1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

IF PLAYOFFS started next month, IS LESTER ODD GUY OUT? Will his $13m option be picked up for next year?

like the guy but he's become the worse of the 4 elites on tap.. dube is a lock, lack's been a hard luck bulldog all year, peawy is a fighter and should outperform lest down the stretch. buch should pick up where he left off lester > dempster but thats it! in fact if all keeps going as is, dont see how lest makes this team next year. we hawe better options. he's still good but is a luxury at 13m. that could be giwen to buch or to ells.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: IF PLAYOFFS started next month, IS LESTER ODD GUY OUT? Will his $13m option be picked up for next year?

I saw this on the sports page too and it is ridiculous.

If they get to postseason and don't start Lester , they are even dumber than I think they are.

They have invested too much in this young man to destroy his confidence by pushing him aside in favor of starting pitchers who really aren't exactly Cy Young material either.

2004, Derek Lowe had a poor regular seasoan and much was being said about how he could be a liability in postseason.

Check Lowe's stats for 2004 postseason....he was arguably the difference between success and failure. He peaked in the clutch and then was discarded like old garbage.

Great way to thank a guy, wasn't it?

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: IF PLAYOFFS started next month, IS LESTER ODD GUY OUT? Will his $13m option be picked up for next year?

LEster may still be part of the playoff roster cuz he is a bit better than Dempster as well we all do now know if Bucholtz is coming back or not.  Right now as of today, yes.

For picking up option.  I strongly hope that Boston would buy him out and try to resign him for a cheaper short term contract such as 2  years for 16 mm.  But I strongly think he may want out of the organization and look elsewhere to start fresh if his option isnt pick up by the team!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

like the guy but he's become the worse of the 4 elites on tap.. dube is a lock, lack's been a hard luck bulldog all year, peawy is a fighter and should outperform lest down the stretch. buch should pick up where he left off lester > dempster but thats it! in fact if all keeps going as is, dont see how lest makes this team next year. we hawe better options. he's still good but is a luxury at 13m. that could be giwen to buch or to ells.

It's a toss up but I would pick up Jons option.  Personnally I would do my best to trade Dempster regardless of whether he turned down a three year deal to join us.  Then sign Garza because he will only be 30, or maybe Kuroda short term.  Clay, Peavy, Garza, Lester and Lackey is better than keeping Dempster in the mix so why not dump Demp and replace him with another quality pitcher at close to the same price. 

Who knows when or if any of our top prospects pan out?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

LEster may still be part of the playoff roster cuz he is a bit better than Dempster as well we all do now know if Bucholtz is coming back or not.  Right now as of today, yes.

For picking up option.  I strongly hope that Boston would buy him out and try to resign him for a cheaper short term contract such as 2  years for 16 mm.  But I strongly think he may want out of the organization and look elsewhere to start fresh if his option isnt pick up by the team!!

IF Breakholz makes it back-and thats a huge IF-then Lester is the odd man out, along with Dempster in terms of SP. We only would need 4 if we make the playoffs-another big IF. They would be Breakholz, Peavy, Lackey, and Doubront. No way Lester or Dempster is a better choice than any of those four. Also, since he has never pitched in relief (I believe), he should, along with Dempster, be left OFF the postseason roster, again if Breakholz makes it back.

In terms of his option, we have the same four SP next year. That, appropriately, makes Lester our #5 SP. Unfortunately, we are also STUCK with Dempster next year as he will still be under contract. Is a #5 SP worth $13M? I think not, especially since we have a gaggle of young promising SP who could help the team next year.

So "no" to the playoff roster and "no" to picking up his overpriced option.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

If Dempster could get 26 million for two years, Lester could at least get 4 years 60.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lackey - hasn't pitched a full season healthy in over 2 years

Doubront - Never pitched more than 161 innings in his career.

If those guys are as lights out as they've been this year, then yes Lester is the odd man out with a Peavy and a healthy Buccholz.  But I have some serious concerns about the healht of the rotation going down the stretch.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see those two guys either go down with an injury from being overworkded....or their numbers deteriorate due to fatigue. 

Don't count Lester out, you may be glad he's still on the team come October. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

IF Breakholz makes it back-and thats a huge IF-then Lester is the odd man out, along with Dempster in terms of SP. We only would need 4 if we make the playoffs-another big IF. They would be Breakholz, Peavy, Lackey, and Doubront. No way Lester or Dempster is a better choice than any of those four. Also, since he has never pitched in relief (I believe), he should, along with Dempster, be left OFF the postseason roster, again if Breakholz makes it back.

In terms of his option, we have the same four SP next year. That, appropriately, makes Lester our #5 SP. Unfortunately, we are also STUCK with Dempster next year as he will still be under contract. Is a #5 SP worth $13M? I think not, especially since we have a gaggle of young promising SP who could help the team next year.

[/QUOTE]

13 million dollars is cheap for Lester. You can be bias but don't be stupid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Its not me who is being stupid if you are willing to pay two #5 SP a total of $26M. You want stupid, look in the mirror.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

If those guys are as lights out as they've been this year, then yes Lester is the odd man out with a Peavy and a healthy Buccholz.  But I have some serious concerns about the healht of the rotation going down the stretch.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see those two guys either go down with an injury from being overworkded....or their numbers deteriorate due to fatigue. 

Thank you for posting my 2 questions marks I had also...

who care about IF the playoffs started next month..they dont, so heres my thoughts for when the playoffs do start.

I think Doubront is the bigger one because by the time september ends he should be at or over 200IP, which is 40IP more than last year. I think Lackey is less of a question mark than Doubie because he has pitched long enough and with his size, can be just fine.

Obviously it depends on how they all do down the stretch, but I really think Doubie will hit a wall.

Buchholz, Peavy, Lackey, Lester

Theres no way I leave Lester off the playoff roster regardless of his role. No way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

You really believe the Sox would pick Doubront over Lester as a SP for the playoffs?  Nonsense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I thoink Doubront is the bigger one because by the time september ends he should be at or over 200IP, which is 40IP more than last year. I think Lackey is less of a question mark than Doubie because he has pitched long enough and with his size, can be just fine.

Theres no way I leave Lester off the playoff roster. No way.

Statistically, that would be a mistake. Doubront's ERA is 3.56. Lester's is 4.37. Doubront has been maddening to watch at times, but has been very consistent in terms of earned runs allowed for a long time. Lester has been maddening AND inconsistent. You can have Lester. I would not make that mistake.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

You really believe the Sox would pick Doubront over Lester as a SP for the playoffs?  Nonsense.

LOOK AT THEIR ERAs! How else do you pick your pitchers for the postseason? Good looks? Personality? Lester has been mediocre and inconsistent. Doubront has a sub 4 ERA and has not allowed more than 3 ER since June 13 and has had an ERA of 2.02 since that game. Lester has an ERA of 4.75 in that time period. Unless he falls apart or Lester suddenly turns the corner, it would be STUPID to choose Lester over him. Sorry, but thats just the way the stats are......stats can be a b!tch sometimes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Its not me who is being stupid if you are willing to pay two #5 SP a total of $26M. You want stupid, look in the mirror.

[/QUOTE]

What starting pitching is going to be better than Lester for 13 million? Come on your a doctor this isn't that hard. Unless you are blinded by your hate this is an easy question. Today you where wrong about his ERA and called him first a fourth no a fifth. There are many teams that have 3 starters than Lester on top of usibg ERA as the sole determination a rotation slot is laughable. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Even in his so-called down years, Jon Lester has been valued at $15.9 million, $14.5 million and $11.7 million (and counting) the past three seasons, according to FanGraphs' WAR conversion:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4930&position=P#value

I've gotta think the Red Sox will exercise the $13 million club option for 2014.

As an aside, Lester would be a good fit in Seattle, where the Mariners need lefthanded help in their rotation with the slow development of southpaw prospects Danny Hultzen and James Paxton. However, I don't see a good match for a trade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

LOOK AT THEIR ERAs! How else do you pick your pitchers for the postseason? Good looks? Personality? Lester has been mediocre and inconsistent. Doubront has a sub 4 ERA and has not allowed more than 3 ER since June 13 and has had an ERA of 2.02 since that game. Lester has an ERA of 4.75 in that time period. Unless he falls apart or Lester suddenly turns the corner, it would be STUPID to choose Lester over him. Sorry, but thats just the way the stats are......stats can be a b!tch sometimes

Look at their WHIPs! Lester's is lower meaning Doubrant's ERA is more smoke and mirrors. Lester is probably a better choice if you look at everyone of their stats but doesnt help you out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

IF PLAYOFFS started next month, IS LESTER ODD GUY OUT? Will his $13m option be picked up for next year?

posted at 8/9/2013 3:52 PM EDT

to answer your questions Yes and no. Wouldn't trust him anywhere near a playoff game. 

"When I die Dublin will be written in my heart." - James Joyce

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

LOOK AT THEIR ERAs! How else do you pick your pitchers for the postseason? Good looks? Personality? Lester has been mediocre and inconsistent. Doubront has a sub 4 ERA and has not allowed more than 3 ER since June 13 and has had an ERA of 2.02 since that game. Lester has an ERA of 4.75 in that time period. Unless he falls apart or Lester suddenly turns the corner, it would be STUPID to choose Lester over him. Sorry, but thats just the way the stats are......stats can be a b!tch sometimes

Look at their WHIPs! Lester's is lower meaning Doubrant's ERA is more smoke and mirrors. Lester is probably a better choice if you look at everyone of their stats but doesnt help you out.

WHIP is not as good an indicator of performance as runs allowed, not that I expect you to understand that concept. You would be a fool to choose Lester over Doubront..........oh wait.........never mind.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Even in his so-called down years, Jon Lester has been valued at $15.9 million, $14.5 million and $11.7 million (and counting) the past three seasons, according to FanGraphs' WAR conversion:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4930&position=P#value

I've gotta think the Red Sox will exercise the $13 million club option for 2014.

Of course they will.  As disappointing as his overall performance has been, he's a reasonable value at $13 million.  A lot of his WAR value comes from his innings pitched.  He's been very durable and once again this year leads the team in innings pitched by far.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Lester has a 3.48 ERA in his last five starts (the only bad one out of that group being 8/2 against Arizona)...call me a sucker, but I'd like to hope he's moving back in the right direction.

Having "too many" starters is a good problem to have and one which will likely resolve itself by the time this decision needs to be made.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

peawy is horrible on the road. likely to b mowed, could b done by matchups...

COMMY COMMY COMMY COMMY CONTRARIAN, HE COMES AND GOES, HE COMES AND GOES... @commyContrarian on Twitter!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i hate commy so much it actually makes me feel bad about myself. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

I thoink Doubront is the bigger one because by the time september ends he should be at or over 200IP, which is 40IP more than last year. I think Lackey is less of a question mark than Doubie because he has pitched long enough and with his size, can be just fine.

Theres no way I leave Lester off the playoff roster. No way.

Statistically, that would be a mistake. Doubront's ERA is 3.56. Lester's is 4.37. Doubront has been maddening to watch at times, but has been very consistent in terms of earned runs allowed for a long time. Lester has been maddening AND inconsistent. You can have Lester. I would not make that mistake.

[/QUOTE]

My concern with Doubie is innings pitched PG. Its a legitiment concern.