Re: If they Ever Made a Movie.About`Some of The Protagonists
posted at 7/12/2011 2:45 AM EDT
In Response to Re: If they Ever Made a Movie.About`Some of The Protagonists
[QUOTE]The changing of the masks addresses the board paranoia impeccably. You have captured the characters well. I had a play in mind a couple of years ago, but it had to be done in one act, and it was so long, my PC at that time couldn't handle it. You are the first to try such an endeavor. The different acts is a good idea. Don't worry about alienating anybody. Compromising never ends and only hurts the content. The posters who are worth a damn will get it. That's all that counts.
Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
Since it was your idea (That I initially resisted); it is important to me that you read all 4 scenes, + Epilogue. I doubt even you got all the jokes; at one point I was thinking of color coding the references; for example:
1) Practically everything Babe said was a Newman quote.
2) The Freedonia reference was a Duck Soup spoof on Nazi Germany; and Hitler only became Chancellor the year it was made; amazing.
3) I was fond of the Waste Disposal dialogue.
4) The obscure (& mediocre) movie Last Holiday ('06) was where I got the idea for the Hotel; Gerard Depardieu was the Chef, and it starred Queen Latifah & Timothy Hutton as well.
5) Francois Truffaut was a prominent French Director during the 50s, 60s, & 70s, and was a big part of what is commonly known as the French New Wave.
6) Beckmesser was a grovelly character devised by Wagner, and his antisemitic tendencies supposedly framed the negative Jewish stereotype at that time as the character's basis.