If this kid Brentz doesn't stop hitting home runs----

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: If this kid Brentz doesn't stop hitting home runs----

I admit I am pulling for Hassan to break through to Boston...not much power, true, but his batting line in the minors is quite Nava-esque.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

At this point I'm not sure Alex Hassan is the better prospect.  Brentz was always ranked much higher, although recently Hassan has really closed the gap.

Brentz is better defensively, and has much more power.  He has some holes and will probably never have a great hit tool at the MLB level, nor will he walk.  But if he develops just enough paitents, and maybe that is just a little bit, just enough so his power transfers to that final level in the Majors then he is a better hitter than Hassan.

The way I look at it is like this.  Brentz still has a higher ceiling, but Hassan has a higher floor, and it's probably neck and neck who is the better prospect. 

Agreed hugh, either way we don't seem to have that real impact player in the wings, even Bradley is just a prospect at this point with little power.  It's an area we may need to trade for at some point because thats really where our farm lacks most.

JBJ is the same situation.  He isn't replacing Ellsburys bat, only his glove (this comes without saying there is a growing possibility he starts in Pawtucket).

And I actually think Bradley will have more power than Ellsbury.  Ells hit over 9 HR's 1 time.....1 time.  I don't think Bradley will ever have a 30 HR season like Ells had, but I think he will constantly be a 12-15 guy with the instincts to rack up a few doubles as well.

Maybe not the same power potential as Ells had, but I think he has the potential to be more consistent. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Someone is going to sit up and take notice. Could he stick, and Bradley wind up in Pawtucket. This kid's improvement is hard and harder to ignore.

Brentz is a hard guy to figure out, he has hit great in every ST since 2011 even though the AB have been few.  He's 25 now and still struggles from one side of plate and overall with his OBP in AAA.  I'm not sure if Bryce is another Nava with more power, or someone who turns out to be a bit more. 

Alex Hassan is the same age but has done just the opposite in ST and in the minors so he may be the better bet due to consistency in games played and overall splits.

Time will tell!

If he struggles from one side of the plate, that is not good.  Especially since he is not a switch hitter.

Hassan has no power and is a year older, but is a much better hitting prospect...

Sorry notin I didn't word it correctly.  All I meant was Hassan has much better splits against righties and lefties but I agree he also has less power.  I don't see anyone coming up in the next few years with power that could play daily in the OF.  This is an area I wish we could improve on long term through trade.  I miss having that "GO TO" guy in the OF like Lynn and/or Rice used to give us.  Papi isn't getting any younger and don't I see Nap as that kind of threat.

Maybe Bogy at some point but not Bradley either.

It seemed an odd way to word it to me.

So far, it looks like the Sox “up the middle” draft strategy has not changed much, and Brentz remains the only corner player taken in the first two rounds since 2002.   This is the primary reason for the “void” of power-hitting corner infielders and outfielders In the system.   However, a big part of the reason this strategy does work is that the “up the middle” players are more easily moved to the corner spots.   Some recent examples include Middlebrooks, who was drafted as a shortstop, and I want to say Cecchini was as well.    

So it is very possible that the Sox do have a future slugging corner OF already in their system, he just isn’t playing that position yet.    I’ll throw one intriguing name out there based on nothing  – Blake Swihart.   After all, if Vazquez and/or Denney handle the catching in the future, why not move someone like Swihart to LF? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Someone is going to sit up and take notice. Could he stick, and Bradley wind up in Pawtucket. This kid's improvement is hard and harder to ignore.

Brentz is a hard guy to figure out, he has hit great in every ST since 2011 even though the AB have been few.  He's 25 now and still struggles from one side of plate and overall with his OBP in AAA.  I'm not sure if Bryce is another Nava with more power, or someone who turns out to be a bit more. 

Alex Hassan is the same age but has done just the opposite in ST and in the minors so he may be the better bet due to consistency in games played and overall splits.

Time will tell!

If he struggles from one side of the plate, that is not good.  Especially since he is not a switch hitter.

Hassan has no power and is a year older, but is a much better hitting prospect...

Sorry notin I didn't word it correctly.  All I meant was Hassan has much better splits against righties and lefties but I agree he also has less power.  I don't see anyone coming up in the next few years with power that could play daily in the OF.  This is an area I wish we could improve on long term through trade.  I miss having that "GO TO" guy in the OF like Lynn and/or Rice used to give us.  Papi isn't getting any younger and don't I see Nap as that kind of threat.

So far, it looks like the Sox “up the middle” draft strategy has not changed much, and Brentz remains the only corner player taken in the first two rounds since 2002.   This is the primary reason for the “void” of power-hitting corner infielders and outfielders In the system.   However, a big part of the reason this strategy does work is that the “up the middle” players are more easily moved to the corner spots.   Some recent examples include Middlebrooks, who was drafted as a shortstop, and I want to say Cecchini was as well.    

So it is very possible that the Sox do have a future slugging corner OF already in their system, he just isn’t playing that position yet.    I’ll throw one intriguing name out there based on nothing  – Blake Swihart.   After all, if Vazquez and/or Denney handle the catching in the future, why not move someone like Swihart to LF? 

Are we just talking about outfielders? because they draft a corner player in Vitek.  Maybe you forgot about him as every Sox person on earth who follows the prospects would like to forget about him.  Also was David Murphy a CFer?

But you are correct; drafting up the middle players is a huge part of the Sox draft strategy and player development strategy.

I still think a Swihart/Vazquez tandem is more likley behind the plate.  I think Denney will move to the outfield, but that probably won't be for a few years.  Swiharts athleticism would be wasted in LF, reportedly he has the tools to play 2nd and is a higher regarded prospect at the position than Vazquez.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

oN THE ROAD TO pawtucket R I   !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Time will tell!

Are we just talking about outfielders? because they draft a corner player in Vitek.  Maybe you forgot about him as every Sox person on earth who follows the prospects would like to forget about him.  Also was David Murphy a CFer?

But you are correct; drafting up the middle players is a huge part of the Sox draft strategy and player development strategy.

I still think a Swihart/Vazquez tandem is more likley behind the plate.  I think Denney will move to the outfield, but that probably won't be for a few years.  Swiharts athleticism would be wasted in LF, reportedly he has the tools to play 2nd and is a higher regarded prospect at the position than Vazquez.

I did not forget Kolbrin Vitek, who was drafted after playing second base at Ball State.  The Sox immediately moved him to 3B, and will probably move him to the OF at some point if they keep him at all.  He fits what I am saying  perfectly, as he is another “up the middle” player who they moved to the corner.    Soxprosepcts.com lists him as a 3B in their Draft History, but he played 2B in college, so I can see the confusion about him.   Murphy was a CF when he was drafted, and played most of his minor league and Red Sox career in CF.  He did not move exclusively to LF until he got to Texas.   He is another good example.   Really, if you look at the last draft history going back to 2004, the only guy taken in the first two rounds who played a corner position when he was drafted was Brentz and Hunter Morris, who was a 3B but did not sign. Everyone else played 2B, SS, CF, C or P.  Everyone.   In 2003, the Sox did take Matt Murton with their supplemental pick, but since then, not much for corner players in the draft.

Swihart was a shot in the dark, hypothetical example.   They probably won’t move him, but we all know they will move someone to one of the corner positions.  I could have used Denney just as easily, and even thought about it, but decided to go with the player who was further along.  I was looking for an example that no one would have thought of moving, someone plausible, irrespective of whether or not it was actually likely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Time will tell!

I did not forget Kolbrin Vitek, who was drafted after playing second base at Ball State.  The Sox immediately moved him to 3B, and will probably move him to the OF at some point if they keep him at all.  He fits what I am saying  perfectly, as he is another “up the middle” player who they moved to the corner.    Soxprosepcts.com lists him as a 3B in their Draft History, but he played 2B in college, so I can see the confusion about him.   Murphy was a CF when he was drafted, and played most of his minor league and Red Sox career in CF.  He did not move exclusively to LF until he got to Texas.   He is another good example.   Really, if you look at the last draft history going back to 2004, the only guy taken in the first two rounds who played a corner position when he was drafted was Brentz and Hunter Morris, who was a 3B but did not sign. Everyone else played 2B, SS, CF, C or P.  Everyone.   In 2003, the Sox did take Matt Murton with their supplemental pick, but since then, not much for corner players in the draft.

Swihart was a shot in the dark, hypothetical example.   They probably won’t move him, but we all know they will move someone to one of the corner positions.  I could have used Denney just as easily, and even thought about it, but decided to go with the player who was further along.  I was looking for an example that no one would have thought of moving, someone plausible, irrespective of whether or not it was actually likely.

I actually remember that now (Vitek) but I had no memory of Murphy.  Regardless, I agreed with the premise that the Sox focus heavily on drafting up the middle talent.  Actually that's not anything to agree on, that's IS what they have done.  

I understand the moving of Swihart because outfield is thin,  But in terms of MLB ready talent our catching tandem is pretty thin as well.  Vasquez is there but that is it,  and he has projected as a plus defensive backup.  However Vasquez has slowly seen his stock rise with continued offensive production and I'm very high on him as well.  But even then that's just one guy, and Swihart is more talented and not too far behind him.

In the end, I think it comes down to the Sox being much more comfortable going out and filling in the outfield with a player or two as opposed to bringing in someone to catch.  because if they did move Swihart, they would have to bring in another catcher to either backup or lead Vasquez. 

I think Denney has the potential in his bat to move to the outfield, but I also think he is far enough away that the Sox are going to develop him as a catcher.  By the time he is pushing his way into the majors Vasquez will probably be a year or so away from FA anyways and I doubt the Sox lock both him and Swihart up (unless of course Swihart did move off position) but it will be interesting to see how things progress in the coming years. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

oN THE ROAD TO pawtucket R I   !!!!

[/QUOTE

Not a bad place to be.  Quite a few players from there got time in fenway last season, thus qualifying them for a nice ring.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

Roster

Have any cuts been made yet? I haven't read of any myself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to practial's comment:

Have any cuts been made yet? I haven't read of any myself.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2014/03/owens-cecchini-among-12-players-cut.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

So it is very possible that the Sox do have a future slugging corner OF already in their system, he just isn’t playing that position yet. 

I actually see a bunch of possible LF-RF-1st base possibilities from the Red Sox top 20 prospects. Just not too many slugging types.

I can see JBJ being Victorino's replacement if we found a better CF. Defensively they are very similar. And I see JBJ having a better career bat then Victorino will have the next two seasons. JBJ would fit very well in RF long term  in Fenway.

I have always looked at Cecchini as a Alex Gordon clone. Although Cecchini's defense this spring looks better to me and he might be able to stay at 3rd.

I see either Hassan or Brentz as probable platoon mates in LF with Nava, similar to Gomez-Nava. And I believe Brentz could platoon in RF aswell as he is a bit better on defense then some think. Hassan could also platoon at 1st base. Although neither fit as platoon mates with Nap-Vic because they are both righties aswell. But 3 years from now that could be their role.

Devers bat could possibly play at 1st, DH or in LF.

And although no longer a prospect, I wouldn't rule out Middlebrooks at 1st or LF down the road. He could be a corner OF slugger.

Thats 6 of our top 20 type prospects, 5 of whom could be ready by next year. And with Napoli, Victorino and soon probably Papi signed for 2 more years and Nava and Carp under control for 3-4 years, who needs a LF-RF-1st base-DH slugger? All we will need the next 2 years will be a Gomes replacement for next year. Brentz or Hassan will be very good in that limited role I think.

This doesn't even consider trade or FA signings. The Sox will have a ton of money to play with over time. Also, I am a fan of Henry Ramos and Travis Shaw and wouldn't rule them out as possibilities.

As for future great hitting sluggers in the system I don't think we have that unless Bogaerts or Devers becomes that. However, since power often comes last, all of these guys will have more power then they currently have, except probably Brentz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Guys in our system (or recently graduated) who I think have a good chance of showing power at the MLB level.  As starters or effective platoon players.

Will Middlebrooks

Xander Bogaerts

Bryce Brentz (definitely don't see a starter in him, not on this team at least) 

Raphael Devers

Guys who fit the same criteria but I think either have much more to work on or are just too raw.  But these guys have good power potential.

Sean Coyle

Nick Longhi

Jon Denney

Victor Acosta 

Michael Almanzar (if he doesn't stick with the Orioles) 

Guys who I think have good raw power but probably don't have the hit tool or the bat speed to ever show anything at the MLB level.

David Chester

Travis Shaw

I was tempted to put Cecchini on this list.  Some think he will hit for power, or develop average power.  From what I hear and what I've seen his swing is just too level to hit any long balls.  I think he is 10-12 guy at best, and he doesn't appear willing to add some loft to his swing (which would sacrifice his AVG) but who knows. 

There are many other guys who I think have HUGE ceiling that have some good pop but I don't see them being +20 guys....maybe more in the 15-20 HR range.  Guys like:

Mookie Betts

Blake Swihart

Christian Vasquez

Manuel Margot. 

Considering how there is a huge power outage all over baseball, I don't think our system is that devoid of power and power potential at all. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Guys in our system (or recently graduated) who I think have a good chance of showing power at the MLB level.  As starters or effective platoon players.

Will Middlebrooks

Xander Bogaerts

Raphael Devers

Guys who fit the same criteria but I think either have much more to work on or are just too raw.  But these guys have good power potential.

Sean Coyle

Nick Longhi

Jon Denney

Victor Acosta 

Guys who I think have good raw power but probably don't have the hit tool or the bat speed to ever show anything at the MLB level.

David Chester

Travis Shaw

I was tempted to put Cecchini on this list.  Some think he will hit for power, or develop average power.  From what I hear and what I've seen his swing is just too level to hit any long balls.  I think he is 10-12 guy at best, and he doesn't appear willing to add some loft to his swing (which would sacrifice his AVG) but who knows. 

There are many other guys who I think have HUGE ceiling that have some good pop but I don't see them being +20 guys....maybe more in the 15-20 HR range.  Guys like:

Mookie Betts

Blake Swihart

Christian Vasquez

Manuel Margot. 

Considering how there is a huge power outage all over baseball, I don't think our system is that devoid of power and power potential at all. 

I was just noticing yesterday that Almanzar had a .991 OPS and thinking he might not be coming back. But today he went 0-4 and is down to .833[SSS for ya]. But he does have a 3-3 K/BB rate. He is doing well.

As for power, it would not shock me if the best power guy on your bottom list is Betts. I could see 20 homer power from him with lots and lots of 2b's and 3b's. For a 2nd baseman, he could end up being a top 2-3 slugger.

But I agree, in todays game and considering that most of these guys power will improve, I am good with our power potential.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Will Middlebrooks

Xander Bogaerts

Raphael Devers

Sean Coyle

Nick Longhi

Jon Denney

Victor Acosta 

David Chester

Travis Shaw

Mookie Betts

Blake Swihart

Christian Vasquez

Manuel Margot. 

I was just noticing yesterday that Almanzar had a .991 OPS and thinking he might not be coming back. But today he went 0-4 and is down to .833[SSS for ya]. But he does have a 3-3 K/BB rate. He is doing well.

As for power, it would not shock me if the best power guy on your bottom list is Betts. I could see 20 homer power from him with lots and lots of 2b's and 3b's. For a 2nd baseman, he could end up being a top 2-3 slugger.

But I agree, in todays game and considering that most of these guys power will improve, I am good with our power potential.

Betts is listed at 5'9 160# He's small but he doesn't look like a twig either.  I can see him having Pedey-esq power; surprising pop in a small package. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

Betts is listed at 5'9 160# He's small but he doesn't look like a twig either.  I can see him having Pedey-esq power; surprising pop in a small package. 

[/QUOTE]

I am dreaming of a slightly weaker version of Andrew McCutchen only playing at 2nd base. A guy can dream.

Sections
Shortcuts