If we have Ortiz in 2013 do we make the play-offs ????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: If we have Ortiz in 2013 do we make the play-offs ????

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Clearly some of you need help. Ortiz with his -30 homers and -100 ribbies won't help the 2013 team get any higher than 4th place. He is not a savior, not the answer. 

We dont need him.

He cannot help.

What is the point of finishing 3rd over 4th? There isn't one !!!!!

Wake up schmucks!

[/QUOTE]

There is no harm in bringing Ortiz back for one year as long as the rest of what needs to be done is also getting done. The focus should be on 2014 and beyond. Whether Ortiz is back next year is unimportant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Agreed!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

..... ugh

[/QUOTE]

Still no suggestions for a replacement?

I'm stunned! Really!

[/QUOTE]

Replacement? Anyone of the fielders can fill the slot.... you keep it up dummy with your brainless zombie posts

[/QUOTE]

Ah, the Yankee approach.  Which works fine if you have hitters like Jeter, ARod, Texiera, Granderson, etc. that you can rotate through the slot.

I don't see the Sox having the number of hitters to rotate through to use it that way.

I would certainly go year to year with him, or possibly a year with a club option for a second year.  No long term deal though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Agreed!

[/QUOTE]

What needs to be avoided is a contract longer than one year. If he is not producing then I would not want him to be a drag on our chances for the playoffs in 2014. A one year contract is the absolute maximum he should get, no matter how much "respect" he thinks he deserves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whether or not we make the playoffs in 2013 David Ortiz has long since earned the right to retire in a Red Sox uni. Not bringing back Papi would send a terrible message to any players who would potentially be interested in playing for the Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you about Ortiz retiring with the Red Sox.  It would be a shame if he wasn't resigned. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agreed!

[/QUOTE]

What needs to be avoided is a contract longer than one year. If he is not producing then I would not want him to be a drag on our chances for the playoffs in 2014. A one year contract is the absolute maximum he should get, no matter how much "respect" he thinks he deserves.

[/QUOTE]

Again, Agreed !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Sure, if we get Matt Cain and, maybe, one other starting pitcher of that quality! It's ALL about starting pitchers.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The OP applies to every single player on the team.  It would even apply to Felix Hernandez if the Sox were to get him.  Ortiz had easily the best OPS on the team this year, and, while he was healthy and AGon was knocking in runs, etc, the Sox were still under .500.  Why?  Because the pitching stunk.   

In 2004 the Sox won 95 or so games and then the WS largely because of great hitting plus Schilling.  Manny and Ortiz were pretty darn important, but the Sox really had no holes in that lineup, which only scored the most runs of any team in MLB. 

MLB more than any other major sport relies on a lot of different players. 

Ortiz is hands down the best DH in MLB and the best hitting on this team if he can stay healthy.  The Sox need him, Ross, and at least one new, very good bat to have a good offense in 2013.  And one new good arm for the rotation.  Plus Pedroia, Ells, Middlebrooks, etc need to stay healthy and hit well. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Since being anointed The Best Team Ever in March 2011, the Red Sox have been stripped of considerable talent: Adrian Gonzalez, Jonathan Papelbon, Kevin Youkilis, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, Marco Scutaro, J.D. Drew, Jason Varitek, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Mike Cameron, Tim Wakefield, Bobby Jenks and now potentially David Ortiz.

As Enchilada suggests, the Sox may need much more than David Ortiz to contend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

One piece is never the savior however this offense needs to be put back together. Having Ortiz just means one less hole to fill. The same for Ross.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]

Clearly some of you need help. Ortiz with his -30 homers and -100 ribbies won't help the 2013 team get any higher than 4th place. He is not a savior, not the answer. 

We dont need him.

He cannot help.

----------------------------

Wow,just WOW.

What is the point of finishing 3rd over 4th? There isn't one !!!!!

Wake up schmucks!

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

if he = 4th to 3rd and move II = 3rd to 2nd and move 3 = 2nd to first.....yeah......oh wait...nevermind......whats the point?  enchilado doesnt think 3rd over 4th is worthy....lets stop trying.  play all rookies and no names.  good idea.   count me in.  <sarc>

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

It's about money.  Don't overpay for him, but if you get him for a decent price keep him.

I don't care if he ends his career here or not, but he still is a good Dh and always has been.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's about money.  Don't overpay for him, but if you get him for a decent price keep him.

I don't care if he ends his career here or not, but he still is a good Dh and always has been.

[/QUOTE]

He's not going anywhere and the deal might even be done before November 1st. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I am too old to be writing off a year. Sox should make every effort to contend in 2013.  That would include signing Ortiz and making a splash in the free agent market. A top notch pitcher or two would be nice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how is papi going to get us into the playoffs next year if he couldnt the past 3 years?  the only way he could i guess if he is traded for a good starter,,,then yea, maybe

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Everyone likes him, time to move on though

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am too old to be writing off a year. Sox should make every effort to contend in 2013.  That would include signing Ortiz and making a splash in the free agent market. A top notch pitcher or two would be nice.

[/QUOTE]

Haha...exactly.  The Sox WILL put together a team this offseason that should be expected to compete next year.  I wouldn't trade rosters with Oakland or Baltimore right now, and they are still playing.  They have a good enough core that if they make a few solid moves and avoid a ridiculous amount of injuries, they'll be competitive. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well personally, I didn't enjoy watching the Sox offense in August-September too much.  I liked it better when Ortiz was in the lineup and we were doing that 'scoring runs' thing.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I don't really care if they re-sign him but the simple fact is that if David is your only power threat you are up poo-poo creek.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha...exactly.  The Sox WILL put together a team this offseason that should be expected to compete next year.  I wouldn't trade rosters with Oakland or Baltimore right now, and they are still playing.  They have a good enough core that if they make a few solid moves and avoid a ridiculous amount of injuries, they'll be competitive. 

[/QUOTE]

Papi is just one piece to the puzzle. The Sox' offense was obviously non-existent without papi, WMB an ailing Pedroia and Ells.

Not one man in MLB wins games for a team. 25+ guys during a season. This team doesnt need the DH spot to rest guys like the NYY. Papi is still capable of 30HR and 100RBI. I would take his 29HR and 96 RBI like he had in 2011, or the 28HR and 98 RBI he had in 2009. 1 yr deal with a vesting option for games played...

We could use another arm this winter. And Ill add that they need Lester to pitch like he has the 4 years prior to 2012 and Buch to finally give us 200+ IP (which he almost did this year/189.1). Doubront showed me something after hitting a bit of a wall, taking a rest and then finishing the year very strong. Dont sleep on Lackey either. If he can give us one of his 14-10 seasons with 200IP and an ERA around 3.80 like he used to do before the arm thing started up a couple years ago, Ill take that from my 4-5 pitcher.

If anyone thinks that this ownership isnt going to re-sign and obtain players this winter, think again. They expect, like the fans do, to be competitive in 2013 and Papi WILL be part of it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't really care if they re-sign him but the simple fact is that if David is your only power threat you are up poo-poo creek.

[/QUOTE]

I don't believe even you know what your point is...