If the Sox could sign both Sanchez and Marcum, things would be finally headed in the right direction...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

If the Sox could sign both Sanchez and Marcum, things would be finally headed in the right direction...

Marcum I have always liked but Sanchez to me could be the X-factor they need on this staff. Sanchez will cost a lot but he is worh it imo. I was wonderng if there is any chance that the Sox could get rid of Lackey? I guess if they ate his contract and released him or trade him for anything they can get at this point. I know it is a pipe dream and I will get flamed and that is ok but , a rotation of Lester, Buckholtz, Sanchez, Marcum and Dubront. You would have to admit that, for the most part, it's looks good on paper.

Two more thoughts. If either Sanchez or Marcum weren't signed, can you see them going after Gavin Floyd in a trade? I read that Chicago is ready to deal him and I believe that after 2013 he is a free agent too. He may not be that great but you can usualyl encilhim for 12 wins and 30 stars and 180 plus IP. Last thing as well. Let's say Lackey is kept which will most likely happen but if the Sox could sign Sanchez and Marcum, would anyone here be opposed to seeing Buckhotlz go in a package for Upton? If not upton, any type of package. The way I see it, no player is untradable on his roster and why not make a splash and move him now. I would say, Upton is  better ideal option then over paying Swisher or Cody Ross. Agree or disagree.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: If the Sox could sign both Sanchez and Marcum, things would be finally headed in the right direction...

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:

Marcum I have always liked but Sanchez to me could be the X-factor they need on this staff. Sanchez will cost a lot but he is worh it imo. I was wonderng if there is any chance that the Sox could get rid of Lackey? I guess if they ate his contract and released him or trade him for anything they can get at this point. I know it is a pipe dream and I will get flamed and that is ok but , a rotation of Lester, Buckholtz, Sanchez, Marcum and Dubront. You would have to admit that, for the most part, it's looks good on paper.

Two more thoughts. If either Sanchez or Marcum weren't signed, can you see them going after Gavin Floyd in a trade? I read that Chicago is ready to deal him and I believe that after 2013 he is a free agent too. He may not be that great but you can usualyl encilhim for 12 wins and 30 stars and 180 plus IP. Last thing as well. Let's say Lackey is kept which will most likely happen but if the Sox could sign Sanchez and Marcum, would anyone here be opposed to seeing Buckhotlz go in a package for Upton? If not upton, any type of package. The way I see it, no player is untradable on his roster and why not make a splash and move him now. I would say, Upton is  better ideal option then over paying Swisher or Cody Ross. Agree or disagree.

lets give lackey a chance (hard to do after his 2011 campaign I KNOW. but he was pitching with a shredded elbow). lets see how he does in 2013 because lets face it, trading him now would be utterly stupid as we would get NOTHING for him. as opposed to if he comes back in 2013 and pitches well we can trade him in the following offseason with a higher stock (and the incentive of that free year would be attractive to other teams too).

also if a pitcher has to go it would be lester for myers + a prospect

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Re: If the Sox could sign both Sanchez and Marcum, things would be finally headed in the right direction...

Lackey pitched well for the Halos. If some other team like the Dodgers get Greinke, the Angels may be looking for pitching. If we don't get Napoli or Swisher for first base, would you trade Lackey for Morales plus prospects?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

What if they did the Lester trade, then signed both pitchers?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't know about Marcum after reading what a soft tosser he is now.  I think I read that his fastball was 86 or 87 MPH last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox could have both Sanchez and Marcum and for that matter add Dempster and McCarthy--They can have any FA that wants to come to Boston. They can just about outbid anyone with $80 M of spendable cash after dumping AGon, Beckett, CC, Punto DiceK, Jenks, and Youk. The question is how do they choose to spend the money.

Kind of Ironic tomorrow is Christmas at Fenway--tickets go on sale--Non Tendered contracts become FA at midnight tonight and the Winer Meetings start this week. Will tickets sales be slower with not much action as yet?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Have to give Lackey a chance to be sure. I dislike the dude but we need to hope for the best with him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If we could interest LAA in Lackey, I'd pursue that, but if it was just a straight salary dump, so we would upgrade from Lackey to Sanchez, my guess is that the money could be better spent elsewhere.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I understand people's frustration with Lackey, but consider his timeline:

• 2005-2009 - good to excellent seasons
    • winter 2009 - Sox sign him with specific TJ surgery language in his contract so knew there was an issue there
    • 2010 - mediocre season (ERA+ 99, 215 innings)
    • 2011 - horrible season
    • autumn 2011 - TJ surgery

I think there is every chance he can rebound to be an effective pitcher again and, further, right now this would be another example of selling low.  He's worth more to us for the chance he'll recover to be a solid nbr 3 than the pittance he'd bring in trade.

Beer-and-chicken crowd - we know your view, no need to dredge it up again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Our best pitcher right now, is a number 3 starter on any other top tier team. We are hoping for Lester and Buchholz to be a number 1 and 2 respectively having bounceback years in 2013, just as last year, we thought Buchholz Buchholz would do well after flaming out in 2011. Well, we saw the results....7 consecutive 5+ ER games.

And what about Lackey? Everyone wanted to run him out on a rail, but now we look to him to be a silid #3 guy? Bard was a disaster. Cherington ruined his career IMO.

We have to sign at least two of the best FA starters available, and there are several that are better than any of our guys. Just look at the numbers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd rather see Sanchez and McCarthy signed (or trade for B Anderson), then we could use a pitcher or two from Doubront, Morales, Tazawa, or Breslow as part of a bigger package with prospects to get a top quality middle order bat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Lohse will be my first choice at the moment and Sanchez will be a pitcher I would not disregard. Sanchez estimated want is 90 mill for 6 yrs. and still under 30 yrs. old, and know what it is like to play in a Red Sox uniform . Lohse is over 30 but can still do the job and being in the Cardinals roster will make him a pitcher to handle the Red Sox nation critics.

I will take Lohse my first option depending on his contract length but Sanchez will be better risk factor long term. If Lohse sign a 2 year deal and Sanchez a 6 year deal I will be estatic and doing back flips. But I am pipe dreaming though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The Sox could have both Sanchez and Marcum and for that matter add Dempster and McCarthy--They can have any FA that wants to come to Boston. They can just about outbid anyone with $80 M of spendable cash after dumping AGon, Beckett, CC, Punto DiceK, Jenks, and Youk. The question is how do they choose to spend the money.

Kind of Ironic tomorrow is Christmas at Fenway--tickets go on sale--Non Tendered contracts become FA at midnight tonight and the Winer Meetings start this week. Will tickets sales be slower with not much action as yet?

Tickets for what the Ice Capades? The Sox better start wheeling and dealing if they want the streak to continue! This team is lacking star quality players,not to count the fact that the players they have stink for the most part! the pitching staff is littered with #3 starters and their bullpen is filled with injury list regulars. As for everyday players only their DH and second baseman are top shelf. Ellsbury is still a hangnail away from the DL,  though he does have skill he's a weakling and a Boras client and much like JD Drew he spends a lot of time nursing injuries real or percieved. I will add that Iglesias is a star defender so at least the right side of the infield won't resemble the seive it was last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would be very contented if the Sox just signed FA Pitching and traded existing players to selectively meet their other needs.

Spend on Sanchez, Marcum, Dempster, Lohse and a wildcard like Grienke.

Trade away the 5 man rotation we have in place for two corner OF's, a SS and a 1b.

Give the kids a year to play together and bring them up as they are needed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I think that picking up two FA pitchers would be good and possibly trading an existing pitcher plus some prospects for an upgrade - - if one can be had. They aren't called aces for nothing! On the other hand, Red Sox staff ERA's were quite high last year. Beckett has been removed, but it is interesting how posters want to keep most of the other pitchers for one reason or another.

I have to agree with some that Grienke might be pushing it in the Boston market. I can remember when the reporters were pissed that Aceves blew them off after certain games. The same reporters weren't happy with Beckett and Lackey after some of their interviews. Can you imagine what it would be like for Grienke, who would not answer at all?? I don't blame it on Grienke; he has a social issue, but I don't think the Boston market is for him, especially at what he will be paid.

I would also like to see Rubby get a shot, depending on his control. His velocity was certainly there post-TJ.

I am on the bandwagon to see Iggy at short this year. A defensive wizard will have a positive effect on the staff ERA's. You also have to figure that we can't have $18M+ players at every position. If Iggy's OBP is OK, he could be locked-up long term for a few million a year or so. Then again, I liked Alex Gonzalez.

Just checked the spelling on Alex Gonzalez name and picked up this:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/red-sox-notes-laroche-ross-aceves-upton.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

I would rather have Iggy. Alex is 35?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Red Sox have to lock up a mediocre catcher who hit .227 first.

Then they will address the abysmal pitching

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's easier to trade for a 1Bman than a pitcher. If we don't upgrade our rotation, it won't matter if we sign Hamilton, Napoli and Drew; we won't make the playoffs unless a lot of thing all go right at the same time.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

wow softy, over-value much?

no way sanchez gets 2 mil from any yeam

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Sanchez and Marcum are 2nd and 3rd rate bums. There are better values on bums, than these two. Sanchez on a one year deal and 1 to 2M is where his value to the Red Sox ends.

So what offers do you make to Mike Pelfrey, Jair Jurrjens or Jeff Karstens, starters who were non-tendered today?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess we could give him the benefit of doubt and assume he thinks we are talking about Jonathan Sanchez.

Nah...

He's a clown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Lets just asked ourselves this question. The Giants are willing to listen to offers for Lincecum, but the offers will need to be very realistic. What will us as a fan give up to get Lincecum.

I would look at Lester Ciriaco Lavarnway and our 1st rd. pick. This could do it or at least get Giants to call BC back and say this is what we want instead. If the sox get this ace will be just as exciting as the days when Pedro Martinez was here. I can still remember the days when the Sox had Clemens pitching until he tarnish his relationship with the fans. I think this is the type of pitcher that Sox need to give the fans, hard throwing SO's pitcher. I remember watching the fans reaction when Papelbon came in to close, every time he zing a ball for a strike the fans went nuts. This is what i miss the most.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$5M for Guthrie and $1-2M for A Sanchez.

Who's the stooge?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Sanchez and Marcum are 2nd and 3rd rate bums. There are better values on bums, than these two. Sanchez on a one year deal and 1 to 2M is where his value to the Red Sox ends.

This has got to be one of the most unrealistic posts youve written, and you have a lot of them.

You knew we were talking about A. Sanchez as hes the obvious sanchez being discussed in this post about FREE AGENTS.

Sections
Shortcuts