If They REALLY want to turn this TEAM around......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

If They REALLY want to turn this TEAM around......

I think if the Sox really want to turn this team around they might want to think about shopping Beckett who even with his end of the season binge eating and drinking (or so has been widely talked about), turned out, on paper, a nice season. Lets not forget that for 3/4 of the season he pitched very well, and with some John Lackey like runs support could have finished with 16-18 wins. Even with his price tag he will have trade value.

And, I know that a lot of you on this site will hate this, but I think you shop Lester and Bucholtz as well, especially Bucholtz. Both are still young with cheap contracts and could be used as high leverage players to bring in higher caliber SP....Felix Hernandez maybe? As well as replenishing a farm system that has been said to be thin on top tier talent at the higher levels. I'm also hoping that the rumors that the Cubs want to talk with Theo, and that the Sox want compensation are true. I am also hoping that the speculation that the Sox could try and send John Lackey to the Cubs with Theo is a possibility and the Sox could get AL East vet Garza back in return. 

Its also time to make a decision on Daniel Bards future. Either they think he can close and they need to give him the ball, or they need to start grooming him for a rotation spot. His talents are being wasted in the 7th and 8th innings which is usually reserved for also-rans (see Rays Bullpen).  They can try and teach him to pull it back on his fast ball to stretch him out in games, throwing 92-95 regularly and working to get more confident in his secondary pitches (Like Verlander).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: If They REALLY want to turn this TEAM around......

Beckett can be salvaged if he wants to be salvaged.  If not, he's done.

But Lackey has to be gone.  Or at least go through a major attitude adjustment.  But truth be told, after what he did this past season he doesn't deserve a ring.

Why do I get the sense that if he's back next year he'll be involved in a barroom altercation?  I just get the sense that he'll be slightly intoxicated and some other slightly intoxicated patron will start in on him and Lackey will take a swing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

I agree that Beckett can be salvaged as a pitcher. But if they are looking to clean up the club house and get the culture of the team moving in a different direction I think Beckett is one of the guys that needs to go. Both teams could benefit in a deal for him, the Sox get new blood in return, and Beckett goes somewhere new where he isnt quite so comfortable.

Lackey has been a mess. I still think if he goes to an NL team he could get back to putting up decent numbers. He cant handle it in this big market.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I definitely like the idea of trading Lackey.  This has been mentioned many times by Red Sox fans on this site.  Just not sure who would want him or how this is going to happen, but I don't believe he would be missed.   Improving the pitching for next season has to be a priority for the Red Sox for them to have any success. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: If They REALLY want to turn this TEAM around......:
    [QUOTE]I definitely like the idea of trading Lackey.  This has been mentioned many times by Red Sox fans on this site.  Just not sure who would want him or how this is going to happen, but I don't believe he would be missed.   Improving the pitching for next season has to be a priority for the Red Sox for them to have any success. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

I agree susan, without Lackey gone I don't see our staff getting better even if we land a solid #4.  Making Lackey #5 will have us all wishing we kept Wake.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The only way Lackey gets traded away is if they package someone really good with him.  I can see Lackey tagged onto trade involving Ellsbury or the SS in AAA, but no one will take Lackey straight up even if the Sox eat most of his contract.

Maybe they can inject Lackey with steroids without his knowledge right before a drug test so that he gets suspended.  Maybe spike his beer or something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Nobody want the bear the thought of the 2012 Sox finishing in 3rd place again but it could happen.       There's a lot of "ifs" involved :

-   If Beckett shows up in Fort Myers in shape to earn his contract.
    -   If Lester returns to the pitcher he was prior to August.
    -   If Buchholz is completely healthy with no back issues.
    -   If Crawford becomes the player he was with the Rays.
    -   If the right field problem gets solved.
    -   If the middle relief can be solid.

The team has no trading chips to use to deal for serviceable No. 4 and 5 pitchers unless they use Youkilis and find a free agent 3rd baseman.
    No minor league prospects ready for the major leagues unless they get rushed which is always a risky thing to do.
    The 2012 free agent class doesn't offer too much and John Henry may be gun shy about signing big money players for awhile.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett can be salvaged if he wants to be salvaged.  If not, he's done. But Lackey has to be gone.  Or at least go through a major attitude adjustment.  But truth be told, after what he did this past season he doesn't deserve a ring. Why do I get the sense that if he's back next year he'll be involved in a barroom altercation?  I just get the sense that he'll be slightly intoxicated and some other slightly intoxicated patron will start in on him and Lackey will take a swing.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

No...I heard he a good guy.  Media clips of him (I'm not "blaming" the media).  Simply portray him this way and it's easy to judge.  Sure he's the worst pitcher in all of baseball but no don't speculate on baroom antics.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I SAY, PUT ALL THE PLAYERS ON THE TABLE EXCEPT,   PEDROIA,A-GON,ELLSBURY, BARD, ACCEVES, LAVARNWAY.........  JUST DO IT !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]    I SAY, PUT ALL THE PLAYERS ON THE TABLE EXCEPT,   PEDROIA,A-GON,ELLSBURY, BARD, ACCEVES, LAVARNWAY.........  JUST DO IT !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway? One game has made him a must keep? I dont know....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If They REALLY want to turn this TEAM around...... : No...I heard he a good guy.  Media clips of him (I'm not "blaming" the media).  Simply portray him this way and it's easy to judge.  Sure he's the worst pitcher in all of baseball but no don't speculate on baroom antics.
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

I'm basing my opinion on his comments to the media regarding him receiving a text about filing for divorce.  He had to know that no one in the room sent the test to him but yet he brings it up.  And then he gets all huffy when someone asks a legitimate follow up question on the subject he raised.

Not to mention his antics on the field.  He comes across as a jerk.

One other thing - who files for divorce during a road trip in the middle of pennant race and the team is having problems? Sorry, but if he was having personal problems, put them on the back burner until the end of the season.  He's not some guy getting paid small money.  He's the second highest paid player on the team.

Lackey represents the worst in free agency.  Gets paid and then quits.  Being the second highest paid player on the team automatically makes him a team leader.  He was beyond bad and should have been doing everything he could to help the team win.  Instead, he's more focused on getting divorced.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Theres 1 person on my no trade list : Dustin Pedroia. All else could be had

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE] Theres 1 person on my no trade list : Dustin Pedroia. All else could be had
    Posted by RickEO[/QUOTE]

I agree.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Lester is from Seattle and probably would love to go home and pitch in front of family and friends in a true pitchers park. And zero media pressure. Having said that, I am not promoting his being traded, unless there is a huge value in return that obviously would need to be King Felix. I have no problem including Lester in a package that returns King Felix, however I don't think there is any chance at all of that happening...to the Yankees, yes, to us, no.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

In Response to If They REALLY want to turn this TEAM around......:
    [QUOTE]I think if the Sox really want to turn this team around they might want to think about shopping Beckett who even with his end of the season binge eating and drinking (or so has been widely talked about), turned out, on paper, a nice season. Lets not forget that for 3/4 of the season he pitched very well, and with some John Lackey like runs support could have finished with 16-18 wins. Even with his price tag he will have trade value. And, I know that a lot of you on this site will hate this, but I think you shop Lester and Bucholtz as well, especially Bucholtz. Both are still young with cheap contracts and could be used as high leverage players to bring in higher caliber SP....Felix Hernandez maybe? As well as replenishing a farm system that has been said to be thin on top tier talent at the higher levels. I'm also hoping that the rumors that the Cubs want to talk with Theo, and that the Sox want compensation are true. I am also hoping that the speculation that the Sox could try and send John Lackey to the Cubs with Theo is a possibility and the Sox could get AL East vet Garza back in return.  Its also time to make a decision on Daniel Bards future. Either they think he can close and they need to give him the ball, or they need to start grooming him for a rotation spot. His talents are being wasted in the 7th and 8th innings which is usually reserved for also-rans (see Rays Bullpen).  They can try and teach him to pull it back on his fast ball to stretch him out in games, throwing 92-95 regularly and working to get more confident in his secondary pitches (Like Verlander).
    Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE]

My intent is not to start trouble but trade Lackey to the Cubs?  Are you nuts or do you think they are? 

Lackey has proven himself to be not only a poor pitcher but a personnel issue as well.  He's an expensive high maintenance underachiever.  I can't see him being attractive in any way to any team no matter what the cost.  And, in the event that Epstein went to the Cubs why would he touch Lackey?  Why would he willingly re-associate himself with perhaps his absolute worse, (assuming Crawford returns to form next year), FA signing?  If the cubs REALLY want Epstein perhaps they could be forced to take Lacke as a trade but I doubt that they want Lackey at all or Epstein that much.

Further, you are pretty much suggesting trading the entire rotation except Matuzaka.  Since the issue last year was pitching I don't see how that helps. 

From the outside looking in I don't think the RS need a complete overhaul which is good because the FA market is thin even if the RS were willing to spend.;

The RS scored pretty well this year so offensively all they really need to do is get a RFer with a decent bat.  Not a big splash, just serviceable.   Sign Ortiz to a contact that the RS can live with or let him go, make Youkilis the full time DH and sign a 3B. 

Pitching is more problematic but if Beckett stays healthy, Buchholz returns to form and Lester performs as expected that gives the RS three decent to very good starters and frankly that's more than most.  They will have to wait and see how Matuzaka comes back and put up with Lackey.  The real problem least year was the BP which was weak to begin with and then exposed when the starters faltered.  Papelbon is a complete jerk but he's also the best closer the RS ever had and the best one available this off season and he's also the key to the BP and he knows it.  Get ready for the RS to give him a great big four year contract.  Bard faltered at the end but is that because he was over used or does he rely too much on power.  Should he be coached to pitch smarter not harder?  Either way he should bounce back but he's clearly not ready to be the closer.  The RS have Aceves in the pen which is a huge asset and where he belongs.  He's had back issues, (which is why the Yankees didn't keep him), and I not so sure he can stand up to an entire season of starting.  Besides, it would leave a huge hole in the BP.  The rest is mix and match and frankly BP pitchers are always a risky proposition.  I think how they are used is much more important than their inherent skill.  Maybe Jenks comes back and has a decent year but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

I would let Scutaro walk and go with Ingelsies but a decent argument could be made for keeping Scutaro.  Regardless bring up the young SS.  Put Wakefield and Veritek out to pasture as it's time for new blood.   

A lot of the success or failure of the RS will depend on established players returning to form which not wishful thinking and can reasonably be expected.  It will also hinge on the managers and his coaches and the atmosphere in the clubhouse.   The begininng and the end of last season was pretty difficult and it'll be important to get players to understand that there is a change in direction without the acrimony.  Picking the right manager will be vital so DON'T hire Bobby Valentine. 

Problem solved, ... your welcome!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If They REALLY want to turn this TEAM around...... : Lavarnway? One game has made him a must keep? I dont know....
    Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE]  AS DAD WOULD SAY ........ "SON, THAT LAVARNWAY BOY, REMINDS BE A LOT OF A YOUNG CARLTON FISK, BOTH AT THE PLATE & BEHIND" !!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wbz41. Show wbz41's posts

I'd like to hook up with the mets and make a move to get bay back (possible RF?) and maybe even santana.  probably a dumb idea but it could be worth a flyer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If They REALLY want to turn this TEAM around...... :   AS DAD WOULD SAY ........ "SON, THAT LAVARNWAY BOY, REMINDS BE A LOT OF A YOUNG CARLTON FISK, BOTH AT THE PLATE & BEHIND" !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

OK, so Lavernway had one great night in Baltimore, followed by an 0-5 the next night when the manager was foolish enough to bat him 5th and immediately behind Gonzalez leaving Showalter with the easy decision to give AGON a free pass if there were any runners on base.

On top of that, he has been reported that his catching game is defensively lacking, but once again after a 2 game sample, this kid is the next Carlton Fisk...say what??

If anything, sadly the kid in NY is looking more like Fisk than Lavernway ever will. Although his defensive prowess is suspect too right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If They REALLY want to turn this TEAM around...... : OK, so Lavernway had one great night in Baltimore, followed by an 0-5 the next night when the manager was foolish enough to bat him 5th and immediately behind Gonzalez leaving Showalter with the easy decision to give AGON a free pass if there were any runners on base. On top of that, he has been reported that his catching game is defensively lacking, but once again after a 2 game sample, this kid is the next Carlton Fisk...say what?? If anything, sadly the kid in NY is looking more like Fisk than Lavernway ever will. Although his defensive prowess is suspect too right now.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

I agree....I think fans need to temper their expectations of this kid....many players have hit 30+ homers in the minors and never figure it out in the Majors.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

No one is going to trade for Lackey unless the Sox eat the majority of the money. He just is not that good a pitcher nor will he be for the Sox. He might do a little better in the NL.

I think Beckett should be shopped. He can't keep fit. He had a decent year, but still should be considered trade bait.

As should Bard unless they try him as a starter. He is not the Sox next closer. He just does not seem to have the mentality for it.

If the Sox are to get better, they have to offer up some decent talent.

Also, Papi needs to go. He act is done. Appreciate all the service, but really it is time to move forward. Get someone in the DH slot that can also play the field from time to time and run. His glory days are over.

I am not sold on Salty either. If another team asks, then he is trade bait as well.

It is house cleaning time.  Time to push out old washed up players and move some of the fan favorites perhaps if it means the team will get younger and hungrier again.

Sections
Shortcuts