If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?

If Lackey isn't in the rotation for the post season, then there is no reason to have him on the post season roster.  If he's on the roster, then he's either the #3 or #4 starter.  You can't leave the 2nd highest paid player on the team off the post season roster. 

Lackey should be OK in the first 2 rounds of the play-offs as the #3 starter.  I don't see anyone in the AL with a #3 starter and that the Sox offense can't punish.

The WS is a different story. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?

Lackey WILL be pitching in game 3 in post season period.  Lackey ain't first nor second starter.  He's a 3rd or 4th starter for th Sox.  He does not have to win 20 games.  not even 17 or 18 games BECAUSE he's not an ace.  Let me just say this.  Clay comes back, Lackey goes 4th in starting rotation.  Because of his contract and the fact that once he was a 19 game winner with career low ERA just above 3.00, We expect too much out of him.  He had his career year with the Angels.  Now he's with us in 3rd or 4th spot in the rotation.  For his last 16 starts, he's 10-5.  He beat Yankees twice out of 3 tries.  He deserves to take the mound in game 3 of playoff series against any team.  If we need 4th starter in post season games, Erik Bedard will start that game who has been solid this year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?:
    [QUOTE]Lackey WILL be pitching in game 3 in post season period.  Lackey ain't first nor second starter.  He's a 3rd or 4th starter for th Sox.  He does not have to win 20 games.  not even 17 or 18 games BECAUSE he's not an ace.  Let me just say this.  Clay comes back, Lackey goes 4th in starting rotation.  Because of his contract and the fact that once he was a 19 game winner with career low ERA just above 3.00, We expect too much out of him.  He had his career year with the Angels.  Now he's with us in 3rd or 4th spot in the rotation.  For his last 16 starts, he's 10-5.  He beat Yankees twice out of 3 tries.  He deserves to take the mound in game 3 of playoff series against any team.  If we need 4th starter in post season games, Erik Bedard will start that game who has been solid this year. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I think you have it reversed.  Bedard is the game 3 starter.  His stuff is better.  Yes Lackey has pitched better, but not spectacular...he has had a LOT of run support as well.  He still has a4.00 + era in that span while Bedard has pitched a .344 and he has pitched well since joining the Sox.

If Bedard is healthy he is the # 3 starter.

If Bedard is not the #3 Starter and Lackey is a #3 starter....then the Sox would never have traded for a starting pitcher. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

That is depend which pitcher can go deeper in the game.  Last seven out of eight games for Lackey (one of the game he only pitched 5 innings due it was a blown out), Lackey have gone 6 innings or longer.  For Miller, he only have gone to 6 innings twice this year.  Bedard is about the same as Miller, but Bedard's problem is the run support.

So I strongly think that Lackey will get the nod to start game #3, and then will come down to Miller or Bedard for the next four weeks to start game #4.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dirck2005. Show Dirck2005's posts

I think it will really depend on who our first round match is against.  If Det or Tex struggle against LHP then why not Beckett and 3 LHP?  Bedard, if healthy is a lock for #3. I think there is zero chance Wake makes the playoff roster unless the wheels fall off someone.  Lackey seems to be an expensive long man out of the pen.  Miller or Aceves might be the better 4th starter.  I have a feeling Bucholtz makes it back to at least be an arm out of the pen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Bedard is the new Boddiker... you can depend on him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?:
    [QUOTE]Bedard is the new Boddiker... you can depend on him.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I would love Bedard (or Lackey) be another Boddicker. He was great for the Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?:
    [QUOTE]I would. We know what Bedard and Lackey bring to the table. But if Miller is very impressive in his next few starts in September, I wouldn't hesitate to put him in the playoff starting rotation.
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]
    On the flip side, if in his September starts Andrew Miller reverts to his career ERA of 5.62, or his July ERA of 6.28, I would hesitate to put the lefthander into the postseason starting rotation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Bedard is the new Boddiker... you can depend on him.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

not an apples to apples comaparison...Boddiker was slotted as our #2 behind Clemen's....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation? : I would love Bedard (or Lackey) be another Boddicker. He was great for the Sox.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I knew Mike Boddicker, I watched Mike Boddicker pitch, I've seen him win many a ballgame over the years, you sir, Eric Bedard are no Mike Boddicker. But I like you as a 5-inn lefty. thank you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation? : I knew Mike Boddicker, I watched Mike Boddicker pitch, I've seen him win many a ballgame over the years, you sir, Eric Bedard are no Mike Boddicker. But I like you as a 5-inn lefty. thank you.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Mike Boddicker posted a WAR* of 29.0, an ERA of 3.80, a WHIP of 1.32 and an ERA+ of 108 in 342 career games, including 309 starts.

Erik Bedard has posted a WAR of 18.8, an ERA of 3.68, a WHIP of 1.31 and an ERA+ of 120 in 165 career games, including 162 starts.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/boddimi01.shtml
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bedarer01.shtml

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Bedard is healthy, he is the #3.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Boddicker faced Steroid Users aplenty, how many did Bedard face?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Boddicker's breaking ball was beauty.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

you gotta go with experience when it comes down to playoff pitching, give the ball to lackey or bedard before the kid imo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Boddicker faced Steroid Users aplenty, how many did Bedard face?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    That's one reason why I provided the ERA+, which measures a player against his contemporaries (and where Erik Bedard has the largest margin against Mike Boddicker).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

hill55, what are your thoughts on tERA? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]hill55, what are your thoughts on tERA?  
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I am not familiar with tERA ... where can I learn about it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/pitching/tera/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/what-is-tra/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I know it was a risky comparrison, and yes Boddiker was better.  However I liken Bedard to him because like Bodiker Bedard appears to be dependable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dependable in what way?

I really like Bedard, but he had only 30 starts in the 3 years from 2008 to 2010.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yeah, that's the thing about Bedard, he's been good for the Sox, don't get my wrong, but dependable over course of time? I don't know. Boddicker was a top of the line No. 2 starter in his hey day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Moonslow says Wastefield has better starter numbers than Lackey or Bedard. Expect Timmy Wastefield to be Game 3 starter in ALDS. Expect Doubrant and Miller to be told to watch and take notes on the great master Wastefield. Timmy is more experienced than Lackey or Bedard. Need that experience and efficiency from Wastefield.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bedard has 21 starts already this year, so maybe he has gotten over the injury bug.

His ERA is low (3.48), but his WHIP is about average (1.346) thanks to 9 BB in 25 IP. I like what I have seen so far.

With Lackey, Miller and Wake being such question marks right now, Bedard is offering some much needed stabilty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]Terry Francona wll have John Lackey pitching Game 3 in the playoffs....Tito sticks with his guys. Probabky not the right decision but the one he will make.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]
    You're probably right.  Jesus if we're gonna send Lackey out there I'd rather draw a ticket stub out of a hat and start the lucky fan.