  Making adjustments.  Growing into his future major league self.

If he pulls a Middlebrooks and is tearing up the International league by May/June, fine, lets take a flyer.

But lets not put the cart before the horse.  Jackie is a AA All-star until he shows he is more.

To be precise, Jackie Bradley is a High Single A All Star:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=598265

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/bradley-jackie.htm

... and a great-looking prospect.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

To be precise, Jackie Bradley is a High Single A All Star:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=598265

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/bradley-jackie.htm

... and a great-looking prospect.

Right.  Thank you for the clarification Hill.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to 111SoxFan111's comment:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure he is slated to start the year in AAA.  Barring any significant setbacks, I don't think Portland is in their plans for JBJ.

I think he'll have to really light it up all spring to be starting the year in Pawtucket. Granted that he had played more games than he ever had in his life, but the end of his stint in Portland didn't go all that well at the plate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Unless hes going to play FT in Boston, theres no need to waste a year of control and waste his development riding the pine.

I wouldnt be against him playing on the long side of a platoon.

If he played in LF against all righties, and subbed in for Vic and Ells occasionally, he would play ~75% of the time.

I would submit that this would be enough to prevent stunting his development.

But I would give the job to who wins it.  Nava, Sweeney, Bradley, Carp, Hazelbaker all fighting for the spot.

If Bradley wins it, he wins it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

the only way JBJ is on the opening day roster is if there's a major injury and Ben trade away Ells to fill that hole which leaves a spot in the OF.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to 111SoxFan111's comment:

I think he'll have to really light it up all spring to be starting the year in Pawtucket. Granted that he had played more games than he ever had in his life, but the end of his stint in Portland didn't go all that well at the plate.

From Cafardo article:

"Farrell said the staff came into the camp feeling Bradley would go to Triple-A after getting a taste of camp. But he keeps opening their minds. "

Sections
Shortcuts