If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees

His interview sounded more like he was trying to convince the Sox listeners or FO that if the Yankees came calling he would be interested - since the Sox didn't try to get a deal done with Papi - he will walk and he will get paid, but not by the Yanks.  The Angels might be interested as well as several other AL teams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

If I liked someone, I would be happy for them leaving this organization.

Doesn't mean I don't want him here, or to win, but you all missed the key part of the quote: "THE OWNERS need to get this straightened out."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In Response to Re: If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees:
    [QUOTE]Idiocy of the highest order! More propaganda and fodder for the rumor mongering press. A. Yankees fans hate Ortiz more than other Red Sox. Because he has burned them so often and has been a perfect counter balance to all big egos that have played in Yankee stripes ( A-Rod, Clemens etc.). B. Ortiz is strictly a DH , has been for about 10 years now. Yankees have too many candidates for the A.L.'s retirement plan ( designated hitter). A-Rod, Jeter and in the very near future Teixeira will be useless as position players as their contracts linger and their mobility deteriorates further with age. C. A player like Ortiz no longer commands big bucks. Like an aging Johnny Damon found work in Tampa, Ortiz will only be desirable to smaller market teams looking for a cheap fix with left handed power to the batting order,  Sox and Yankees do not have this need. D. Ortiz will never be "hated" by real Red Sox fans. Just like Pedro was painted as a villian or a "diva" as some say, real Red Sox baseball fans know that these are two players who brought respect and a swagger to this team. Simply put, they were clutch and they delivered. We will always regard them as our heroes. E. Boggs may not be the most fan friendly Sox player ever, but really, can you and do you "hate" Wade Boggs???...and why ever would you? He really never did anything to hurt us. F. Can you honestly picture David Ortiz having less class than Roger Clemens? This is why people hate him, not because he played for the Yankees, but because he is basically an @SSH---. Damon said some dumb stuff when he first went to New York, but he's toned his act down. Never really "hated" him. He went for the better contract. Not really anything new in pro sports...they pretty much all do that.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

why do you have to scream in bold freakin letters?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Tampa rather to sign Damon than Oritz cuz Damon told the team that he wanted to come back!!!  Both will probably demand same amount of money.  So therefore Tampa will stick with Damon.  

Where will Papi go, more likely outside of the AL East such as Angels/White Sox/Seattle/etc

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

[QUOTE]Big Papi will be in the Red Sox hall of fame no matter what jersey he wears next year. No Big Big Papi = Still no championships since 1918. If you would ever boo David Ortiz, then you are truly a classless individual.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

You've got that right Carnie, spot on. If he walks, and realistically it could happen, if the Yankees take a punt on him, he could hit 40-45 homeruns playing in Yankee Stadium. Should the Sox keep the big , I guess it depends on his demands.

He can still hit, one problem is having him and AGON back to back, neither can run, I know you don't have to run when you hit the ball out of the park, but I saw it a few times this year where they only advanced to second and third on hits to the outfield.

That along with the predominantly left handed lineup, I think they should go after a right handed position player, Michael Young would have been a good candidate, there are others, Cuddyer. They need to get deeper and younger, a player who can only DH is a problem, especially when they carry 11-12 pitchers. Maybe time to let the big fella go, as you stated, he is the main reason for two WS championships, but he isn't happy here and wants out , so be it. Sad but what else do you do?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

test

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]If he jumps ship, the Red Sox will be able to rest their position players more by DHing them occasionally, something they can't do now. They will also faster as a team, and not play with a 24 man roster against the NL on the road. And one more thing, they'll get $12.5M off the books. Good riddance.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Plus maybe 2 comp picks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Tampa rather to sign Damon than Oritz cuz Damon told the team that he wanted to come back!!!  Both will probably demand same amount of money.  So therefore Tampa will stick with Damon.   Where will Papi go, more likely outside of the AL East such as Angels/White Sox/Seattle/etc
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

If Damon and Papi cost the same, TB would easily choose Papi.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Again, if Papi wants to be a Yankee, he should go for it. IMO every Sox player knows what that sounds like to a Sox fan. I lived through Damon going and he was my favorite Sox player at the time. I still remember the call I got from my brother, a Yankee fan who followed in my dad's footsteps, just to let me know. Awesome.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees:
    [QUOTE]He'll be THE MOST hated former Red Sox EVER. More the Damon, Clemens, or Boggs. Because of what he has meant to this organization if he went to the Yankees I could never forgive him. Thoughts?
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]
    Red Sox fans can be the most spiteful bunch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees : Red Sox fans can be the most spiteful bunch.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Which one of the Yankees' most popular players went to the Red Sox?  Easy to single out Sox fans when Yankee fans have never experienced the departure of one of their most beloved players to their rival. Cheap shot, if you ask me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees : Which one of the Yankees' most popular players went to the Red Sox?  Easy to single out Sox fans when Yankee fans have never experienced the departure of one of their most beloved players to their rival. Cheap shot, if you ask me.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    And that is why we spiteful Red Sox fans call their organization the evil empire.  Occupy NYY.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Ortiz jumps ship to the Yankees : And that is why we spiteful Red Sox fans call their organization the evil empire.  Occupy NYY.
    Posted by RedSoxvsGiants[/QUOTE]

Isn't that totally someone's perspective?  It must be great when you have nothing to compare it to.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Papi is not going to the Yankees. They view the DH as a place to rest players, or ones with minor injuries. Plus, ARod, and Jeter aren't getting any younger, and Montiero appears to be a superb young hitter with no position. Why hinder the progress of Montiero, by signing Papi? Makes little sense for the Yankees. The O's throw money around. Maybe they'll chase Ortiz. I just don't see a lot of landing places for him.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

I agree that Ortiz won't be signed by the Yankees.  They already having enough aging players that can DH and won't sign anyone else.  Not sure who would pay Ortiz's salary since he is going to want a substantial amount.  If he isn't resigned by the Red Sox for next season, he may not even make close to what he wants. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I hope he goes back to the Twins, would make a good story.. m aybe it 30 homers... whatever he does I hope it is not here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Yankees are not going to bite for him...but you know who might???? TAMPA BAY RAYS!!
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Tampa Bay possibly could sign Ortiz.  Not sure they will pay him what he wants. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

They could use him, he could offer Longoria what Manny was supposed to offer - real protection.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Completely disagree with the OP.  Ortiz has fulfilled his contract and was in fact a fantastic acquisition from the Twins, very likely the best Theo made as the Sox GM.  He is now entitled to entertain any and all offers, and the Sox are entitled to make him a good one if they want to keep him.  The Yankees might in fact be a better fit because of the short RF porch at Yankee Stadium. 

Even though Youk can be a real pain when he sounds off, he is in my judgment a much better choice for DH next year--younger, a righty hitter which the Sox need more of in the lineup, more versatile by far, and less likely to fold in September as Ortiz did (1 dinger, 8 rbi's) this year at almost age 36. 

The problem, of course, is replacing that great righty bat at 3B, which really means that the Sox lineup will be replacing Ortiz's bat with the likes of Aviles or Middleton or someone in the trade market. 

When the Sox were running hot this year, all the way through August 27, they basically had five terrific hitters in the lineup--Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, Youk, and Papi--all of whom were in the top ten in the AL in OPS.  Yes, I know Youk's injuries started before August 27.   So I think the Sox will be tempted to try to keep all five by making some kind of offer to Ortiz, I'm guessing no more than $20M for two years. 

If Ortiz goes elsewhere, even to the Yankees, Sox fans should only be grateful for the great years he did have at Fenway--and for the personality. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

Who Cares......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Papi should keep his big mouth shut...he is going to get paid no matter what....he is just inciting fans who already are in an agitated state...dumb

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Wake should also continue to shut up...that "fans deserve to see me be the all time wins leader" was comically ill-timed given his 68 consecutive failures to get #200 and the historic collapse of the team in September.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Agon should also shut up about playing baseball in any conditions...it is called a game for a reason...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Pedey should not talk until he comes back from Cabo - his interview was an insult to all fans who demanded accountability - not names...there is a difference and Pedey didnt provide either....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Henry should not talk...bad-mouthing a player you just signed for 7 years has to make him feel real welcome and less pressured to perform

Sections
Shortcuts