If we wanted to compete for the playoffs NEXT YEAR, what would we have to do ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

If we wanted to compete for the playoffs NEXT YEAR, what would we have to do ?

The way I see it, There,s only 2 ways to go. Make moves in the off season to try to make the playoffs nxt yr, or go into total rebuild mode and shoot for 2014 and beyond. There,s alot of diff opiniond here on the board, and most of it is good thought out stuff. I,m of the belief that we should go into total rebuild mode, trade Ells, Lester, maybe Salty and others to bring back prospects and only sign/trade for players that will be able to contribute in 14/15/and 16. Sign players to 1 yr deals to bridge the gap for 2014. BUT.....that being said, we could, if we wanted to, go out and make some moves that may get us into the playoffs nxt yr, though imo prob hurt us in 2014 and beyond. So......here,s what I would do to make the playoffs nxt yr.....the rest of you, have at it

#1  sign zack Greinke

#2 trade for J Morneau

#3 resign David Ortiz ( only for 1 yr pls )

#4 resign C Ross  ( def no more than 2 yrs )

#5 Trade for A Soriano ( a salary dump only, giving up c level prospects )

Those 5 moves I believe would put us in the hunt for a wild card berth if things fall right for us, and wouldn,t totally cripple the future. A line up of

Ells

Pedey

Papi

Soriano

Morneau

Middlebrooks

Ross/Kalish

Salty/Lava

Iggy/Ciriaco

and a rotation of

Greinke

Buch

Lester

Doubront

Lackey           With De La Rosa and Tazawa at pawt getting stretched and ready

Our payroll would sit at about 140/150m with the ability to shave off 60m or after 2013 at which time Boggy, Barnes, JB jr, webster, De La Rosa, etc will be more ready to step in....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: If we wanted to compete for the playoffs NEXT YEAR, what would we have to do ?

In response to makonikyman's comment:

The way I see it, There,s only 2 ways to go. Make moves in the off season to try to make the playoffs nxt yr, or go into total rebuild mode and shoot for 2014 and beyond. There,s alot of diff opiniond here on the board, and most of it is good thought out stuff. I,m of the belief that we should go into total rebuild mode, trade Ells, Lester, maybe Salty and others to bring back prospects and only sign/trade for players that will be able to contribute in 14/15/and 16. Sign players to 1 yr deals to bridge the gap for 2014. BUT.....that being said, we could, if we wanted to, go out and make some moves that may get us into the playoffs nxt yr, though imo prob hurt us in 2014 and beyond. So......here,s what I would do to make the playoffs nxt yr.....the rest of you, have at it

#1  sign zack Greinke

#2 trade for J Morneau

#3 resign David Ortiz ( only for 1 yr pls )

#4 resign C Ross  ( def no more than 2 yrs )

#5 Trade for A Soriano ( a salary dump only, giving up c level prospects )

Those 5 moves I believe would put us in the hunt for a wild card berth if things fall right for us, and wouldn,t totally cripple the future. A line up of

Ells

Pedey

Papi

Soriano

Morneau

Middlebrooks

Ross/Kalish

Salty/Lava

Iggy/Ciriaco

and a rotation of

Greinke

Buch

Lester

Doubront

Lackey           With De La Rosa and Tazawa at pawt getting stretched and ready

Our payroll would sit at about 140/150m with the ability to shave off 60m or after 2013 at which time Boggy, Barnes, JB jr, webster, De La Rosa, etc will be more ready to step in....

Since this Front Office will not go into full blown "rebuild mode,"  they will put together a team this off-season that should be a playoff caliber club "on paper."  There is a solid nucleus to build on, so they don't need to completely rebuild.  There are no guarantees with prospects, either, so it is highly unlikely that all of sudden they'll have 5 or 6 kids ready to jump to the Majors in 2014. 

I won't even speculate as to what moves they'll make this offseason, because it could go so many different ways, but I AM sure that they aren't treating next year as some kind of  "bridge year" as so many seem to think for some reason. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: If we wanted to compete for the playoffs NEXT YEAR, what would we have to do ?

If Buchholz comes back in the spring like he is right now the team could be pretty good. Lester and Buchholz figure to give the Sox two pretty good #2 starters so all we need is a stud at the top of the rotation. Right now it appears to me that the plan is to stockpile young arms and hope one of them catches fire. They did pick up a couple of decent arms from the Dodgers in the big trade, but I don't know if I'd want to count on them at the top of the rotation. Perhaps another trade is in the works. I wonder if we could get Johnny Cueto from the Reds for Ellsbury, both of the pitchers we got from the Dodgers and Matt Barnes? Anyway, provided we could come up with a TOR starter, we'd have our ace, Lester, Buchholz, and Lackey in the rotation with auditions probably going to Aceves, Doubront, Tazawa, Morales and possibly one of DeLaRosa and Webster. We could also look at someone like Brandon McCarthy in the rotation. Our bullpen is actually pretty stacked and you might see some trades coming from this area. Between Miller, Tazawa, Aceves, Mortenson, possibly Bard and Bailey the Sox have some very solid arms in the bullpen, and they're mostly pretty young.

A bigger question than maybe the rotation going into the offseason has to be the manager's chair. I know we had injuries and a lot of them. But when your whole team just doesn't show up to play some nights, you have to at least glance in the direction of the manager. And when you look that way the view isn't good. I don't think there is any way you can credibly argue that Bobby Valentine has been anything but a disaster as the manager. He only started out his tenure by alienating the two most team first guys on his ballclub in Youk and Pedey. And it's been all downhill from there. In a way watching BV run the Boston Red Sox has been fascinating, kind of like watching watching a train wreck in slow motion. Bobby has not been a good manager for the Red Sox and the number one job for Ben Cherington is to find the right guy for that job. My report card for Ben Cherington starts with that. My personal choice for the job would be Arnie Beyeler, and I would hope that he would get to bring his staff from Pawtucket with him. By the end of the year his team was literally composed im AAA subs and scraps, yet he had that team in a one game playoff for the triple A championship. Granted the PawSox got pounded, but that's not the point. The point is that Beyeler can clearly relate to and more importantly motivate his players. Oh and the reason I mentioned his staff is that his pitching coach, Rich Sauveur is the genius that turned around Andrew Miller among others.

On to the offense, it looks like we'll be bringing back Cody Ross for a couple of years. But we do have some pretty big questions here. The guys who will definitely be here IMO are Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Iglesias, Lavarnaway, Saltalamacchia, Kalish, Ciriaco and I guess Sweeney, not that I'm necessarily all that happy about Sweeney being back. The guys who we could be looking at in spring training are Brentz, Linares, Aviles, Gomez, Nava and hopefully Bradley and Bogaerts. I also think David Ortiz will be back. Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I think the big man will retire with the Red Sox. So we could have a nightly lineup featuring Ellsbury (Bradley), Pedroia, Ortiz, Ross, Middlebrooks and a catcher with some pop. That's at least as deep a lineup as most teams have. We could well see Xander Bogaerts in Boston during the coming season and if he comes up to stay he makes our lineup even deeper because he's our cleanup hitter behind David. We could also go after a big free agent this offseason, with Josh Hamilton already being mentioned prominently by the press, but I can't see Ben going after anyone that's going to need more than a 3 year contract. Maybe I'm being overly hopeful though. Seriously though, I don't you'll see the Red Sox being major players in the free agent marketplace this year. What they should and hopefully will do is wait until after Christmas and see who's still out there, there's bound to be a Mike Napoli type player out there that we could get cheap. As far as the big names out there like Greinke and Hamilton, I just don't see anyone who looks like enough of a difference maker to make the kind of long term commitment we would need to sign such a high profile free agent. They certainly don't look like Manny and Pedro if you know what I mean.

I guess this has been kind of a long rambling response. Posting while stoned. :) But to sum up my thoughts today, can the Sox contend in 2013? Yes. It all starts with finding the right manager. Selling the farm for Johnny Cueto might be a good idea too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

carnie, I don't think the bullpen will be good with Aceves, Miller and Mortensen.

Breslow and Tazawa been the most consistent relievers. Baily has some rust to work out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why Soriano? Why give anything for him? I'd rather have Nava/Kalish/Brentz/Linares than him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Mt200's comment:

carnie, I don't think the bullpen will be good with Aceves, Miller and Mortensen.

Breslow and Tazawa been the most consistent relievers. Baily has some rust to work out.

The best thing you can say about middle relievers are that they are consistently inconsistent.  Regardless of how next season plays out, the bullpen in April will likely be very different than the one that finishes the season.  Trying to predict what relievers will be the most effective next year is next to impossible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I would have traded Crawford foe Soriano. He might just turn into another Ross at Fenway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I would have traded Crawford foe Soriano. He might just turn into another Ross at Fenway.

I would have too, in order to shed the massive contract for a lesser one, but there is no point to adding Soriano's salary. I'd rather pay a little more for some high-priced FA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

The best thing you can say about middle relievers are that they are consistently inconsistent.  Regardless of how next season plays out, the bullpen in April will likely be very different than the one that finishes the season.  Trying to predict what relievers will be the most effective next year is next to impossible.

It's not like those guys have a track record of being good. Miller was a journeyman, Mortensen is a mop up reliever that throws 99% offspeed pitches, Aceves is getting blown up everytime.

The starters need to improve for the bullpen to settled in. The relievers been far often exposed and they never been able to handled the pressure. Padilla was pretty washed up and he's been almost useless the last 2 month.

Bard need to find himself again. If he does, he makes a good BP consist of Tazawa, Breslow and Bailey.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Soriano might be a decent short term solution in left, especially if someone overpays Cody Ross .  He's quietly having a slid season for a bad team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

It's not like those guys have a track record of being good. Miller was a journeyman, Mortensen is a mop up reliever that throws 99% offspeed pitches, Aceves is getting blown up everytime.

The starters need to improve for the bullpen to settled in. The relievers been far often exposed and they never been able to handled the pressure. Padilla was pretty washed up and he's been almost useless the last 2 month.

Bard need to find himself again. If he does, he makes a good BP consist of Tazawa, Breslow and Bailey.

Padilla was lights out for a while this year, but clearly fizzled.  Again, middle relief pitching is such a crap shoot that the idea is to throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see what sticks.  It will change throughout the year.  Do NOT give a multi year deal to a reliever. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I'd take on Alfanso if the Cubs ate 70% of the contract. I'd love it actually. He comes back over to the AL East, playing in hitters ball parks, and he gets to stick to the Yankees for a couple seasons. Then if we don't bring back Ortiz then we DH Soriano at away ball parks, and let him play Left in Fenway. That way at home players get to get some rest while DHing, and then when away Alfanso gets to rest while DHing. However like I said that would have to be with the Red Sox paying something like 10 million a year for him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Which high priced free agent though? It would need to be someone we could get for 3 years or less. Peavy might make some sense if we  could get him on a one year deal. Even at a high salary. Actually Alex Speier I think was saying that signing Jake for one year at say $25M would actually be good for the Red Sox because it would keep Ben and Larry away from any 4 or 5 year deals this offseason. If Ben had great big brass balls he would call Walt Jocketty and see what it would take besides Ellsbury to get Johnny Cueto, but I think we're of like mind on that one. If it were me I'd go to Ellsbury and any 4 minor leaguers not named Bradley or Bogaerts. Maybe 5. And not that I'm advocating trading for Soriano either, unless we could spin Lackey for him. As you probably know I want to see Linares in the Boston outfield next year. I'd also like to see what a healthy major league season would look like for Ryan Kalish. He seems to be pretty athletic, and I seem to remember him having a better arm than Ellsbury. But the OP was talking about something like de la Cruz for Soriano, and that's kind of why you have backup outfielders in Salem. So I wouldn't have a problem with de la Cruz or even de la Cruz and Jacobs for Soriano. Because if Soriano were to come to Fenway and all of a sudden start looking like the second coming of Jim Rice (doubtful I know) you could spin him off at the deadline for some contender's top two pitching prospects. Provided of course Bradley and Bogaerts are still hitting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do not think we should not go all out to win, but since you asked how we might be able to best position ourselves to seriously compete in 2013, I'd offer this idea, assuming we must stay under the luxury tax limit...

1) Sign  Hamilton to $125M/5 yrs.

2) Sign Greinke to $100M/5 yrs.

3) Re-Sign Ortiz to $20M/2yrs  

4) Trade: Brentz, Cecchini, Owens, & Coyle

For: Justin Upton

5) Trade: Lava, Aviles, & Ranaudo

For: Brett Anderson

6) Trade: de la Rosa, Gomez, & Pimental

For Justin Morneau

The 2013 Team:

1) Ellsbury CF

2) Pedey 2B

3) Hamilton LF

4) Upton RF

5) Ortiz DH

6) Middlebrooks 3B

7) Morneau 1B

8) Salty C

9) Iggy/Ciriaco SS

SP: Greinke, Buch, Lester, Anderson, Lackey, Doubront

RP: Bailey, Breslow, Morales, Aceves, Miller, Tazawa, Mortensen, Bard, Hill, Melancon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Padilla was lights out for a while this year, but clearly fizzled.  Again, middle relief pitching is such a crap shoot that the idea is to throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see what sticks.  It will change throughout the year.  Do NOT give a multi year deal to a reliever.

A lot of our bullpen ended up fizzling because Bobby seriously overused those guys. Granted his starting pitching really stunk, and I don't want anyone to think I'm putting all the blame on Bobby because I'm not. But when it's front page news when your when your starting pitcher goes seven innings, you clearly have a problem with your pitching staff. Bobby has never addressed that problem except to keep running Aceves and Padilla out there until their arms were falling off, and then throw them under the bus. Wow, I just read what I wrote and I think I might be the biggest hater on the board if Bobby comes back as manager next year. Don't fire him though, move him upstairs so he can hang out with his buddy Larry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Justin Upton has 1 really good year. He is overrated.

Hamilton and Grienke would crippled this team. They have baggage.

Trade Brentz + specs you would ask Oakland for one of their pitcher.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I do not think we should not go all out to win, but since you asked how we might be able to best position ourselves to seriously compete in 2013, I'd offer this idea, assuming we must stay under the luxury tax limit...

For Justin Morneau

The 2013 Team:

1) Ellsbury CF

2) Pedey 2B

3) Hamilton LF

4) Upton RF

5) Ortiz DH

6) Middlebrooks 3B

7) Morneau 1B

8) Salty C

9) Iggy/Ciriaco SS

RP: Bailey, Breslow, Morales, Aceves, Miller, Tazawa, Mortensen, Bard, Hill, Melancon

Count me in on everything but Hamilton and Greinke. And possibly Upton. I don't want to see us go out and sign anyone for more than 3 years. And Hamilton and Greinke both look like especially bad bets for long term deals. I'd much rather see us give someone like Jake Peavy 25 for one year than lock up another who may or may not be great for 4+ years. My feeling on J Upton is that we'd have to sell the farm for him, I don't think Brentz, Coyle, Cecchini and Owens would get that done. Towers would probably be looking for someone more like JBJ or Xander Bogaerts. And if we're selling the farm for anyone it had better be Johnny Cueto. Morneau and Anderson are both intriguing. They're both on short deals too aren't they?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

I think we're all in the same boat and very disappointed in how our team has done this year, but since I have been described as certifiably crazy I might be taking hardert than normal.  It got so bad tonight that I downloaded the Bonus CD of the 2007 season that had a very happy ending. I don't know what the front office is going to do but I think I'd g ive my pinky to have the Red Sox playing in  the World Series again with a year or two or three.

Two starting pitchers, two decent relievers, a good first baseman and resigning Cody Ross and  we might turn things in our favor.  One thing that might inhibit us is  who we might have to trade for that pitching.  Anyone g ive any thought to the possibility that other teams might not want Ellsbury since he has only one year left before he becomes a FA?  The teams we try and trade with could be asking for guys like Boegy, Jackie, Brian and Barnes.  Just thinking out loud.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

For Justin Morneau

The 2013 Team:

1) Ellsbury CF

2) Pedey 2B

3) Hamilton LF

4) Upton RF

5) Ortiz DH

6) Middlebrooks 3B

7) Morneau 1B

8) Salty C

9) Iggy/Ciriaco SS

Moon,

All star teams dont win Championships. This team doesn't need to spend 250 million on free agents and trade half of their top 10 prospects to be competitive.  They arguably may have a better "core" going into the offseason than 3 or 4 teams headed to the playoffs if they have reasonable health next year and a few guys who revert closer to the norm.  Baltimore may win this division, but I wouldn't trade our 40 man for theirs.  The Sox have the resources to be competitive next year and beyond. It should be fun to see how it plays out..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

I think we're all in the same boat and very disappointed in how our team has done this year, but since I have been described as certifiably crazy I might be taking hardert than normal.  It got so bad tonight that I downloaded the Bonus CD of the 2007 season that had a very happy ending. I don't know what the front office is going to do but I think I'd g ive my pinky to have the Red Sox playing in  the World Series again with a year or two or three.

Two starting pitchers, two decent relievers, a good first baseman and resigning Cody Ross and  we might turn things in our favor.  One thing that might inhibit us is  who we might have to trade for that pitching.  Anyone give any thought to the possibility that other teams might not want Ellsbury since he has only one year left before he becomes a FA?  The teams we try and trade with could be asking for guys like Boegy, Jackie, Brian and Barnes.  Just thinking out loud.

I think the Reds were asking about him at the trading deadline.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Moon, I know you're more of a stat guy and don't buy into the "chemistry" of ball clubs for  whatever reason, but read Pedro's comments on the state of the Sox this week.  In a nutshell, he said they have the core talent, but need to tweak the character of this team.  I agree completely and it will all start the day after the season when they remove Valentine.  Pedro was there for Kerrigan, Little and Jimy Williams.  He knows a little bit about bad managers...Valentine set the tone this spring with this team and his players clearly responded accordingly...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I thought 2004 was all about talent AND chemistry...Numbers matter, but if your temmates dont have your back it can make for a rough year. a group of very good players can make a great team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I could see bringing Youk back to play 1 B. The WS may not go for $13 M but the Sox might go 3 years ---$30 M.

I could see the Sox overpaying again for Ortiz--ONE year-$15 M with a team option.

I could see the Sox trading Ells and signing BJ Upton to a 5 year deal.

I could see the Sox trading Webster to the Cubs for Soriano and a lot of cash. Theo wanted him early on. 

I would have to review closely the FA arms that are available--Zach G. would not be in my plans. Sean Marcum might be a fit.

I would not trade  Rubby DLR or Jerry Sands until the Sox can measure their value, at least in ST or Winter Ball.

The lineup might look tough with:

Ciriaco--SS

Pedroia--2 B

Ortiz--DH

BJ Upton--CF

Ross--RF

Salty--C

Middlebrooks--3 B

Soriano--LF

Youk--1 B

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I could see bringing Youk back to play 1 B. The WS may not go for $13 M but the Sox might go 3 years ---$30 M.

I could see the Sox overpaying again for Ortiz--ONE year-$15 M with a team option.

I could see the Sox trading Ells and signing BJ Upton to a 5 year deal.

I could see the Sox trading Webster to the Cubs for Soriano and a lot of cash. Theo wanted him early on. 

I would have to review closely the FA arms that are available--Zach G. would not be in my plans. Sean Marcum might be a fit.

I would not trade  Rubby DLR or Jerry Sands until the Sox can measure their value, at least in ST or Winter Ball.

The lineup might look tough with:

Ciriaco--SS

Pedroia--2 B

Ortiz--DH

BJ Upton--CF

Ross--RF

Salty--C

Middlebrooks--3 B

Soriano--LF

Youk--1 B

Websters stuff will play well in Fenway, so I wouldnt be too quick to trade him just yet. Hes a groudball pitcher like D-Lowe.

Not sure Youk would get 3 years at his age and injury history. maybe 1 year with an option year and buyout. And especially not 10mm per considering all those injuries and watching his numbers fall the last few years.

If i were to get Soriano, I would tell the Cubs that I'll take the whole contract (we can afford 18mm for 2 years) but they have to throw in a prospect in order to avoid taking on some $$$. Why give away a prospect (especially Webster) when you can obtain one for taking on that big contract for only 2 years. Soriano could easily hit 30 HR and have 100 RBI for the Sox.

Ortiz? 2 years...Im on the side of giving the guy another year for all hes done and means to this organization and city (Like Jeter for NY). I would assure he retires in a Sox Uniform. He wont break the bank at 12mm and 2 years.

No to anyone with the last name Upton, especially at 5 years. they are both inconsistant.

Iggy would be the starting SS next year over Ciriaco, IMO, unless Bogaerts blows people away in ST next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Justin Upton is overrated.  

As for Soriano, we do not need him either.

And of course, fire Valentine.  

Sections
Shortcuts