If you were to pick between Napoli and LaRoche,

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If you were to pick between Napoli and LaRoche,

Who would you want to see at our 1B in 2013?  Reportedly Sox are interested in both for 1 spot.  I personally want to see Napoli, who owns Fenway Park, at 1B rather than LaRoche if I were to choose between two.  But I still want Mauer at 1B. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: If you were to pick between Napoli and LaRoche,

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who would you want to see at our 1B in 2013?  Reportedly Sox are interested in both for 1 spot.  I personally want to see Napoli, who owns Fenway Park, at 1B rather than LaRoche if I were to choose between two.  But I still want Mauer at 1B. 

[/QUOTE]

Mauer?? Do you really think the Sox would trade players and assume his hefty contract, if by any chance he was available? I think not.

Speaking of the Twins...rumor has it that Morneau might be available...he's someone I'd be interested in.

My preference would be to see the Nats resign LaRoche and then sign a free agent OF like Bourn or Upton putting Mike Morse on the market. He's the guy I'd like to see playing 1B for the Sox. If Loney would accept a platoon role I'd sign him too to be a late inning defensive replacement for Morse.  BTW, Loney would also apply if the Sox signed Napoli.

But to specifically answer your question on this topic, I think I'd prefer LaRoche, for the following reasons:

1. He wouldn't neeed a defensive replacement as he has a great glove.
    2. His inside-out swing is suitalbe for Fenway and he's got some pop too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mauer?? Do you really think the Sox would trade players and assume his hefty contract, if by any chance he was available? I think not.

Speaking of the Twins...rumor has it that Morneau might be available...he's someone I'd be interested in.

My preference would be to see the Nats resign LaRoche and then sign a free agent OF like Bourn or Upton putting Mike Morse on the market. He's the guy I'd like to see playing 1B for the Sox. If Loney would accept a platoon role I'd sign him too to be a late inning defensive replacement for Morse.  BTW, Loney would also apply if the Sox signed Napoli.

But to specifically answer your question on this topic, I think I'd prefer LaRoche, for the following reasons:

1. He wouldn't neeed a defensive replacement as he has a great glove.
    2. His inside-out swing is suitalbe for Fenway and he's got some pop too.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see Sox go for Mauer either.  I just want to see Mauer in our middle of the lineup. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you meant Morneau, but between LaRoche and Napoli, it all depends on cost for each.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Boston Red Sox Rumors

Red Sox Have Mike Napoli On Their Radar By Mike Axisa [November 8, 2012 at 9:35am CST]

The Red Sox have Mike Napoli on their radar for first base, reports Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe (on Twitter). He also reiterates the team's interest in Adam LaRoche, and hears that Boston's rebuilding won't keep free agents away.

"We view Boston as a contender because they'll build team quickly. I doubt they'll have trouble attracting free agents," said a prominent agent to Cafardo (Twitter link).

Napoli, 31, hit .227/.343/.469 with 24 homers this season and is a year removed from a 30-homer, .320/.414/.631 performance. For what it's worth, he's a .306/.397/.710 hitter with seven homers in 18 career games at Fenway Park. Napoli has been primarily a catcher in recent years, but he also has plenty of first base and DH experience.

The Rangers did not make Napoli a qualifying offer, therefore teams will not have to forfeit a draft pick to sign him

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/boston_red_sox/index.html#3YRDA4plJBFhllSJ.99

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you meant Morneau, but between LaRoche and Napoli, it all depends on cost for each.

[/QUOTE]

No, I want Mauer, not Morneau.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Of course Morneau or Mauer is probably a better upgraded player than either Napoli or LaRoche at 1B.  But there is no way that the Twins would just take few cheap prospects in return.  They will ask for alot of good players in return.

Forget it, easy solution is to sign Napoli.  More right handed hitters in the line up, it is better for Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Mauer is making 23M per through 2018. The guy has a good avg and obp but hits less than 10HR a year. No thanks. Morneau for 1 year would be nice if it didnt cost a lot (prospects).

Laroche would be the better 1b between him and Napoli. Both contracts will probably be similar in years and $$$...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

LaRoche is the better player, but I'm not sure I would want to give up the draft pick needed to get him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LaRoche is the better player, but I'm not sure I would want to give up the draft pick needed to get him.

[/QUOTE]

LaRoche was not provided a qualifying offer by the Nats so he's a free agent without compensation like Napoli.

Plus, the Sox would not lose a 1st rounder for any free agent signed this year since their pick is in the top 7.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, I want Mauer, not Morneau.

[/QUOTE]

The Twins aren't paying the Minnesota Golden Boy to play for another team and there is zero chance the Sox take on that contract.  Morneau, who rakes at Fenway, is better option.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i would rather us go out and trade for a young 1st baseman than sign napoli or laRoche.

ike davis' name has been thrown around on the forum a lot and i also have Paul Goldschmit (sp?) on my radar. AZ is asking for the farm on J upton but we could give up considerably less for PG and have a young RH, slugger with good OBP and has been getting better every year.

hop to ben!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'd take LaRoche over Napoli.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"In terms of pure ability, LaRoche is the best candidate for the Red Sox. However, Napoli gives the team flexibility since he can play first base, catch and is willing to DH."

"Ultimately, the Red Sox will have to choose between one of the two, and although LaRoche seems like the best candidate, Napoli may be the play based on positional flexibility."

[/QUOTE]

I wonder where this was plagiarized from?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll take LaRoche and the Gold Glove [3yrs max]. Mauer sounds like something that would get RS back in trouble, another high priced player who's always hurt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Pointless discussion unless contract years and $$ are specifically considered.

Mauer?  I'm not sure I'd take him for free.  Seriously.  6 more years at $23m/year for a high OBP but low SLG (for a 1Bman which is what he is now) for a guy who has had significant injury problems already, including his back?  He's just not worth the money.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mauer?  I'm not sure I'd take him for free.  Seriously.  6 more years at $23m/year for a high OBP but low SLG (for a 1Bman which is what he is now) for a guy who has had significant injury problems already, including his back?  He's just not worth the money.

[/QUOTE]

As long as it's not baLoney I could live with either Napoli OR LaRoche or even Morneau, but I would like to thing long range here.  My first choice would be Ike Davis of the Mets, young and not that expensive.YET.  Just get someone not named Loney or Gomez

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As long as it's not baLoney I could live with either Napoli OR LaRoche or even Morneau, but I would like to thing long range here.  My first choice would be Ike Davis of the Mets, young and not that expensive.YET.  Just get someone not named Loney or Gomez

[/QUOTE]

Fred?  Fred?  Now we discussed this the other day, didn't we, Fred?  The Sox DID NOT trade for James Loney, they were forced to take him as a makeweight in the trade with the Dodgers to partially offset the salary the Dodgers were taking on from the Sox, particularly as AGon was to take his position.

The Sox did not want him, will not resign him, and it's silly for you to bang on about James Loney as if it was a mistake the Sox made.  So please cease and desist with the Loney comments.

;-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

LaRoche, for sure.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ike Davis broke his hand the other day moving furniture in his home. He is now considered a high risk. It will take six months for the injury to heal and then there is rehab.

[/QUOTE]

i thought ike davis' replacement fractured his hand which is why he was taken off the market. then again, someone from this forum said that and we know how well informed some people are....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

LaRouche...we need Lava getting his games in...not sharing with napoli...i remember that short time we had AL, he was darn imporessive and still have no idea what Theo was doing in that trade....

25. This post has been removed.