If Middlebrooks Needed The Night Off, Why Did He Pinch Hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If Middlebrooks Needed The Night Off, Why Did He Pinch Hit

This is why this team is going nowhere. 

1. If Middlebrooks needed the night off, why did he pinch hit?
    2. Given that he pinch hit, why didn't he start in the first place?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: If Middlebrooks Needed The Night Off, Why Did He Pinch Hit

Young players in their early 20"s do not need games off.

They get thursdays or monday off almost every week.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hamstring injury no??? obviously it's not serious but the right thing to do is give a guy a night off for precautionary reasons.  It's not as serious taking 1 at bat as it would be playing the field all night and if he had gotten a base hit or walked I guarantee you would have seen a pinch runner in there.

Do we really need to break down every little thing.  Oh wait we stink....yeah I guess we do, huh?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to If Middlebrooks Needed The Night Off, Why Did He Pinch Hit:
    [QUOTE]This is why this team is going nowhere.  1. If Middlebrooks needed the night off, why did he pinch hit? 2. Given that he pinch hit, why didn't he start in the first place? Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Pinch hitting is about the same as a night off, and Bobby V doing it that way was genius, not dumb, dumb, dumb.  Nobody was hitting, period.  But suddenly with that one move and one first pitch swing, it was a ball game. 

The Sox lost mostly because Lester and the bullpen gave up six runs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no max, the team did nothing for 6 innings, and that falls on BV for not playing his best hitters or best chances to create offense. I get tired of it always being on the SP to throw shutout inning for shutout inning, then get lambasted when the team's offense did nothing offensively.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

But the thread is about BV sitting Middlebrooks as a precautionary measure since he has a hamstring problem. Pinch hitting is much different than playing defense for 3-4 hours. It was a sound decision.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

BV pulls off 2 pinch hitting homers late in the game in the past week and ADG starts a thread about this????

what???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Nurses standing on theor feet 8 hours a day, mixing and serving meds, guys out mowing lawns in 92 degree weather, need days off. Guys in the prime of life, standing at 3rd base or RF, or wherever, coming in for the gatorade every 5 or 10 minutes; they need days off? Really? Poor fellas gotta stay in shape to do the ESPN clips, I suppose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In Response to Re: If Middlebrooks Needed The Night Off, Why Did He Pinch Hit:
    [QUOTE]Middlebrooks has hamstring issues. They come and go. I bet they did that recent trade for a 3rd baseman with just that in mind. He probably has fewer issues with it hitting than he does fielding.
    Posted by RedsoxProspects[/QUOTE]

Really?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]no max, the team did nothing for 6 innings, and that falls on BV for not playing his best hitters or best chances to create offense. I get tired of it always being on the SP to throw shutout inning for shutout inning, then get lambasted when the team's offense did nothing offensively.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I entirely agree the offense stank last night.  But I don't agree Middlebrooks was somehow going to transform things with a couple of earlier at bats. 

Dempsey was throwing a ton of breaking balls which were very effective.  He held Ells and CC, both lefties against a righty starter, to one hit.  Middlebrooks and Ross have found righties with good breaking pitches to be very difficult to hit even though last night they had three hits between them (surprise, surprise). 

So to me it kind of made sense to keep Middlebrooks out and let Punto start, but have the option of letting Middlebrooks  pinch hit if the right situation came up.  And it did.  That's good managing even though by far most of the credit goes to Middlebrooks for swinging at a first pitch slider up in the zone and a little bit of credit to Dempsey for throwing it.  Oh, and credit to Kinsler for making the error which led to three unearned runs. 

Bobby V has had to juggle the lineups a ton this year, and overall I think he has done a very good job.  I would have been fine with Middlebrooks starting, but did see the logic behind another lefty bat. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Middlebrooks is hitting .281 vs. right handed pitching, which is about 75 points higher than what Punto is hitting for the season.Add in the power factor, plus he'd hitting .483 vs. Texas this year, and the whole thing makes no sense.
    Middlebrooks made a couple of fine plays, while he was in there, so his mobility doesn't appear hindered.
    He's turning into a very good 3rd baseman. The bare handed throw he made on Beltre was a gem.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to If Middlebrooks Needed The Night Off, Why Did He Pinch Hit : Think about all the times Francona gave players a night off for no apparent reason. The difference is that Francona wouldn't use that player to pinch hit. Obviously Bobby will if he thinks it might help the team win.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

Exactly Bosox41...one more huge reason I like BV over TF is that he doesnt give you the game off...he lets you rest by not starting you - but expect to pinch hit/run/field if you are a starter latre in the game if needed...the whole beckett my off day is my off day nonsense is the sense of entitlement that Francona brought to this team (where he would never/hardly use playets who didnt start)....the team comes first - not your off day...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No it doesn't make sense....but it does make sense if he was nursing a hamstring injury.

What could sideline someone for a day or two could turn into a DL stint if not managed properly.  

Playing 9 innings, fielding for 9 innings, and taking 4-5 at-bats is a lot different than pinch hitting.  Understanding that he could likely get a days rest and still be available for a pinch hit was good managing (this is not an overall approval for Bobby V) and it worked out even better as he hit a HR.

If Middlebrooks played the whole game, maybe he could have been hurt in the 3rd, 4th inning....then he doesn't play for a whole week???? we don't know.

Most players will not play 162 games in a season, and there is a difference between a trend and a one time event.  If Middlebrooks was CONSTANTLY being benched when the numbers are clearly in his favor that is one thing, but picking and choosing and criticizing one days rest is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fenwayjimy. Show Fenwayjimy's posts

Some scheduled days off are determined by the FO also I heard. It is not only up to Bobbie. Sometimes it might become apparent that a player looks spent and could use a rest. We are not that close to really form a reasoned opinion.