If you're over 50, how do you feel about today's MLB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Re: If you're over 50, how do you feel about today's MLB?

In Response to Re: If you're over 50, how do you feel about today's MLB?:
    In Response to Re: If you're over 50, how do you feel about today's MLB? : Every position except catcher (.780) had an OPS over .826! Of course, there are those that would stress the "unbalanced" nature of that offense: vs RHPs: .871 vs LHPs: .819 Home:  .951 Away:  .745 90 runs scored in April. 136 runs scored in Sept. 245 runs scored in June! Their median and mode runs scored per game was 6. They scored 10 or more runs 34 times (154 game sched). They scored 20+ runs 3 times! (29 once the day after scoring 20**) They averaged 1.14 runs in the first inning. They were 19-3 vs the St. Louis Browns and outscorred them 216-115! (almost averaging 10 runs per game.) ** 20 + 29 runs games : Vollmer  3-5 (2 HRs + BB)    1-7 (BB) Pesky     4-6                             5-7 Teddy    3-5  (BB)                   2-5 (2 HRs + 2BB) Steph.   4-6 (2 HRs)               3-5  (BB) Dropo   2-6  (HR)                    3-6  (BB) Zarilla   3-4 (2BB)                  5-7 Doerr    3-5  (BB)                    4-6  (3 HRs +BB) Tebb     1-3  (2BB)   /  Batts 2-6 (BB) Pitcher  0-5  (run & rbi)         2-3  (4BB)
    Posted by moonslav59

Great post, but I think you're concluding where you ought to be completing. You conclude that others might argue that the line-up might be unbalanced bc they scored just 90 runs in April and 245 in June. The complete information is they ONLY played 13 games in April,(6.9 runs) and then 29 in June, (8.45 runs). The problem with this team was the PITCHING!! and perhaps CERA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from copyul8. Show copyul8's posts

An observation regarding the durability and longevity of pitchers these days as well as the lack of depth of aces across MLB: you can thank the increased intensity and "professionalism" of the youth sports industry.  Being over 50, I remember while growing up, the top athletes among my peers (I was not one) playing whatever sport was in season, and it was not uncommon to see guys like Bob Gibson or Dave DeBusschere have opportunities to play professionally in more than one sport, meaning they would have been playing these through high school and college.  I know from experience with my own son that a child / youth athlete with higher level potential in multiple sports is usually forced to commit to one sport by high school if not sooner.  This falls disproportionately hard on promising young pitchers who get overworked between 12 and 18 for Legion and high school leagues, and begin relying on breaking balls before their arms are ready.  The number of kids getting Tommy John surgery before they turn 18 is staggering.  My sense is a lot of potential Koufaxes and Gibsons have had their arms blown out by the time they get to the minors.

BTW, as great as Koufax was, he takes a back seat to Pedey in his prime. Pedey put up sick numbers in the AL East, against DH-enriched lineups, during the height of the steroid era.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

An example of what has ruined the competiveness of modern American economy, Big Labor unions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Red Sox will spend over 50 million this year on starting pitchers, yet the entire Red Sox Nation is whining about needing starting pitching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And one absurd poster keeps lobbying to pay Tim Wastefield a million or two to squat on 2012 roster to allow paying fans to watch him fall flat on his face trying to get another half dozen or more wins. A 45 year old Labor Union bum who has a beer gut and is washed up. 

GM is now much more important than manager, unlike old days. Unfortunately, a half a billion later, the Red Sox are finally rid of the entertainment nepotisim hire who could only repeat "sunk cost".  

Value is in developing young talent and finding veterans who are FA with lower stock value or who are true young superstars. It is so easy an idiot could do it, but we will soon find if Cherry is also an idiot. So far, not bad, but he has yet to make the blockbuster trade that is needed to balance the roster out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

That's a funny thing about labor unions.  Everything they've ever gotten was agreed to by management, who must have thought they could give that and still make a profit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

the entertainment nepotisim hire

Who in Red Sox management was related to Theo Epstein? He more likely got the job due to his prior business association with Larry Lucchino. Nepotism is the hiring of relatives, period. There is no such thing as entertainment nepotism.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, it's too bad we can't make children work 70 hours a week anymore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I was thinking about this last night. Do you realize that baseball is the only major sport that has kept the majority of the rules intact, since it's inception?
    Other than the DH and the lowering of the mound in, '65 was it?, there hasn't been any significant change for 70 years.

I do not like the DH rule, reminds of me of softball. The nine players on the filed should be the 9 that come to the plate.

The business aspect is now in the forefront, and the love for the game has taken a hit because of it. It's not as much America's pasttime as it once was, and the gulf between players and fans has widened tremendously because of the salaries.

I suppose there is still that comraderie between fans and players at the minor league levels, as I shall soon find out. Pensacola has gotten  AA affiliate from the Reds, and I look forward to spending some summer evenings at our new stadium once it opens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Hope that you enjoy the Blue Wahoos this summer.http://www.pnj.com/article/20120101/NEWS01/201010328/2011-Story-Year-Pensacola-Blue-Wahoos

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

ahhhh, the good ol days.  The good ol' days.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Good Old Days

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Hope that you enjoy the Blue Wahoos this summer. http://www.pnj.com/article/20120101/NEWS01/201010328/2011-Story-Year-Pensacola-Blue-Wahoos
    Posted by UticaClub

Yeah, not crazy about the nick-name.
    We had a semi-pro team here for years, the Pelicans. A lot of people will hate to see them go but semi-pro is not pro.

Too bad Greenville is not AA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Today's game is much, much different.

They play more games in a shorter time frame.  The mound is lower.  There are more teams, which means there are fewer pitchers to chose from. 

Didn't Cy Young pitch 2 complete games in a double header?  He once had a record of 36-10.  And he pitched until he was 44.

And regarding pay, anything the players don't get goes to the owners.

Why do people begrudge a working man making a large salary but don't have problem with a rich man's investments earning him money hand over fist?  You work to become the best in your field, people complain that you make too much.  Hire the same guy and make even more money off him, and no one says anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

He more likely got the job due to his prior business association with Larry Lucchino. Nepotism is the hiring of relatives, period. There is no such thing as entertainment nepotism.

Wrong. Epstein most definitely got the job in San Diego as a result of his entertainment relatives who knew Tom Werner, you captious cud. There is no such thing as corpsemen. "Nepostism" is from Latin root word for nephew, which includes relatives who are not related by blood. Theo is most certainly a entertainment nephew who was gifted a baseball job be virtue of entertainment relatives.

Bottom line, name the GM who spent almost a half a billion dollars and didn't win a single playoff game and finished 3rd two out of the 3 years that cost almost a half a billion dollars.

And Moonslug, child labor is like talking about legality of prostitution in the United States back when there was no running water! 

Big Labor in modern America is orgainzed crime and produces some of the most worthless people that mankind can produce. Our current Corpseman President represents these "something for nothing from other people" mentality.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

List of businessmen who were called robber barons

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

The major problem I see in baseball now as opposed to the 80's and before, are that the agent's have more say or control of what happens between the lines than the manager's.
    In today's game, the player's agent controls how many  pitches he wants his player to throw, how much rest they should have, and in general does not to risk overuse[more than 200 innings per year.] After all using a pitcher to much or allowing him to throw more that 100 to 115 pitches per game, could in their minds constitute overuse and the risk of injury, thus the agent may potientally lose a player who would command a large salary, thus the agent would lose a client and a big paycheck themselves.
    It's not that the player of today is any less than the player of a few years  ago[actually the player's of today are in much better shape when coming to spring traing than they have ever been.]
    It's the money that the agent is protecting, and their large paychecks that the player will produce for the agent. The agent has become the major voice in today's game, and that is unfortunate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Is it that binary. The agent is fully 100% responsible for how much a pitcher is used. If that is the case then we don't need trainers,  coaches, dugout decisions, FO decisions, and conditioning coaches and medical staff and diagnostic equiptment. Surely you have tongue-in-cheek on this statement.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I meant what I said Uticaclub, the agent dictates to the teams in different forms as to how they want their investments used, just as in other fields of business when we hire consulants for ourselves or turn over business or money matters over to someone who will protect our investments, so does the agent protect their assests and becomes the major player and makes and dicates what and how he wants his investments handles.
    The agent is much bigger and has more say in on field decisions than we would expect. I not saying that it is right or should be that way, just that it is that way in today's game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: If you're over 50, how do you feel about today's MLB? : Correct on every count. I would also add the increasing raritiy of 20-game winners. And the increasing rarity, or impossibility, of winning the Triple Crown. Yaz was the last - 1967 - 45 years ago, but who's counting? Pitchers...again, I often wonder how Sandy Koufax would have done if he were playing today.   Or is the answer to the question self-evident?  -- And here, Vinc Scully calls the 9th inning of his perfect game against the Cubs - "29,000 people and a million butterflies." http://www.archive.org/details/VinScullyCallsThe9thInningOfSandyKoufaxsPerfectGame Others have pitched perfect games since then, and Nolan Ryan has more no-hitters, but still - in 1963, with a bad elbow, he started 40 games, had 306 Ks, and had a 25-5 record with an ERA of 1.88. (No, that's not a typo.)   Yikes. We shall not see the likes of Mr. Koufax ever again.   But I digress.
    Posted by summerof67

Summer,

Koufax was clearly a great pitcher, but I think we did see the likes of him in Pedro Martinez....his 1999 season of 23-4 2.07 ERA 313K's and 37bb in 213 innings followed by his 2000 season of 18-6 1.74 ERA 284K and 32bb in 217 innings....all in a DH league....are more than comparable to Sandy's best years. Pedro's ERA+ in 1999 and 2000 was 243 and 291 respectively, Sandy's ERA+ in 1963 was 188.  So for me Pedro was the greatest pitcher I have ever seen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctinok. Show ctinok's posts

We talk about 200 innings as a standard.  It is the standard for the baseball of my youth.  The baseball of today is a different game.  Several factors play into this, in my opinion, and as I survey the posts, we appear to be talking about some of the causal factors that have led to the increasing rarity of this standard.  We have MLB expansion, the increase in the number foreign players, MLB as a business (as opposed to a sport), players as commodities, and the Billie Bean factor coupled with the DH in the AL.
    That’s a lot of change for the game to absorb.  On the whole, players are more physically fit.  Loyalty gave way to commodity on the part of the owner and the players.  Salaries are up in all sectors of the entertainment industries, movies, music, and sports.  Why should MLB be any different?
    Base has always been a game of numbers and statistics.  Billie Bean took it to another level.  We see the Red Sox using varying metrics to make player decisions.  Nothing is 100 percent, but different numbers provide insight into the value of a given player. 
    MLB is truly international.  While MLB expansion watered down the available talent in my youth, the globalization of MLB has increased the talent pool. 
    I find the DH exciting.  Giving the pitcher an easy out (not many pitchers are Babe Ruth) makes baseball less exciting to me.  We can debate the merits of the DH, but I for one feel the NL needs to join the fun. 
    The DH impacts pitchers in the AL.  Unlike their NL counterparts, AL pitchers must work their way though stronger line-ups with hitters like the Youk wearing them down. 
    All of these trends, taken collectively, have dramatically changed how the game of baseball is managed and played.  20 game winners are scarce.  200 inning pitchers are also scarce.  Pitching is getting more specialized with middle relievers becoming more attractive.  Consider Wakefield for the past few season and Aceves last season. 
    For me, it has changed for the better.  And old standards, while still relevant, are showing their age.  The game has changed forever.  There is no going back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

He more likely got the job due to his prior business association with Larry Lucchino. Nepotism is the hiring of relatives, period. There is no such thing as entertainment nepotism . Wrong. Epstein most definitely got the job in San Diego as a result of his entertainment relatives who knew Tom Werner, you captious cud. There is no such thing as corpsemen. "Nepostism" is from Latin root word for nephew, which includes relatives who are not related by blood. Theo is most certainly a entertainment nephew who was gifted a baseball job be virtue of entertainment relatives. Bottom line, name the GM who spent almost a half a billion dollars and didn't win a single playoff game and finished 3rd two out of the 3 years that cost almost a half a billion dollars. And Moonslug, child labor is like talking about legality of prostitution in the United States back when there was no running water!  Big Labor in modern America is orgainzed crime and produces some of the most worthless people that mankind can produce. Our current Corpseman President represents these "something for nothing from other people" mentality.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

That is not "nespostism" or "nepotisim" mr. spelling challenged. His job with the Red Sox had nothing to do with any kind of nepotism, actual, or the product of your fevered imagination. That's the job you were talking about, not his lowly job for the Padres. Please get it straight. 

Sections
Shortcuts