If you could suggest 5 or fewer moves to Ben Ch. for 2012 what would they be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

Re: If you could suggest 5 or fewer moves to Ben Ch. for 2012 what would they be?

1. Sign Papelbon back(not Papi, Varitek, Drew, Wakefield).
    2. Sign mike Buehrle and then a few more pitchers to fill out the rotation and depth.
    3. Fill out the bullpen with one more solid arm, then depth.
    4. Bring in a manager that is knows how to handle his pitchers, can control the team, and is able to adapt to the input given to him by the front office.
    5. Trade for John Mayberry of the Phillies(or another young impact outfielder) if possible, if not sign Carlos Beltran, if he costs too much, sign a platoon for Reddick/Kalish

I feel that there is not a huge need for a third baseman or DH because I feel Youk/Aviles/Lowrie? can handle third base, and Youk/Lavarnway/any player in need of rest can fill DH. Since the Phillies are looking hard at Cuddyer, I feel that frees Mayberry up for a trade, therefore i feel he is someone to look for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: If you could suggest 5 or fewer moves to Ben Ch. for 2012 what would they be?

1Get a Manager and Coaches in place
    2.Re-sign Papelbon
    3.Re-sign Ortiz
    4.Sign Beltran
    5.Trade for Gio Gonzalez

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: If you could suggest 5 or fewer moves to Ben Ch. for 2012 what would they be?:
    [QUOTE]
    1. Sign Papelbon back(not Papi, Varitek, Drew, Wakefield).

Disagree I'd sign Ortiz if the price is right and let the others walk.

2. Sign mike Buehrle and then a few more pitchers to fill out the rotation and depth.

It adds more credibility if you know the players name...it's Mark Buerhle...and then a few more, so they'll have a 7-8 man rotation. where does this depth all go...to Pawtucket?

3. Fill out the bullpen with one more solid arm, then depth.

So is the depth you want added, just lousy pitchers? Not sure of this.

4. Bring in a manager that is knows how to handle his pitchers, can control the team, and is able to adapt to the input given to him by the front office.

How can I dispute this one...I guess thats why the call them managers.

5. Trade for John Mayberry of the Phillies(or another young impact outfielder) if possible, if not sign Carlos Beltran, if he costs too much, sign a platoon for Reddick/Kalish I feel that there is not a huge need for a third baseman or DH because I feel Youk/Aviles/Lowrie? can handle third base, and Youk/Lavarnway/any player in need of rest can fill DH. Since the Phillies are looking hard at Cuddyer, I feel that frees Mayberry up for a trade, therefore i feel he is someone to look for.

Thats right let's add another LH bat to the OF and overload the line-up with lefties...Great idea.  But why would the Phils want Cuddyer when the have Matberry?

Posted by soxforlife22[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: If you could suggest 5 or fewer moves to Ben Ch. for 2012 what would they be?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you could suggest 5 or fewer moves to Ben Ch. for 2012 what would they be? :
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Beltran is a switch hitter, Mayberry is righthanded and so too is Cuddyer...

The reason the Phillies are in the hunt for Cuddyer is because Ibanez is a free agent and Ryan Howard is out until May 1st at the earliest thus Mayberry will be the opening day 1B for the Phillies and it's highly unlikely they trade him...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

1. Hire manager and Coaching staff

2. Sign Michael Cuddyer as a RF/3B

3. Acquire another OF, and create a rotation between 3B, OF, and DH

4. Sign Mark Buehrle and Brandon Webb

5. Trade Lowrie and Reddick/Kailish for a closer/bullpen help

That should be it for major moves, the team obviously has to sign a few roster fillers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

1) Hire a manager
    2) Sign a starter like Bedard AND one other (i.e. trade for Gio Gonzalez)
    3) Sign Papelbon or Nathan as the closer
    4) Acquire a RH bat for rightfield or try a Linares/Kalish platoon until trade deadline...then look to upgrade if they platoon doesn't work.
    5) Add Mike Gonzalez to the bullpen

Spit out the same team as last year, with the added motivation that they now need to perform for a new manager and win respect back from the fanbase.

Line-up:
    Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    A Gonzalez
    Youk
    Ortiz
    Crawford
    Linares/Kalish
    Salty
    Scutaro

Starters:
    Lester
    Beckett
    Buccholz
    G Gonzalez
    Bedard

Bullpen:
    Papelbon or Nathan
    Bard
    Aceves
    M Gonzalez
    Jenks
    Albers
    Miller/Doubront

Bench:
    Lavernway
    Kalish/Linares
    Aviles
    Lowrie

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you could suggest 5 or fewer moves to Ben Ch. for 2012 what would they be? : Beltran is a switch hitter, Mayberry is righthanded and so too is Cuddyer... The reason the Phillies are in the hunt for Cuddyer is because Ibanez is a free agent and Ryan Howard is out until May 1st at the earliest thus Mayberry will be the opening day 1B for the Phillies and it's highly unlikely they trade him...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Thanks Beantowne...I stand corrected...yes he is righthanded...but once again my point of replacing him with Cuddyer makes no sense if he's an up and coming player for the Phillies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to If you could suggest 5 or fewer moves to Ben Ch. for 2012 what would they be?:
    [QUOTE]1. Do not resign Tek, Drew, Papi, Wake, McDonald or Pap 2. Sign Cuddyer, Kubel and Nathan--they come from good training grounds they    are all good players and all good team players 3. Sign either DeMarlo, Maddox or Alomar,Jr. to manage 4. Convince Carl C. to play RF--it's easier finding a left fielder and his speed     would be better utilized 5. If Pap leaves make Aceves the closer until he loses the job.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Hey Mad,

#1 I still feel its time for Wake and Tek to step back into possible coaching roles, or play ellswhere for a year or two before the Sox can find the role.  Lav was impressive late last season and much more polished than some suggested he may be behind the plate.  If a catcher needs to be included in a package to find us a new SP etc.  I would have no problem with Salty being includedalong with Reddick or Kalish.  Lav and Tek could also be an effective combination because the real improvement offensively and in throwing runners out at the catching position should come from Lavarnway in the future.  

#2 Very few teams have two guys like Papi and Pap.  I would make an effort to sign both, but feel Papi is more expendable due to age.  Both are very difficult to replace.  Who besides Youk, Prince or Albert could possibly match Papi's OBP or OPS?  Moving Youk to DH?  Trading Youk?  I just don't see very productive replacements for Youk or Papi just yet.  Hopefully Papi agrees on a reasonable year to year "team friendly" contract with team options and/or incentives for reaching certain goals.  If Papi walks we may just need a one year guy like Vlade or another FA.  Next season may be the best time to move Youk to DH, or trade him if needed.  If Napoli becomes available in 2013 it could help us re-evaluate things at DH and C if things don't go as planned.  Keeping Youk also allows Middlebrook more time to mature.

#3 Either Mike Cuddyer or Beltran could be soulutions in RF, it should give us a more more well rounded offense at C and in RF.  Quentins name has been mentioned but I don't see the fascination with another OF that can't hit LHP.

#4 Madson in my opinion would be a "great sign" if we want Aceves in the starting rotation.  I also like Weiland, Millier and maybe Kerry Wood or Chris Young as additions to the pen.  Even Rich Harden if hes not spot starting.

Starters:
    #1 Beckett
    #2 Lester,
    #3 Buchholz
    #4 Buehrle, I have to go with the master "inning eater".  Much like Lackey he is hittable but much better at getting out of trouble.
    #5 Aceves
    #6 Harden
    #7 Miller
    #8 Weiland

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Let your FAs walk and take the picks (let Lavarnway, Youkilis and Middlebrooks fight it out over 3B and DH)

Sign Darvish

Move Aceves to the rotation

Sign Cespedes for RF

Sign three relievers to make up for loss of Paps, Aceves (now in rotation) and Albers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chasemon. Show chasemon's posts

1-Get Ramirez from the Cubs
    2-Make a package for starting pitcher-Add Youk if needed
    3-Sign paps and Papi
    4-RH BAT for lf/rf-move crawford to rf if needed
    5-bullpen help street/soria via trade

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I agree with a lot of posts:

Resign Papi and Pap
    Sign Willingham or Ludwick to platoon with Kalish or Reddick
    Sign Mark Buerhle
    Sign a reliable RP- lots to choose from
    Choose a strong Manager and Staff

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Let your FAs walk and take the picks (let Lavarnway, Youkilis and Middlebrooks fight it out over 3B and DH) Sign Darvish Move Aceves to the rotation Sign Cespedes for RF Sign three relievers to make up for loss of Paps, Aceves (now in rotation) and Albers.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]
    What are the chances that Jonathan Papelbon, David Ortiz or Jason Varitek accepts an offer of arbitration?

Papelbon has talked for years about testing the free agent market, but the market for potential closers is crowded this year with Ryan Madson, Heath Bell, Francisco Rodriguez, Frank Francisco, Matt Capps, Francisco Cordero, Joe Nathan, Jonathan Broxton and Jon Rauch. Papelbon might accept an offer of arbitration this year in hopes of finding a better market in the 2012 offseason. Ortiz faces an uncertain market after Jim Thome reportedly signed for $1.25 million. Varitek may simply prefer to stay with the Red Sox or retire.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

1) Let Ortiz walk
    2) Let Papelbon walk
    3) Let Tek walk
    4) Let Wake walk
    5) Direct order to new Manager: Iglesias, Lavarway, Kalish, Reddick are your guys, work it out.

6) Sign Ramon Hernandez - Find out if the Braves are going to extend Brian McCann, ask Arizona about Miguel Montero
    7) Trade Salty for any available premium middle reliever
    8) Re-sign Bedard
    9) ..... I can go on and on good thing you only asked for 5.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Would you trade Jed Lowrie for Mariner closer Brandon League?

... as suggested by this Seattle blogger:

http://www.proballnw.com/11-2011/how-prince-fielder-can-fit-into-a-mariners-offseason-plan-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ProBallNw+%28Pro+Ball+NW%29&utm_content=ESPN

I'm a Seattle fan who thinks one year of All Star closer Brandon League is worth far more than three arbitration years of infielder Jed Lowrie (whom the blogger would spin off with infielder Kyle Seager and outfielder Casper Wells to San Diego for thirdbaseman Chase Headley and reliever Joe Thatcher).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If San Fran is open to trading Youkilus for one of their best starters, say Matt Cain (who unlike Beckett actually knows how to pitch 200+).

I would trade Lowrie for a batboy or foul ball girl.... either is fine.

I would never trade Elles unless I got a Brian McCann or someone who is already among the other teams top stars.  I am open to trading Elles only because we are stuck with similar set-skills Crawford. 

So many options

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

1. Put Doubrant in the rotation.
    2. Sign Kelly Shoppach to back up Salty. Lavarnway starts at AAA. Comes up in May.
    3. Sign Papelbon / Ortiz
    4. Find  another RH bat via trade. Not crazy about Cuddyer.
    5. No big ticket contracts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

1.  Get rid of Darnell McDonald.
    2.  Get rid of Jed Lowrie.
    3.  Get rid of Josh Reddick.
    4.  Get rid of Tim Wakefield.
    5.  Get rid of Jason Varitek.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

1)  Let Pap walk unless he'll sign for about 12 mil per
    2)  Keep Papi on a per year team option with team buyout contract.
    3)  Give Inglesia the SS position and put Dubrant in the rotation.
    4)  Keep Ellsbury and Youk unless you get an unbelievable offer for a SP.  Youk's value is low so he won't bring much.
    5)  Sign Cud (solid everyday RF) or Sizemore (to platoon with Kalish/Riddick...you might actually need all three players with their injury histories to get a full season of OF play).

Let Lavarnway stay at the majors.  If Ortiz leaves for multiyear, then run with three catchers using Lavarnway as a DH.  Would love to see Crawford in RF but that is not going to happen since he prefers LF and is his arm even strong enough?

lastly, no huge FA splashes.  Unless your going for Pujols or Fielder, everyone else will be overpriced and end up disappointing. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

43 posts and not one of you suggest to Ben that he hire me as Assistant GM? 

Unwashed heathen!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

hill,

I actually conjectured about Papelbon accepting arbitration in another thread.  It could happen, in which case the Sox end up not needing to sign a FA closer.  Tek?  He might also accept arbitration, which is always the risk.  But I am ok with him coming back as the backup catcher for one more year.  As for Ortiz, I would expect him to sign somewhere else and garner 2 draft picks.  Fill the spot internally and you have 2 extra draft picks next June.  Sign a Type B free agent and you still get 2 extra draft picks.  Only if you sign a Type A FA  do you NOT get two extra draft picks, but you still end up with a supplemental draft pick you otherwise would not have (and that is true for Papelbon as well).  So, it makes good business sense to me to offer arbitration to all three and let them walk if they choose.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

After reading your comments during the last several days I stand by my five suggestions for Ben except for the Maddux for manager and another signing. I would go after Sizemore, Kubel and Nathan( as long as Nathan would be open to close or set-up). Promote from within for the last two starting slots. Maybe a wildcard shot at Zambrano if Theo pays $12 M of his $19 M. Zambrano is only 30 with a 125/81--W/L and a career 3.60 ERA. We have enough Veterans that hopefully could get him to pitch and not act like a fool.

1. Do not resign Tek, Drew, Papi, Wake, McDonald or Pap
    2. Sign Cuddyer, Kubel and Nathan--they come from good training grounds they
       are all good players and all good team players
    3. Sign either DeMarlo, Maddux or Alomar,Jr. to manage
    4. Convince Carl C. to play RF--it's easier finding a left fielder and his speed
        would be better utilized
    5. If Pap leaves make Aceves the closer until he loses the job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Crawford doesn't really have the arm for RF.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

chuchos--I agree he doesn't have the arm however the art of throwing out runners going from first to third has become a lost art. Outfielders, especially RF'ders today don't show their arms off like they use to.
    Francoeur and Ichiro come to mind that have guns--it's a treat to watch them throw.
    CC doesn't have a good arm, Damon didn't have a good arm. My feeling CC may keep balls from falling in as hits, he might cut the ball off when they're hit to the gap plus we might find a left fielder easier--Ex. a Carlos Lee that could play LF and hit for power that might come in a trade.
    Re. moves--Pap is gone.
    Perhaps a new manager will be named by mid week.
    Hopefully a decision will be made before the new year that there will be open competition for closer on the Sox--it will give candidates a chance to prepare for that role unless Ben chooses to sign a FA closer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Here's the flyer for Ben to consider:

Don't sign Papi and trade Youk. Go all in for Pujols!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can hear all the lamenting now from the board---$25 M for 8 years.

Lineup:
    CC, Pedroia, Ells, Pujols, AGon, Lav, Reddick, Aviles, Scutaro.

We are open for business!!!!!

Hopefully Youk could get us a #5 starter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In no order:

1.  Get rid of Youkilis
    2.  Make a run a Buehrle
    3.  Roll the dice on Sizemore
    4.  Move Bard to the rotation
    5.  Make a run a Ryan Madson