If Sox fail to sign Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Sox fail to sign Lester

What do you think Sox will do next?  We have pretty good SP depth but none will likely replace Lester right away.  Are you comfortable with Lackey as our #1 SP?  Does FO, once again, rely on Buccholz to turn things around next season?  Trade?  If they are not willing to give what Lester wants, I don't really see them go out and sign an ace like Scherzer who will certainly cost more than Lester.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: If Sox fail to sign Lester

Slide Henry as your number 5 and let him grow

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

What do you think Sox will do next?  We have pretty good SP depth but none will likely replace Lester right away.  Are you comfortable with Lackey as our #1 SP?  Does FO, once again, rely on Buccholz to turn things around next season?  Trade?  If they are not willing to give what Lester wants, I don't really see them go out and sign an ace like Scherzer who will certainly cost more than Lester.  

If they let Lester walk, might as well trade lackey and do a reload

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

L

[object HTMLDivElement]

IMHO, there are no other moves.  There is no 'next'.  Like you said, there is no reason to let Lester walk and sign Scherzer.  That leaves us with Lackey (who is on the old side), Buchholz (who is questionable), then DLR (certainly no lock), maybe Workman, and maybe Ranaudo or Webster.

That won't win.  Even if we added Stanton, 2 or 3 of those guys will struggle, and maybe no one is under 4.00.

Like the previous guy said, we might as well sell off at that point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

If they let Lester walk then they're incompetent.  What'll they do -- trade some prospects for another front-line starter? Then cry about how much money they're paying for the salary?

Maybe they like getting the league's highest ticket prices for a mediocre team. Question is, how long will it last? That's why they brought in Crawford, because Theo had said something about a "bridge year" and they panicked, thinking they'd lose revenues. They had Gonzales but figured that wasn't enough, so Werner came out and said something about looking forward to still another big signing. That was Crawford. But it's OK. Werner still has a job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

a few thoughts.

You can't win a championship without a top of the line starter.

If the sox don't sign Lester, they are saying they won't spend the money on a pitcher on the wrong side of the 30.

it's not often you can acquire one of those guys on the right side of 30. 

Therefore the sox would be accepting not being a contender for a couple years. 

Would it not make sense then to have an absolute fire sale. Lester, Lackey, Napoli, Victorino, Gomes, Koji. actually anyone in the bullpen. Anyone over 30 not named ortiz or pedrioa. 

Then they would have to go after some high end pitching prospect sacrificing some minor league depth to do so. 

Or, they could just sign Jon Lester and continue to compete. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Slide Henry as your number 5 and let him grow

Solid idea...John seems a little too old for this youth movement, but I've been surprised before!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Easy solution.....Get two pitcher who can win 9-10= 18 wins or 20 wins... Beats Lesters 150 mil contract

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Easy solution.....Get two pitcher who can win 9-10= 18 wins or 20 wins... Beats Lesters 150 mil contract

Nope. Have fun never making it passed the first round

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Any team that relies on Clay Buchholz to make a positive impact will get exactly what they deserve.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

If we replace Lester with two mediocre SPs that win 9 games each, we ain't getting to the first round.  On the plus side for Don, we might wind up with a protected pick if we lose Lester.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Any team that relies on Clay Buchholz to make a positive impact will get exactly what they deserve.

Like a championship, last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Lets look at the Rotation going into 2015 if Lester leaves. Lackey, Buchholz.
    Workman and RDLR, up and down.
    Doubront erratic.
    Rookies, with very little experience or none.
    They had better sign Lester. Sox will be in a world of hurt next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

If we replace Lester with two mediocre SPs that win 9 games each, we ain't getting to the first round.  On the plus side for Don, we might wind up with a protected pick if we lose Lester.

Hammels ? way cheaper and that's management thinking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I agree. No good options for "replacing" Lester. We're lucky enough to have a few pitching prospects close to ready to step in, but none should be expected to fill the void Jon will leave. If they won't spend big money to keep him here, they're not going to spend (and surrender a draft pick) on someone like Scherzer or Shields...and assuming there's any truth to the Hamels rumors, I'd rather just sign Lester and use our trade pieces for a bat.

I feel like if the team was going to make a good-faith attempt to retain him, it would have happened by now. If it's true that the last offer that was made was the 4 yrs, $70 mil in spring training, that is borderline malpractice by the front office...and that's coming from someone who is usually inclined to give the team the benefit of the doubt.

A deadline trade to bring in top young talent would salvage the mess at least somewhat, but I fear that won't happen and we'll just watch him walk away this winter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

...the team is f-ked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Three words "we are scre..." if the FO can't sign Jon, especially if he ends up on a rival.  Lackey is not as reliable nor is Clay or anyone else especially in a money game which is exactly what the FO shouldn't be playing with Jon hoping for some ridiculous home town discount.  We have already placed all our eggs in our young positional players will very little results so far and maybe not even another year or two.  Take our most reliable pitcher our of the equation and our FO may as well write in another fifth or sixth place finish next season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Things are changing fast. They almost HAVE to trade him, and soon. It is obvious to me that Lester does not want to stay. And, why would he? To head a starting staff that has Lackey at No. 2? And a 4-inning piycher at No. 3? He's gone. Buch may be done, the bullpen is falling apart; get what you can, Ben!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    “Why not?” said Lester when asked if he would consider re-signing with the #RedSox if traded. “This is where I want to be."

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    Lester has a 2.52 ERA, 1.07 in the last 8 starts. #redsox

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

‏@PeteAbe
    “Why not?” said Lester when asked if he would consider re-signing with the #RedSox if traded. “This is where I want to be."

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    Lester has a 2.52 ERA, 1.07 in the last 8 starts. #redsox

[object HTMLDivElement].  The problem with that is that it doesn't give a trading partner much incentive to give us much for a two month rental. You would think a big market team that gave up top prospects , would want to sign Jon to an extension. Not only that, but if he hits free agency, some team is likely to outbid us by enough to make him have to leave. If we really want to re-sign Lester , we should do it now. I am pretty sure we know what it would take. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Lester: Trade and return to Red Sox a possibility

By Peter Abraham / Globe Staff

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Jon Lester offered up an intriguing twist to the upcoming trade deadline: the idea that he would be willing to re-sign with the Red Sox as a free agent after being dealt.

“Why not?” the lefthander said after the Tampa Bay Rays beat the Red Sox, 6-4, on Friday night. “This is what I know. This is what I love. Like I’ve said plenty of times, this is where I want to be. And if they trade me, I completely understand. No hard feelings.

“I know what they have to do for their organization, and if that involves me, then so be it. If it doesn’t, I’ll keep running out there every five days and pitching. Hopefully in November we get something done.”

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Lester: Trade and return to Red Sox a possibility

By Peter Abraham / Globe Staff

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Jon Lester offered up an intriguing twist to the upcoming trade deadline: the idea that he would be willing to re-sign with the Red Sox as a free agent after being dealt.

“Why not?” the lefthander said after the Tampa Bay Rays beat the Red Sox, 6-4, on Friday night. “This is what I know. This is what I love. Like I’ve said plenty of times, this is where I want to be. And if they trade me, I completely understand. No hard feelings.

“I know what they have to do for their organization, and if that involves me, then so be it. If it doesn’t, I’ll keep running out there every five days and pitching. Hopefully in November we get something done.”

[object HTMLDivElement].   I think Jon is one of the best pitchers in the game.  I think Jon is a good, level headed guy. But he needs to be careful in what he says. He is in the ocean with sharks. The baseball owners are mostly billionaires. I want the Sox to re- sign him for a close to market value deal. But he needs to do what is necessary to get the most out of his earning potential. This is his only free agent opportunity.  If he is smart, he will play it for all it is worth.  Lucchino has already shown that the Sox are willing to take advantage of Lester's loyalty. Jon and his agent have to understand that. I think they do. We hear it so often, but it is still sometimes forgotten; Baseball is a business. It really is. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

No Lester means Lackey, a solid #2, followed by De La Rosa, Workman, Doubront….and a soon-to-be #5 in Clay "Head Case" Buchholz.  Really? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

No Lester means Lackey, a solid #2, followed by De La Rosa, Workman, Doubront….and a soon-to-be #5 in Clay "Head Case" Buchholz.  Really? 

i think doubront will be gone at the deadline....and i hope he is...

Sections
Shortcuts