If you were starving and needed a dollar to buy a loaf of bread...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: If you were starving and needed a dollar to buy a loaf of bread...

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to NLU75's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

who would you hold your hand out to?

softy or Ted Cruz?

Moon,  Is Cruz the bad guy here, no  but Obamacare will bankrupt ever state in the union

Cruz is a moron. Obama was right that the tea party idiots were trying to blackmail the county into giving them what they could not achieve through the legislative process. They lost, and they can't handle it.

Pumpsie...the House passing Bills to change or Repeal Obama care IS the Legislative process.....and the members of the House are not supposed to vote on what the Country wants , but on what the people of their district who they represent want(thus the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES)....we in the Northeast may disagree with what the people in thier district want, but thats the way the system is designed to work....Lawas are passed all the time and then later changed....Social Secuirty is the law of the Land.....but it has been changed by later legislative action numerous times...for the President to even refuse to discuss changes to the Healthcare Law, voted on and passed by a House Of Congress, when he himself has changed the law unilaterally(unconsitutionally by the way)...is hypocritical and outrageous....the last bill the house passed asked for 2 things....a One Year delay on the Penalty, if as an individual you did not sign up to get Insurance and 2) that Members of Congress did not get Subsidies on their Health Insurance and were subject to the same effect as everyone else that the Health Care law is having....Is that so unreasonable that it shouldnt eve be discussed???? I work for an International Bank and My contribution to my Health care rose 30% this year.....and the firms part of my Premiums rose the same.

Great. Go for it! Pass bills to change it if thats what they want to do. I am all for it. Negotiate like reasonable people and fix the shortcomings of Obamacare. I think that would be great! HOWEVER, you do not first vote in laws then when it comes to paying for them refuse to allocate the money because a small faction of the minority party would like to extract concessions to meet its needs. Thats just BS. The RIGHT way to do it is, if the law is not a good one, not to pass it in the FIRST PLACE. Once its passed you either legislate a change or FUND IT. 

There is far too much in the way of polarization and far too little compromise. There was no need for the brinksmanship that the Republican representatives perpetrated on the country. They had ZERO chance of winning; and they got ZERO in the process. In the meanwhile they waited until midnight to finally do the right thing. I think the tea party should be marginalized along with the most liberal wing of the Democratic party and the more moderate elements of our government should start SOLVING problems instead of CREATING them. If he affordable health care act needs fixing, fix it. But it IS the law and it MUST be funded as long as its the law. Period.

I am trying not to talk Politics.....believe me but since you responded directly to me I will respond.....you should go back and read how our legislative process works.....A Law is a Law..agreed...but no law is written that decides how much money must or must not be allocated to whatever the law is for....that is decided annually through the prescribed Budget Process....No Congress is bound to spend on anything, which is why one congress can decide to build 100 aircraft carriers and the next can decide not to fund any money to do....Budgets and appropriations need to be done annually....which is where our issues come in....we are supposed to have a President who gives a Budget recommendation.....Obama has done this once in his 6 years and that Budget was considered in the Democratically controlled Senate and voted down 99-0....Each House of Congress is supposed to pass a Budget resolution...The repucblican controlled house has passed one each year....the Senate...Zilch.....without them, they take what was budgeted the previous year...add 5%.....and presto , the process you want the Republicans to follow is taken away from them....so the Republicans in the House pass Bill after Bill (again what you want and many with some Democratic support) to change the parts of Obama care they think is broken or delay the whole thing...and the Senate refuses to vote on it, and if they wont vote on it, of course they also wont negotiate it. As to your point, it shoudlnt have been passed in the 1st place....it was passed without one sigle vote from what you term the Minoroty party, which by the way is the elected by the people of the United States, MAJORITY Party in the House of Representatives, who by the way since the House is proportional represent a Majority of Americans....what they tried recently was poor politics, but it was based on the true fact that the people who sent them to Washington, beleive that thd health care law is hurting them with higher premiums(I know this has happened to me), lower hours and Loss of jobs.....so it is their duty to change it if they can...and since they are completely stonewalled by the other party in doing it the way you and the constituiton wants them to...should they just surrender and ignore the will of the majority of Americans who sent them there...or should they try and use the greatest Power the Consitution granted the House of Representatives....the power of the purse...a poor poltical move....but a patriotic one none the less. 

Actually, this is not true. In the 2012 election for House seats, 1.4 Million MORE Americans voted for Dems than Repubs; but due to gerrymandering, Repubs won the majority of the seats. That's your MAJORITY.,

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

To quote Bill Maher....the republican party is like the movie WEEKEND AT BERNIES. A rotting corpse being dragged around by the t-baggers.

You get your news from Bill Maher........that's all I need to know. Please get a clue.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I am on the Right so anything the Left says I will say is wrong, dead wrong. I am on the Left so anything someone on the Right says is automatically "Tee-Bagger". 

Sound familiar? Most of the posters on the board that talk politics are exactly like that. Pathetic.

Most of the nation is like that. Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same bad penny. Might as well call them Demicans and Republocrats for all the difference there is between them. Let's face it, congress is pretty much owned by lobbyists and the American people are at best poorly represented, if at all.

Edit:I shouldn't say most of thee nation. I don't know that. I should say the part of the nation that still cares. Sadly that's most likely a small percentage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I am on the Right so anything the Left says I will say is wrong, dead wrong. I am on the Left so anything someone on the Right says is automatically "Tee-Bagger". 

Sound familiar? Most of the posters on the board that talk politics are exactly like that. Pathetic.

Both fringe elements of both parties are keeping us from actually dealing with epically huge problems.  Both extremes make me sick.  I used to respect my party for loyal & principled opposition, but we have been reduced to, & continuously marginalized by a tea party which started out with a principled & well intentioned rational & intention.  The well intentioned tea party has now been hijacked by the brain dead blindly ideological political raw meat LOONS.  When you out LOON the LOONS on the Left, you deserve to be marginalized.  When you allow your party to be hijacked by the base bomb throwers from the ugliest section of your far right fringe you are going to lose the country you are trying to save.  When you cut off your politacal nose to spite your political face, you are the definition of a brain-dead ideologue.  When you allow, NO PROMOTE the nitwits like Sarah Palin & Ted Cruz to run for the highest positions of power in your party, you will lose this center-right country.  It takes an epically stupid effort to out marginalize the Nancy Peloci's & Harry Reids of the world, but our fringe is doing one hell of a job of doing exactly that.

1. Grow up Wingnuts.  I've always hated that term, but it seems apt.  I've always hated the term "teeeabagger,"  but if the tea party is stupid enough to allow their 20% fanatical fringe to define their once righteous & well intentioned movement, they deserve what they get.  When the vets are disgusted by you for hijacking their march on Washington, it's time to take stock. 

It's time the tea party started taking it's lead from the Charles Krauthammers & George Wills of the party.  The adult, principled, reasoned, smart, biting yet tempered political wing of the party.  OR.......   Keep chowing down that political RAW MEAT & marginalize our party further when this country needs a sane loyal opposition the most it has in the last 70+ years.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The Constitition gives sole power to the Congress on appropriations. There is "no law" that has to be "funded"by any House.

Once a law is passed its the law and its the obligation of our government to fund it. If they didn't want to pass the law then THAT is the time to religate it to obscurity. Its pretty stupid to pass laws that require money then not find the money to pay for them. I doubt thats the way its supposed to work. The fact of the matter is that 20% of the nation held the other 80% hostage with their outrageous demands. That should NEVER happen. I would have the same opinion if the ACLU, the unions, or AARP did that to the majority. All of them are fringe elements that need to be marginalized so progress can be made by the  more reasonable people in Congress. Harm was done to the economy to the tune of $24 billion dollars or so due to the extortion by the  tea party. Fortunately, the tea party took a ratings hit. I hope the House republicans have learned a lesson from this.

By the way, your post is too long. Nobody reads stuff that is that long. Get to the point and condense your rhetoric.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

softy or Ted Cruz?

Moon,  Is Cruz the bad guy here, no  but Obamacare will bankrupt ever state in the union

Cruz is a moron. Obama was right that the tea party idiots were trying to blackmail the county into giving them what they could not achieve through the legislative process. They lost, and they can't handle it.

Pumpsie...the House passing Bills to change or Repeal Obama care IS the Legislative process.....and the members of the House are not supposed to vote on what the Country wants , but on what the people of their district who they represent want(thus the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES)....we in the Northeast may disagree with what the people in thier district want, but thats the way the system is designed to work....Lawas are passed all the time and then later changed....Social Secuirty is the law of the Land.....but it has been changed by later legislative action numerous times...for the President to even refuse to discuss changes to the Healthcare Law, voted on and passed by a House Of Congress, when he himself has changed the law unilaterally(unconsitutionally by the way)...is hypocritical and outrageous....the last bill the house passed asked for 2 things....a One Year delay on the Penalty, if as an individual you did not sign up to get Insurance and 2) that Members of Congress did not get Subsidies on their Health Insurance and were subject to the same effect as everyone else that the Health Care law is having....Is that so unreasonable that it shouldnt eve be discussed???? I work for an International Bank and My contribution to my Health care rose 30% this year.....and the firms part of my Premiums rose the same.

Great. Go for it! Pass bills to change it if thats what they want to do. I am all for it. Negotiate like reasonable people and fix the shortcomings of Obamacare. I think that would be great! HOWEVER, you do not first vote in laws then when it comes to paying for them refuse to allocate the money because a small faction of the minority party would like to extract concessions to meet its needs. Thats just BS. The RIGHT way to do it is, if the law is not a good one, not to pass it in the FIRST PLACE. Once its passed you either legislate a change or FUND IT. 

There is far too much in the way of polarization and far too little compromise. There was no need for the brinksmanship that the Republican representatives perpetrated on the country. They had ZERO chance of winning; and they got ZERO in the process. In the meanwhile they waited until midnight to finally do the right thing. I think the tea party should be marginalized along with the most liberal wing of the Democratic party and the more moderate elements of our government should start SOLVING problems instead of CREATING them. If he affordable health care act needs fixing, fix it. But it IS the law and it MUST be funded as long as its the law. Period.

I am trying not to talk Politics.....believe me but since you responded directly to me I will respond.....you should go back and read how our legislative process works.....A Law is a Law..agreed...but no law is written that decides how much money must or must not be allocated to whatever the law is for....that is decided annually through the prescribed Budget Process....No Congress is bound to spend on anything, which is why one congress can decide to build 100 aircraft carriers and the next can decide not to fund any money to do....Budgets and appropriations need to be done annually....which is where our issues come in....we are supposed to have a President who gives a Budget recommendation.....Obama has done this once in his 6 years and that Budget was considered in the Democratically controlled Senate and voted down 99-0....Each House of Congress is supposed to pass a Budget resolution...The repucblican controlled house has passed one each year....the Senate...Zilch.....without them, they take what was budgeted the previous year...add 5%.....and presto , the process you want the Republicans to follow is taken away from them....so the Republicans in the House pass Bill after Bill (again what you want and many with some Democratic support) to change the parts of Obama care they think is broken or delay the whole thing...and the Senate refuses to vote on it, and if they wont vote on it, of course they also wont negotiate it. As to your point, it shoudlnt have been passed in the 1st place....it was passed without one sigle vote from what you term the Minoroty party, which by the way is the elected by the people of the United States, MAJORITY Party in the House of Representatives, who by the way since the House is proportional represent a Majority of Americans....what they tried recently was poor politics, but it was based on the true fact that the people who sent them to Washington, beleive that thd health care law is hurting them with higher premiums(I know this has happened to me), lower hours and Loss of jobs.....so it is their duty to change it if they can...and since they are completely stonewalled by the other party in doing it the way you and the constituiton wants them to...should they just surrender and ignore the will of the majority of Americans who sent them there...or should they try and use the greatest Power the Consitution granted the House of Representatives....the power of the purse...a poor poltical move....but a patriotic one none the less. 

Actually, this is not true. In the 2012 election for House seats, 1.4 Million MORE Americans voted for Dems than Repubs; but due to gerrymandering, Repubs won the majority of the seats. That's your MAJORITY.,

You are absolutely correct that in all House races Democratics received 1.4MM votes more than Republicans but to say that gerrymandering is the reason Rebublicans hold the Majority is MSNBC like craziness.....the reason for the 1.4MM difference and more,  is that the Democrats got 2.86MM votes more than Republicans in California alone, where Democrast won 38 of 53 seats and 1.9MM more Votes In NY, where Democrats won 21 of 27 seats....both very Democratic States. now run by Democratic Governors...take that out of the equation and 3.5MM more Americans voted for the Majority Party....so unless you are claiming the 21 Republican seats in California/NY were all due to Gerry Mandering, which still wouldnt cover the 33 Seat Majority...the Republicans having a Majoriity in the House is a good representation of the America.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

The Constitition gives sole power to the Congress on appropriations. There is "no law" that has to be "funded"by any House.

Once a law is passed its the law and its the obligation of our government to fund it. If they didn't want to pass the law then THAT is the time to religate it to obscurity. Its pretty stupid to pass laws that require money then not find the money to pay for them. I doubt thats the way its supposed to work. The fact of the matter is that 20% of the nation held the other 80% hostage with their outrageous demands. That should NEVER happen. I would have the same opinion if the ACLU, the unions, or AARP did that to the majority. All of them are fringe elements that need to be marginalized so progress can be made by the  more reasonable people in Congress. Harm was done to the economy to the tune of $24 billion dollars or so due to the extortion by the  tea party. Fortunately, the tea party took a ratings hit. I hope the House republicans have learned a lesson from this.

By the way, your post is too long. Nobody reads stuff that is that long. Get to the point and condense your rhetoric.

We know, lefties like to pass bills before reading them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

According to the annual kaiser family foundation employer health benefits survey, average premium for family coverage grew by $2,976 by the end of obama's first term.

Did you read the whole report?

The report says premiums went up 9%, sorry yours went up 40%, but the fact later stated was this...

"Since 2001, family premiums have increased 113 percent, compared with 34 percent for workers’ wages and 27 percent for inflation."

The increase has been about 10% for many years in a row now, under Bush and Obama.

Yes, Obama's promise have rang hollow, but blaming rate increases on Obamacare is hard to prove, since we don't know how much they might have gone up without it.

[/QUOTE]

It's not hard to prove at all.  Rates went up because insurance companies were preparing for obamacare.  

Under obamacare 

They knew about Obamacare in 2001, 2002, 2003....?

1. Plans can no longer impose annual or lifetime limits on how much health care coverage people may receive

2. they must offer dependent coverage for young adults until age 26.  Shouldn't these adults have jobs?  Under obama the recovery is very, very slow.  Maybe if the economy was better 26 year olds would have jobs with insurance.

3. unless grandfathered, health plans will aso be required to cover certain preventive care services at no cost.  This list goes on...

I never said I liked Obamacare or Obama. I never voted for him.

Who is going to pay for all this?  

We've been paying for the unisured all along anyways, but often paying more than needed, because they didn't get treatment until it was too late and more costly.

Who is going to pay for the uninsured.  Those of us who have jobs will.  Those of us who don't get any breaks on obamacare will.  We don't work on the hill and we are not union workers!

You are arguing against a strawman.

If this plan is so great why do our elected officials get a pass?  What about unions?  The unions, who backed it, want more breaks because they can't afford to insure their members under obamacare.  They will have to cut hours so they can have more part time employees.

A friend lost his job due to obama's sequestration.  His wife had to go on medicare.  She can't find a doctor to take her.  Doctors don't want medicare patients because of obamacare.

This is a bad program and the next ten years will prove it.

We'll never know how bad things would have been 10 years from now without Obamacare. We were heading towards a catastophe either way.

That's my point.

My insurance is going up 4% this year. That's the best I've seen in years. I've had to see "in netwrok" doctors for 8 years. I could choose my own, but pay way more and have a higher deductable. That was the same then and now.

I feel bad for people who got squeezed. Your case sounds drastic, and I'd be upset too. I wasn't happy when 6 years ago, my deductable went up from $500 to $1000 and my premium rose the next year by 15%, either. That was under Bush and the first year of Obama.  My wife didn't get a raise, because her company said their share of insurance went up so much, that that was her "raise".

No plan is perfect. No system is perfect, but certainly a system where anyone can not get the care they need is not the right system. It should be a basic right of any living person. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Biggest reason to oppose Obamacare is who is running it.  The Federal Government will screw it up sooner or later; they always do.  The special interests will come in, and carve out this exception or gain that benefit, and eventually the whole thing will get polluted.  It's already happened with the corporate mandate delay. 

Do we need to look any farther than the tax code to see this?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I read somewhere that Democrats would have to beat Republicans by over 5% this next election to win back the house.

Imagine if Democrtic state legislatures and Govenors rigged it this way? (Yes, they have in their controlled states, but you get my point.)

The majority of Americans voted for Obama the first time, knowing he was going to push for universal healthcare. They re-elected him again with healthcare as a major issue. They kept the Senate blue. They voted more blue than red in Hous eelctions too, but somehow a few people are in denial, and think the minority should hold the economy hostage, because Obama and the Dems would not "compromise" or "negotiate". 

Newsflash: Obama has gotten almost nothing he has wanted since Obamacare, and even that was not his plan. It was more like Hillary's plan or Mitt's old plan.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Biggest reason to oppose Obamacare is who is running it.  The Federal Government will screw it up sooner or later; they always do.  The special interests will come in, and carve out this exception or gain that benefit, and eventually the whole thing will get polluted.  It's already happened with the corporate mandate delay. 

Yes, and big insurance compaines have done such a great job managing costs and care all these years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I read somewhere that Democrats would have to beat Republicans by over 5% this next election to win back the house.

Imagine if Democrtic state legislatures and Govenors rigged it this way? (Yes, they have in their controlled states, but you get my point.)

The majority of Americans voted for Obama the first time, knowing he was going to push for universal healthcare. They re-elected him again with healthcare as a major issue. They kept the Senate blue. They voted more blue than red in Hous eelctions too, but somehow a few people are in denial, and think the minority should hold the economy hostage, because Obama and the Dems would not "compromise" or "negotiate". 

Newsflash: Obama has gotten almost nothing he has wanted since Obamacare, and even that was not his plan. It was more like Hillary's plan or Mitt's old plan.

Obama has gotten almost nothing because he refuses to acknowledge that the other side exists for anything other than bashing.  He held out an olive branch last night, but I am extremely skeptical that it was anything more than the usual rhetoric from him.

Reagan and O'Neill didn't agree on much philosophically, but they respected each other enough to know that nothing would get done without working together.  Going back further, Lyndon Johnson, both as Majority Leader and as President,  seldom went a day without talking to the Republican Leader, Everett Dirksen.  Johnson passed many things with Dirksen's help (the Civil Rights Act being the most prominent).  Clinton and Gingrich figured out how to work together.  Obama doesn't seem to want to try.  I live in Illinois and I am all too familiar with how Chicago politics work.  How Obama conducts himself is the classic Chicago political way of doing things.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

Shows your ignorance of how it works. For your education: most congressmen do NOT read bills in their entirety before they vote on them. They hire people to do that. This is true of both parties. A few congressmen do read the entire bill. Can you name any who did? Comments like yours certainly confirm what I already knew about you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Hanna Simone can def get the biz. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Let me assure you that the system was already broken before the Affordable Healthcare Act. I know. I am on the inside of it. I worked in ERs where lots of people went to receive primary care because they didn't have a doctor to go to. In the ER thousands of dollars in unnecessary tests can be ordered because ER doctors are not primary care doctors and feel the need for more tests and XRays to validate their opinion and to cover themselves legally. I hardly ever orderer lab tests on children because I had a level of experience that allowed me to feel very comfortable in most cases without them. And I ordered fewer medications than ER docs do too. Who do you think pays for those ER visits by the uninsured? Thats right: YOU. You pay for it through inflated insurance premiums charged by your carrier because of inflated hospital costs incurred in part by having to care for the uninsured. Obamacare is certainly not perfect; projects like this NEVER get it totally right the first time. But its a start. It will need to be tweaked and retweaked. I am relieved that finally someone has done something to cure a broken system.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

softy or Ted Cruz?

You are absolutely correct that in all House races Democratics received 1.4MM votes more than Republicans but to say that gerrymandering is the reason Rebublicans hold the Majority is MSNBC like craziness.....the reason for the 1.4MM difference and more,  is that the Democrats got 2.86MM votes more than Republicans in California alone, where Democrast won 38 of 53 seats and 1.9MM more Votes In NY, where Democrats won 21 of 27 seats....both very Democratic States. now run by Democratic Governors...take that out of the equation and 3.5MM more Americans voted for the Majority Party....so unless you are claiming the 21 Republican seats in California/NY were all due to Gerry Mandering, which still wouldnt cover the 33 Seat Majority...the Republicans having a Majoriity in the House is a good representation of the America.

Agreed, it's  not ALL due to gerrymandering; but yout justification for the MAJORITY is a stretch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

And yet, a good portion of the Right believes the Earth is 9000 yrs old; educational textbooks in Texas that say otherwise are banned; and the Left are low-information  voters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Shows your ignorance of how it works. For your education: most congressmen do NOT read bills in their entirety before they vote on them. They hire people to do that. This is true of both parties. A few congressmen do read the entire bill. Can you name any who did? Comments like yours certainly confirm what I already knew about you.

Care to share?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

And yet, a good portion of the Right believes the Earth is 9000 yrs old; educational textbooks in Texas that say otherwise are banned; and the Left are low-information  voters.

NH.....Pumpsie....Moon....I just want to  say that I respect your opinions on this and thus far have found any debate to be cordial and informational....I have a feeling we agree more than we disagree on whether a problem exists, just not on how it should be fixed and If the HealthCare helps or makes the problem worse.....thats why it was a bad political move on the Repubs part...their best political move is to let the Healthcare act fail, since they have staked out the opposition to it....that would have been in their best interest. The tea Party should have stuckl with what their core belief is....smaller government spending and lower taxes.....and if as is claimed the HCA drives up the deficit and Government spending....CBO estimates are more than double what was originally thought when passed...then agin they have staked out the right side politcally.

I have tried to stay away from Left/Right name calling....because though I consider myself a Fiscal Conservative, I am middle of the road if not left leaning when it comes to Govt involvement in Social Issues.....I would say I was a Libertarian, but they lose me on National Defense, as does the Military Right wing of the Republican Party.

Any responses you gave were filled with Facts as you know or believe them to be....and if our people in Washington could discuss issues on that basis rather than on Party Lines...we would be in alot better shape.

I do find it interesting that the posters who rely on factual information when posting about Baseball are the same who use Factual information when posting about Politics.....keep up the good work on all points guys.

Sections
Shortcuts