If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd

In Response to If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd:
    Source: Sox hope Roy Oswalt signs on
    Posted by 2004Idiots

I read Oswalt is meeting with Texas today.  Roy is a veteran pitcher who is probably better than any of the guys we sined to minor league contracts if he can stay healthy.  I'm not sure if he is a good fit at Fenway but I really hope we don't blow anymore prospects on Floyd.  If we do trade prospects for a starting pitcher I would rather see a Garza, or youngster like the Yanks grabbed that may be around for a few years.

The prospect of Lackey returning next season "even healthy" doesn't give me any sense of security but maybe Dice can give us a lift at some point if we don't make anymore moves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd

...I would rather see a Garza...

I like Graza too, but I think he will cost more and better prospects than Floyd.

Wandy Rodriguez could cost next to nothing if we take on his contract in full.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Tazawa, Doubrount, Bowden, Britton, Pimental, Wilson: with the exception of Ranaudo these are our best pitching prospects.

If the Sox want Wandy two of those guys might work and if we want to pay less in year 1,  Vitek could be added. How about Doubrount, Bowden and Vitek, for Wandy and $5 M for 2012, and we can figure out how to pay him in 2013 and 2014. This guy has had a sub 4 ERA for the Astro's. He 's close to 190 Inn's--those are not bad numbers no matter where you're pitching.
    Then make the trade to Chicago for Floyd for Middlebrooks & Britton and to knock off $2 M we can do a PTBNL(after Theo Comp).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Gavin Floyd for who ?  Lars Anderson and a Low A prospect ?   That's when the Chicago GM hits delete on his phone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tazawa, Doubrount, Bowden, Britton, Pimental, Wilson: with the exception of Ranaudo these are our best pitching prospects.

If the Sox want Wandy two of those guys might work and if we want to pay less in year 1,  Vitek could be added. How about Doubrount, Bowden and Vitek, for Wandy and $5 M for 2012, and we can figure out how to pay him in 2013 and 2014. This guy has had a sub 4 ERA for the Astro's. He 's close to 190 Inn's--those are not bad numbers no matter where you're pitching.
    Then make the trade to Chicago for Floyd for Middlebrooks & Britton and to knock off $2 M we can do a PTBNL(after Theo Comp).

We can afford Wandy in 2013, and 2014 is a club option. I think the Astros might like far-away prospects with high upside, and we could keep Doubront. If the Stros pay $5M towards 2011, I think we could get Wandy for Pimental, Vitek & Coyle. Here's what Wandy is owed:
    12:$10M, 13:$13M, 14:$13M club option ($2.5M buyout)

If we could then trade Middlebrooks, Wilson, Bowden & Tejada, I'd be super-duper happy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to "Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd":
    That is samething to Jackson or Oswalt.   Floyd's pitching resume is not too bad.  He won alot of games and of course he lost alot of games due he is playing for a bad Chicago White Sox team.   I would go for Floyd, and give up Lar Anderson, Tawaza, and Bowen for him! Posted by GoUconn13
    You couldn't get a bag of balls for those three guys let alone a quality starting pitcher. Get real!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd:
    In response to "Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd": You couldn't get a bag of balls for those three guys let alone a quality starting pitcher. Get real!
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame

Sure you could.  Maybe not a large bag, though.

I think the dealing should start with Middlebrooks and Bowden.  Tough to say how high I'd go.  I do think Bogaerts, Lavarnway and Renaudo are off limits, and I am re-thinking my position on Brentz, since clearly some scouts do value him.  But Middlebrooks is certainly expendable. 

However, I think he is going to stay with the Sox, so hopefully he turns out better than I anticipate...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

why would anyone want wandy rodriguez? he is brutal and is on a crappy contract. i would much rather take a shot on floyd or edwin jackson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Joe Blanton is being shopped again--a 4 or 5 if we can't get Wandy or Floyd or Jackson.

Not saying we should do this but how about Youk to play 1 B in Philly until Howard returns-then platoons at third and first. In exchange for Blanton, Ty Wigginton and a prospect. This would be about a wash money wise. Blanton is $8.5 and Wigg is $4 M--Youk is about $13 M. Blanton is a FA after next year and Ty has a buyout.

Wigginton is a very serviceable player with decent power--the versatility of Michael Young and a good team player. Blanton could be the answer for the rotation in addition he's pitching for a contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd:
    why would anyone want wandy rodriguez? he is brutal and is on a crappy contract. i would much rather take a shot on floyd or edwin jackson.
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Houston has said they will pay part of his deal.

"Brutal"? You mean brutal on opposing hitters? The guy has been under 3.60 for 4 straight years. He also has 191+ IP for 3 straight years. He just turned 33.

His contract:
    12:$10M, 13:$13M, 14:$13M club option ($2.5M buyout)

I'd trade:
    Jenks ($6M), Salty ($2.5M), Pimental, and Bowden
    For:
    Wandy and $3M

Total Cost to us: $15M/2 or $24.5M/3

Houston saves $15M/2 or $24.5M/3 and gets a catcher under team control for 2 years and a couple prospects and whatever Jenks can give them (trade if gets healthy).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Given a choice Floyd is a better fit than Rodriguez, but Wandy has pitched very well for Houston and should be a very good # 4 starter. The Astros are looking to dump the salaries of Wandy and Brett Myers so a deal with them shouldn’t cost the Sox top prospects. My only concern is whether Rodriguez’s salary would stop the Sox from making a move for FA pitching in 2013.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

The question with a trade for Floyd is compensation? If the Sox fail to sign Oswalt or Jackson, the price for Floyd could go up. As much as I like Floyd I'm not convinced the Sox can give up the prospects the CWS would want.
    Posted by Thomasmtom

I agree, but more importantly I just dont think the Sox have the prospects to swing a trade for Floyd.  Have you seen what the Padres got for Latos, the A's for Gonzalez or the M's for Pineda? Kenny Williams will ask for and as every right to ask for the three of the top five prospects..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd : I agree, but more importantly I just dont think the Sox have the prospects to swing a trade for Floyd.  Have you seen what the Padres got for Latos, the A's for Gonzalez or the M's for Pineda? Kenny Williams will ask for and as every right to ask for the three of the top five prospects..
    Posted by lardin

Two things:
    1) Years of control.
    2) Salary cost.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In Response to Re: If Sox do not succeed in signing Roy Oswalt, will shift their focus to trying to swing a deal for Gavin Floyd : Houston has said they will pay part of his deal. "Brutal"? You mean brutal on opposing hitters? The guy has been under 3.60 for 4 straight years. He also has 191+ IP for 3 straight years. He just turned 33. His contract: 12 :$10M,  13 :$13M,  14 :$13M club option ($2.5M buyout) I'd trade: Jenks ($6M),  Salty ($2.5M), Pimental, and Bowden For: Wandy and $3M Total Cost to us: $15M/2 or $24.5M/3 Houston saves $15M/2 or $24.5M/3 and gets a catcher under team control for 2 years and a couple prospects and whatever Jenks can give them (trade if gets healthy).
    Posted by moonslav59
      Offer jenks and salty at their 8 1/2 million contracts and no team would want them for nothing in return.Throw in bowden and pimental and you'd have to give them a million or 2 just to take them off your hands. 

Sections
Shortcuts