If Ortiz were a FA right now, what would he get?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

If Ortiz were a FA right now, what would he get?

I ask because he EASILY could be, if he didn't pull this same stuff every season.

Coming off his BLOWN ACHILLES, he basically demanded 2 years, saying a one year offer would be an insult. He also inferred that it would be his last contract. Didn't say it, but the undertones were there.

Had he just accepted the 'insulting' 14 million qualifying, he would have made a lot of money, done what he did, be coming of a WS MVP and be a FA. 

THEN he could get 2, even 3 years, probably at closer to 18-20 mil per. 

But he didn't do that.

Funny, Ortiz, himself, has metioned it being a business many times recently. And it is. You'd think he'd make better business decisions along the way. 

This is MY issue. It's not about 15 per year. Is he worth it? Yes. Is he worth it for next year, right now? Probably. But if (when) the Sox give him that year, if he performs again this season...GUESS WHAT! He'll do it all over again. I'm tired of it. "He's just answering questions". Yup. And he's been doing that for 5 years. It gets the same response every time. And he acts somehow surprised and offended. You'd think he'd learn how to answer in a way that doesn't create the attention. Ah yes, he ENJOYS the attention. If you don't believe that, you're a fool. It's like a woman fishing for compliments. He says what he says, he KNOWS some writers will take issue, as well as some fans. He KNOWS more fans will back him and stroke his ego, as will people like pig-faced lying s l i m e b a l l hack writer Tom-fatass-e.

You don't get it both ways. If he acknowledges it's a business...understand that and don't make threats about going elsewhere this season, or going to NYY after 2011. You can't play the 'business' card when it's convenient, then play the "im big papi and have done so much" when THAT is convenient. One or the other.

Ortiz #34 Boston Red Sox 2003-... I love.

David Ortiz public speaking...I would happily erase every sungle bit of it. I know that means losing "this is our fking ceetee", but that's one of the few positive quotable moments I remember in a sea of selfish ones.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Re: If Ortiz were a FA right now, what would he get?

Don't worry.... it is a business and it will all get worked out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I ask because he EASILY could be, if he didn't pull this same stuff every season.

Coming off his BLOWN ACHILLES, he basically demanded 2 years, saying a one year offer would be an insult. He also inferred that it would be his last contract. Didn't say it, but the undertones were there.

Had he just accepted the 'insulting' 14 million qualifying, he would have made a lot of money, done what he did, be coming of a WS MVP and be a FA. 

But he didn't do that.

Funny, Ortiz, himself, has metioned it being a business many times recently. And it is. You'd think he'd make better business decisions along the way. 

This is MY issue. It's not about 15 per year. Is he worth it? Yes. Is he worth it for next year, right now? Probably. But if (when) the Sox give him that year, if he performs again this season...GUESS WHAT! He'll do it all over again. I'm tired of it. "He's just answering questions". Yup. And he's been doing that for 5 years. It gets the same response every time. And he acts somehow surprised and offended. You'd think he'd learn how to answer in a way that doesn't create the attention. Ah yes, he ENJOYS the attention. If you don't believe that, you're a fool. It's like a woman fishing for compliments. He says what he says, he KNOWS some writers will take issue, as well as some fans. He KNOWS more fans will back him and stroke his ego, as will people like pig-faced lying s l i m e b a l l hack writer Tom-fatass-e.

You don't get it both ways. If he acknowledges it's a business...understand that and don't make threats about going elsewhere this season, or going to NYY after 2011. You can't play the 'business' card when it's convenient, then play the "im big papi and have done so much" when THAT is convenient. One or the other.

David Ortiz public speaking...I would happily erase every sungle bit of it. I know that means losing "this is our fking ceetee", but that's one of the few positive quotable moments I remember in a sea of selfish ones.

So, he should have just accepted the qualifying offer in 2012 instead of lobbying for a multi-year deal?  That would be utterly terrible business.  Not to mention that the scenario you present with him earning a 18-20 mil multi year deal doesnt really stand up, since he did have a legendary year and he is still not guarnateed a one year extension at 15.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

If big papi were a FA right now with no draft compensation attached to him then he would be making 20M+ on a multiyear deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I am not sure that there would be any other team willing to pay a 39 year old player (in 2015) any more than what the Sox are paying him right now.

No National League team would be involved, half of the American league teams do not even have one 17M player on their roster never mind a guy who is very much basically a guy who does not play defense, some teams have clearly gotten away from using a full time DH for a more flexible plan where they use a rotation of "resting" fielders and some other teams are not ready to make a solid enough of a bid to make the playoffs.

I really only see the Yankees as a possibility and even they may not want to pay more than the Sox at least until Ortiz again proves himself in 2014 to be the productive player he was in 2013.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If it wasn't for the lost draft pick, I think the Yanks or some other AL team might have paid him $17M/1 or $32M/2 this winter, had Papi been a FA.

Since Papi is getting older, not many teams want to go 2 or more years with anyone his age, so losing a draft pick for just 1-2 years of service is less appealing. That factor hurts Papi's open market value, but in terms of what is he worth or what would another team pay without giving anything up, I feel Papi would get more than what he's getting paid now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

hard to believe the animus toward THE GUY responsible for the ONLY WS titles you ladies ever imagined seeing in your lifetime?????

get over yourselves!

;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I'm old school.......    Don't say jack!  Shut up & be happy!   Yada yada....   Blah blah blah blah..........    

Sorry girls!    I'd rather overpay to hear Papi's bat do the talking!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Fajitme

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm old school: pay the man what he is worth.

Respect high performance.

Pay the team's cash cow.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Do you ladies ever tire of theropod school threads on Papi!?!?!?!?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Do any of these nit wits realize that the media cycle was not 24/7 when T. Williams was in his prime.  NEWS FLASH......   Teddy would have told you ALL exactly where to milk it!!!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's not asking to renegotiate or even for a raise. 

He had a legendary season and wants a year tagged on.

It's actually a steal for Sox management as they get another year to "milk the cash cow" that is Papi.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

He is only asking for one extra year at $15 million. Why is this even a question? Pay the man. If he was asking for a 7 year contract, that would be different. Even if Boston got stuck with a declining Ortiz for one season, they are still way ahead on what they got from him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He has the right to test free agency next year, assuming the Red Sox only give him the QO.

If the Red Sox go that route and he decides to test FA, he can always ask Stephen Drew for advice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Better questions might be this.

Would David Ortiz accept a qualifying offer?

If no, what kind of contract would a guy entering his age 40 season receive as a FA?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to tripleb2066's comment:

He is only asking for one extra year at $15 million. Why is this even a question? Pay the man. If he was asking for a 7 year contract, that would be different. Even if Boston got stuck with a declining Ortiz for one season, they are still way ahead on what they got from him.

I agree. We gave Carl Crawford 7 years and $142 million, but some of us seem scared to death of potentially ending up paying one of the greatest Boston sports figures ever for one year too many.

Eventually Father Time will catch up with Ortiz...that is a given. But coming off a .300/.400/.550, 30-homer, 100-RBI season, I'll take my chances for now. As long as he keeps on performing, keep on paying him. Normally I'm on the side of financial responsibility and prudence, but as I've said before, Big Papi is a special case; if we end up way overpaying him for what he's worth in 2015, I'd just consider it "Thanks for 04/07/13" money.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

But he didn't do that.

Doesn't take much to wind you up, does it?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Better questions might be this.

Would David Ortiz accept a qualifying offer?

If no, what kind of contract would a guy entering his age 40 season receive as a FA?

The attached draft choice to QO is what would kill Papi's chance to get a better deal elsewhere. Those picks are worth about $8-11M tthese days, so when you are talking about a 1 year deal, it makes it highly unlikely anyone would pay more than the Sox, even if they value him $7-10M more than we do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

5 years @ $22MM per

Sections
Shortcuts