If not Bard, who?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: If not Bard, who?

Saw Cook pitch and he looked good on Sat. Aceves got hammered on every pitch except when he got Pence on 2 SO. I'd go with Buch, Josh, Jon, Doubrant and Cook and have Melancon, Bailey, Aceves and Bard in the BP. I'd have them anchor the BP.
    The other 3 would be Bowden, Morales and Atchinson who would be ready early on every time Doubrant and Cook pitched. If I got 3 or 4 and luckily 5 out of the 4 & 5 starters the others I'd also hope to get 2 or 3 out of.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have been a proponent of keeping Bard and Aceves in the pen and acquiring a established Starter(Oswalt....Floyd....etc), but barring that happening I have come over to the side that we give Bard a shot at the Rotation, because his upside his higher than any of the other candidates, and I also believe Doubront has locked up a spot....that means Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Doubront and Bard.....lots of question marks, but potentially a staff of #1 and #2 type starters.....changes can always be made in May or when/if Dice K comes back. Aceves back in the pen along with Bailey, Melancon, Morales, Albers, Bowden and I will say Clayton Mortenson( has had a good spring, pitched pretty good last year with Colorado, and adds a nice symmetry to the Pen to only have guys whose names start with A, B or M).  Padilla scares me....historically it is only a matter of time before he blows up and this team needs a cohesive attitude this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

I think bobby v is too busy trying to figure out what to do with the charity money than what to do with this mess of a staff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2012/03/26/this_is_no_time_for_red_sox_to_stop_bard_starts/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Doubront and Cook.  What's the point in saying there is competition when the best pitchers in Spring Training don't end up getting the starting jobs.  Bard sucks as a starter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: If not Bard, who?:
    [QUOTE]Doubront and Cook.  What's the point in saying there is competition when the best pitchers in Spring Training don't end up getting the starting jobs.  Bard sucks as a starter.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

How's green bay this time of year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]Doubront and Cook.  What's the point in saying there is competition when the best pitchers in Spring Training don't end up getting the starting jobs.  Bard sucks as a starter.

You live in Green Bay?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

What's the point of planning an offseason around the assumption that Bard will be moved to the rotation only to abandon the plan in March? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

daniel bad has not looked so good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If not Bard, who? : You live in Green Bay?
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

He's a fan of titletown

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]daniel bad has not looked so good.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Which is why we have spring training.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If not Bard, who? : Which is why we have spring training.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

You have spring training so daniel bad can not look so good?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If not Bard, who? : You have spring training so daniel bad can not look so good?
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Or so a guy who has never started has the opportunity to get a few starts under his belt in games that don't matter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If not Bard, who? : Yes.  Or so a guy who has never started has the opportunity to get a few starts under his belt in games that don't matter.

Actually, I believe he was a starter his whole career until coming to the sawx.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If not Bard, who? : Actually, I believe he was a starter his whole career until coming to the sawx.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm sure he is drawing on his experience from starting in A ball in 2007 to help him with this transition.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If not Bard, who? : Yes, I'm sure he is drawing on his experience from starting in A ball in 2007 to help him with this transition.

Judging from his results so far this spring it looks like that's exactly what he's doing!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20220326bard_better_in_this_start_bid_to_make_rotation_improves/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If not Bard, who? : Judging from his results so far this spring it looks like that's exactly what he's doing!!
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Touche.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness-envy. Show harness-envy's posts

In response to "If not Bard, who?": [QUOTE]Everyone seems pretty doubtful about Daniel Bard as a starting pitcher, but who else is there? Aceves got shelled the other day and has a less than stellar history as a starter. Doubront looks pretty good, but he's unproven at the major league level - and if he's the fourth starter, who's the fifth? And what happens if the oft-injured Buccholz breaks down again this year? Cook shows some promise, and Padilla may be a serviceable starter, but pitching depth isn't the strong suit of the 2012 Red Sox. Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE] Wakefield is available and experienced.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Bard was a SP in college. Came to the RS and failed thus became a RP. Where he has done admirally. To make him a SP after he has thrown on two pitches for 4 years andhave him develope a third in ST is going to be tough. IMHO his most help to th RS is in the BP.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Wakefield can still win 15 games...lol

Sections
Shortcuts