If Ortiz were a FA right now, what would he get?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: If Ortiz were a FA right now, what would he get?

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

5 years @ $22MM per

[/QUOTE]

110 million dollars of which 88 million will paid to him in his 30's???

Oh wait....you're joking right? 

I get jokes...lol. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I ask because he EASILY could be, if he didn't pull this same stuff every season.

Coming off his BLOWN ACHILLES, he basically demanded 2 years, saying a one year offer would be an insult. He also inferred that it would be his last contract. Didn't say it, but the undertones were there.

Had he just accepted the 'insulting' 14 million qualifying, he would have made a lot of money, done what he did, be coming of a WS MVP and be a FA. 

THEN he could get 2, even 3 years, probably at closer to 18-20 mil per. 

But he didn't do that.

Funny, Ortiz, himself, has metioned it being a business many times recently. And it is. You'd think he'd make better business decisions along the way. 

This is MY issue. It's not about 15 per year. Is he worth it? Yes. Is he worth it for next year, right now? Probably. But if (when) the Sox give him that year, if he performs again this season...GUESS WHAT! He'll do it all over again. I'm tired of it. "He's just answering questions". Yup. And he's been doing that for 5 years. It gets the same response every time. And he acts somehow surprised and offended. You'd think he'd learn how to answer in a way that doesn't create the attention. Ah yes, he ENJOYS the attention. If you don't believe that, you're a fool. It's like a woman fishing for compliments. He says what he says, he KNOWS some writers will take issue, as well as some fans. He KNOWS more fans will back him and stroke his ego, as will people like pig-faced lying s l i m e b a l l hack writer Tom-fatass-e.

You don't get it both ways. If he acknowledges it's a business...understand that and don't make threats about going elsewhere this season, or going to NYY after 2011. You can't play the 'business' card when it's convenient, then play the "im big papi and have done so much" when THAT is convenient. One or the other.

Ortiz #34 Boston Red Sox 2003-... I love.

David Ortiz public speaking...I would happily erase every sungle bit of it. I know that means losing "this is our fking ceetee", but that's one of the few positive quotable moments I remember in a sea of selfish ones.

[/QUOTE]

Despite the declining interest in the dh, if Ortiz had just finished out his last contract and was a FA after the WS, I am pretty confident that someone would have expressed interest.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tripleb2066's comment:

He is only asking for one extra year at $15 million. Why is this even a question? Pay the man. If he was asking for a 7 year contract, that would be different. Even if Boston got stuck with a declining Ortiz for one season, they are still way ahead on what they got from him.

I agree. We gave Carl Crawford 7 years and $142 million, but some of us seem scared to death of potentially ending up paying one of the greatest Boston sports figures ever for one year too many.

Eventually Father Time will catch up with Ortiz...that is a given. But coming off a .300/.400/.550, 30-homer, 100-RBI season, I'll take my chances for now. As long as he keeps on performing, keep on paying him. Normally I'm on the side of financial responsibility and prudence, but as I've said before, Big Papi is a special case; if we end up way overpaying him for what he's worth in 2015, I'd just consider it "Thanks for 04/07/13" money.

[/QUOTE]

Theo gave CC that contract and neither is around any longer.  It was a bad contract and the odds aren't good that these contracts work out in the team's favor.  Manny for the sox is one of the few which worked out in the team's favor.

I don't think the sox have shown they are scared to pay Ortiz.  The sox gave him a very nice two year deal after coming off a season where he did not play much.  Yes, it paid off and he was productive but the sox took a big chance.

it is all about supply and demand and timing.  Ortiz is going to get his extension so let's not call the sox cheap or afraid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

He is only asking for one extra year at $15 million. Why is this even a question? Pay the man. If he was asking for a 7 year contract, that would be different. Even if Boston got stuck with a declining Ortiz for one season, they are still way ahead on what they got from him.

I feel exactly the same way.  He has been our best hitter for the past decade even when Manny Ramirez was here.  He was our best hitter last year and will be our best hitter next year.  I don't get what the problem is.  The dude is a ledgend and has shown the ability to carry the team on his bat during the biggest moments time after time after time.

Pay that man his money - Pay that man his money  angry rounders jon malkovich

For all you geeks that want him to shut up, look in the mirror and shut up yourself.  You say the act is old, but was the act old in the World Series?  Exactly... now shut your f'n pie hole and let the dude negotiate.  So you don't like how he goes about negotiating... not your business. 

It's not like he is pulling a Roger Clemens or Andy Pettite where they say they are retiring and then a team is forced to overpay to lure them out of retirement.  It's not like he is some @ssclown like Barry Bonds who is a total dink.  He is the heart and soul of the Red Sox and has been for three World Series.  Now get off the dudes @ss and S_T_F_U.

Ortiz would have made much more money on the free agent market and with inflated prices he would have made around 18-21 mil this year.  We got him at a deal and we have had him at a deal for his whole career.  At no point was he ever overpaid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pay that man his money - Pay that man his money  angry rounders jon malkovich

For all you geeks that want him to shut up, look in the mirror and shut up yourself.  You say the act is old, but was the act old in the World Series?  Exactly... now shut your f'n pie hole and let the dude negotiate.  So you don't like how he goes about negotiating... not your business. 

It's not like he is pulling a Roger Clemens or Andy Pettite where they say they are retiring and then a team is forced to overpay to lure them out of retirement.  It's not like he is some @ssclown like Barry Bonds who is a total dink.  He is the heart and soul of the Red Sox and has been for three World Series.  Now get off the dudes @ss and S_T_F_U.

Ortiz would have made much more money on the free agent market and with inflated prices he would have made around 18-21 mil this year.  We got him at a deal and we have had him at a deal for his whole career.  At no point was he ever overpaid.

[/QUOTE]

BAM!

+1000000000000000000000000000

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't understand why many fans are frustrated that Papi wants another year.  Like Moon said above, Papi finish helluva year and won another ring.  He's still producing at high level.  Honestly, he's not asking much.  He's asking to finish his career in Sox uniform.  That's freaking awesome.  Just add another year and let him prepare for the season.  

Answering to the question of this thread, I think Papi could get 2 yr deal at $30M.  If there's heavier competition, the Yanks might give Ortiz a vesting option at the end of contract.  Papi could hit 40+ HRs if he were playing for the Yanks.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment:

And I don't mean the WS MVP award as just about any player can win that on a given year... did he lead the league in homers? RBI? BA? Runs? .OBP? Did he win a Gold Glove?

Go root for the Yankees and stop your whining dude.  What awards did you win?  Most times getting your account banned for being a tool and is why you only have 35 posts now?  Get out of your mom's basement and do something in society.

The only award that matters is World Series Champion for the third time.... but if you must insist, I will list out the awards he won last year since you are too lazy to go to Google yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ortiz

7-time winner of the Edgar Martínez Award (2003–2007, 2011, 2013)

6-time winner of the Silver Slugger Award (2004–2007, 2011, 2013)

7 seasons of at least 30 home runs and 100 RBIs (2003–2007, 2010, 2013)

17 career postseason home runs (Tied for 7th all time in MLB history)

60 career postseason RBIs (5th all time in MLB history)

Tied with Billy Hatcher for all-time post-season consecutive on-base streak (10)

85 extra-base hits or more for four consecutive years, something only 2 other players--Lou Gehrig (5) and Sammy Sosa (4)--have ever done [30]

Became all time DH home run leader on September 15, 2009 by hitting his 270th as a Designated Hitter

Has hit 11 career walk-off HRs

On April 2, 2011 Ortiz became MLB's all time RBI leader by a designated hitter

2013 World Series MVP

He is the all-time leader in MLB history for home runs (381), RBIs (1,245) and hits (1,758) by a DH.  Ortiz is a nine-time All-Star, a three-time World Series champion.

Ortiz once again was a major factor in helping lead the Red Sox to their eighth World Series championship. During the regular season, he hit 30 home runs, had 103 RBIs and batted .309. He finished in the top 10 in all 3 categories in the American League.

In the postseason, Ortiz had 5 home runs and 13 RBIs while batting .353. In Game 2 of the American League Division Series against the Tampa Bay Rays, he hit 2 home runs off of Rays' ace pitcher David Price. In Game 2 of the American League Championship Series vs the Detroit Tigers, Ortiz hit a dramatic, game-tying grand slam off of reliever Joaquin Benoit in the bottom of the 8th inning, helping propel the Red Sox to victory. In the World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals, Ortiz hit home runs in both games 1 and 2, had 6 RBIs and batted .688 as the Red Sox won the series 4–2. As a result of his performance, Ortiz was awarded the World Series Most Valuable Player award.[8]

On April 20, before the first game played at Fenway Park since the Boston Marathon bombings and his first since August 2012 after an achilles tendon injury, Ortiz spoke to the crowd and stated, "This is our f'ng city, and no one is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."[9]

Ortiz reached several career milestones in 2013, including his 500th career double on July 2[10] and his 2,000th career hit on September 4. On July 10, Ortiz passed Harold Baines to become the all time leader for hits by a DH with 1689.[11]\\

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/32290/top-comebacks-in-sox-playoff-history

• Game 2 of 2013 ALCS vs. Tigers -- Oct. 13, 2013: After trailing 5-0, the Red Sox scored in the sixth but still trailed by 4 when David Ortiz hit a 2-out grand slam in the bottom of the eighth inning to tie the game. Jarrod Saltalamacchia drove in the winning run with a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth inning -- the first postseason walk-off hit by a Red Sox catcher since Carlton Fisk’s homer in 1975.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

I belive Manny won MVP in 2004 and Mike Lowell in 2007? So exactly how did we win those WS if Ortiz was the only reason?

[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfqqvm8ZYOQ

• Game 4 of 2004 ALCS vs. Yankees -- Oct. 17, 2004: Trailing 3-0 in the series against the Yankees and 4-3 entering the bottom of the ninth, Dave Roberts famously steals second base and is driven in by Bill Mueller to tie the game. The game carries to the 12th inning, when Ortiz hits a 2-run walk-off homer to stave off elimination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZUK4Ci3cM

• Game 5 of 2004 ALCS vs. Yankees -- Oct. 18, 2004: Less than 24 hours later, the Red Sox faced elimination again, trailing 4-2 in the eighth inning. Ortiz led off the inning with a homer, and Jason Varitek hit a sac fly to the game. The game would go to the 14th inning, when Ortiz once again played hero, getting a walk-off single with 2 outs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/32290/top-comebacks-in-sox-playoff-history

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't understand why many fans are frustrated that Papi wants another year.  Like Moon said above, Papi finish helluva year and won another ring.  He's still producing at high level.  Honestly, he's not asking much.  He's asking to finish his career in Sox uniform.  That's freaking awesome.  Just add another year and let him prepare for the season.  

Answering to the question of this thread, I think Papi could get 2 yr deal at $30M.  If there's heavier competition, the Yanks might give Ortiz a vesting option at the end of contract.  Papi could hit 40+ HRs if he were playing for the Yanks.  

[/QUOTE]

+1

I feel the same way man.  I am outraged that people would even complain about Papi at all.  I think the talk radio stations, especially D&C in the mornings are pushing this agenda.  In the offseason there isn't much to talk about and they know that controversy drives up ratings.  There is not a bigger face in baseball in this town than Ortiz, so they stir the pot.  I think it is that simple. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

5 years @ $22MM per

[/QUOTE]

I get jokes...lol. 

[/QUOTE]

half joking.  this is a world were a pitcher that has never thrown a single pitch in the MLB gets $155MM.  known steroid user SS get $50MM contracts, players can opt out of their $250MM contracts and get the same team to pay them $300MM contract. 

Thankfully (IMO) we have never had to actually find out what Mr. Ortiz is worth on the FA market.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

5 years @ $22MM per

[/QUOTE]

I get jokes...lol. 

[/QUOTE]

half joking.  this is a world were a pitcher that has never thrown a single pitch in the MLB gets $155MM.  known steroid user SS get $50MM contracts, players can opt out of their $250MM contracts and get the same team to pay them $300MM contract. 

Thankfully (IMO) we have never had to actually find out what Mr. Ortiz is worth on the FA market.....

[/QUOTE]

without the draft pick compensation I can Ortiz getting a big contract in terms of AAV, but I don't think he would ever get that many years.  I think 2/40 or 3/50 might be there for him.  That would still be considered an overpay by many due to his age, but if he was 28, 29....in todays market?  with or without a Q.O. that man would probably get aorund 200 million dollars. 

Then again, we've seen players of his caliber offense hit free agency before, but when has a David Ortiz ever hit free agency in their prime?  I mean the games best DH, in his late 20's? a guy who can hit as good as anyone else out there but doesn't contribute defensively?

I guess we will never know.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Yanks would have signed him say 15 million, they would have 20 million in DH? Soriano and Papi. Yanks have other needs besides DH. Next year A-Rod probably DH's, Beltran is close to 40, Teixeira injuries, that team has many DH's. Doubt they would have signed him.

The dark horse team that would have signed him would have been Seattle, need a bat behind Cano, and just lose Morales Comp Pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Also I think if Papi did walk, Drew would have been signed. Sox would have tagged Papi a QO got the pick, and signed Drew. Just thinking out loud.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Pujois left and HUGE fan favorite, got Wacha. You just cant be emotional as a GM, when it comes down to team. You take the heat, and hope your Scouts hit a HR.
    Still love the Teixeira Comp Pick from Yankees, Mike Trout.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

And I don't mean the WS MVP award as just about any player can win that on a given year... did he lead the league in homers? RBI? BA? Runs? .OBP? Did he win a Gold Glove?

[/QUOTE]

Really?  Anyone can hit .700+ for a world series on any given year?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Don't speak in hyperbole... he only hit 688 with a 1.948 OPS... lol.... but yeah, anyone could do that.

The averages and OPS of players in order after Papi are as follows

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp?c_id=bos#playerType=ALL&elem=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+hitting&game_type='W'&season=2013&season_type=ANY&league_code='MLB'&sectionType=sp&statType=hitting&page=1&ts=1393002438623&timeframe=

Ells, 250 Avg, 599 OPS

Xander, 238 Avg, 594 OPS

Pedroia, 208 Avg, 532 OPS

Ross, 188 Avg, 438 OPS

Drew, 158 Avg, 506 OPS

Napoli, 154 Avg, 445 OPS

Vic, 154 Avg, 543 OPS

Nava, 143 Avg, 357 OPS

Gomes, 118 Avg, 580 OPS

The Cards had 6 regulars with an OPS over 650 while hitting 250 or greater.  We had one... pay the F'n dude and let's get on with it.  Fans should shut the bleep up about this topic and respect what the dude did... no Papi, no world series.  Same goes for 2004.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

I belive Manny won MVP in 2004 and Mike Lowell in 2007? So exactly how did we win those WS if Ortiz was the only reason?

[/QUOTE]

Well in 2004, the Sox don't get to the World Series w/o Ortiz's clutch hits.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree. We gave Carl Crawford 7 years and $142 million, but some of us seem scared to death of potentially ending up paying one of the greatest Boston sports figures ever for one year too many.

Eventually Father Time will catch up with Ortiz...that is a given. But coming off a .300/.400/.550, 30-homer, 100-RBI season, I'll take my chances for now. As long as he keeps on performing, keep on paying him. Normally I'm on the side of financial responsibility and prudence, but as I've said before, Big Papi is a special case; if we end up way overpaying him for what he's worth in 2015, I'd just consider it "Thanks for 04/07/13" money.

[/QUOTE]

Theo gave CC that contract and neither is around any longer.  It was a bad contract and the odds aren't good that these contracts work out in the team's favor.  Manny for the sox is one of the few which worked out in the team's favor.

I don't think the sox have shown they are scared to pay Ortiz.  The sox gave him a very nice two year deal after coming off a season where he did not play much.  Yes, it paid off and he was productive but the sox took a big chance.

it is all about supply and demand and timing.  Ortiz is going to get his extension so let's not call the sox cheap or afraid.

[/QUOTE]

I was really referring to some posters on this board, not the Red Sox. I agree that we'll see something get done soon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

5 years @ $22MM per

[/QUOTE]

I get jokes...lol. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

without the draft pick compensation I can Ortiz getting a big contract in terms of AAV, but I don't think he would ever get that many years.  I think 2/40 or 3/50 might be there for him.  That would still be considered an overpay by many due to his age, but if he was 28, 29....in todays market?  with or without a Q.O. that man would probably get aorund 200 million dollars. 

Then again, we've seen players of his caliber offense hit free agency before, but when has a David Ortiz ever hit free agency in their prime?  I mean the games best DH, in his late 20's? a guy who can hit as good as anyone else out there but doesn't contribute defensively?

[/QUOTE]

The Yanks paid Beltran 3 years at 16m to his age 40 year. Since Papi is a better hitter and Beltrans defense isnt that great anymore, my guess is Papi would have got 18-20M for 3 years from someone last year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's not asking to renegotiate or even for a raise. 

He had a legendary season and wants a year tagged on.

It's actually a steal for Sox management as they get another year to "milk the cash cow" that is Papi.

legendary season? I must have missed that. What awards dd he win?

[/QUOTE]

WS MVP.

Don't know how you "missed that".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you really this foolish?

Did you watch the Yankee series in 2004?

Do we even get to the WS without Papi's repeated heroics that series?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

5 years @ $22MM per

[/QUOTE]

I get jokes...lol. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Yanks paid Beltran 3 years at 16m to his age 40 year. Since Papi is a better hitter and Beltrans defense isnt that great anymore, my guess is Papi would have got 18-20M for 3 years from someone last year. 

[/QUOTE]

But Beltran plays a position everyday.  Not to dismiss Papi or anything but don't think Papi gets better deal than Beltran in the open market.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not only is he just asking for another year at the same pay, that pay is a "hometwon discount". If Papi was on the open market right now, with no lost draft choice attached, he'd get more than $30M/2.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yanks would have signed him say 15 million, they would have 20 million in DH? Soriano and Papi. Yanks have other needs besides DH. Next year A-Rod probably DH's, Beltran is close to 40, Teixeira injuries, that team has many DH's. Doubt they would have signed him.

The dark horse team that would have signed him would have been Seattle, need a bat behind Cano, and just lose Morales Comp Pick.

[/QUOTE]

If the Yanks signed Papi, they would have traded Soriano or not signed Beltran.

Also, Soriano may retire after this year, so the Yanks might want Papi after this year for $17M/1 or $32M/2.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The guy did finish 4th in OPS- behind only Miggy, Davis, and Trout (by .007). Ahead of Goldschmidt, Tulo & Votto.

2012-2013 OPS (950+ PAs)

1) Miggy 1.037

2) Papi     .985

3) Trout   .976

4) Votto  .971

2011-2013:

1) Miggy   1.036

2) Papi       .972

3) Braun    .971

4) Votto    .962

I don't get why you guys continously want to downplay Papi's achievements. Actually, I know why a couple do, but let's keep this about baseball.

Regular season: top 2-4 hitter over the last 1-2-3 years.

Post Season: unmatched in baseball history in several areas.