If the Pirates offer Garrett Jones for Iglesias...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

If the Pirates offer Garrett Jones for Iglesias...

do you take it?

Jones's slash line vs. RHP    .279/.348/.504/.852    career

career vs. LHP   .198/.237/.353/.590

Splits with Gomes pretty well and can man 1st too.                                      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: If the Pirates offer Garrett Jones for Iglesias...

I'd bite their hand off.  But they won't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I saw on twitter through MLBTR.com a Pirates fan thinks Sox should give Doubront and Iglesias for Jones and maybe someone else.

Looking at the tweets reminds me of how Sox folks perceive potential trades with other teams:  thinking their player is worth so much more.  Natural to do so....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't see how the Sox can give up a potential GG SS for a mediocre 1B/LF. Not going to happen! Just sign Kotchman or Overbay. No players lost or give Salty his 1rst basemans glove back as he can play the position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I'd deal Doubront and Iglesias for Jones as long as we can sign Shaun Marcum or Kyle Lohse (though he does cost a pick).  Jones and Gomes would make a great platoon in LF (30+ HR).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wouldn't, but it pretty close.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I just have no faith that Iggy will ever be able to reach the MLB SS minimum for batting...or even close to it.   I hope I'm wrong;  I think I'm right (obviously).  So I don't value him.

Of course, one of the principles of negotiating is to find concessions that mean little to you but more to the other.  So let's talk him up and get value for him before his 83 MLB PA SSS disaster can be dismissed as a SSS anomaly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like to see Iggy as our starting SS, but it isn't going to happen.

If we won't play Iggy, then maybe trading him makes sense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I might do the trade, but I don't add ANYTHING to it. Straight up, take it or leave it. Even though I think Jones is an OK player and a solid fit, I think he should have little value. Only 1 year of control left. Costs 4.5  money. Poor defense. Total platoon player. Career 788 OPS. Even worse the last 3 years. Already 31.  I see little value and little future. Basically similar to Gomes.

On the other hand, don't see a lot of value with Iggy either. I actually value Marrero and even Vinicio  a bit more. I would not trade Marerro for Jones for example.  I'm not looking to trade Iggy yet, but I wouldn't be too afraid to either. Seems like a fair and reasonable trade.

However, I might prefer to wait until spring training to figure out more of what we have at SS and see what is available at 1b-lf before I trade anything. And zero chance I trade Doubront ALONE for Jones unless Doubront had an injury.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTChris. Show CTChris's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I might do the trade, but I don't add ANYTHING to it. Straight up, take it or leave it. Even though I think Jones is an OK player and a solid fit, I think he should have little value. Only 1 year of control left. Costs 4.5  money. Poor defense. Total platoon player. Career 788 OPS. Even worse the last 3 years. Already 31.  I see little value and little future. Basically similar to Gomes.

============================================================

According to Cot's, Jones only has 3.158 years of ML service time. I believe a player has to have 6yrs of ML service time before becoming eligable for free agency. Therefore, I believe he has more than 1 year of control left.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league-central/pittsburgh-pirates/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

You guys would trade Doubront really?  A young left handed SP for Garret Jones!!!  WOW!!  You are probably the same poster's who bash cherrington all the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to rickerd2's comment:

do you take it?

Jones's slash line vs. RHP    .279/.348/.504/.852    career

career vs. LHP   .198/.237/.353/.590

Splits with Gomes pretty well and can man 1st too.                                      

If the Sox are going to move on a LHH OF, I think David Murphy (.296 / .375 /.489) or David DeJesus (.289 / .365 / .461) both make more sense as options against RHP...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I don't know why the Sox have not resigned Scott Posednik yet as the back up/platoon left fielder.

He is capable of playing the other outfield positions and will be a much better defensive first baseman than Napoli within two weeks of getting some reps there becuase he is a much better all around athlete. 

All of these left handed throwing guys have played first base before by the time they are in the pros because there are only two other spots for them (pitcher and outfield) all through grade school, high school, college and the minors.  I would bet that Posednik has had a first baseman's glove in his bag for at least the last three years already.

Signing Kotchman or Overbay does not help provide a platooning lefty hitting left fielder although both of those guys may provide more HRs over the length of the season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

On the other hand, don't see a lot of value with Iggy either. I actually value Marrero and even Vinicio  a bit more. I would not trade Marerro for Jones for example.  I'm not looking to trade Iggy yet, but I wouldn't be too afraid to either. Seems like a fair and reasonable trade.

However, I might prefer to wait until spring training to figure out more of what we have at SS and see what is available at 1b-lf before I trade anything. And zero chance I trade Doubront ALONE for Jones unless Doubront had an injury.

actually hes got 2013-15 of control I believe.

I wouldnt give up Doubie for him theough. maybe Iggy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Jones for Iggy straight up? I would do it in a heartbeat but Douby stays.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He will play in AAA and work on his hitting, which is probably best for both parties. Unless you trade him because some GM falls in love with his potential before he has another poor year at the plate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IGGY will make our pitching staff look like a bunch of "CY YOUNG'S"  !!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

IGGY will make our pitching staff look like a bunch of "CY YOUNG'S"  !!!!

Yeah.  I'd love to see his glove for an entire season.  I can wince through his ABs, but the other half of the innings would be incredible.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I trade Iggy for the prettiest bag of balls I can find, as long as the prospect that is carrying those balls has some potential to pitch the ball.  Seriously, trade the man, and find more pitching at almost any costs.  Iggy is not our shortstop of the future.  The man can't hit.  Heck, he may have more potential in the majors as a pitcher in the AL.  At least then he gets a DH.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Hate to say it, but the Yankees are proof positive that a slick fielding SS is not a pre-requisite to fielding a winning team.  Jeter is great at the spin and throw from the hole, but he has never been regarded as much more than average range and arm...no Ozzie Smith, he.  And yet, the Yankees have had quite a run of success with Jeter manning their infield.

If Iglesias can be traded to get good pitching, the Sox have to do it.  I would not, however, trade him for a weak-hitting, platoon LF, even if his LH bat fits the team's needs at the moment.  Bogaerts will be their SS in a year or two, and Drew will man it for 2013.  Vinicio is the next slick fielder to come along.  If he develops a bat then he will rank above Iglesias, as will Marerro.  Iglesias is simply expendable.  But I would not give him up for a spare part.  Use his chip wisely; make him part of a deal for what the team needs most--pitching.  Iglesias has the upside to be someone's starting SS for 8-10 years.  Just my opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

actually hes got 2013-15 of control I believe.

Yep. My bad.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Sox won it all in 2007 without either the offense or the defense at SS.  Lugo was a huge disappointment in both regards, but the timely hitting, excellent starting pitching and lockdown bullpen won it for them.

Sections
Shortcuts