If you had to choose...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If you had to choose...

The Sox have inquired about Matt Kemp.

http://nesn.com/2013/11/report-red-sox-have-inquired-about-dodgers-center-fielder-matt-kemp/

Probably not big deal and just doing the normal due diligence, but if it were between Kemp and Ellsbury who would you choose. Both would have large deals at big $$ (about 20M per). Kemp has had all those nagging injuries the last 2 years that has limited his games played, but has that raw power. When healthy, Kemp is an MVP candidate. Ells, although injured, was hardly the nagging type (which is worse). Has some "pop", good obp/BA, can steal 50 bags a year, and can play in pressue situations.

The LAD will have to eat a chunk of Kemps deal to make it happen and the Sox would have to send a decent prospect or 2 in return. So if the Dodgers are willing to eat 20-30M of Kemps deal (like the Tigers did with Prince), bringing it to around 100M over 6 years, would you do that or sign Ells? Give reasons why you would or wouldnt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: If you had to choose...

Depends on the price of each.

Matt Kemp presents the greater risk and the World Series champion Red Sox are not in a position where they need to assume great risks.

A struggling franchise such as Seattle might be willing to take on that risk, again depending on the price. The Mariners might explore the trade route instead of chasing free agent Jacoby Ellsbury because of the difficulty of luring a free agent hitter to Seattle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i would just keep ellsbury...because we already know him and what he can do...and why change when we have a guy who knows how to win...but this is the one how much will ells be making? if it's 143mil to kemp 100mil? and who do we give back to the dodgers?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Ellsbury

Kemp requires significant prospects.  still have to pay him $15-16M for 6 yrs even after receiving money from the Dodgers.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

it's close enough but i'll take the guy with 2 rings.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Ellsbury...only because Softy still owes 2 months of Fan Club dues Tongue Out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Ellsbury. Home grown, proven Boston player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree with all of you. Ellsbury would be the choice.

Im not saying the Sox will go with either of them, just posing a question

Hill,

I agree that Seattle makes more sense for the reason you stated.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I would nt choose between cuz Ellsbury will not find any contract that will pay him 20mm dollars a year.  Right now everyone is avoiding Ellsbury, Choo and Cano.   That is why I think Boston can still sign him for 17 to 18 mm dollars a year.

Ellsbury first, if not, then maybe Kemp only if Dodgers eat up 40% of his salary!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's threads like this will coax softy out of the woodwork.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If the Dodgers ate most of his contract and would take Webster back and some chum prospects sure other wise you would be better off paying the wooden indian the cache! Their are other options as Washington is trying to unload Span as well as the Phillies who are attempting to send Brown packing, my choice provided the wooden indian leaves is signing Rajai Davis and has been my top choice too replace the wooden indian should he sign elsewheres. He costs nothing except whatever annual salary he is paid. I also wouldn't mind Denard Span.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think he got tired of being consistently banned last week. Looks like the Mods are banning him on sight. Besides with his last 2 years, his deal is looking worse and worse. He doesnt show up for workTongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

ellsbury.

for all the talk about Ells' durability, Kemp ACTUALLY is injury prone.
     We know what we will get from Jacoby and we know he can play here. no clue if Kemp can (even if he does manage to stay on the field)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Ellsbury because of his much better current health.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

It's still early---early moves McCann, a few trades. Is McCann setting the table @ $17?

Someone might get some good deals for Ells, Nap, Drew and Salty.

Maybe they all come back for an encore--how would you feel about that?

All for $14 M each plus incentives--one year deals. Is this the "Bridge Year" or was last year?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

It's still early---early moves McCann, a few trades. Is McCann setting the table @ $17?

Someone might get some good deals for Ells, Nap, Drew and Salty.

Maybe they all come back for an encore--how would you feel about that?

All for $14 M each plus incentives--one year deals. Is this the "Bridge Year" or was last year?

no way they all sign for one year..no way..i'd take nap on a 3year deal...i'd take drew on a 2year deal..i'd take ells on a 5 or 6year deal....all come back next season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The choice is pay Ellsbury, or pay Kemp PLUS give up prospects. Seems simple to me, but I am just a boy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

The choice is pay Ellsbury, or pay Kemp PLUS give up prospects. Seems simple to me, but I am just a boy.

what do you mean boy?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Re-signing Jacoby Ellsbury would require that the Red Sox "forfeit" the sandwich-round compensatory draft the Sox effectively accured when Ellsbury declined the qualifying offer.

I understand what you're saying, but it would be "pay Ellsbury" plus forfeit an accrued draft pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Ellsbury...only because Softy still owes 2 months of Fan Club dues Tongue Out

Priceless

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I like draft picks as well as anyone, but an Ellsbury in the hand is worth more than a draft pick in the bush.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He ain't coming out for this one.  The very fact that the LAD are willing to eat salary is an admission that they overpaid for Kemp.

IRT to the OP, if the cost were absolutely identical in every way, I'd go with Ellsbury.  Kemp probably has marginally more talent, but the injuries and increasing K/W are troublemsome.

Plus, the fact that Ells has a couple of rings already and is used to Boston, plus the fact that Kemp is a little too 'Hollywood' for my tastes.

The one thing that would argue in favor of Kemp is JBJ.  If you commited to JBJ in CF, as I beleive we should be, and wanted to make a splash, a move to LF by Kemp would not gut his value by as much as it would Ellsbury's, and might actuially be beneficial since it might keep him on the field longer.

Still wouldn't go after either one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from darrylfries. Show darrylfries's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

He ain't coming out for this one.  The very fact that the LAD are willing to eat salary is an admission that they overpaid for Kemp.

IRT to the OP, if the cost were absolutely identical in every way, I'd go with Ellsbury.  Kemp probably has marginally more talent, but the injuries and increasing K/W are troublemsome.

Plus, the fact that Ells has a couple of rings already and is used to Boston, plus the fact that Kemp is a little too 'Hollywood' for my tastes.

The one thing that would argue in favor of Kemp is JBJ.  If you commited to JBJ in CF, as I beleive we should be, and wanted to make a splash, a move to LF by Kemp would not gut his value by as much as it would Ellsbury's, and might actuially be beneficial since it might keep him on the field longer.

Still wouldn't go after either one.

No one in the Sox organization  is commited to JBL thst's apparant from his exclusion from the post season roster. He gutted himself last year and until we can see lots of progress he's not in the immediate future.

Hard to commit to someone who hits less than his weight.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts