if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs.....

Why? 

Doesn't this team, even with Buch on the DL, have a very good chance of winning the WS? 

The Red Sox are #1 offensively across the board.  And while their ERA puts their pitching staff in the middle or the pack, they have the 2nd lowest batting average against in the AL.  Defensively, they are .001 behind the leaders in Fielding percentage.

That's a great team - put together by Theo Epstien.  This is a WS caliber team - that's all you can expect from the GM. 

If they are playing well as a team, then that goes to the Manager.

And if a player performs below expectations, then that's on the player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Geez, let's get to the playoffs first.

The rest will take care of itself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs.....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : thats the spirit Yazzer.  you're the awesomest fan I know.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

thanks spaceman,

i do put a lot of effort into it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : thanks spaceman, i do put a lot of effort into it.
    Posted by -theyazzer-[/QUOTE]

Clearly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : actually, i'm getting myself prepared for the disappointment that will befall the SOX in OCTOBER. it is not as good a team as most on this board think it is; so be ready for a fall. i blame THEO for what will happen because of another one of his terrible free agent signings. that extra 140 million could have made this SOX team a great team. and this isn't second guessing; i knew back when the deal was consumated with jd crawford that it was a tragedy. he's a small market guy who will never perform well in a big market. it happens. theo was too dumb to notice. so when the SOX are eliminated early, as they will be, the ax should fall on theo's neck.

This is just my point.  You are anticipating failure.

There is nothing wrong with being realistic enough to know there is a good chance your team will not go all the way, because there are several good teams every year and anything can happen in October.  But your level of pessimism is just a little mind boggling to me, I don't understand how a fan can be like that.  I guess you are just one of those the cup is half empty kinda people, but hey that is your choice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : This is just my point.  You are anticipating failure. There is nothing wrong with being realistic enough to know there is a good chance your team will not go all the way, because there are several good teams every year and anything can happen in October.  But your level of pessimism is just a little mind boggling to me, I don't understand how a fan can be like that.  I guess you are just one of those the cup is half empty kinda people, but hey that is your choice.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

thank you, dr phil.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Not Theo, but Francoma...no question.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : thank you, dr phil.

your welcome

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]if a team dominates in the reg season and loses in the playoffs, that is more the manager's fault (if assigning blame to non-players) i am worried about backing into the playoffs again like we did in 2009...i hope we go for the jugular and take the division...we will need all the home field we can get against the tough ALCS teams
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I love it.  For the first time you are acknowledging that it was Francona and not Schilling or Beckett or Manny or Ortiz or Lowell or Damon or whoever responsible for the 2004 and 2007 WS.  In neither year did the Sox dominate the AL.   And they crushed first the Cardinals and then the Rockies.   Thanks to superb managing.

Which of course is baloney.  The players always get the lion's share of the credit in wins and losses.  But in 2004 and 2007 it's hard to argue that Francona made them play worse.  In fact, given 2004 and 2007, it's hard to argue he hasn't been the right guy for the Sox since the day he arrived. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : This is just my point.  You are anticipating failure. There is nothing wrong with being realistic enough to know there is a good chance your team will not go all the way, because there are several good teams every year and anything can happen in October.  But your level of pessimism is just a little mind boggling to me, I don't understand how a fan can be like that.  I guess you are just one of those the cup is half empty kinda people, but hey that is your choice.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Read my lips. "He is not a Red Sox fan". He is a troll. His glass is always troll full.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

So if they win the World Series what then should be done with Theo?  A massive payraise?  Unimited access to concubines of his choice?  Cart Blanche access to a private plane to any destination of his choosing at any given time? This thread is another example of the fellowship of the miserable who by all rights should be extinct after 2004 but certainly after 2007!  Geesh!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -)TheBabe(-. Show -)TheBabe(-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : Read my lips. "He is not a Red Sox fan". He is a troll. His glass is always troll full.

Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Are you sure pike?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]So if they win the World Series what then should be done with Theo?  A massive payraise?  Unimited access to concubines of his choice?  Cart Blanche access to a private plane to any destination of his choosing at any given time? This thread is another example of the fellowship of the miserable who by all rights should be extinct after 2004 but certainly after 2007!  Geesh!
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Theo can apply for Golden God status and be given the ultimate Frequent Flyer pass that George Clooney received in Up in the Air. After that, they will then have to e-rect a statue of Theo in his gorilla suit as a testament that indeed you should never break "Ape Law." 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Wake up call. The Boston Red Sox have 2/5th of their opening day starting rotation on DL for the remainder of the year and third pitcher that clearly looks like he is pitching through both physical and off the field issues (Lackey).

Given the importance of starting pitching in the post season if the Boston Red Sox do not go win it all or do not go deep, this is not what you terminate either a manager or the GM of the team over when their resumes are what these guys are.

Assuming they make the post season this year they will have made playoffs 6 out of 8 years Francona has been the manager and 7 out of 9 years with Epstein as GM.

I am quite sure that their employers are happy with their work and for those in RS Nation that aren't you should probably rent some videos from 1996 or 1966 and watch what disappointing RS baseball looks like.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Some of the younger fans may not understand Sox history. For the long time fans like myself, we were starting to think that we would never live to see a Red Sox Championship. Now we have two , and are in strong contention this year and every year.  Pretty hard to bash John Henry , Theo or Tito.  They , along with the players , deserve the credit for the success of the ballclub.  Of course they make mistakes, as we all do , but overall they have done a great job.  I will criticize as much as most , but let's give some credit where it is due.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

when they started Galehouse, wasn't Parnell available to throw? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : actually, i'm getting myself prepared for the disappointment that will befall the SOX in OCTOBER. it is not as good a team as most on this board think it is; so be ready for a fall. i blame THEO for what will happen because of another one of his terrible free agent signings. that extra 140 million could have made this SOX team a great team. and this isn't second guessing; i knew back when the deal was consumated with jd crawford that it was a tragedy. he's a small market guy who will never perform well in a big market. it happens. theo was too dumb to notice. so when the SOX are eliminated early, as they will be, the ax should fall on theo's neck.
    Posted by -theyazzer-[/QUOTE]As far as the Crawford signing goes, I never got it BUT the answer wasn't going to be to spend that money elsewhere in 2011 IMO.

The RS were never going to be a player on Cliff Lee, if that avenue was open, he would have landed in NY because if the highest bidder was going to win out, that bidder was always going to the NYY. There wasn't another starting pitcher worthy of signing last winter.

And once Werth was paid more than he was worth, aside from Crawford there wasn't a OF worth making a long term commitment to.

So the answer would have been a "Bridge Year Part II".

What we will never know is if there was a tremendous amount of pressure from the ownership group to make a splash signing to bookend Adrian Gonzalez. NESN had faced consecutive years of falling ratings and this franchise first and foremost is the lead programming property for a cable network.

Yes the RS do have issues in their starting pitching staff and those may haunt them come October if Bedard doesn't pitch like Bedard can and Lackey doesn't continue to improve. But while it is easy to point out how CC has not earned his paycheck in his first year in Boston, the production of their LF hasn't had and probably won't have a great deal of impact on their post season fate. And IMO if you take a hard look at the 2010 FA market, if that contract is dead money it isn't 2011 that it will impact, it will be in the future that this contract will become a choke collar IMHO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Some of the younger fans may not understand Sox history. For the long time fans like myself, we were starting to think that we would never live to see a Red Sox Championship. Now we have two , and are in strong contention this year and every year.  Pretty hard to bash John Henry , Theo or Tito.  They , along with the players , deserve the credit for the success of the ballclub.  Of course they make mistakes, as we all do , but overall they have done a great job.  I will criticize as much as most , but let's give some credit where it is due.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

You get it, then, dgalehouse.  Like you, I was beginning to think it would never happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Can't buy the bridge argument if they got AGON...That in itself was a collosal move to improve the team after the Bridge Year. CC was a want, not a need, and that's why you learn from these type of mistakes. Lackey was signed because he was all that was left? The only guy out there that offseason? I'm tired of reading about how the Sox were forced to sign guys to these deals because Sox Nation can't tolerate no moves. If a guy isn't available, you wait until there is someone available, or you get them at the trade deadline or all-star break. There's a number of ways to fill a "need." 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : You get it, then, dgalehouse.  Like you, I was beginning to think it would never happen.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

You know I hear this a lot. I was a pre-2004 long-time fan. I died with the losses, and I got excited in the highs of 75,86,95,99. Was I relieved when they won it all in 04? Absolutely relieved and gratified. But at what point do you start thinking it's ok to win again? I mean didn't that arch enemy of our fair team win a ridiculous amount of championships? They weren't satisfied with 1 or 2. Why is that we can just say, "ah, you know what, we won in 04 and 07, now it doesn't matter. It's all gravy now."....hey, great, then don't root for the team anymore. Look, I love that we have Epstein at GM, Francona at Manager, and the FO boys. They are solid as rocks, but that doesn't mean they can't be free of criticism. It doesn't mean you get a free pass forever. They haven't won since 2007, and they haven't been to the playoffs since 2009. Believe me, it's ok to want more. Really it is. I want more. I want the Patriots to go back to the Super Bowl and actually win it all again. It's euphoric, It's fun. The B's won the Stanley Cup, so should I just give up for next season as a fan? Hey, Claude and Peter, just mail it in next season, we got our Cup, that should satisfy us for another some 40 years. I don't buy that way of thinking. And if you never thought your team would ever win, then you must be a Chicago Cubs fan. They are the ones that need a hug from us all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]when they started Galehouse, wasn't Parnell available to throw? 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Yes , he was, others were as well. Strange decision by the manager, McCarthy. Seemed like he was just playing a hunch.  It did not work out. The Indians won the game and went on to win the World Series.  Somehow , Denny Galehouse became known as the scapegoat.  This , along with Ted Williams , is my earliest memory of the Red Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Can't buy the bridge argument if they got AGON...That in itself was a collosal move to improve the team after the Bridge Year. CC was a want, not a need, and that's why you learn from these type of mistakes. Lackey was signed because he was all that was left? The only guy out there that offseason? I'm tired of reading about how the Sox were forced to sign guys to these deals because Sox Nation can't tolerate no moves. If a guy isn't available, you wait until there is someone available, or you get them at the trade deadline or all-star break. There's a number of ways to fill a "need." 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Well, unless you've got somebody in your system, you only have the free agent market and the trade market.  For the trade market you have to give up talent.  For free agents it's cash.  With Lackey and Crawford they picked two guys with strong resumes who for whatever reason haven't performed up to expectations.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : Yes , he was, others were as well. Strange decision by the manager, McCarthy. Seemed like he was just playing a hunch.  It did not work out. The Indians won the game and went on to win the World Series.  Somehow , Denny Galehouse became known as the scapegoat.  This , along with Ted Williams , is my earliest memory of the Red Sox.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

It was stunning. Parnell was 25-7 that year, how do you not throw your ace? McCarthy is a HOF manager, but he just went brain-dead like Zimmer did with his mandatory benching of Jenkins/Lee in 78. Idiotic to say the least.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if the SOX are eliminated early in the playoffs..... : Well, unless you've got somebody in your system, you only have the free agent market and the trade market.  For the trade market you have to give up talent.  For free agents it's cash.  With Lackey and Crawford they picked two guys with strong resumes who for whatever reason haven't performed up to expectations.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

That's how my Youkilis trade bait stuff started. They really could afford to deal a guy who had a lower contract and was a star player. They chose to go the free agent route. Ok.