If Jackie Bradley, Jr. Continues to Impress...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: If Jackie Bradley, Jr. Continues to Impress...

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Here's what we KNOW:  Nava and Gomes will be less than mediocre all year.  We know exactly what we are going to get. 

We can get less than mediocre with Bradley right now.  The difference is - Bradley is very talented and will actually improve during the season.

No chance that Gomes imprves during the season - you are stuck with less than mediocre. 

Tiny chance that Nava improves during the season.

Go with the young guy who will improve.  If he scuffles ALL year - it is still just as good as Gomes or Nava.  But, if he improves because he is incredibly talented you end up much better off.

Why is this so hard for the Red Sox managemnet to understand? 

The thing is, the assumption that Bradley would be as good as Gomes or Nava at the major league level right now is conjecture.  Reasonable conjecture, but conjecture nonetheless.  I think, at the very least, we need to wait til mid-march, when pitchers are past spotting mechanics-finding fastballs, before we can begin to guess that JBJ is ready to handle major league pitching.

Why rush?  Why not put him in a position to succeed?

Yes, he is exciting and it is great to have guys like him waiting in the wings.  

No, it is not a sure thing he is better than Gomes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Here's what we KNOW:  Nava and Gomes will be less than mediocre all year.  We know exactly what we are going to get. 

We can get less than mediocre with Bradley right now.  The difference is - Bradley is very talented and will actually improve during the season.

No chance that Gomes imprves during the season - you are stuck with less than mediocre. 

Go with the young guy who will improve.  If he scuffles ALL year - it is still just as good as Gomes or Nava.  But, if he improves because he is incredibly talented you end up much better off.

The thing is, the assumption that Bradley would be as good as Gomes or Nava at the major league level right now is conjecture.  Reasonable conjecture, but conjecture nonetheless.  I think, at the very least, we need to wait til mid-march, when pitchers are past spotting mechanics-finding fastballs, before we can begin to guess that JBJ is ready to handle major league pitching.

Why rush?  Why not put him in a position to succeed?

Yes, he is exciting and it is great to have guys like him waiting in the wings.  

No, it is not a sure thing he is better than Gomes.

Nor is it a guarantee he will improve.  There is a reason we havr the word "potential".

Bradley might debut in 2013, but there is no reason to force it..

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

If he scuffles all year, you've lost a year of service time, because he wasn't ready.

If the OF situation is as bad as some of you make it out to be, you can bring JBJ up after May 1st and NOT lose a year of service time.

And, the Sox can see how he starts the year. He hasn't even played in AAA yet.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i honestly think that if JBJ continues to impress that he should be our starting LF to start the season with gomes as the 4th outfielder. Ellsbury, JBJ and victorino could easily be one of the best defensive outfields in the majors. You have 3 guys who can essentially play all 3 outfield positions which gives us huge flexibility, and you would have two guys (gomes and victorino) who hit lefites well, and two guys (ellsbury and JBJ) who hit righties well. Makes perfect sense. And its not like JBJ is some 18/19 yr old prospect, the guy is 23 and has experience and is already a top notch defender.

Bradley would be completely wasted in LF. The guy is probably a GG CF right now. And he also probably has the best arm of any outfielder in our minor league system. You don't need someone with a great arm in left, except maybe in Yankee Stadium. Which is why I think if both Bradley Jr. and Ellsbury are in the same outfield, Ellsbury would be the one going to left. I love Ellsbury, but his arm is spaghetti.

Pete abe settles the debate :p

From his mailbag:

Who has been the biggest surprise of spring training so far? Also, what is the ideal outfield setup with Ellsbury and Bradley Jr., on the same team?
    Joe, Syracuse, NY
    In that scenario, Bradley moves to a corner. We saw what happened when Ellsbury moved to left a couple of years ago. He’s also the veteran and an excellent center fielder, so he would remain there. My guess is they’d use Bradley mostly in left with Jonny Gomes in a platoon, but they’d get him time in center and right as well.

Gee, i wonder who Joe from Syracuse, NY is?? :D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It was a mistake to keep Rice in Pawtucket in 1974.

However, the Sox did have Yaz (who started the most games for them in LF in 1974).

They also had Tommy Harper - who sort of fell apart that year.

They also had Bernie Carbo (26 years old).

That was their LF. 

Rice should have been the LF the second half of  the season with Yaz at 1B.  It may have got them over the hump - but they were concerned about his defense.

Bradley does not have to beat out Yaz or even Harper.  He has to beat out Johnny Gomes and Nava.

Let him play!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It was a mistake to keep Rice in Pawtucket in 1974.

However, the Sox did have Yaz (who started the most games for them in LF in 1974).

They also had Tommy Harper - who sort of fell apart that year.

They also had Bernie Carbo (26 years old).

That was their LF. 

Rice should have been the LF the second half of  the season with Yaz at 1B.  It may have got them over the hump - but they were concerned about his defense.

Bradley does not have to beat out Yaz or even Harper.  He has to beat out Johnny Gomes and Nava.

Let him play!

In 73, Jim Rice destroyed bristol and then destroyed Pawtucket when they brought him up.  He then obviously destroyed Pawtucket in 74.  Yes, they should have called him up in 74.

JBJ struggled adapting to AA last year.

Its not the same thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Unless hes going to play FT in Boston, theres no need to waste a year of control and waste his development riding the pine.

I wouldnt be against him playing on the long side of a platoon.

If he played in LF against all righties, and subbed in for Vic and Ells occasionally, he would play ~75% of the time.

I would submit that this would be enough to prevent stunting his development.

But I would give the job to who wins it.  Nava, Sweeney, Bradley, Carp, Hazelbaker all fighting for the spot.

If Bradley wins it, he wins it.

Even at that, Id rather he play 100% of the time. Right now theres no need to start the arb clock and only start him 75% of the time. Just because hes hit good the first few games of ST, although promising, isnt the end all be all. His senond half of AA wasnt great last year after they adjusted to him.

In his last 43 games at AA he hit .218/.340/.404...

Id rather him start at AA with a quick track to AAA, then maybe a call-up...But thats just me.

I think that was more fatigue than the league adjusting to him. Just about every college player hits the wall sometime towards the end of their first full pro season. The same thing happened to Barnes last year.

43 games left and hes out of gas? Maybe a bit of both I would say (adjustments/fatigue). Still, If thats the case then he still should start in AA or AAA so he can build up his stamina...

Like I said on another thread, if he really lights it up all spring I think he'll start the year in Pawtucket. Otherwise he'll go back to Portland and try to show that the way he started out in AA is more who he is than the way he finished. Also Pawtucket currently has Brentz, Linares, Hazelbaker and Hassan in the outfield, so I'm thinking that an initial assignment to Portland is probably likely. At least I hope so, because I want to get a chance to see Bradley and Bogaerts on the same team without paying $40+ per ticket. :-)

Yeah, you and me both...I think were going to have to catch a game in Portland early in the season to do that though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Unless hes going to play FT in Boston, theres no need to waste a year of control and waste his development riding the pine.

If he played in LF against all righties, and subbed in for Vic and Ells occasionally, he would play ~75% of the time.

But I would give the job to who wins it.  Nava, Sweeney, Bradley, Carp, Hazelbaker all fighting for the spot.

Even at that, Id rather he play 100% of the time. Right now theres no need to start the arb clock and only start him 75% of the time. Just because hes hit good the first few games of ST, although promising, isnt the end all be all. His senond half of AA wasnt great last year after they adjusted to him.

Id rather him start at AA with a quick track to AAA, then maybe a call-up...But thats just me.

I think that was more fatigue than the league adjusting to him. Just about every college player hits the wall sometime towards the end of their first full pro season. The same thing happened to Barnes last year.

43 games left and hes out of gas? Maybe a bit of both I would say (adjustments/fatigue). Still, If thats the case then he still should start in AA or AAA so he can build up his stamina...

Like I said on another thread, if he really lights it up all spring I think he'll start the year in Pawtucket. Otherwise he'll go back to Portland and try to show that the way he started out in AA is more who he is than the way he finished. Also Pawtucket currently has Brentz, Linares, Hazelbaker and Hassan in the outfield, so I'm thinking that an initial assignment to Portland is probably likely. At least I hope so, because I want to get a chance to see Bradley and Bogaerts on the same team without paying $40+ per ticket. :-)

Yeah, you and me both...I think were going to have to catch a game in Portland early in the season to do that though.

I'm planing on opening day for now. I checked into tickets and for $10 you get just about the best seats in the house. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Pitiful to read these meaningless general comments about "age 23 and AA line split for part of the season".  None of you idiots have even seen Bradley, Jr. play, outside of a few times from video highlights and recently in spring training. I've seen him play, down here, over 50 games. He's been ready, defensively, to start as a MLB CF'er. He's a leader and has tremendous athletic talent and is very poised in competition. His last step is adjusting to MLB pitching, which he is showing will not be a hurdle he can't clear. Signing Victorino and keeping Ellsbury was simply management giving you idiots something to pretend and spend money on a pipe dream. It makes no sense, whatsoever!

That said, Bradley, Jr. will need to display more consistency against MLB pitching over the full spring training. The Red Sox should have signed R. Johnson as a CF placeholder for MLB contract for 1 year and 2M, and signed Pods and Sizemore to minor league contracts. In the event Bradley, Jr. is ready for opening day, they simply trade R. Johnson. 

The artifice of "need to save a year of control" is utterly laughable for the incompetent Red Sox management. Bradley propably needs more time hitting v. better pitching, but the knee jerk of "we decided to keep Ellsbury (Ellsbury can still be traded now)" or "we signed Shane" or any other nonsense as some artificial timeline excuse is why this managment is incompetent in building a roster.

Right now, given what I've seen, I would simply do a public relations campaign and say that Bradley, Jr. isn't ready for the better MLB pitching but he'll get there and he's such a leader and so solid defensively. I would then put Ellsbury on the trade market and take the best trade offer for him. Time and value is better invested in Bradley, Jr., and worrying about having to pay him 5 or 10M more about a half a decade from now should only be an issue for idiots with fantasy baseball minds. The Red Sox and there massive payroll don't need to pretending to be a penny wise, when they are tons foolish.

2013 OF opening day (not my original plan but my plan based on what's now on the books):

LF  Gomes/Sweeney/Pinch Hitter

CF Bradley, Jr.

RF Shane

Minors: Nava et al

This won't happen, because Red Sox fans are still slobbering over Ellsbury, who has been a loser at every stage of baseball where he was being depended upon to be a season long starter.

youve seen him dominate A-Ball...Sorry, but your 50 games of Greenville or Salem doesnt compare to seeing him struggle a bit in AA against advanced pitching...Have you seen him in AA where the competition is much more fierce and more comparable to MLB? I have...A few times.

He should start back in AA with a quick promotion if warranted.

And you call us idiots...Too funny.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm planing on opening day for now. I checked into tickets and for $10 you get just about the best seats in the house. :-)

Im there carnie!!! Opening day in Portland.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

And for the rest of us there, we can subscribe to MiLB-TV for $40 per season and watch many Pawsox and Sea Dogs  from the comfort of our living rooms.

Nothing like watching the "kids" live and in person at the ballpark...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

And for the rest of us there, we can subscribe to MiLB-TV for $40 per season and watch many Pawsox and Sea Dogs  from the comfort of our living rooms.

Nothing like watching the "kids" live and in person at the ballpark...

Minor league parks are where its at.  Strictly for baseball lovers.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

In 73, Jim Rice destroyed bristol and then destroyed Pawtucket when they brought him up.  He then obviously destroyed Pawtucket in 74.  Yes, they should have called him up in 74.

Its not the same thing.

Again - JBJ has to beat out Gomes and Nava - not Yaz.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Its not the same thing.

Again - JBJ has to beat out Gomes and Nava - not Yaz.

Again, its not about beating anyone out.  Its about being ready for the Bigs.  Jim Rice tore up AA and AAA during the year inwhich we agree he should have been called up.  No question Gold Dust #1 was ready.  Jackie Bradley swooned when he was called up to AA last year.  Many questions as to whether he is ready.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Again, its not about beating anyone out.  Its about being ready for the Bigs.  

nonsensical.

If Bradley beats out Gomes and nava he is by definition "ready for the bigs" 

Unless you are arguing that Gomes and Nava are not "ready for the bigs" (which come to think of it may be true).

There is a very good chance that, early promotion or not, Bradley at his present level is the 3rd best OF in the entire Red Sox organization. 

Now, it's likely the Red Sox will put their 3rd best OF in Portland - but that is stupid. 

If he plays everyday in Boston it is not going to hurt him. 

Dwight Evans came up at age 21.  Was he dominant at age 21?  Nope.  But he became a great ball player over time.

Even when he first came up and was raw and green - he was STILL better than Rick Miller. 

That's the whole point - bring up the young guy.  Don't role out that slob Gomes into LF because you are afraid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

How can you send this guy down!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Again, its not about beating anyone out.  Its about being ready for the Bigs.  

nonsensical.

If Bradley beats out Gomes and nava he is by definition "ready for the bigs" 

Unless you are arguing that Gomes and Nava are not "ready for the bigs" (which come to think of it may be true).

There is a very good chance that, early promotion or not, Bradley at his present level is the 3rd best OF in the entire Red Sox organization. 

Now, it's likely the Red Sox will put their 3rd best OF in Portland - but that is stupid. 

If he plays everyday in Boston it is not going to hurt him. 

Dwight Evans came up at age 21.  Was he dominant at age 21?  Nope.  But he became a great ball player over time.

Even when he first came up and was raw and green - he was STILL better than Rick Miller. 

That's the whole point - bring up the young guy.  Don't role out that slob Gomes into LF because you are afraid.

Dewey also raked at the AAA level.

Hey, I am excited.  I love Jackie Bradley.  

But, I want to see him have some success hitting at AA nevermind AAA before I pencil him into the Sox lineup.  If he is still hitting great in mid-late March when pitchers start really pitching, I have already said i will take that as an acceptable substitute.  But, until he proves otherwise, he is still a AA level hitter.  Huge difference from Rice or Dewey when they were called up.

Will he be better than Gomes. Sweeney, Nava and whatever other half-decent lunch-pail guys ahead of him on the depth chart?  YES.  Much better.  Can he hit as well as Gomes at the major league level RIGHT NOW?  My guess is no.  Your guess is yes.  this is the crux of our differeing opinion.  I think that you are over-emphasizing upside in your analysis of the present.  Now, like I said, if towards the end of ST, JBJ is still hitting, then I will easily and most happily concede that he is ready and has amazingly morphed into a big league hitter over the winter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sadly, we did not max out on an Ellsbury trade while the comp pick is still attached, even so, with little chance to make it anywhere this year, I'd keep JBJ's years of service another year. Bring him up the day after the cut off date.