If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?

Please this is no disrespect for Reddick and Bedard. But if you can possibly tell me how in the f-kng world they are being compared to Dwight Should Be In the Hall of Fame Without Doubt Evans and Mike Boddicker, then let me sell you on the idea that Theo signed Lackey to be a No. 5 starter and CC to be an average to mediocre LF who can meet his norms after an atrocious April. I give up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?

I think it's great that Bedard, bad rap he got in the beginning and all, is now the hands down #3 starter. What a pick-up that could turn out to be. I love it when they prove the naysayers wrong.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?:
    [QUOTE]Please this is no disrespect for Reddick and Bedard. But if you can possibly tell me how in the f-kng world they are being compared to Dwight Should Be In the Hall of Fame Without Doubt Evans and Mike Boddicker, then let me sell you on the idea that Theo signed Lackey to be a No. 5 starter and CC to be an average to mediocre LF who can meet his norms after an atrocious April. I give up.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    I provided basic numbers for Erik Bedard and Mike Boddicker and let the reader make a comparison.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hill, did you check out the links to "tERA"?

Let me know your thoughts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation? : I provided basic numbers for Erik Bedard and Mike Boddicker and let the reader make a comparison.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

hill, statistics on a player only tell you part of the story, and that's something that I don't think people take into account. When i criticize a CC, it's not just about batting. When it's Lackey, it's not entirely about his pitching stats, but his pitching effectiveness..two things that you would think are the same, but really aren't. But when you take a young player like Reddick or a middle-of-the-road lefty like Bedard and then throw out comparisons to guys who went on to become All-Stars or had distinguished careers, you are making the comparisons more than what they are---guesses, and not educated ones at that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Between the two, at least Bedard has some pedigree, I see nothing from Reddick, but a lot of near miss swings. In other words, he cannot get the fat part of his bat on the ball with any consistency. That is a primary difference between a good hitter and a not so good hitter. I'll give you an example. Russell Martin is a professional hitter, a veteran now. What did he do when he was deep in that count v. Bard? He drove a ball to right-center with the baserunners in motion--off of a guy who has been lights out. He's a professional hitter. Reddick? A prospect but not a guy who can be given a full-time job with any expectation of production.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

My point on using Martin is that the better hitters, the ones that stick around baseball have the ability to make great swings at any point of an at bat. The more you get ahead on Reddick, the more he becomes an easy out. He swings a lot lately at first pitches, an indication of a guy who is losing confidence in his ability to hit. He is a very good defensive player, but in no way is he Dwight Evans, even in that respect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm slamming Josh, but he is young and he has a lot to learn. Except this is his third turn in MLB, not second, not 1st. Third. It's time he get his act together as a hitter. I see regression not improvement after that hot month.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Lackey is the number three. He has playoff experience and has done well in the PS.
    Bedard is the number 4 when it goes to 7 games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I'm slamming Josh, but he is young and he has a lot to learn. Except this is his third turn in MLB, not second, not 1st. Third. It's time he get his act together as a hitter. I see regression not improvement after that hot month.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Danny, I am agreeing with you. My "guess" would be that Reddick never comes close to Dewey, 1st half, 2nd half, career, whatever. I think their point was that by looking at dewey's first 400 PAs, who knew he'd go on to become a pretty darn good power hitter and OBP guy. Yes, it is a "guess", but the guess on Dewey after 1973 would have been about the same as reddick now, and sometimes we are wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]hill55, what are your thoughts on tERA?  
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the links ... I'm interested in any stat that incorporates BABIP.

Erik Bedard has a career tERA of 3.81, but I could not find a tERA for Mike Boddicker. I hope no one misconstrued my earlier comparison of Bedard and Boddicker. I was a huge fan of Boddicker, who played on legendary high school teams in tiny, tiny Norway, Iowa, when I was growing up in that state.

http://www.norwaybaseball.com/indexFlash.php?page=index

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I guess that possibility os off the table.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Did not take 45 pitches tonight to retire this OP!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ughh!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Could we assume that Wakefield would have done better??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Could we assume that Wakefield would have done better??
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]Be pretty hard to be any worse. 26 balls - 26 strikes and 5 of those strikes were hits including a ball that still hasn't landed in.

6 runs - 5 hits, 1 1/3 IP. For all the board was on fire about Wake's last start against the A's this is much worse on the stinker meter. It isn't a shock, Miller has had these problems at every stop in MLB so far. The shock is a two game stretch would make so many forget that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Miller's performance tonite certainly stands out!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

It's Miller Time ... start him in the playoffs.  In Pawtucket.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation? : Thanks for the links ... I'm interested in any stat that incorporates BABIP. Erik Bedard has a career tERA of 3.81, but I could not find a tERA for Mike Boddicker. I hope no one misconstrued my earlier comparison of Bedard and Boddicker. I was a huge fan of Boddicker, who played on legendary high school teams in tiny, tiny Norway, Iowa, when I was growing up in that state. http://www.norwaybaseball.com/indexFlash.php?page=index
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

tERA is based on data that wasn't available in Boddiker's time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think Wake is now the #5 starter.  Miller is back in limbo because the Sox can't park him anywhere.   If he leaves the Sox, he is free to go anywhere. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's a one game sample size guys. 

Nobody should judged on one game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2for4. Show 2for4's posts

Yup.  He's the answer.

In Response to If Miller pitches outstanding in his next few starts, would you take out Lackey or Bedard from the playoff rotation?:
    [QUOTE]I would. We know what Bedard and Lackey bring to the table. But if Miller is very impressive in his next few starts in September, I wouldn't hesitate to put him in the playoff starting rotation.
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Award for the thread with the shortest lifespan..."If Miller pitches outstanding..."

Bedard as far as I'm concerned is number three, Lackey a reluctant number four as we have no other better choice. Wake on playoff roster but only for long relief emergency.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The silence is deafening.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]The silence is deafening.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Huh?