If Jackie Bradley, Jr. Continues to Impress...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: If Jackie Bradley, Jr. Continues to Impress...

In response to 111SoxFan111's comment:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure he is slated to start the year in AAA.  Barring any significant setbacks, I don't think Portland is in their plans for JBJ.

Maybe, but AA is usually more competitive for age-appropriate players. AAA is usually loaded with 40-man roster fallout with marginal talent that teams cling to for depth...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i honestly think that if JBJ continues to impress that he should be our starting LF to start the season with gomes as the 4th outfielder. Ellsbury, JBJ and victorino could easily be one of the best defensive outfields in the majors. You have 3 guys who can essentially play all 3 outfield positions which gives us huge flexibility, and you would have two guys (gomes and victorino) who hit lefites well, and two guys (ellsbury and JBJ) who hit righties well. Makes perfect sense. And its not like JBJ is some 18/19 yr old prospect, the guy is 23 and has experience and is already a top notch defender.

I would put JBJ in right and Victorino in LF save Victorino's leg for the base paths.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

the only way JBJ is on the opening day roster is if there's a major injury and Ben trade away Ells to fill that hole which leaves a spot in the OF.  

Agreed.  They won't use a year of control to have him take Nava's spot as a Gomes platoon.  nava will likely outhit JBJ, and the difference on defense, in LF, and in Fenway, won't make enough of a difference.

And I was saying the same thing earlier in another site along the same lines.  I doubt they'd use JBJ in almost any case, but if someone got hurt in ST, say Kemp or Trout, and LA was desperate to replace him, then maybe they'd consider it.  but it would really have to drop into their laps.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

i honestly think that if JBJ continues to impress that he should be our starting LF to start the season with gomes as the 4th outfielder. Ellsbury, JBJ and victorino could easily be one of the best defensive outfields in the majors. You have 3 guys who can essentially play all 3 outfield positions which gives us huge flexibility, and you would have two guys (gomes and victorino) who hit lefites well, and two guys (ellsbury and JBJ) who hit righties well. Makes perfect sense. And its not like JBJ is some 18/19 yr old prospect, the guy is 23 and has experience and is already a top notch defender.

Bradley would be completely wasted in LF. The guy is probably a GG CF right now. And he also probably has the best arm of any outfielder in our minor league system. You don't need someone with a great arm in left, except maybe in Yankee Stadium. Which is why I think if both Bradley Jr. and Ellsbury are in the same outfield, Ellsbury would be the one going to left. I love Ellsbury, but his arm is spaghetti.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Bradley would be completely wasted in LF. The guy is probably a GG CF right now. And he also probably has the best arm of any outfielder in our minor league system. You don't need someone with a great arm in left, except maybe in Yankee Stadium. Which is why I think if both Bradley Jr. and Ellsbury are in the same outfield, Ellsbury would be the one going to left. I love Ellsbury, but his arm is spaghetti.

Wasn't the old rule of thumb the best arm goes in right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I have no problem if JBJ sticks out of ST but I also think it is highly unlikely and probably not even in his best interest or the teams. Save a year of control, give him at least 2 months or so in AAA and if he does very well then consider bringing him up. I also think he faded some last year while getting used to all the workload, playing a lot more games per year then he was used to. He beat up his body pretty well but still went out there every day. 

To me, a platoon against RH is fine even though he hit better at least in AA ball against LH last year.  If he plays most of the games what is wrong with that Keep him fresh, along with the rest of the OF. Victorino could sure use some time off against RH pitching as well. I like a strong platoon, keeping the OF fresh.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The kid has a lot of improving to do.

But he is already the 3rd best OF on the Red Sox at any level.

OF should be Bradley-Ellsbury-Victorino.

It won't be - but it should be.  He'll hang out in the minor leagues while we watch the immortals (Gomes and Nava)

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Most braindead aping in fantasy baseball talk, "save a year of control".

The Red Sox have spending nearly 200 million a year in total labor costs. Making roster construction decisions based on trying to save about 5 or 10 million in about a half a decade is utterly incompetent!

As I stated, Ellsbury should be gone.

J. Upton should have been acquired above the garbage the Braves unloaded.

R. Johnson should have signed to a one year 1.5 to 2M contract.

Minor league contracts should have been offered to Pods and Sizemore.

If Bradley, Jr. sustains offensive consistency (he's been ready defensively) through the spring, he should be the starting CF'er on opening day.

The 2013 outfield depth chart should be:

LF  J. Upton (long term)

CF R. Johnson and Pods/Sizemore as placeholders for Bradley, Jr. (Long term)

RF Gomes, Nava as placeholders for Kalish (Long term) 

Spending 23 million on Shane and Ellsbury is incompetent! Almost as bad as Crawbust and Ellsbury. Waste of time and money!

Kalish is going to be fine, long term, and to the extent he struggles, more of his time should be split with the RH bench outfielder.

What a whiner!  Want to go off on how John McCain should be president?  How Paul Ryan should be Treasury Secretary?  Blah blah blah.....

OK... I agree, but what does that change?  Stiffy loves setting up straw-man arguments that are impossible to disprove. 

Just stop the whining and the veiled "I'm right because you can't prove I'm wrong," juvenile arguments.  They are so above you!

Gotta love the stiffster :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Red Sox have spending nearly 200 million a year in total labor costs. Making roster construction decisions based on trying to save about 5 or 10 million in about a half a decade is utterly incompetent!

If Bradley, Jr. sustains offensive consistency (he's been ready defensively) through the spring, he should be the starting CF'er on opening day.

LF  J. Upton (long term)

Spending 23 million on Shane and Ellsbury is incompetent! Almost as bad as Crawbust and Ellsbury. Waste of time and money!

Kalish is going to be fine, long term, and to the extent he struggles, more of his time should be split with the RH bench outfielder.

I don't think I agree with a single thing in the above post. That's almost a record I think, for a post with 6-7 positions in it. World record brain dead post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

LF  J. Upton (long term)

Stiffy also argues that he's right about John McCain.  How he should be president & Paul Ryan should be Treasury Secretary.  Which of course means he's right again. 

I've never known an adult to spend so much time trying to convince everyone they are right about so many things????

& since you can't prove he's wrong, that confirms that he must be right!  Ahhh!  I get it!  He must be right???

Stiffy!  The king of circular logic!  Just ask him :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Good luck with the Kalish project in particular. 2 shoulder surgeries and a neck operation. I'm sure we can slap a band aid on him and he will be the next Mike Trout. Hasn't really played in several years now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

For the record.....

I would deal Ells for a front line SP.  An ACE!  Perhaps a strong #2 starter!  I would take the risk & go wit JBJ in CF, add the ACE, & take my chances......  We're going to lose him anyway!  Do it before he possibly gets injured.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Forget Kalish.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Hi folks,  It's stiffy again.  Have I told you lately how right I am about Ells.  He's terrible because I say so.  Sure he's pretty much a 4 - 5 tool guy, w/ 40 - 30 potential.  Perhaps the best speed in the game.  Great leadoff guy with excellent OBP.  .300+ avg.  capable of 100+ RBI seasons when healthy at the leadoff.  ALL MLB execs value him at $17 - $21 Million per year for 5+ yr contract.

But!  I'm right about him because I said so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

oh.....  & even though Ells was calling for the ball while trying to make a play, he should not have broken his ribs running full speed into Beltre. 

Seriously!  Breaking your ribs buy having that pipsqueak knee you in the ribs at full speed?  Please!  Ells is clearly fragile! 

Stiffy right!  Ells blows!  He will sign for the league min. in 2014

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

For the record.....

I would deal Ells for a front line SP.  An ACE!  Perhaps a strong #2 starter!  I would take the risk & go wit JBJ in CF, add the ACE, & take my chances......  We're going to lose him anyway!  Do it before he possibly gets injured.

show me a GM who trades a #1-2 pitcher for a 1 year rental and i will show you a GM with downs syndrome..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

# 1 would be a stretch...  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Strong #2 would likely be a stretch....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

I'd settle for a strong #3 with some up-side!  This season is going to all about the pitching!  As usual...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Our SR is suspect at best!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I'd settle for a strong #3 with some up-side!  This season is going to all about the pitching!  As usual...

i would still rather keep him, try to resign him and take the comp pick if we can't...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i would still rather keep him, try to resign him and take the comp pick if we can't...

I've always favored keeping Ells.  I just think we'd have to mortgage our future to keep him.  17 - 20 mil / yr at 5+ years...?????   I would go with JBJ & eliminate the risk.  Spend that money on PITCHING!  Round out the OF with some quality 2nd tier guys after this year.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts