IF YOU CAUGHT A POTENTIALLY MILLION $ BALL HIT BY YOUR FAVE RED SOX, WOULD YOU GIVE IT BACK FOR FREE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

IF YOU CAUGHT A POTENTIALLY MILLION $ BALL HIT BY YOUR FAVE RED SOX, WOULD YOU GIVE IT BACK FOR FREE?

LOVE HOW THE MEDIA IS NOW MAKING THIS Fat slob lopez guy into some kind of gandhi genius. this to me is naivete at the highest level of naivete. that ball is worth at least a million dollars. we are talking NY, the first yankee ever to hit 3000, we are talking derek jeter, we are big time nationally televised game against a rival. this guy lives at home, sells cellfones, needs his gal to give him a $350 tic to show up to the game and he's moronic enough to NOT secure his future with an esy $1M payday. 

reminds me of the guy whose house is on fire and prays to the gods to save him. they send the fire department, he says no.. god will save me.. a neighbor sends up a ladder, no my god will save me.. finally he dies and confronts god... yo dawg, y didnt you save me from the fire? hey dude, i sent you the fire department and a freakin ladder, what else did you want? likewise when this loser is someday poor  with no parents to leash n and his last govt check is done with  and that girl is long gone for a investment banker that can give her and the kiddos a life of ease, he'll be inserting vials of crack-cociane regretting the great life he could have had. 

there's no way this can ever possibly work out as great for him as it could have beeeeeeen! idealists be damned.. yep, its not all about the money says the dude with all the $! when smart folks say that, you know its all about the $ like these hypocritical ball players on strike now. 

i like pedy but if he were the first sox to do the same feat someday under the same circumstances, no way he's getting that ball away from me, not even my cold dead hands will give it up. being a nice guy, i would offer the red sox first dibs and do a hometown discount. rather than do an open bid where a yankee could get the ball, i would accept $200K plus some gear and season tickets and a chance to meet pedy and take some pics, even knowing its worth far more. the biggest irony would be if jeter auctions it some day or gives it to a charity that auctions it for a $2m plus someday. 

that price can only go up, unless jeter is found to have been another clemens or barry bonds. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: WOULD YOU HAD GIVEN BACK THAT JETER BALL TO A SOX FOR FREE?

interesting take from the NY DIGEST by mike silva:

I don’t know what to say about Highland Mills, NY resident Christian Lopez who willingly gave Derek Jeter his 3,000th hit ball without any negotiations. Take this quote from the Daily News this morning:

The lifelong Yankees fan who snagged Derek Jeter’s 3,000th hit shares a few qualities with The Captain: Hustle, generosity and class.

You mean the exact same things that will not be displayed (well hustle will, just not the kind we see from Jeter) from the Yankees and memorabilia industry (cough…cough Steiner Sports) as they sell Jeter merchandise?

The Yankees put a note on the scoreboard about Jeter merchandise being on sale right after the hit. Michael Kay made sure to point out on YES that the lines were getting long at the Stadium concession. Everyone is going to profit big time off this achievement: Jeter, the Yankees, Steiner Sports and various other memorabilia outlets. Why shouldn’t this kid get fair market value for this ball?

Here is what should have been done for Mr. Lopez. Jeter and the Yankees should figure out what fair market value for that baseball is and go 50/50 on giving the kid the money. He should be rewarded for trusting a big conglomerate like the Yankees who gave him 50 cents on the dollar for his merchandise (it’s the American Corporate way these days- they love 50 cents on the dollar deals).

Let me tell you, if yours truly had that ball it would not be given away for any tickets. It would be at a safe deposit box and the Yankees could talk to my lawyer about what it would take to get it out of there.

I would be fair. All I would ask for his fair market value. Nothing more, nothing less. That isn’t greedy, that is the American way. At least the old American way, not the new age greed that is passed off as capitalism.

You know what is greedy? How the Yankees lifted that ball and took advantage of a 23 year old kid. Giving him suite tickets that weren’t going to be sold. Signed merchandised. Please. At least the kid knows it’s real, which is more than I could say for the fans buying stuff from these other outlets. Trust me, I know for a fact there is tons of manipulation that goes on in that industry.

The kid, by the way, told Michael Kay on the broadcast he just graduated from college and admitted he is living day by day financially. Another new American way: pay thousands for dollars to a wealthy university so you have the privilege of being in debt the rest of your life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

sorry..Call me a jerk, but i would want some cash for that ball..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would have kept it, and then maybe in a year or so I might have auctioned it off with one pre-condiotion: The Yankees or Jeter could not bid for the ball. Mwhahahahahahaaha!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to WOULD YOU HAD GIVEN BACK THAT JETER BALL TO A SOX FOR FREE?:
    LOVE HOW THE MEDIA IS NOW MAKING THIS Fat slob lopez guy into some kind of gandhi genius. this to me is naivete at the highest level of naivete. that ball is worth at least a million dollars. we are talking NY, the first yankee ever to hit 3000, we are talking derek jeter, we are big time nationally televised game against a rival. this guy lives at home, sells cellfones, needs his gal to give him a $350 tic to show up to the game and he's moronic enough to NOT secure his future with an esy $1M payday.  reminds me of the guy whose house is on fire and prays to the gods to save him. they send the fire department, he says no.. god will save me.. a neighbor sends up a ladder, no my god will save me.. finally he dies and confronts god... yo dawg, y didnt you save me from the fire? hey dude, i sent you the fire department and a freakin ladder, what else did you want? likewise when this loser is someday poor  with no parents to leash n and his last govt check is done with  and that girl is long gone for a investment banker that can give her and the kiddos a life of ease, he'll be inserting vials of crack-cociane regretting the great life he could have had.  there's no way this can ever possibly work out as great for him as it could have beeeeeeen! idealists be damned.. yep, its not all about the money says the dude with all the $! when smart folks say that, you know its all about the $ like these hypocritical ball players on strike now.  i like pedy but if he were the first sox to do the same feat someday under the same circumstances, no way he's getting that ball away from me, not even my cold dead hands will give it up. being a nice guy, i would offer the red sox first dibs and do a hometown discount. rather than do an open bid where a yankee could get the ball, i would accept $200K plus some gear and season tickets and a chance to meet pedy and take some pics, even knowing its worth far more. the biggest irony would be if jeter auctions it some day or gives it to a charity that auctions it for a $2m plus someday.  that price can only go up, unless jeter is found to have been another clemens or barry bonds. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Only if it was you CC. Then you could enjoy and bring a guest (like me) to the Champion Suites for the remainder of the the regular and post season, if the Yanks get there. I'm a realist. Two contrarians sitting in the proverbial baseball cage doling out opinions of Sox/Yanks in defense of our personal homerisms. Sounds like fun. I was actually sitting two rows back from that home run in '09 against the Twins a shot hit by Jeter. Shoulda, coulda. Last moment decision, but got a fairly well sighted seat with plenty of elbow room for my Bud lager.
    Peace Bro. Maybe next year. Sounding off.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: WOULD YOU HAVE GIVEN BACK THAT JETER BALL TO A SOX FOR FREE?

Didn't anyone ever tell you?

Money doesn't buy happiness.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to WOULD YOU HAVE GIVEN BACK THAT JETER BALL TO A SOX FOR FREE?:
    LOVE HOW THE MEDIA IS NOW MAKING THIS Fat slob lopez guy into some kind of gandhi genius. this to me is naivete at the highest level of naivete. that ball is worth at least a million dollars. we are talking NY, the first yankee ever to hit 3000, we are talking derek jeter, we are big time nationally televised game against a rival. this guy lives at home, sells cellfones, needs his gal to give him a $350 tic to show up to the game and he's moronic enough to NOT secure his future with an esy $1M payday.  reminds me of the guy whose house is on fire and prays to the gods to save him. they send the fire department, he says no.. god will save me.. a neighbor sends up a ladder, no my god will save me.. finally he dies and confronts god... yo dawg, y didnt you save me from the fire? hey dude, i sent you the fire department and a freakin ladder, what else did you want? likewise when this loser is someday poor  with no parents to leash n and his last govt check is done with  and that girl is long gone for a investment banker that can give her and the kiddos a life of ease, he'll be inserting vials of crack-cociane regretting the great life he could have had.  there's no way this can ever possibly work out as great for him as it could have beeeeeeen! idealists be damned.. yep, its not all about the money says the dude with all the $! when smart folks say that, you know its all about the $ like these hypocritical ball players on strike now.  i like pedy but if he were the first sox to do the same feat someday under the same circumstances, no way he's getting that ball away from me, not even my cold dead hands will give it up. being a nice guy, i would offer the red sox first dibs and do a hometown discount. rather than do an open bid where a yankee could get the ball, i would accept $200K plus some gear and season tickets and a chance to meet pedy and take some pics, even knowing its worth far more. the biggest irony would be if jeter auctions it some day or gives it to a charity that auctions it for a $2m plus someday.  that price can only go up, unless jeter is found to have been another clemens or barry bonds. 

Why would I give a Jeter HR ball to a Sox player?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

I would not have given it back - it would have been auctioned off to the highest bidder - then you would be set for life - Jeter makes more $$ per at bat then most people make in a year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Would your attitude be the same if it were a Sox player?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: WOULD YOU HAVE GIVEN BACK THAT JETER BALL TO A SOX FOR FREE?:
    In Response to WOULD YOU HAVE GIVEN BACK THAT JETER BALL TO A SOX FOR FREE? : Why would I give a Jeter HR ball to a Sox player?
    Posted by niz-58

MY BAD.. GUESs i didnt write the initial title clear enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: IF YOU CAUGHT A POTENTIALLY MILLION $ BALL HIT BY YOUR FAVE RED SOX, WOULD YOU GIVE IT BACK FOR FREE?

well CC let me ask you. Papi hit's his 50th home run and you catch it. or, maybe adrian hits a walk off home run to win the division. and again, you catch it. are you gonna go running to give it back or get it authenticated and hold on to it until later on. me? money talks and BS walks.........$$$$$ if you catch my drift.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: IF YOU CAUGHT A POTENTIALLY MILLION $ BALL HIT BY YOUR FAVE RED SOX, WOULD YOU GIVE IT BACK FOR FREE?

**** NO

The argument for high ticket prices is always that this is what you have to expect in a free market country...if people are willing to spend the money and the demand is there then it is only inherent that ticket prices will go up along with Salaries....etc etc.

So even though I do consider myself a fan of the game I'm also a fan of ME and MY LIFE as well.  If the value of that ball is a lets say a million or so, then you better believe I expect to get compensated and if they don't want to dish it out then I'll take it straight to Ebay!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I would have given the ball to Jeter if he gave me his $500,000.00 bonus money he received for making the All Star team.If he didn't want to do that,it would be sent to either Lelands or Heritage auction houses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In the end it's just a fuking baseball.  You would have to be a chump to give it to a multimillion dollar organization and/or player at less than it's worth vs. providing security for yourself and your family.  I would do the same thing whether it was for a milestone of Derek Jeter or Big Papi. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

It's kind of like giving the money back to the state when you hit the lottery

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

no i wouldn't. i would want a million dollars for it. case closed.
    in other words, i'd be just as greedy as the person who  hit it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: IF YOU CAUGHT A POTENTIALLY MILLION $ BALL HIT BY YOUR FAVE RED SOX, WOULD YOU GIVE IT BACK FOR FREE?:
    It's kind of like giving the money back to the state when you hit the lottery
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Yes, but the law requires you to do that.  At least a percentage. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: WOULD YOU HAVE GIVEN BACK THAT JETER BALL TO A SOX FOR FREE?:
    Didn't anyone ever tell you? Money doesn't buy happiness.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

yeah, the same people who told me the other big fat lie, that the best things in life are free.

and who are those people---THE RICH.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's The Stadium.  If he keeps that ball, he doesn't make it to the exits alive.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to IF YOU CAUGHT A POTENTIALLY MILLION $ BALL HIT BY YOUR FAVE RED SOX, WOULD YOU GIVE IT BACK FOR FREE?:

I would have offered it back to the player if he wanted it.  I'm sure, especially in the case of "Jeter" he took care of the kid on the side for his gesture.   

Sections
Shortcuts