If this kid Brentz doesn't stop hitting home runs----

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

If this kid Brentz doesn't stop hitting home runs----

Someone is going to sit up and take notice. Could he stick, and Bradley wind up in Pawtucket. This kid's improvement is hard and harder to ignore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: If this kid Brentz doesn't stop hitting home runs----

Keep your EYE on Brentz !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Someone is going to sit up and take notice. Could he stick, and Bradley wind up in Pawtucket. This kid's improvement is hard and harder to ignore.

Do you mean Bradley---( CoCo Crisp ) with less power- Jr......scary !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

No. Because Bradley is a Cfer.

They don't need help at the corner spots. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In any case, nice to see Bryce finally coming into his own.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

He hit 17 homers in 320 Ab's last year at Pawtucket. I don't think anyone has ever doubted his power.

The issue with him is plate discipline. He hits for a low average and doesn't walk much.

I think the Red sox would be more excited about him if he were drawing walks and hitting singles the opposite way than him hitting homers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Heard he has some holes in his swing.  If he can do it at the MLB level during the regular season he could be a guy....but he might be a replacement for Gomes who can play LF/RF....I don't see a starter in him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Heard he has some holes in his swing.  If he can do it at the MLB level during the regular season he could be a guy....but he might be a replacement for Gomes who can play LF/RF....I don't see a starter in him. 

I agree.  Brentz would be a perfect replacement for Gomes when he leaves.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

He hit 17 homers in 320 Ab's last year at Pawtucket. I don't think anyone has ever doubted his power.

The issue with him is plate discipline. He hits for a low average and doesn't walk much.

I think the Red sox would be more excited about him if he were drawing walks and hitting singles the opposite way than him hitting homers.

I would rather have him , than the MAN-RAM !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Bryce Brentz has an on-base percentage of .330 and a walk rate of 7.3 percent in 1,683 minor league plate appearances while Jonny Gomes had an OBP of .395 and a walk rate of 12.4 percent in 2,375 minor league plate appearances.

The 25-year-old Brentz has displayed power but is unlikely to match the effectiveness of Gomes at the plate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Brentz is a hard guy to figure out, he has hit great in every ST since 2011 even though the AB have been few.  He's 25 now and still struggles from one side of plate and overall with his OBP in AAA.  I'm not sure if Bryce is another Nava with more power, or someone who turns out to be a bit more. 

Alex Hassan is the same age but has done just the opposite in ST and in the minors so he may be the better bet due to consistency in games played and overall splits.

Time will tell!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Really?

That's numb.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Bryce Brentz has an on-base percentage of .330 and a walk rate of 7.3 percent in 1,683 minor league plate appearances while Jonny Gomes had an OBP of .395 and a walk rate of 12.4 percent in 2,375 minor league plate appearances.

The 25-year-old Brentz has displayed power but is unlikely to match the effectiveness of Gomes at the plate.

Perhaps, but I don't expect him to replace Gomes as a starter, I expect him to replace him his role on the roster.  Brentz probably has better power, but will have a lower OBP% and presumably OPS.  But what you lose in offense you gain in defense, Brentz is a much better fielder, and can field LF and RF.  While Gomes is a butcher in left field and in left field only, plus Brentz has a plus arm.

For someone who I don't think will ever be a starter, I think that is a fair trade off.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

How can you guys compare him with seasoned people like Gomes? He's a kid, for Pete's Sake. Think improvement! Plate discipline comes with experience. (Ask Big Papi!) I wonder how many temas have their eyes on this guy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Bryce is a nice little power hitting corner OF'r, as is Corey Brown who went deep today difference is Brown can play CF in fact he is the third option but if hhe keeps hitting like he has will force the Sox hand,Carp and Gomes have to look over their shoulders. Sizemore is hitting and is able to play CF without any aggrevation, so the pressure is actually on JBJ to generate some excitement.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How can you guys compare him with seasoned people like Gomes? He's a kid, for Pete's Sake. Think improvement! Plate discipline comes with experience. (Ask Big Papi!) I wonder how many temas have their eyes on this guy?

Who is comparing him to Gomes?  the only person who did was HILL, and I think he only did that because he mis-interprited my post.  Comparing those two is like comparing apples and oranges.  I don't think Brentz and Gomes are the same kind of player, but that doesn't mean that Brentz can't replace his spot on the roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Who is comparing him to Gomes?  the only person who did was HILL, and I think he only did that because he mis-interprited my post.  Comparing those two is like comparing apples and oranges.  I don't think Brentz and Gomes are the same kind of player, but that doesn't mean that Brentz can't replace his spot on the roster.

So true; but Nava is the left fielder. There's no way Gomes is anything but what he was (or less) last year. A PH and spot starter vs LH pitching. I see no reason why this new kid can't start off as a PH, and spot starter against LH pitchinmg. We are loaded with outfielders. Three are a serious injury away from fini. Be nice to have this kid learning the ropes, where the rest rooms are, listening in on conversations with this very nice group of veterans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Brentz is a hard guy to figure out, he has hit great in every ST since 2011 even though the AB have been few.  He's 25 now and still struggles from one side of plate and overall with his OBP in AAA.  I'm not sure if Bryce is another Nava with more power, or someone who turns out to be a bit more. 

Alex Hassan is the same age but has done just the opposite in ST and in the minors so he may be the better bet due to consistency in games played and overall splits.

Time will tell!

If he struggles from one side of the plate, that is not good.  Especially since he is not a switch hitter.

Hassan has no power and is a year older, but is a much better hitting prospect...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I actuallythink a 42yo Manny RAmirez would still be a better hitter than Brentz.  Maybe in a year or two that will change...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I actuallythink a 42yo Manny RAmirez would still be a better hitter than Brentz.  Maybe in a year or two that will change...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

You will NEVER see Ramirez in a MLB uniform again. He is done and no one wants him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Time will tell!

If he struggles from one side of the plate, that is not good.  Especially since he is not a switch hitter.

Hassan has no power and is a year older, but is a much better hitting prospect...

Sorry notin I didn't word it correctly.  All I meant was Hassan has much better splits against righties and lefties but I agree he also has less power.  I don't see anyone coming up in the next few years with power that could play daily in the OF.  This is an area I wish we could improve on long term through trade.  I miss having that "GO TO" guy in the OF like Lynn and/or Rice used to give us.  Papi isn't getting any younger and don't I see Nap as that kind of threat.

Maybe Bogy at some point but not Bradley either.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

At this point I'm not sure Alex Hassan is the better prospect.  Brentz was always ranked much higher, although recently Hassan has really closed the gap.

Brentz is better defensively, and has much more power.  He has some holes and will probably never have a great hit tool at the MLB level, nor will he walk.  But if he develops just enough paitents, and maybe that is just a little bit, just enough so his power transfers to that final level in the Majors then he is a better hitter than Hassan.

The way I look at it is like this.  Brentz still has a higher ceiling, but Hassan has a higher floor, and it's probably neck and neck who is the better prospect. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

At this point I'm not sure Alex Hassan is the better prospect.  Brentz was always ranked much higher, although recently Hassan has really closed the gap.

Brentz is better defensively, and has much more power.  He has some holes and will probably never have a great hit tool at the MLB level, nor will he walk.  But if he develops just enough paitents, and maybe that is just a little bit, just enough so his power transfers to that final level in the Majors then he is a better hitter than Hassan.

The way I look at it is like this.  Brentz still has a higher ceiling, but Hassan has a higher floor, and it's probably neck and neck who is the better prospect. 

Agreed hugh, either way we don't seem to have that real impact player in the wings, even Bradley is just a prospect at this point with little power.  It's an area we may need to trade for at some point because thats really where our farm lacks most.

Sections
Shortcuts