If the Pirates offer Garrett Jones for Iglesias...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Re: If the Pirates offer Garrett Jones for Iglesias...

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'd like to see Iggy as our starting SS, but it isn't going to happen.

If we won't play Iggy, then maybe trading him makes sense.

IGGY will make our pitching staff look like a bunch of "CY YOUNG'S"  !!!!

Only if he hits against them !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

iggy has a 2 year window on this team (thats being generous) if you can move him for a beneficial piece then do it. with Drew on the team this year and XB/lin/marrero expected to be ready within the next 2-4 years that really only leaves iggy a starting spot for 2014 and maybe parts of 2013 if drew gets injured/traded.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd rather have Iggy be a piece of a deal to bring in some pitching, not a platoon first baseman 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Hate to say it, but the Yankees are proof positive that a slick fielding SS is not a pre-requisite to fielding a winning team.  Jeter is great at the spin and throw from the hole, but he has never been regarded as much more than average range and arm...no Ozzie Smith, he.  And yet, the Yankees have had quite a run of success with Jeter manning their infield.

If Iglesias can be traded to get good pitching, the Sox have to do it.  I would not, however, trade him for a weak-hitting, platoon LF, even if his LH bat fits the team's needs at the moment.  Bogaerts will be their SS in a year or two, and Drew will man it for 2013.  Vinicio is the next slick fielder to come along.  If he develops a bat then he will rank above Iglesias, as will Marerro.  Iglesias is simply expendable.  But I would not give him up for a spare part.  Use his chip wisely; make him part of a deal for what the team needs most--pitching.  Iglesias has the upside to be someone's starting SS for 8-10 years.  Just my opinion.

I guess the Sox would want to use Iggy to get something more significant.  They have invested a lot in this player.  What is it, $2 mil a year to develop in the minors?  Guess they can't just give up now without something to show for the investment and patience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to rickerd2's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

IGGY will make our pitching staff look like a bunch of "CY YOUNG'S"  !!!!

Yeah.  I'd love to see his glove for an entire season.  I can wince through his ABs, but the other half of the innings would be incredible.

The other half of the inning would be  incredible if during that inning a ball is hit to Iggy, and that ball would be unplayable for an average fielding SS. That happens at least once or twice a WEEK!!!!  There are many innings where there isn't a ball hit to the SS. In my estimation, there might be 1 or 2 balls that Iggy gets to, but of those 1 or 2 most would have little or no bearing on the outcome of a game. Trade him for a batboy if someone offers one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

dont know who garrett jones is but yes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

dubront/buch + iggy+ lavarnway/salty plus kalish/nava for top of the rotation starter.  Top 2.  We are talking top 30 in MLB pitcher.  If we include Buch it better be a top 15 starter with at least a 2 year contract.  This is the type of deal we need.  All of these guys are MLB ready players, or all ready playing.  I would even consider a morales/aceves type to be added if it brought back a youg 1B with potential as well.  We are short 2 major pieces both now and in the future.  Top of the rotation starters, and 1B.  We have few in the system to be ready in the next 24-36 months.  Lets go get one of each please.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from willyssox. Show willyssox's posts

do you take it?

Jones's slash line vs. RHP    .279/.348/.504/.852    career

career vs. LHP   .198/.237/.353/.590

Splits with Gomes pretty well and can man 1st too.                                      

The Sox have already inquired about Jones and Pitt said No. A more likely trade partner is Seattle for either Smoak or Carp.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from willyssox. Show willyssox's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:

I'd deal Doubront and Iglesias for Jones as long as we can sign Shaun Marcum or Kyle Lohse (though he does cost a pick).  Jones and Gomes would make a great platoon in LF (30+ HR).

I would only do that type of trade with a guarenteed extension of Jones, otherwise it wouldnt be worth it. And of course the Sox would have to sign Marcum or trade Salty for a SP, perhaps Capuano (LHP) from LAD, a Springfield Mass native.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from willyssox. Show willyssox's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to titletownfan's comment:

I'd deal Doubront and Iglesias for Jones as long as we can sign Shaun Marcum or Kyle Lohse (though he does cost a pick).  Jones and Gomes would make a great platoon in LF (30+ HR).

if it was a choice between keeping iggy or doubront, i'd rather keep iggy.

right now iggy is an excellent defensive SS  and i do believe his hitting will improve. doubront is a mediocre pitcher at best. dealing him would be no loss to the SOX organization.

Wow, first of all you never trade a young (25) year old Left handed Starting pitcher unless it gets you either a #1 pitcher in return OR a Cornerstone player, IE Stanton. Doubront is projected to be a #3 starting pitcher, he isnt exactly garbage. Iggy may or may not ever hit, his complete game is his glove. His glove is the best in any league but if he never hits he isnt worth much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from willyssox. Show willyssox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I'd rather have Iggy be a piece of a deal to bring in some pitching, not a platoon first baseman 

Iggy by himself would never bring you a Starting pitcher, he would have to be With someone else. Salty is the player that Must be traded and has enough value to get you either a Starter or the 1B/OF platoon guy their looking for. Bumbling Ben looks too Gun Shy to pull off any trades however.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from willyssox. Show willyssox's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to willyssox's comment:

do you take it?

Jones's slash line vs. RHP    .279/.348/.504/.852    career

career vs. LHP   .198/.237/.353/.590

Splits with Gomes pretty well and can man 1st too.                                      

The Sox have already inquired about Jones and Pitt said No. A more likely trade partner is Seattle for either Smoak or Carp.

Might as well ask for the Space Needle.

Huh? The Mariners need a Catcher, we have an extra in Salty, the Mariners have a ton of 1B/OF guys that the Sox need. How is that asking for the Space needle?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I agree with this.  Since he will probably not get to play in Boston, his only value is apparently going to be trade value.

Sections
Shortcuts