IF the Phillies make Cliff Lee available, what would be the cost to land him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

IF the Phillies make Cliff Lee available, what would be the cost to land him?

I hear a lot of rumors from here and there that Sox might be seriously interestsed in Lee if he ever becomes available.  He definitely will command lots of money and young talent to get.  We are not even sure Ben would pull the trigger.  However, Lee will be the best upgrade to the Sox if we are going to play in October.  What would be logical proposal to the Phillies to trade for Lee?  Your thoughts?

I think it's going to be either lots of money and #4-10 prospects or least money and top prospects.  I don't think Ben will give up both money and team's top asset.  Lee's earning $25M for next two yrs and has $27.5M vesting option for 2016.  I know he's 34 but he's still one of the best in the league.  Sox won't have problem money wise to pay Lee's significant portion of the salary.  I think Sox can play around internally and not sign big FA next season.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: IF the Phillies make Cliff Lee available, what would be the cost to land him?

If I knew he was going to be the same pitcher he has been then yes.

But considering we would have to give up SEVERAL top prospects to pay him 25 million a year for the next 3 years...NO.  

Too often we get all excited over players based off of what they do, what they are doing and not what they very well may do going into the future.

We know Cliff Lee is good...but do we really know if he's is going to be that good from 35-38?  Yeah it's a possibility but is that worth 75+ million + prospects????

Opinions are like A****** we all got one, and mine is that NOT trading for Cliff Lee is a no-brainer. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: IF the Phillies make Cliff Lee available, what would be the cost to land him?

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I hear a lot of rumors from here and there that Sox might be seriously interestsed in Lee if he ever becomes available.  He definitely will command lots of money and young talent to get.  We are not even sure Ben would pull the trigger.  However, Lee will be the best upgrade to the Sox if we are going to play in October.  What would be logical proposal to the Phillies to trade for Lee?  Your thoughts?

I think it's going to be either lots of money and #4-10 prospects or least money and top prospects.  I don't think Ben will give up both money and team's top asset.  Lee's earning $25M for next two yrs and has $27.5M vesting option for 2016.  I know he's 34 but he's still one of the best in the league.  Sox won't have problem money wise to pay Lee's significant portion of the salary.  I think Sox can play around internally and not sign big FA next season.  

pretty tough call man. on the other hand, what about paps?  but to answer your question, probably the state of rhode island.Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Totally agree. Under no circumstance would I like to see the Sox give up top prospects for Cliff Lee. Would the Phills accept Bailey, and Drew? I could go for that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

If I knew he was going to be the same pitcher he has been then yes.

But considering we would have to give up SEVERAL top prospects to pay him 25 million a year for the next 3 years...NO.  

Too often we get all excited over players based off of what they do, what they are doing and not what they very well may do going into the future.

We know Cliff Lee is good...but do we really know if he's is going to be that good from 35-38?  Yeah it's a possibility but is that worth 75+ million + prospects????

Opinions are like A****** we all got one, and mine is that NOT trading for Cliff Lee is a no-brainer. 

I don't think Ben will want Lee paying all of his salary and giving up Bogaerts or Bradley.  None of us will.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I would take Cliff Lee for the right price...ANYONE would take Cliff Lee for the right price, that's a no brainer.  My argument is based on the fact that I'm pretty sure the price is WRONG!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

The Phillies will want two or three top prospects for Lee. Lee is great but pitchers are risky espically at age 34.  I think it would be wiser pass on Lee

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The Sox haven't been willing to part with top prospects and/or pay big bucks for Lee when he's been available in the past (which is almost every trade deadline and offseason)...it's a little tough to see why they would be now, when he's not getting any younger and they've been burned by several big contracts since then.

It's easier to see pitching help coming from within the organization in the form of Webster, RDLR, Ranaudo, Workman, etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

THe thing is the Phillies don't NEED to trade Cliff Lee.  Now if they were a small market team that had a surplus of pitching that needed to shed salary and pick up some pieces to make a run you could probably get a guy like Lee for minimal return if you take on some Salary and Maybe give them A- pitching prospect plus maybe an Aceves and role player who can contribute now.

But Philly is a large market team that can afford to pay his salary if they want to.  If they trade Cliff Lee it's because they know they have a chip they can get something back for.  They are looking for value and therefore will ask for top talent in return.  The asking price is likely too high for Cliff Lee. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

NO, PASS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ryan smith, morales, mortensen, Bailey,  Beato, Rafael Perez and Wil Latimer for Lee and Paps

Drew, Sutton, & Lavarnaway for Wright

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Ryan smith, morales, mortensen, Bailey,  Beato, Rafael Perez and Wil Latimer for Lee and Paps

What makesyou think Philly would take that?

THey will only take top prospects and if they can't get that they won't trade Cliff Lee

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

THey will only take top prospects and if they can't get that they won't trade Cliff LeE

[/QUOTE

3MLB ready pitchers and 4 young very good upside kids.

On Wagner they get younger at 3rd and have two guys who play multiple positions and a young catcher. Who for the RS has a dim future with salty and Swi coming up just my opinion

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

NO, PASS.

AT RECORD SPEED

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Forgot the amount of salary they save 13 + 25 for two yrs and the guys they are getting equal about Paps current salary

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

THey will only take top prospects and if they can't get that they won't trade Cliff LeE

[/QUOTE

On Wagner they get younger at 3rd and have two guys who play multiple positions and a young catcher. Who for the RS has a dim future with salty and Swi coming up just my opinion

7 bullpen arms for Lee and paps?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[/QUOTE

This is baseball quantity does not equal quality.  You could trade 100 pitchers who are MLB ready to the Phillies and they still won't take it if they are goes that are fringy.  You can't just take what we don't want and expect Philly to take it because these guys are "ok" and we have a bunch of them.  Those guys can get you role players, or be part of a big deal but there is no way in any universe you get a guy like Lee without giving up 3 of your top 10 with at least 1 of those guys being in your top 5. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Forgot the amount of salary they save 13 + 25 for two yrs and the guys they are getting equal about Paps current salary

They don't care about Salary they can afford his salary they will only trade him if they get value back.  Baseball doesn't look at value as your 10 bullpen arms equal our starting pitcher it jsut doesn't and will never work like that.  We will have to give up what we DON'T want to to get LEE.  That starts with guys like Webster/Raunado/Owens/RDLR/Barnes.

You might not like it and we can play fantasy trades all day.  But there is no way you get Lee without giving up 2 of those pitchers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I hear you but have a question the guys I mentioned did you check out what their careers have been so far? See I picked 4 of the top current pitchers in the minors. I thought of including Renaudo as well.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

You say the 25 mil is nothing to the Phills well that could net them a couple of top pitchers in next years FA class

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Nothing..... Do not even put out a offer for him... Stay away !! Won't have problem paying? Are you writing the check? 25-27 mil ... huge problem ! Don't need that head ache.....Rather Sox Lose then waste millions .... Yes waste !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You say the 25 mil is nothing to the Phills well that could net them a couple of top pitchers in next years FA class

It could net us top pitchers too...and they will be5-7 years younger than lee.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I hear you but have a question the guys I mentioned did you check out what their careers have been so far? See I picked 4 of the top current pitchers in the minors. I thought of including Renaudo as well.  

What top pitchers did you mention in the minors????

Latimer??? He's an Orginizational depth career minor leaguer

Sections
Shortcuts