If we can take away one thing form this season, I hope it's....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

If we can take away one thing form this season, I hope it's....

That every single game is important.  Game #8 has as much weight as game #162.  I hope Francona or his replacement learns, moving forward, that you manage to win every game. 

Winners don't play to save the Pen for tomorrow. 
    Winners don't give 20 something's days off from the least strenuous professional sport.
    Winners manage as if their life depended on the outcome of every game.
    Winners always put their best players on the field and don't let the pitcher dictate who's in the lineup.

.......just saying.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: If we can take away one thing form this season, I hope it's....

The Red Sox posted winning percentages of .655 in May, .640 in June and a scary .769 in July.  And then in August it fell to .587 and to .259 in September.

From May 1 to August 14, they posted a winning percentage of 663.  From August 15 to the end of the season, they posted a winning percentage of .395

Do you think if they rested a few more players in June and July and settled for winning percentages in the low 600 for those 2 months they would have been in better physical shape to play in September?

They lost 6 games in July.  2 months later, they lost 20.  Do you think if they had taken their foot off the gas and settled for 10 loses in July maybe they would have had only 10 losses in September which would have put them into ...... The post season.

If anything, the lesson is to better pace themselves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Every team rests its players:

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia 103 games, Russell Martin 125, Kelly Shoppach 87
    1B Adrian Gonzalez 159, Mark Teixeira 156, Casey Kotchman 146
    2B Dustin Pedroia 159, Robinson Cano 159, Ben Zobrist 156
    SS Marco Scutaro 113, Derek Jeter 131, Reid Brignac 92
    3B Kevin Youkilis 120, Alex Rodriguez 99, Evan Longoria 133
    LF Carl Crawford 130, Brett Gardner 159, Sam Fuld 105
    CF Jacoby Elllsbury 158, Curtis Granderson 156, B.J. Upton 153
    RF J.D. Drew 81, Josh Reddick 87, Nick Swisher 150, Matt Joyce 141
    DH David Ortiz 146, Jorge Posada 115, Johnny Damon 150

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

AGON is coming off shoulder surgery.
    Scut was suffering from an injury.
    Youk was suffering from an injury.

When a team is winning 70% of their games, it means that they are playing at a very high level.  It's not good to win 70% of the games in July and 20% in September.  It's better to win 60% in July and 60% in September. 

How many games did tex play DH or PH.  AGON started all but 5 games.

Tex had 589 at bats - Gonzo had 635
    Tex started 143 games, Gonz started 157
    Cano started 150 games, Pedroia started 158.

Ells played in 152 games the fewest of the regular position players that didn't have injuries and he seemed to have more gas in the tank that Pedroia or Gonzo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Pace themselves?  How about staying in shape over the course of the season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"The Red Sox posted winning percentages of .655 in May, .640 in June and a scary .769 in July. And then in August it fell to .587 and to .259 in September.

From May 1 to August 14, they posted a winning percentage of 663. From August 15 to the end of the season, they posted a winning percentage of .395

Do you think if they rested a few more players in June and July and settled for winning percentages in the low 600 for those 2 months they would have been in better physical shape to play in September?

They lost 6 games in July. 2 months later, they lost 20. Do you think if they had taken their foot off the gas and settled for 10 loses in July maybe they would have had only 10 losses in September which would have put them into ...... The post season.

If anything, the lesson is to better pace themselves."

This my friend is why the Great BB coined the phrase "stats are for losers"
    plus you left off April.  I don't think pacing themselves in Spring Training would of helped in April.

Sorry but I watched Francona Manage at least 7 wins into losses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

If we can take one thing from this season let it be to never see the Sox get overhyped and overrated again.      This team got blown way out of proportion to the point that the players thought it would be like going on a cruise to the Caribbean.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

If I could take one thing out of this season it would be _ Carl Crawford

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: If we can take away one thing form this season, I hope it's....:
    [QUOTE]Pace themselves?  How about staying in shape over the course of the season?
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

Agreed !  This has been mentioned many times on this site and I definitely agree with you.  This teams conditioning was definitely a problem this season.  You can place some of the blame on the trainers/medical staff, but  most of the blame lies with the players.  For professional athletes to excel in any sport they have to be concerned with staying in shape for the entire year, not just for the season that they play. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to If we can take away one thing form this season, I hope it's....:
    [QUOTE]That every single game is important.  Game #8 has as much weight as game #162.  I hope Francona or his replacement learns, moving forward, that you manage to win every game.  Winners don't play to save the Pen for tomorrow.  Winners don't give 20 something's days off from the least strenuous professional sport. Winners manage as if their life depended on the outcome of every game. Winners always put their best players on the field and don't let the pitcher dictate who's in the lineup. .......just saying.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

hmmm,

What do Boston and Atlanta have in common....yup both lost 10 game leads in the last month, what even scarier is that both also lost 2/5th of their opening day starting rotation due to injury...and even funnier in a bad way, both had a veteran starter that under performed all year...And pray tell their once mighty pen blew a gasket from being over worked all year in the month of September and both closers blew 3-2 leads in the 9th of a must win game...

The shame they all should feel for not wanting to win every game...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

Well, more than one thing....

• Need better conditioning - too many bodies breaking down too often
    • Medical staff needs re-evaluating
    • Need to improve fundamentals - too many baserunners getting thrown out
    • Have a sense of urgency and approach every game to win - players and coaches
    • Take responsibility, and be accountable for actions - don't blame third-parties like God

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

The Red Sox were over rated. (period) On paper the starting rotation looked good....not great. The team didn't have a real number one starter. The team didn't have a RH power/RBI bat in the lineup. The team was very average on the left side of the infield. The lineup lacked balance (too many LH bats).
    Most importantly, the team started the season with six of Theo's free agents that took up roster space.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gopats1976. Show gopats1976's posts

What about giving teams a 0-0 record after 81 games? Some minor leagues have split season.

I'd like to see them use the minor league 7 inning rule for Double Header's, too.

The rule from NHL and NFL about listing 25 active players for a game after rosters expand should also be looked into.

Sections
Shortcuts