If WMB continues to struggle, what about Michael Young for rent at third?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

If WMB continues to struggle, what about Michael Young for rent at third?

This may be Young's swan song, so he may certainly be up for playing for a contender.  One concern would be that he took some time off recently to attend to his hospitalized nine-month-old son.  I read that his son's condition has improved, but if it's a chronic, his head may not be that much into baseball.  

Since he's of little or no use to Philly if they're out of the race, the Red Sox won't have to give up much in personel, probably a lesser prospect.  He does have a hefty salary, but I believe Texas is still paying a good portion of it, and the Red Sox might be able to shed a little extra salary by dumping Drew elsewhere.  

His current numbers are not all that bad (.280 BA, .350 OPB, .721 OPS), and certainly a big improvement over WMB and Drew.  However, he has only hit 2 home runs so far in 64 games.  This is coming off of an 8 home run season last year in 156 games with Texas.  With Texas and Philly being two good home run hitting parks, it looks like he's lost his pop.  

I'm not advocating the Red Sox necessarily make this move, but I think it's something to keep an eye on.  WMB is dead weight in the line up right now and I'm not sure that Bogaerts is quite ready to assume such a key role on the team at a new position.  Michael Young might look nice hitting in the 7th spot.

Another thought is that he could be a piece in a blockbuster deal that could involve names like Cliff Lee, Paps (although not both together) and Lester and Doubront  (again, not both together).  WMB could be part of such a deal, and Bailey would be tossed in too.  

Just some grist for the mill.  Tear it apart if you want.  Go ahead, do your worst!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: If WMB continues to struggle, what about Michael Young for rent at third?

Iggy is probably better than Young at this point.  Start Iggy at 3B most games.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Iggy at short.  Young at third.  WMB in Pawtucket in August, Boston in September, or traded if someone offers an enticing deal.  For the moment anyway, Iggy/Young > Iggy/Drew/WMD.   This might play out differently in the next month, but again, Young is complementing Iggy and not a substitute for him.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Too soon to pull plug on Middlebrooks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Right now, yes.  Around July 31, time to reevaluate if necessary.  At least for this season going into the playoff drive.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Why is it we have to pit one player against another?  Last week it was Iggy vs. Drew.  This week it's Iggy vs. Middy.  Drew & Middy are both good players (although IMO Drew is better than Middy at this moment) and without Iggy the Sox would still be contenders.

Of course the answer to that earlier question is because of Iggy's superior defense combined with this 18 game hitting streak he's on. Everyone pales in comparison to him 

The good news is that we have Iggy.  The bad news is that we only have one of him.  But putting the best team on the field doesn't "pull the plug" on anybody.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Middy had a great rookie season before he got hurt by HBP.  He was on pace for 30 HR and 100 RBI in his first major league season.  he's just having a really tough sophomore year.  he will eventually turn around and be the future of our IF (whether it's 3B or 1B).  I truly believe he could be 40+ HR guy in his prime yrs.  When he hits right, he hits hard. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Middy had a great rookie season before he got hurt by HBP.  He was on pace for 30 HR and 100 RBI in his first major league season.  he's just having a really tough sophomore year.  he will eventually turn around and be the future of our IF (whether it's 3B or 1B).  I truly believe he could be 40+ HR guy in his prime yrs.  When he hits right, he hits hard.

To be precise, Will Middlebrooks had a great start to his rookie season, posting a .331/.368/.592/.960 line in 152 plate appearances before the Kevin Youkilis trade but a .240/.276/.416/.692 line in 134 plate appearances after the Youkilis trade.

Middlebrooks was exposed early on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Middy had a great rookie season before he got hurt by HBP.  He was on pace for 30 HR and 100 RBI in his first major league season.  he's just having a really tough sophomore year.  he will eventually turn around and be the future of our IF (whether it's 3B or 1B).  I truly believe he could be 40+ HR guy in his prime yrs.  When he hits right, he hits hard.

To be precise, Will Middlebrooks had a great start to his rookie season, posting a .331/.368/.592/.960 line in 152 plate appearances before the Kevin Youkilis trade and a .240/.276/.416/.692 line in 134 plate appearances after the Youkilis.

Bingo. And he hasnt made the adjustment yet.

I thought he would be able to make the adjustments needed already. So far he has proved me wrong. Im not giving up on him just yet though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I think Young would be an excellent pickup. He is a professional hitter, can play multiple positions and has a lot of post season experience. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Why  not start Drew at 3rd What is it with you about Iggy playing short-stop? Is he not the better fielder? 

I guess the question is whether Drew can play third. Iggy has proven he certainly can.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id leave Iggy at 3rd instead of trying to teach a 30yr old a position hes never played. Iggy has the quick reflexes for it. No use tinkering with what clearly works.

Young would cost a ton. Not sure Im for that move if it gets to that. Check back with me in July.

Middy is out of the lineup again today. Thats 2 in a row. Probably will be Iggy and Middy tomorrow with a LHP going in detroit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Why  not start Drew at 3rd What is it with you about Iggy playing short-stop? Is he not the better fielder? 

Yes, Iggy is a better fielder.  But Drew is having enough trouble at the plate without adding a position switch on top of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I only see 3 guys maning 3B.  WMB, Iggys, and Bogaerts.

Im not saying they won't go outside, but I tink this FO looks within before they go out and get someone.,

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I don't expect Bogaerts to get meaningful a/b in big leagues this year.( Barring a MAJOR breakout in Pawtuck).   I believe Young is way too much money and / or prospect cost for too little offensive improvement, specifically power-hitting desired from third base. I do expect Middlebrooks to make necessary adjustments to inside pitches, he's just recently started going other way with outside pitches with a modicum of improvement.

As we approach the deadline, IF a 3b move is obviated, Milwaukee's Aramis Ramirez would present a much more fitting and attractive target. Although Drew is supplying good defense at ss, I'm for Iglesias at ss and either WMB or another power guy at 3b.                                         

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

No.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-Drew is still fielding extremely well.

2-Drew has never played 3B.

3-Iggy has played extremely well at 3B.

4-Why change these that are working pretty well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Iggy at short.  Young at third.  WMB in Pawtucket in August, Boston in September, or traded if someone offers an enticing deal.  For the moment anyway, Iggy/Young > Iggy/Drew/WMD.   This might play out differently in the next month, but again, Young is complementing Iggy and not a substitute for him.  

Young's a fair-sized defensive liability at this point.  I can't see Iggy/Young being more valuable than Drew/Iggy.  What would you do with Drew if you traded for Young?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

To be precise, Will Middlebrooks had a great start to his rookie season, posting a .331/.368/.592/.960 line in 152 plate appearances before the Kevin Youkilis trade but a .240/.276/.416/.692 line in 134 plate appearances after the Youkilis trade.

hill - What are his overall MLB stats and his overall stats since the Youkilis trade including the .240 line above and this year? I'm guessing he's in the .214 range and that is over 300 AB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The everyday lineup against righties should be Iggy and Drew. Middlebrooks should play against lefties only now, giving him the best chance to succeed. If he continues to struggle, let him work things out in Pawtucket.  

Given that the Red Sox aren't getting the production they thought from him, and given that he isn't hitting in the 6th hole, where they expected, someone like Drew Sutton could come up from Pawtucket. I'm guessing giving Middlebrooks' struggles, their WARs would be similar.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I have been a fan of Young's for many years. He's a pro--can play any inf. position and DH.

Salary is $16 M ---$10 M being paid by the Rangers. If you could get him today for $4 M for the balance of the season the Sox should kick the tires. Some salary relief and a prospect---I think that would be a very good deal. His contract is up the end of the season. He is usually a doubles machine--and has been fairly productive at Fenway.

The one thing that concerns me is why the Yankees haven't gone after him with all their infield troubles---what do they know--maybe the Phillies don't want to trade him...

Sections
Shortcuts