If the Sox could sign both Sanchez and Marcum, things would be finally headed in the right direction...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: If the Sox could sign both Sanchez and Marcum, things would be finally headed in the right direction...

See alot of McCarthy, Sanchez, Marcum, and Haren love on this board. But they all come with ?'s to say the least.

Sanchez- has had multiple arm injuries and are we to base on what he did in playoffs as what we'll get for entire season if he can continue to stay healthy?

McCarthy- hit in head last yr and fractured skull, not to mention injured arm last yr prior?

Marcum- also has battled injuries and velocity down to 86-87, in AL East?

Haren- Bad back anyone?

But the guy no one seems to be mentioning is Edwin Jackson. Who we might be able to get on a short term deal [signed for 1yr last yr] he's pitched in AL East before, he avg's 197 IP for his career [something the RS desperately need] would be a perfect 3-4 starter on this team. Seems to come w/ less question marks than all the others. He would also be pricey but if short term til Barnes and Webster are ready, he seems to make the most sense for me. RS can't afford ?'s right now, if you can gaurentee that D.Haren is healthy, he would be the guy for me. But no one can. If RS could sign both I would be very happy. Haren to a incentive laden contract + Jackson a guy I know will give us 200 IP.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: If the Sox could sign both Sanchez and Marcum, things would be finally headed in the right direction...

I would not be suprised if Jackson is the eventual add to this rotation.  Disappointed, but not surprised.  Jackson is what you say he is.  A good #4.  I just think the Sox need a good #2 or #3.  Jackson is not that, IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would not be suprised if Jackson is the eventual add to this rotation.  Disappointed, but not surprised.  Jackson is what you say he is.  A good #4.  I just think the Sox need a good #2 or #3.  Jackson is not that, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

But is there a safe # 2 or 3 out there this year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

See alot of McCarthy, Sanchez, Marcum, and Haren love on this board. But they all come with ?'s to say the least.

Sanchez- has had multiple arm injuries and are we to base on what he did in playoffs as what we'll get for entire season if he can continue to stay healthy?

McCarthy- hit in head last yr and fractured skull, not to mention injured arm last yr prior?

Marcum- also has battled injuries and velocity down to 86-87, in AL East?

Haren- Bad back anyone?

But the guy no one seems to be mentioning is Edwin Jackson. Who we might be able to get on a short term deal [signed for 1yr last yr] he's pitched in AL East before, he avg's 197 IP for his career [something the RS desperately need] would be a perfect 3-4 starter on this team. Seems to come w/ less question marks than all the others. He would also be pricey but if short term til Barnes and Webster are ready, he seems to make the most sense for me. RS can't afford ?'s right now, if you can gaurentee that D.Haren is healthy, he would be the guy for me. But no one can. If RS could sign both I would be very happy. Haren to a incentive laden contract + Jackson a guy I know will give us 200 IP.

[/QUOTE]

Jackson doesn't have questions marks? Your kidding right? and how many team has he played for--Try 7 teams in 10 mlb seasons. You are trying to sell me the idela that Marcum can't pitch in the AL east, then what the hell do you say about Jackson's era when he played for the Rays?

In 3 seasons there his era was: 5.45, 5.76 and 4.42 and mind you his era was about 4 this year pitching in the national league. Also thorow in the fatc that his agent is Scott Boras. No thanks. They could do a lot better then him. Marcum and Sanchez alone are better then Jackson on thier worst day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm concearned Sanchez to me is your safest bet. What he did in the playoffs was amazing. This guy is a stud and he is only 28 years old. Yeah, he has some health issues over the years but tell me what pitcher doesn't? He is the only pitcher I would break the bank for this off-season.

All the other deserve 1 or 2 year deal with options. That's it. You get Sanchez, I beleive he can get 14 plus wins a season. Remeber all those years in Florida and even with the Tigers, he never had as attractive offense as the Sox hitting behind him. Now he would have that. Let's also not forget, he finished with a 1.77 era in the postseason. He also had 18 k's in 20 ip as well. Nough said. Sign him, he should be our #1 target this week.

But is there a safe # 2 or 3 out there this year?

[/QUOTE]

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Marcum I have always liked but Sanchez to me could be the X-factor they need on this staff. Sanchez will cost a lot but he is worh it imo. I was wonderng if there is any chance that the Sox could get rid of Lackey? I guess if they ate his contract and released him or trade him for anything they can get at this point. I know it is a pipe dream and I will get flamed and that is ok but , a rotation of Lester, Buckholtz, Sanchez, Marcum and Dubront. You would have to admit that, for the most part, it's looks good on paper.

Two more thoughts. If either Sanchez or Marcum weren't signed, can you see them going after Gavin Floyd in a trade? I read that Chicago is ready to deal him and I believe that after 2013 he is a free agent too. He may not be that great but you can usualyl encilhim for 12 wins and 30 stars and 180 plus IP. Last thing as well. Let's say Lackey is kept which will most likely happen but if the Sox could sign Sanchez and Marcum, would anyone here be opposed to seeing Buckhotlz go in a package for Upton? If not upton, any type of package. The way I see it, no player is untradable on his roster and why not make a splash and move him now. I would say, Upton is  better ideal option then over paying Swisher or Cody Ross. Agree or disagree.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind having them both on the roster but looking in depth into Marcum he has really struggled in the PS.  I may go the rout of Anibal anf McCarthy before Marcum.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$10M/2 is $5M a year.

Do the math.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Marcum I have always liked but Sanchez to me could be the X-factor they need on this staff. Sanchez will cost a lot but he is worh it imo. I was wonderng if there is any chance that the Sox could get rid of Lackey? I guess if they ate his contract and released him or trade him for anything they can get at this point. I know it is a pipe dream and I will get flamed and that is ok but , a rotation of Lester, Buckholtz, Sanchez, Marcum and Dubront. You would have to admit that, for the most part, it's looks good on paper.

I don't see Lester or Clay being untouchables if we can sign a couple top pitchers.  I'm also not counting on Lackey "even after the surgery" until I see him prove it.

Two more thoughts. If either Sanchez or Marcum weren't signed, can you see them going after Gavin Floyd in a trade? I read that Chicago is ready to deal him and I believe that after 2013 he is a free agent too. He may not be that great but you can usualyl encilhim for 12 wins and 30 stars and 180 plus IP. Last thing as well. Let's say Lackey is kept which will most likely happen but if the Sox could sign Sanchez and Marcum, would anyone here be opposed to seeing Buckhotlz go in a package for Upton? If not upton, any type of package. The way I see it, no player is untradable on his roster and why not make a splash and move him now. I would say, Upton is  better ideal option then over paying Swisher or Cody Ross. Agree or disagree.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind having them both on the roster but looking in depth into Marcum he has really struggled in the PS.  I may go the rout of Anibal anf McCarthy before Marcum.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see Lester or Clay being untouchables if we can sign a couple top pitchers. I'm also not counting on Lackey "even after the surgery" until I see him prove it.  As far as Floyd?  He has always been lower on my list than a guy like Garza who we all know can pitch tough in our division, but if the price is right I can see us signing him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Signing Sanchez & McCarthy and trading for Floyd (or B Anderson) would allow us to deal some of our pitching for some top players/prospects.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Signing Sanchez & McCarthy and trading for Floyd (or B Anderson) would allow us to deal some of our pitching for some top players/prospects.

[/QUOTE]

Definately moon, with De La Rosa and Barnes also in the mix, packaging Lester or Clay may also land us a nice young OF like Myers, or at the very least Justin Upton.  I'm not a huge fan of Uptons defense and feel his stats may drop even lower by swapping leagues but hes better than what we currently have.