If you had to choose between Papi and Paps...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you had to choose between Papi and Paps...

I still think if we want to get better, we will need to spend some money to upgrade SP, RF, and the pen (and maybe SS & C too). 

I do not think we can do that and keep Papi and Paps. 

The kids we have to fill in the RF, SP and pen slots are not ready or not too good. 

The kids we have to replace Papi or Paps are better and closer to being ready. (Bard and Lavarnway/Youk/Lowrie at DH) (Edit 10/6/11: I meant to put Lavarnway/Salty catchers and Lavarnway/Youk Lowrie as DH. My bad.)

To me, this is the realization our GM will come too. The draft pick(s) we get when one walks makes the choice a little easier to make.

So, assuming we only keep one, which one do you want to keep?

Papelbon and go with Youk/Lavarnway/Lowrie at DH and stock up the other slots.

or

Papi and go with Bard/Jenks as closer and stock up the pen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: If you had to choose between Papi and Paps...

If I had to choose between 2 threads with the same title, started by the same person at the same time...... tough call

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Sad thing is most teams would have to let both walk but having to chose one (not my money) I will take Paplebon only because he will play at a high level longer. If Ortiz was 32 years old it would be David hands down.

On a side not I found it odd not one mention of Paplebon having one of his best years ever, a bounce back year in some ways, in a contract season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

I'll take Papelbon.
    At this point in time, he's more important, and a 36 (or whatever) year old DH.
    He is one of the best closers in the game. Plus, Bard showed he is clearly not ready to be the closer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In Response to Re: If you had to choose between Papi and Paps...:
    [QUOTE]If I had to choose between 2 threads with the same title, started by the same person at the same time...... tough call
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

The kids we have to replace Papi or Paps are better and closer to being ready. (Bard and Lavarnway/Salty)

No way to take this thread seriously. Obviously, Lavarway/Salty DH is a joke. Salty will probably never be ready as a Dh, and Lavarnway certainly isn't ready as a Dh.

Lowrie would be a joke. Youk could do it against Lefties, but most certainly would not be a strength against Rh pitching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Lowrie when healthy can hit.
    DH would suit him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Lowrie isn't ever healthy in body or mind. In addition, he is a joke vs. RP.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Resigning Papelbon is more important than Ortiz, although, resigning both would be a good idea.  If Papelbon isn't resigned by the Red Sox he will probably end up with the Yankees.  Their may be some other teams interested in him, but not many that can pay his salary demands. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Paps is the logical signing. Letting Papi play for another team will come back to haunt them.

Boston will sign both.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Hard to say.  Which is more likely to be worth the contract they're demanding?  I'd like to think Papelbon would.  Ortiz at anything more than one year 8-10 mil, maybe with an option year, would scare me. He proved that he can play with a one year contract, as much as he didn't like to do it. 

Youk is in the plans to slide over to DH at some point if they keep him and if that hip surgery lets him continue to play 3rd.  Having a DH that could play 1st or 3rd in a pinch would be invaluable.  I love Papi, but in NL parks he's a problem.

If I'm the Sox, I go max 3 yrs. on Papelbon, but it could be that some team trumps that.  On Papi, 1 with an option.  It's possible both walk.     

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Paps.  Ortiz is on the down side.  Paps is in his prime.  He blew 3 saves last year.

Ortiz gets 1 year with a team option.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to If you had to choose between Papi and Paps...:
    [QUOTE]I still think if we want to get better, we will need to spend some money to upgrade SP, RF, and the pen (and maybe SS & C too).  I do not think we can do that  and  keep Papi and Paps.  The kids we have to fill in the RF, SP and pen slots are not ready or not too good.  The kids we have to replace Papi or Paps are better and closer to being ready. (Bard and Lavarnway/Salty)  To me, this is the realization our GM will come too. The draft pick(s) we get when one walks makes the choice a little easier to make. So, assuming we only keep one, which one do you want to keep? Papelbon and go with Youk/Lavarnway/Lowrie at DH and stock up the other slots. or Papi and go with Bard/Jenks as closer and stock up the pen.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree Pap would be the guy to let go.  We need a solid RF and some serious help with pitching.  Heath Bell is also out there and probably at a cheaper prive than Pap.  If the money is there I may even kick the tires on Y. Molina, who could give us a more well rounded game and help Salty.  Reyes is another guy that could be a huge help if Iglesias needs time.  However, I dont feel SS or C is our biggest issue.

Hopefully the changes we make are well thought out.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

I would go with Papelbon cuz I dont trust these free agent closers.  Also if Bard is the closer, then who is the newest set up man.  Messing up the bullpen is worse than messing up a DH player.   

To find a DH, it is not too hard to find one.  If Tampa can find DH easily every year, then Boston should be able to do it.   I know the most popular names out there for DH is Pujols or Fielder, but I think the safer picks are Beltran, Damon, Vlad, Carlos Pena, Josh Willingham (a good pick to play Of/DH), etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Papelbon is a head case. A narcissistic blowhard who can take his act somewhere else.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Paps is the more important player and harder to replace .....but..... is he one of the cancers in the clubhouse?,it would not be a surprize. I also dont think Papi and Agon jogging(if that) to first is acceptable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie when healthy can hit. DH would suit him.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I was going to say Paps is more important but if Jed Lowrie is our DH, I think it is Papi.

I'd bring back Papelbon first as long as Lowrie is not the plan at DH.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Paps is the more important player and harder to replace .....but..... is he one of the cancers in the clubhouse?,it would not be a surprize. I also dont think Papi and Agon jogging(if that) to first is acceptable.
    Posted by maxnsl[/QUOTE]The "cancer" logic outside of the RS inner circle that actually knows what's going on is a slippery slope.

In part because from what we as fans have to judge, outside of who we "like" better what evidence is there that Papelbon was an issue?

Ortiz on the other hand gave sound bites to the media about being upset he wasn't extended and again that he wasn't etxended mid year. he broke into the manager press conference to complain about credit for an RBI (supposedly a prank), second guessed the manager about not using Aceves as a starter and went public that it was time to panic.

But that aside. I know this is non-commital but it is of course all about $$$ and years. Three years for a 36 year old DH is very scary, 4 years for any closer even one that has had 30 plus saves his first 6 years in MLB is scary.

Either guy leaves a hole. Are the RS ready to become CBT payers or is the ceiling about what it was last season? A lot of variables here...but if I had to choose betwen 3 year at $36M for Ortiz or 3 years $42M for Papelbon, I'd take the closer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Papi's bat in the 5 hole has value...the down side is we get little else in terms of value having a DH that can't play the field and he's not getting any younger...if we don't resign him, then the Rays will likely jump at the chance to sign Papi who'd be a perfect fit behind Longoria...

Papelbon's role is way overvalued by most and I would think that he's blown his last save in a must win Sox game....Of which he's now a resounding 0'fer 2 (2009 game 3 vs Angels and game 162 vs the Orioles).

So if I had to chose between the two...I'd pass on both if that's an option, if it's not then Papi would be the logical choice in that neither of our division rivals would sign him...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

What is this love affrair the FO has with Jed DL Lowrie?
    He stinks and should be DFA'd. The guy is made of glass.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]If I had to choose between 2 threads with the same title, started by the same person at the same time...... tough call
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I forgot to put the poll attachment... get over it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie isn't ever healthy in body or mind. In addition, he is a joke vs. RP.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

I edited my post to reflect the right DH choices.

I'm not saying it is a good choice, but if Papi leaves and we don't spend on another DH, our options are: Lavarnway (vs some L & R), Youk (vs some L & R), and Lowrie (vs LHPs only)

If people want both, they better be prepared to see Reddick in RF and/or Aviles/Lowrie at SS, and not much pitching upgrades.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So if I had to chose between the two...I'd pass on both if that's an option, if it's not then Papi would be the logical choice in that neither of our division rivals would sign him

The second thread has a poll attached and 4 options:
    Papi, Paps, both or neither.

Sections
Shortcuts