If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd

Reading recents reports and tweets from baseball experts, both Oswalt and Jackson signings are not going smoothly.  Oswalt was in serious talk with Rangers which is the team he wanted to pitch for because of Maddux & Ryan connection, and Jackson might noe feel like taking risk on one year deal to pitch in the toughest division in the league for the pitcher.  This doesn't sound good. 

Even IF both signings fail, I don't quite see Ben making a big move and trade for Galvin Floyd who will cost a top prospect or two.  Ben signed 4-5 low cost starters to minor contracts this offseason and they will fight for rotation spot in ST even if Sox do sign either one of FAs.  Ben would probably go with one of the low cost depth he signed or Aceves with Bard in the rotation IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd

Reason is that Oswalt do not want to sign with Boston, he wanted to live closer to his Mississippi home which that was why he picked ST. Louis and Rangers.  But the latest news is that Cardinals offered him 5m for one year.  He would like to reject that deal if the Rangers up the offer by 2m to 3m more.  But what if the Rangers dont at the same time Boston offered him 7m a year??  

For Jackson, he have Boras as his agent.  So therefore, Boras is going to play all kind of games.  Boston just have to wait and see if Jackson can find a long term deal which it is more likely he wont.  He would probably will ended up like Damon when he signed with the Rays in the last minute!!

I would not mind getting Floyd via trade, but which players Boston will give up?  Hopefully not Middlebrook, Raundon, and Larvanway!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

That is samething to Jackson or Oswalt.  

Floyd's pitching resume is not too bad.  He won alot of games and of course he lost alot of games due he is playing for a bad Chicago White Sox team.  

I would go for Floyd, and give up Lar Anderson, Tawaza, and Bowen for him!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

FIn response to "Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd": [QUOTE]That is samething to Jackson or Oswalt.   Floyd's pitching resume is not too bad.  He won alot of games and of course he lost alot of games due he is playing for a bad Chicago White Sox team.   I would go for Floyd, and give up Lar Anderson, Tawaza, and Bowen for him! Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE] I'm pretty sure Ben Cherington, who is a pretty serious guy, couldn't even make that offer with a straight face. You're significantly undervaluing Floyd's worth and the Whitesox aren't in a position where they have to move him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd:
    [QUOTE]That is samething to Jackson or Oswalt.   Floyd's pitching resume is not too bad.  He won alot of games and of course he lost alot of games due he is playing for a bad Chicago White Sox team.   I would go for Floyd, and give up Lar Anderson, Tawaza, and Bowen for him!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]
    Whoa ... I suspect the White Sox would want at least one player ranked higher than 21st on Red Sox prospect lists:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/12/13/2633672/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2012

http://www.soxprospects.com/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2012/2612769.html

It's hard to imagine a less attractive offer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Floyd is a serious #2 slot starter at a tax limit cost of $3.9M. You don't get pitchers like this for just 3 mid level prospects. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Sign Alex Cora as a bench coach. He just retired today. Future Manager.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If Sox are unsuccessful in getting Oswalt or Jackson I would look again at Gavin Floyd and WandY Rodriguez.

Yes this will take them into the Luxury Tax area however you then have the luxury of keeping  both Aceves and Bard in the pen.

I could see the Sox going for a mini blockbuster with the White Sox who will not be going anyplace in the Central:

Floyd, Ramirez, Thornton, Lilibridge and $15 M in exchange for Doubrount, Iggy, Brandon Jacobs, Bowden and Melancon.

Then make the trade for Wandy which should not take many prospects unless the Astros are willing to eat a lot of money. Perhaps Salty and Britton would do it to shave off $6 M year one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd:
    [QUOTE]MLB Trade Rumors: Gavin Floyd Wouldn't Solve Red Sox Rotation ...
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

One of the worst articles I've ever read.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]MLB Trade Rumors: Gavin Floyd Wouldn't Solve Red Sox Rotation ...
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Some of these articles are idiotic.

Yes, the devastating AL East will crush those AL Central pitchers.  Nice sweeping generalization.

OK, so Floyd would have to face the Yankees, but he also would not have to face the Red Sox.

And the rest of the division?  Last year, the Tigers outscored the Blue Jays, the Royals outscored the Orioles, and the Indians scored 3 runs less than the Rays.  Granted, the other 2 teams were among the worst in the AL at scoring but Floyd never got to pitch against one of them.

Honestly, it is getting so that anybody can be  sportswriter these days...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Honestly, it is getting so that anybody can be  sportswriter these days...

I don't get it. There is a ton of competition for good writers, and yet hardly any of them do the simple homework (research) needed to back up their claims.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

While the White Sox don't have to trade him, I can't see them winning the division with Detriot and Cleveland (I think they will be good this year).  So the longer they hold onto Floyd, the lower his value goes.

Although I don't view him as an ace, he would only need to be a #3/#4 starter in Boston, and I don't think that is out of the question.  I wouldn't overpay because I think there are better pitchers that could be had if you were going to overpay.  I think some people are underestimating what it would take to get him, but at the same time, I don't think it will take a bundle of top prospects.

Fun unrelated fact, he was traded with Gio Gonzalez for Freddy Garcia at one point.  Yikes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]While the White Sox don't have to trade him, I can't see them winning the division with Detriot and Cleveland (I think they will be good this year).  So the longer they hold onto Floyd, the lower his value goes. Although I don't view him as an ace, he would only need to be a #3/#4 starter in Boston, and I don't think that is out of the question.  I wouldn't overpay because I think there are better pitchers that could be had if you were going to overpay.  I think some people are underestimating what it would take to get him, but at the same time, I don't think it will take a bundle of top prospects. Fun unrelated fact, he was traded with Gio Gonzalez for Freddy Garcia at one point.  Yikes.
    Posted by Skadude22[/QUOTE]

I think Kenny Williams traded Gio Gonzalez twice and acquired Gavin Floyd twice.

And people thought Epstein got obsessed with players...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Let's say the unidentified gm is right and Selig will give the sox "significant" compensation. If its in the form of a top prospect or two why not bundle them up with one of our own for a top of the rotation starter......plausible?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

ctred we might find the position comp. for Theo may be "blocked" in a similar way to Lars or Kalish--I have confidence in BenC's ability to find talent after all the kids he has sifted through leading up to draft days over the last 10 years.

I agree with you we may get a good prospect that could interest another GM that might have that diamond in the rough that we're interested in. Sounds like there may be a decision soon.

I am extremely interested in Floyd coming to Boston.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

The question with a trade for Floyd is compensation? If the Sox fail to sign Oswalt or Jackson, the price for Floyd could go up. As much as I like Floyd I'm not convinced the Sox can give up the prospects the CWS would want.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]The question with a trade for Floyd is compensation? If the Sox fail to sign Oswalt or Jackson, the price for Floyd could go up. As much as I like Floyd I'm not convinced the Sox can give up the prospects the CWS would want.
    Posted by Thomasmtom[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps the Sox don't have the prospects the White Sox want.

If both parties are serious about a Floyd trade I bet Ben and Kenny could settle on some players. I'm hoping after the Commissioner settles the Theo Comp we may have a pitcher or other player that would interest the WS or satisfy the RS sufficiently.

But you may be right...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Edes made it sound like the Red Sox have lower level players that would Interest the White Sox and KW. I hope it doesn't mean Milbrooks(SP) but think they should do what it takes t get him. He's younger and more durable. My real question is, what if they don't get any of these guys? Will they get a real SS? It pains me to think about the combo we have right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Williams is not giving him away. Kenny is a shrewd dealer and will get one prospect of his choice and another from a list to do the deal. Floyd has value and other teams are in on him. So yes, Middlebrooks may be what it takes or Ranuado? For that price I would rather take my chances with what the Sox have with the hope Bard or Aceves surprises and either Cook, Padilla, A Miller, Doubront, etc etc prove reliable for a year. I like Floyd but not enough to give up more of the farm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Williams is not giving him away. Kenny is a shrewd dealer and will get one prospect of his choice and another from a list to do the deal. Floyd has value and other teams are in on him. So yes, Middlebrooks may be what it takes or Ranuado? For that price I would rather take my chances with what the Sox have with the hope Bard or Aceves surprises and either Cook, Padilla, A Miller, Doubront, etc etc prove reliable for a year. I like Floyd but not enough to give up more of the farm.
    Posted by LB34[/QUOTE]

I think Cecchini, Coyle and Bogaerts may actually be better options at 3B in 2014 than Middlebrooks, so I wouldn't lose any sleep dealing him. I'd try to get them to take Bowden, since he is out of options and may not make it anyways. Offer them a choice of the 3rd player from a list that includes Tejada, Pimental, Wilson, and Exposito. I'm not sure if that's enough, but maybe it's a starting point. If it came down to the White Sox insisting on Middlebrooks and Ranaudo, I'd probably give in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Edes made it sound like the Red Sox have lower level players that would Interest the White Sox and KW. I hope it doesn't mean Milbrooks(SP) but think they should do what it takes t get him. He's younger and more durable. My real question is, what if they don't get any of these guys? Will they get a real SS? It pains me to think about the combo we have right now.
    Posted by NegativeTrollsAbound[/QUOTE]
    To be precise, this is what Gorden Edes of ESPN Boston wrote:

Red Sox sources have indicated they expect to re-engage the Chicago White Sox in trade talks for right-hander Gavin Floyd, who according to one White Sox source is available for the right package of prospects. So far, the Red Sox have not made a proposal satisfactory to GM Kenny Williams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/16166/oswalt-headed-to-cardinals

Scroll down.

Sections
Shortcuts