If Ortiz were a FA right now, what would he get?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: If Ortiz were a FA right now, what would he get?

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

5. Because of the rules in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the extension counts as a new contract that begins next year. Gardner’s current average annual value — in terms of calculating the luxury tax — does not change based on the extension. Gardner is making $5.6 million this season, and Cashman said that’s what the Yankees will be charged in terms of luxury tax calculations for this season. It’s not until next year that Gardner’s AAV will increase.

what am I missing here

why do so many suggest

the sox waited to announce the beckect extension ( not long enough)

and now some R doing the same thing about the lester & ortiz extensions

[/QUOTE]

zac, the only thing I can figure is that the rules on Gardner's extension are different because his $5.6 million was an arbitration award.

It was well documented that the Sox waited on the Beckett and A-Gon extensions because by doing that the extensions weren't folded into the current year AAV calcs.

[/QUOTE]

could B bob that's as good as any  explanation I've heard

maybe the rules changed or

Bcash is wrong it's something that he isn't used to caring about

extensions to players still under contract is very rare in yankeeland

what's up with those sam horn wannabees

that page was dead 4 days

that thread was dead 4 months

he said I was to assume him ignoring my PM meant no

I assumed he wasn't around and didn't C it

maybe they just didn't like being schooled by a MFY

at least we all agree here that in the world of MLB

2000 was the start of this century ;-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

what's up with those sam horn wannabees

that page was dead 4 days

that thread was dead 4 months

he said I was to assume him ignoring my PM meant no

I assumed he wasn't around and didn't C it

maybe they just didn't like being schooled by a MFY

at least we all agree here that in the world of MLB

2000 was the start of this century ;-)

[/QUOTE]

I like that site but the mods are by far the most trigger-happy I've seen. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Here's the thing... when a friend has a flaw do you focus on it, or do you accept them for who they are? To some, Ortiz's flaw is that he whines...I am one of the many that look past that and focus on the positive traits Ortiz brings....

This is one of those stories...

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/02/24/red-sox-ortiz-makes-new-friend-in-japanese-comedian-hironari-yamazaki/

BOSTON (CBS) – David Ortiz is always having a little bit of fun, but the Red Sox slugger took it to a whole new level on Sunday morning.

Famous Japanese comedian Hironari Yamazaki, known as Zakiyama, was at the Red Sox spring training facilities in Fort Myers, Florida on Sunday, participating with the team in a few of their warm-up drills.

He got to meet with Ortiz following the day’s workout, and Big Papi made sure the comedian had some souvenirs to remember the special day.

First, Ortiz let Yamazaki try on his gold chain, which the comedian got a big kick out of. After sporting the chain for a few seconds, and commenting on how heavy it is, he put it back around Ortiz’s neck.

But then Ortiz gave him his bat and batting gloves, much to the surprise of Yamazaki.

“Thank you very much,” Yamazaki shouted before taking a batting stance. “Thank you!”

“Arigato,” replied Ortiz.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's the thing... when a friend has a flaw do you focus on it, or do you accept them for who they are? To some, Ortiz's flaw is that he whines...I am one of the many that look past that and focus on the positive traits Ortiz brings....

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/02/24/red-sox-ortiz-makes-new-friend-in-japanese-comedian-hironari-yamazaki/

BOSTON (CBS) – David Ortiz is always having a little bit of fun, but the Red Sox slugger took it to a whole new level on Sunday morning.

Famous Japanese comedian Hironari Yamazaki, known as Zakiyama, was at the Red Sox spring training facilities in Fort Myers, Florida on Sunday, participating with the team in a few of their warm-up drills.

He got to meet with Ortiz following the day’s workout, and Big Papi made sure the comedian had some souvenirs to remember the special day.

First, Ortiz let Yamazaki try on his gold chain, which the comedian got a big kick out of. After sporting the chain for a few seconds, and commenting on how heavy it is, he put it back around Ortiz’s neck.

But then Ortiz gave him his bat and batting gloves, much to the surprise of Yamazaki.

“Thank you very much,” Yamazaki shouted before taking a batting stance. “Thank you!”

[/QUOTE]

He is a funny guy...no question there. He reminds me of an uncle I have. Life of the party and the funniest guy in the room..but cross him or question him..? Oh boy then the tide turns...lol

I tend to give a pass to the flaws of my friends..unless those flaws become a distraction and then it's time to rethink the friendship. But..last time I checked Ortiz is not my friend anyhow... ;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Ortiz is EVERYONES friend  :))))

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is a funny guy...no question there. He reminds me of an uncle I have. Life of the party and the funniest guy in the room..but cross him or question him..? Oh boy then the tide turns...lol

I tend to give a pass to the flaws of my friends..unless those flaws become a distraction and then it's time to rethink the friendship. But..last time I checked Ortiz is not my friend anyhow... ;-)

[/QUOTE]

Being so judgmental every day must be exhausting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If you're a Boston Red Sox fan, David Ortiz has definitely been your friend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Touche...but I bet he's not Dan Shaughnessy's friend...lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Close.... it is more like Ortiz is not Shaughnessy's friend  ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

If you're a Boston Red Sox fan, David Ortiz has definitely been your friend.

[/QUOTE]

Clearly I meant friend in the more intimate sense  :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha.. I doubt Shaughnessy has many friends anyhow...lol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good grief fourb...you need to lighten up and stop taking everything so seriously. Do I really have to explain to you about flaws distracting friendships?

So...it's judgemental if you decide to end a friendship ..say..with someone who is a pathological liar? Would that be judgemental..or smart? What say you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha.. I doubt Shaughnessy has many friends anyhow...lol.

[/QUOTE]

+1 infinity

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good grief fourb...you need to lighten up and stop taking everything so seriously. Do I really have to explain to you about flaws distracting friendships?

So...it's judgemental if you decide to end a friendship ..say..with someone who is a pathological liar? Would that be judgemental..or smart? What say you?

[/QUOTE]
    Why would I care how you treat your friends?

I was referring to the fact that all you know about Ortiz is what you read.

But, you've decided he's less deserving of respect than other players, based solely on that.

With all the hand-wringing you've done on the subject, I'm not the one that needs to lighten up.

"Oh the F-bombs are so horrible!!"

Please...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Well hopefully Ortiz will be signed soon enough and we can put this little chatter in the rear view mirror.

Now folks, just remember next time David drops the F-bomb or smashes a phone....it's just David being David. Otherwise you will be subjected to unending threads and posts by moi.

You've been warned.

Thank you and have a great day!!!!

Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But, you've decided he's less deserving of respect than other players, based solely on that.

With all the hand-wringing you've done on the subject, I'm not the one that needs to lighten up.

Please...

[/QUOTE]

Huh???? Then your comment makes even less sense..lol

Well..there is the little matter about what I see and what I hear too..but you seem to just like to keep the conversation going so I will stick to debating Soxchamps about Ortiz....she  a lot brighter than you and gets the humor in all of this. She knows I like Ortiz but not always all of his antics. She and I can agree to disagree and still be adults about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Please...

[/QUOTE]

Well..there is the little matter about what I see and what I hear too..but you seem to just like to keep the conversation going so I will stick to debating Soxchamps about Ortiz....she  a lot brighter than you and gets the humor in all of this. She knows I like Ortiz but not always all of his antics. She and I can agree to disagree and still be adults about it.

[/QUOTE]

Gee, I'm going to lose sleep over that...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Please...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bingo! Agree to disagree :-)

I know you like Ortiz.

Others here (Bill & steven11 aka jackbu) can't convince me they are Ortiz fans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

Well hopefully Ortiz will be signed soon enough and we can put this little chatter in the rear view mirror.

Now folks, just remember next time David drops the F-bomb or smashes a phone....it's just David being David. Otherwise you will be subjected to unending threads and posts by moi.

You've been warned.

Thank you and have a great day!!!!

Laughing

[/QUOTE]

NO! (lol). If and when Ortiz goes postal again with a baseball bat..I reserve the right to put up...umm..let's say 5 separate threads about it.!!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

5. Because of the rules in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the extension counts as a new contract that begins next year. Gardner’s current average annual value — in terms of calculating the luxury tax — does not change based on the extension. Gardner is making $5.6 million this season, and Cashman said that’s what the Yankees will be charged in terms of luxury tax calculations for this season. It’s not until next year that Gardner’s AAV will increase.

what am I missing here

why do so many suggest

the sox waited to announce the beckect extension ( not long enough)

and now some R doing the same thing about the lester & ortiz extensions

[/QUOTE]

zac, the only thing I can figure is that the rules on Gardner's extension are different because his $5.6 million was an arbitration award.

It was well documented that the Sox waited on the Beckett and A-Gon extensions because by doing that the extensions weren't folded into the current year AAV calcs.

[/QUOTE]

could B bob that's as good as any  explanation I've heard

maybe the rules changed or

Bcash is wrong it's something that he isn't used to caring about

extensions to players still under contract is very rare in yankeeland

[/QUOTE]

looks like U were right Hnut

Mike Trout, Angels Discussing Six-Year Extension
    By Charlie Wilmoth [February 24 at 2:36pm CST]

MONDAY: MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez reports that the Angels don't have to wait until Opening Day to sign Trout to an extension in order to avoid luxury tax ramifications. Because Trout has already had his 2014 salary set, the Angels can structure an extension beginning with the 2015 season without undergoing penalty. In other words: they can extend Trout as soon as they want. This, Gonzalez writes, is the same rationale the Yankees used when signing Brett Gardner to a four-year extension that doesn't kick in until 2015.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

looks like U were right Hnut

Mike Trout, Angels Discussing Six-Year Extension
    By Charlie Wilmoth [February 24 at 2:36pm CST]

MONDAY: MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez reports that the Angels don't have to wait until Opening Day to sign Trout to an extension in order to avoid luxury tax ramifications. Because Trout has already had his 2014 salary set, the Angels can structure an extension beginning with the 2015 season without undergoing penalty. In other words: they can extend Trout as soon as they want. This, Gonzalez writes, is the same rationale the Yankees used when signing Brett Gardner to a four-year extension that doesn't kick in until 2015.

Thanks zac, I just used the logic I learned as a kid in those 'one of these things is not like the others' games LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He'd get whatever the Red Sox and Ortiz agreed upon because no other team would give him as much money and no teams today are signing a DH only player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He'd get whatever the Red Sox and Ortiz agreed upon because no other team would give him as much money and no teams today are signing a DH only player.

[/QUOTE]

Just ask Nelson Cruz who will split the dh position at a base pay of 8 million for baltimore.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Thanks zac, I just used the logic I learned as a kid in those 'one of these things is not like the others' games LOL

LOL good job

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's also no Papi like DHs out there, so the point is not valid.