If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees

He'll be THE MOST hated former Red Sox EVER. More the Damon, Clemens, or Boggs. Because of what he has meant to this organization if he went to the Yankees I could never forgive him. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees

Sign Vladdie

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Big Papi will be in the Red Sox hall of fame no matter what jersey he wears next year. No Big Big Papi = Still no championships since 1918. If you would ever boo David Ortiz, then you are truly a classless individual.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If Ortiz leaves for the Yankees then we move on.  

Life will always go on.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees:
    [QUOTE]Big Papi will be in the Red Sox hall of fame no matter what jersey he wears next year. No Big Big Papi = Still no championships since 1918. If you would ever boo David Ortiz, then you are truly a classless individual.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

sorry Carnie - we can boo anyone we want - if he taunts us with threats of going to the Yanks (which is bad enough) and then follows thru, he would have earned it...he is becoming sort of a diva...I wish we had kept VMART and let David walk last year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankeefan11. Show yankeefan11's posts

Don't worry about Ortiz going to the Yanks. That will never happen.

I mean, how many mid- to late-30's DHs do the Yanks need, anyway? Especially ones with bad attitudes and big contracts.

You folks can keep him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Forget Vlad if Oritz goes.

Can leave DH open for a regular who need a rest such as to use Lavarnway, Youkilis, A-Gonz, etc so that way no one can take too many day off for the year!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees:
    [QUOTE]He'll be THE MOST hated former Red Sox EVER. More the Damon, Clemens, or Boggs. Because of what he has meant to this organization if he went to the Yankees I could never forgive him. Thoughts?
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]

Actually his time in Boston is probably done and he might not even get offered a contract from the Red Sox...if that happened then Damon (who was the poster child because he left Boston for NY even though Boston offered him a contract) and Clemens (although he was traded to NY he had a chance to re-sign with the Red Sox but spurned them to stay with the Yankees) would retain the torch of being the most hated Sox to move to NY.

Boggs was different because the Sox didn't look to re-sign him before he went to NY.

Plus Clemens milked his last contract with the Sox before signing with the Blue Jays and becoming a Cy Young level pitcher again there...that course of events triggered a lot of hatred from Sox fans who watched him pitch his last 2 years here, even though he turned it back on during the 2nd half of '96 (i.e. another 20 K performance) to show other teams he still had something left.

That is my thoughts on it anyways.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

He should be offered $5-10 for one year. If he says NO then let him walk. I however would never boo him. I doubt if more than ten percent of the crowd would boo him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yankees don't want Ortiz.  End of story.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Idiocy of the highest order!

More propaganda and fodder for the rumor mongering press.

A. Yankees fans hate Ortiz more than other Red Sox. Because he has burned them so often and has been a perfect counter balance to all big egos that have played in Yankee stripes ( A-Rod, Clemens etc.).

B. Ortiz is strictly a DH , has been for about 10 years now. Yankees have too many candidates for the A.L.'s retirement plan ( designated hitter). A-Rod, Jeter and in the very near future Teixeira will be useless as position players as their contracts linger and their mobility deteriorates further with age.

C. A player like Ortiz no longer commands big bucks. Like an aging Johnny Damon found work in Tampa, Ortiz will only be desirable to smaller market teams looking for a cheap fix with left handed power to the batting order,  Sox and Yankees do not have this need.

D. Ortiz will never be "hated" by real Red Sox fans. Just like Pedro was painted as a villian or a "diva" as some say, real Red Sox baseball fans know that these are two players who brought respect and a swagger to this team. Simply put, they were clutch and they delivered. We will always regard them as our heroes.

E. Boggs may not be the most fan friendly Sox player ever, but really, can you and do you "hate" Wade Boggs???...and why ever would you? He really never did anything to hurt us.

F. Can you honestly picture David Ortiz having less class than Roger Clemens? This is why people hate him, not because he played for the Yankees, but because he is basically an @SSH---. Damon said some dumb stuff when he first went to New York, but he's toned his act down. Never really "hated" him. He went for the better contract. Not really anything new in pro sports...they pretty much all do that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

He would be a nice addition to the Yankees especially playing in the Stadium but being as one dimensional as he is I can't see him fitting their needs especially with ARod declining in the field as he has been during the last two years. Papi has been a great player for the Sox someone I would never boo; I can't imagine anyone in Red Sox Nation booing a player that has been such a big part of our history.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Idiocy of the highest order! More propaganda and fodder for the rumor mongering press. A. Yankees fans hate Ortiz more than other Red Sox. Because he has burned them so often and has been a perfect counter balance to all big egos that have played in Yankee stripes ( A-Rod, Clemens etc.). B. Ortiz is strictly a DH , has been for about 10 years now. Yankees have too many candidates for the A.L.'s retirement plan ( designated hitter). A-Rod, Jeter and in the very near future Teixeira will be useless as position players as their contracts linger and their mobility deteriorates further with age. C. A player like Ortiz no longer commands big bucks. Like an aging Johnny Damon found work in Tampa, Ortiz will only be desirable to smaller market teams looking for a cheap fix with left handed power to the batting order,  Sox and Yankees do not have this need. D. Ortiz will never be "hated" by real Red Sox fans. Just like Pedro was painted as a villian or a "diva" as some say, real Red Sox baseball fans know that these are two players who brought respect and a swagger to this team. Simply put, they were clutch and they delivered. We will always regard them as our heroes. E. Boggs may not be the most fan friendly Sox player ever, but really, can you and do you "hate" Wade Boggs???...and why ever would you? He really never did anything to hurt us. F. Can you honestly picture David Ortiz having less class than Roger Clemens? This is why people hate him, not because he played for the Yankees, but because he is basically an @SSH---. Damon said some dumb stuff when he first went to New York, but he's toned his act down. Never really "hated" him. He went for the better contract. Not really anything new in pro sports...they pretty much all do that.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I think Papi has gotten a free ride in Boston for his heroics - he always sided with Manny or defended him throughout all his shenanigans (including the assault of an elderly employee)

His drug test press conference was an embarrassment to all -

His meltdown in front of the camera's during Tito's press conference was painful to even fathom...seriously what the heck was that all about? An RBI? Really?

Now this stupidity after throwing his manager under the bus with his Aceves remark and September non-leadership...

He should not be signed and go elsewhere...and if he chooses to sign with NYY, then he should be bood heartily...I watched Yaz get boo'd for years...Papi is a sliver of the man Yaz was for the Sox and I could care less how many championships he won....Yaz was the real deal who left it all on the field until he could barely walk....Papi wont even run out of the batter's box....DH's are like middle relievers - they are everywhere and easily replaced

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees : I think Papi has gotten a free ride in Boston for his heroics - he always sided with Manny or defended him throughout all his shenanigans (including the assault of an elderly employee) His drug test press conference was an embarrassment to all - His meltdown in front of the camera's during Tito's press conference was painful to even fathom...seriously what the heck was that all about? An RBI? Really? Now this stupidity after throwing his manager under the bus with his Aceves remark and September non-leadership... He should not be signed and go elsewhere...and if he chooses to sign with NYY, then he should be bood heartily...I watched Yaz get boo'd for years...Papi is a sliver of the man Yaz was for the Sox and I could care less how many championships he won....Yaz was the real deal who left it all on the field until he could barely walk....Papi wont even run out of the batter's box....DH's are like middle relievers - they are everywhere and easily replaced
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Sounds an awful lot like JackBU.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Pike, im not sure what that means but I do wish we couldve kept VMART for the dh/catching...we would be in such better shape...although Ortiz was pretty darn good this year....I can see his side of it - I bet he is like "what do i have to do for this team to get a contract".....but the Yankees????? that crossed the line...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

AfterOrtiz's remarks about playing for the Yankee's it seems to me that the Sox should not even consider resigning him. I would let him go, then he will see for himself that  the market for a slow 36 year old DH only is not the best position to be in.
    Ortiz has every right to make the best deal he can for himself, but to say the things he has said, that's not exactly showing any love to the Sox, and he should be gone. I personally would not even consider having him back if I were Sox management.

And where or why does he think the Yankee's would want him? I really don't think they need a slow DH, as they have several aging players now, and will have to rest or DH some quite a bit next year. I really don;t think the Yankee's want to throw money[20plus for two years] at Ortiz.
    So I say good luck David, you were very good for the Sox the last 9 years, now it's time to cut ties with you. Iwould not boo Ortiz if he came back in another uniform, but to go to NY after his recent comments, I would have to possibly reconsider,

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Papi is not going to the Yankees.
    They view the DH as a place to rest players, or ones with minor injuries.
    Plus, ARod, and Jeter aren't getting any younger, and Montiero appears to be a superb young hitter with no position.
    Why hinder the progress of Montiero, by signing Papi? Makes little sense for the Yankees.
    The O's throw money around. Maybe they'll chase Ortiz. I just don't see a lot of landing places for him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]He should be offered $5-10 for one year. If he says NO then let him walk. I however would never boo him. I doubt if more than ten percent of the crowd would boo him.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

That is overpaying the 36 year Papi. You can't pay him for past work. He was a great hero with the Sox. But I think his heroics have past him buy. He had nice cushy numbers this year, but where was his leadership in the clubhouse? He never ran hard to first. He can't play the field. He can't run. And he complains all too much lately(over the past few season). Time to offer him the bare bones...take it or leave it

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees : That is overpaying the 36 year Papi. You can't pay him for past work. He was a great hero with the Sox. But I think his heroics have past him buy. He had nice cushy numbers this year, but where was his leadership in the clubhouse? He never ran hard to first. He can't play the field. He can't run. And he complains all too much lately(over the past few season). Time to offer him the bare bones...take it or leave it
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Leaders are born. It takes a certain personality. Some have it and others do not. Papi should get the going rate for a good DH. Let the market determine it. Let us not forget the forum regulars who insisted on signing Adam Dunn. How many DH hitters did better than Papi this last season?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If he jumps ship, the Red Sox will be able to rest their position players more by DHing them occasionally, something they can't do now. They will also faster as a team, and not play with a 24 man roster against the NL on the road.

And one more thing, they'll get $12.5M off the books.

Good riddance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

[QUOTE]Papi is not going to the Yankees. They view the DH as a place to rest players, or ones with minor injuries. Plus, ARod, and Jeter aren't getting any younger, and Montiero appears to be a superb young hitter with no position. Why hinder the progress of Montiero, by signing Papi? Makes little sense for the Yankees. The O's throw money around. Maybe they'll chase Ortiz. I just don't see a lot of landing places for him.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]
    You're exactly right. What surprises me though is why would Papi even bring it up? He has absolutely nothing to gain by saying what he said.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

A source told the Daily News that Ortiz would be a fit in pinstripes only if he were willing to sign a small contract and accept a bench role.

"They have enough DH types," the source told the newspaper. "At the numbers he's making, it wouldn't be a fit. If he wanted to sign for a million or two, it may be worth pursuing."

That is a concession Ortiz, 36, is unlikely to make after hitting .309 with 29 homers and 96 RBIs this season.

Speaking to ESPN earlier this week, Ortiz said, "There's too much drama (in Boston). I have been thinking about a lot of things. I don't know if I want to be part of this drama for next year."

When asked if the Yankees would be a possibility this offseason, Ortiz didn't rule them out.

"That's something that I've got to think about," Ortiz told ESPN. "Who doesn't want to be involved with a good organization that everything goes down the right way?"

Ortiz has been a thorn in the Yankees side since joining the Red Sox in 2003. In 170 career regular season games against New York, Ortiz has hit .303 with 36 homers and 127 RBIs. He also played a vital role in Boston's comeback from a 3-0 series deficit in the 2004 ALCS, hitting .387 (12-for-31) with three homers and 11 RBIs. In that series, Ortiz had walkoff hits in Games 4 and 5.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-10-14/despite-comments-david-ortiz-unlikely-to-wear-pinstripes#ixzz1anCcvdCC

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I think the Yankees are not going to bite for him...but you know who might????

TAMPA BAY RAYS!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees : You're exactly right. What surprises me though is why would Papi even bring it up? He has absolutely nothing to gain by saying what he said.
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]He didn't bring it up. He was asked specifically by the interviewer if he would consider the Yankees if the Sox don't bring him back. He said "I'd have to think about it." Then he talked about all the drama (negativity) surrounding the Sox right now. He also said you don't get that with the Yankees. I think he may be a bit naive on that last point.