If Kelly Johnson Gets At Bats Instead of Betts, I have An Issue WIth Farrell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If Kelly Johnson Gets At Bats Instead of Betts, I have An Issue WIth Farrell

Does everyone agree that Betts should be in CF every day and Holt at 3B? If Kelly Johnson gets AB's at 3B and Holt plays CF instead of Betts, I have an issue with thiat.

No reason at all. Johnson was a throw in and is gone. Betts could be in our starting lineup next year (and the rest of this year).

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: If Kelly Johnson Gets At Bats Instead of Betts, I have An Issue WIth Farrell

He should be DFA... He has no purpose 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: If Kelly Johnson Gets At Bats Instead of Betts, I have An Issue WIth Farrell

If Johnson is getting regular playing time then yes, Farrell needs his head examined.  However Johnson is the equivalent to a utility guy to me.  It's not as if he isn't going to play any games to give guys rest here and there, and it's not as if Betts is going to play in every single game the rest of the year.

Can't get mad if it happens once, now if it is happening a few times a week then that is a different story. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Kelly Johnson merely being on the 40 man roster is a complete and total disgrace.

Lots of gets should be sent packing since they have no future with the team:  Johnson, Injurino, Mujica, Nava, Bucholtz... but yeah, Johnson is at the head of that list for sure.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Isn't Ross due back one of these days? I think he will take Johnson's spot. Betts has too much potential to sit on the bench. My guess is that he'l play 5 out every 6 gamse between now and October. Holt will see some 3B, some SS and maybe even a little 1B. Craig will see some LF and Cespedes (who badly needs a day or two off) will move to RF. Nava can't be ignored here, either. He even looks better against lefties than he did earlier in the year. Betts will stay in center, and let the corner outfielders swap around. Has anyone thought of Holt maybe being the SS next year? The guy's amazing regarless of what glove he's using. His hustle play, last night when the guy hammered on off the CF wall, fo example. He seemed to realize that the ball could go anywhere.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There is not a 40 man crunch right now so why are we complaining about who is on the 40 man????

If the fringe players on our 40 man were good solid players we would be in contention to defend the title.

This is just more of the same, finding a new way to package up the same old complaints. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does everyone agree that Betts should be in CF every day and Holt at 3B? If Kelly Johnson gets AB's at 3B and Holt plays CF instead of Betts, I have an issue with thiat.

No reason at all. Johnson was a throw in and is gone. Betts could be in our starting lineup next year (and the rest of this year).

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

When Craig Allen gets back it will be Cespedes, Holt, and Allen in the outfield.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

When Craig Allen gets back it will be Cespedes, Holt, and Allen in the outfield.

[/QUOTE]

Everyday??? at what point have they played Holt at 1 position everyday this year?  I don't think that will happen.  I think he gets some starts there, but Betts and even JBJ probably get a lot more there this year as well.

Besides, who is going to be playing 3B everyday? WMB??? I'm sure he will play there but not everyday. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Johnson is here for his positional versatility...I think he's started 3 games since being acquired. He is pretty much an after-thought and is not going to take ABs from Mookie, who would not be here if he wasn't going to play.

This seems like a thread in search of a problem.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Another thing to consider is playing time and fatigue with these young kids.   They go from playing a few dozen games in high school/college to playing over 150 a year.  

What you don't see from high school until the majors is how teams slowly ramp them up.  Betts isn't going to play in ever single game the rest of the year, that would be ridiculous. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He should be DFA... He has no purpose 

[/QUOTE]

Well...the season is almost over and rosters expand.

Why?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Everyday??? at what point have they played Holt at 1 position everyday this year?  I don't think that will happen.  I think he gets some starts there, but Betts and even JBJ probably get a lot more there this year as well.

Besides, who is going to be playing 3B everyday? WMB??? I'm sure he will play there but not everyday. 

[/QUOTE]

I would guess Nava would play sometimes to add another lefty. This lineup is way too righty now. So Middlebrooks probably gets a fair amount of AB unless Cespedes plays CF and Nava and Craig are in the lineup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kelly Johnson merely being on the 40 man roster is a complete and total disgrace.

Lots of gets should be sent packing since they have no future with the team:  Johnson, Injurino, Mujica, Nava, Bucholtz... but yeah, Johnson is at the head of that list for sure.......

[/QUOTE]

This board is funny.

Johnson is gone at the end of the year, Johnson has been on 40 man rosters for a decade now and he will be on another next year,  rosters expand in a week and a half.

The fact that people get mad about Kelly Johnson getting a spot start is hilarious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would guess Nava would play sometimes to add another lefty. This lineup is way too righty now. So Middlebrooks probably gets a fair amount of AB unless Cespedes plays CF and Nava and Craig are in the lineup.

[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there an incident where Cespedes refused to play CF in Oakland???? I could be thinking of someone else but I'm pretty sure it's him.  Perhaps he'd be more willing in Boston? IDK, the outfield is crowded and decisions need to be made, I'm sure they will rotate a few guys in and out. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Nava is hitting .329 since the beginning of June. Mujica has a 3.00 ERA since the beginning of May.

If both guys figure it out (which they seem to have), they are absolutely useful to this team, now and next year.

I've never understood the urge to DFA people because they had a poor start to the season 3+ months ago. I think there are still people who don't like Badenhop because he had a bad game or two in April and probably don't realize the guy has a 2.50 ERA.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there an incident where Cespedes refused to play CF in Oakland???? I could be thinking of someone else but I'm pretty sure it's him.  Perhaps he'd be more willing in Boston? IDK, the outfield is crowded and decisions need to be made, I'm sure they will rotate a few guys in and out. 

[/QUOTE]

If Mookie was a lefty this wouldn't be a problem. The team is two righty. Only Holt and Ortiz were lefties last night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Mookie was a lefty this wouldn't be a problem. The team is two righty. Only Holt and Ortiz were lefties last night.

[/QUOTE]

Generally I agree, but right now we just need people who can hit. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wrong. Do you think they will be play Craig every day giving his foot issues?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

Another thing to consider is playing time and fatigue with these young kids.   They go from playing a few dozen games in high school/college to playing over 150 a year.  

What you don't see from high school until the majors is how teams slowly ramp them up.  Betts isn't going to play in ever single game the rest of the year, that would be ridiculous. 

[/QUOTE]

Hugh, at their age and physical condition, it should be NO problem playing every game until the season ends.

We're talking baseball here, not basketball or soccer.  It's not as if they are on a continuous move.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Hugh, at their age and physical condition, it should be NO problem playing every game until the season ends.We're talking baseball here, not basketball or soccer.  It's not as if they are on a continuous move.

Not true at all.  Although I'd admit this is more important for pitchers than it is hitters.  Guys move on every play, they are moving for shifts, moving into cut off positions, moving back etc etc etc, running to first, running to make a play, running the bases, running and sprinting and throwing before the games in warm ups and batting practices as well, time is spent in the gym as well even in days off.  Many times through out the day they are also exerting maximum effort.

yes they are young guys, but that doesn't mean they can drastically increase their workload without putting themselves at a heightened risk of injury.  

Yes Soccer and Basketball are more endurance sports, from an aerobic exercise point of view they are more stressful, but that doesn't mean that going through the every day motions of baseball from exerting maximum force on a swing, pitch, defensive running play don't wear down on the body any less....because from a physiological point of view that would not be true.

The proof is in the pudding, these guys are eased into baseball through short season ball and increased workloads in every organization across baseball.  So any time you rush a youngster to the majors there is going to be an increased risk of them reaching fatigue.  This doesn't mean they will get injured, but it could damped performance.  You're confusing a workout, with the long term effects of on ones anatomy based on their physical actions.  Let me put it to you this way,  I can lift 20 lb's 400 times every day and I would get much much much more drained in sweat and probably burn more calories; or I could lift 400 Lb's 5 times a day during the same time frame.  Overall, those are two completely different work outs, and have completely two different responses on the body, but that doesn't necessarily make one safer than the other or mean that one guy is more or less susceptible to fatigue. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]

Not true at all.  Although I'd admit this is more important for pitchers than it is hitters.  Guys move on every play, they are moving for shifts, moving into cut off positions, moving back etc etc etc, running to first, running to make a play, running the bases, running and sprinting and throwing before the games in warm ups and batting practices as well, time is spent in the gym as well even in days off.  Many times through out the day they are also exerting maximum effort.

yes they are young guys, but that doesn't mean they can drastically increase their workload without putting themselves at a heightened risk of injury.  

Yes Soccer and Basketball are more endurance sports, from an aerobic exercise point of view they are more stressful, but that doesn't mean that going through the every day motions of baseball from exerting maximum force on a swing, pitch, defensive running play don't wear down on the body any less....because from a physiological point of view that would not be true.

The proof is in the pudding, these guys are eased into baseball through short season ball and increased workloads in every organization across baseball.  So any time you rush a youngster to the majors there is going to be an increased risk of them reaching fatigue.  This doesn't mean they will get injured, but it could damped performance.  Your confusing a workout, with the long term effects of on ones anatomy based on their physical actions.  Let me put it to you this way,  I can lift 20 lb's 400 times every day and I would get much much much more drained in sweat and probably burn more calories; or I could lift 400 Lb's 5 times a day during the same time frame.  Overall, those are two completely different work outs, and have completely two different responses on the body, but that doesn't necessarily make one safer than the other. 

[/QUOTE]

Was about to post something similar.

Pro athletes, regardless of sport, experience little nagging things as the season goes on.  These will differ by sport.  In baseball, they may not be major, but the sport's every day nature can delay recovery.  The game is based on timing, it doesn't take much to throw that timing off.  If reaction time is slowed even a little bit, it changes everything.  It's another part of the adjustments these kids have to make.

Minor league ball (at least outside the Pacific Coast League) has long bus rides, but you aren't constantly changing times zones and flying cross country.  That can take a toll as well and means more adjustments.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

What is the obsession with Mookie Betts, who has yet to show me he hit MLB pitching or play a credible CF?  When he arrived at Pawtucket this season, where to date he hasn't played many games, he was already like 4-6 years younger than other AAA players.  As we have seen with Bogaerts, who probably still has a good shot at being very good and who is the same age as Betts, it is possible to move guys up to the big club too quickly.  Bogaerts continues to make astonishing mental mistakes that have cost runs--like throwing the ball to 1B before touching 2B (and it wasn't even close) on a DP and like flipping the ball late to 2B instead of making an easy throw to 1B for the final out. 

Last night Betts came to bat in the 2d inning with men on first and third and one out.  He struck out on three pitches, righty against a lefty pitcher.  So far he has looked like an ordinary rookie to me, nothing special, and I think, despite his speed, he has issues covering CF.      

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

why these fans complained about who should be batting???  dont they realized that Bett, Middy, Boggie and Bradley are all hitting under .220??   If they are hitting like .275, no way that Farrell would bench this guy.  So far they are a terrible hitter this year.

Remember, the playoff spot is getting slimmer and slimmer as the season goes by.  Farrell sometime trying to see if this team can turn around and go hot for the next six weeks.  But Nothing have work for Farrell.  Blame these rookies for not able to prove themselves that they can play at the major league level.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure he has already stated to FO that he will not play RF for the Sox.....

other names i have posted under:  none

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What is the obsession with Mookie Betts, who has yet to show me he hit MLB pitching or play a credible CF?  When he arrived at Pawtucket this season, where to date he hasn't played many games, he was already like 4-6 years younger than other AAA players.  As we have seen with Bogaerts, who probably still has a good shot at being very good and who is the same age as Betts, it is possible to move guys up to the big club too quickly.  Bogaerts continues to make astonishing mental mistakes that have cost runs--like throwing the ball to 1B before touching 2B (and it wasn't even close) on a DP and like flipping the ball late to 2B instead of making an easy throw to 1B for the final out. 

Last night Betts came to bat in the 2d inning with men on first and third and one out.  He struck out on three pitches, righty against a lefty pitcher.  So far he has looked like an ordinary rookie to me, nothing special, and I think, despite his speed, he has issues covering CF.      

[/QUOTE]
    FO is praying that Betts has a big Aug & Sep.  that will be the ticket to get stanton deal done. 

other names i have posted under:  none