IF...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

IF...

IF Valentine stays another year, and IF Matsuzaka would accept a 1-year deal with incentives and a mutual 2nd year option (or maybe 2-years with a 3rd year option), does anyone here think the Sox should consider re-signing the Dice man? 

Personally I think that when he is healthy he is a good #3 or #4 starter.  If Lackey is somewhow traded or released, the Sox will be extremely thin on experienced starters, especially RH starters.  I would at least explore it, if I were Ben.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: IF...

I believe they will sign him at around 1 to 3 mil

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to IF...:
    [QUOTE]IF Valentine stays another year, and IF Matsuzaka would accept a 1-year deal with incentives and a mutual 2nd year option (or maybe 2-years with a 3rd year option), does anyone here think the Sox should consider re-signing the Dice man?  Personally I think that when he is healthy he is a good #3 or #4 starter.  If Lackey is somewhow traded or released, the Sox will be extremely thin on experienced starters, especially RH starters.  I would at least explore it, if I were Ben.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

See. There's one of the opportunities I was talking about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

He may want to go back to Japan.  If Farrell returns to Boston to be the manager, there is no way Dice-K signs to play for Boston again.  If the Sox don't sign him, I can see him in a Yankee uniform and doing well under Rothschild and Girardi.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

No to Dice K.......there are other capable #3 and #4 starters...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Who?  And at what cost?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

As I noted on an earlier thread about this .....if Dice K would accept a reasonable salary....3MM+ range.....he is a perfectly acceptable part of the rotation. Cook is getting that type of money and I would take Dice over Cook anyday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

What negatives does Kalish have that he is brought up again. He cant hit the ball to 2nd base. Why not bring up Jerry Sands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In Response to Re: IF...:
    [QUOTE]As I noted on an earlier thread about this .....if Dice K would accept a reasonable salary....3MM+ range.....he is a perfectly acceptable part of the rotation. Cook is getting that type of money and I would take Dice over Cook anyday.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

me too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]No to Dice K.......there are other capable #3 and #4 starters...
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?  There are more teams that doesnt have a capable #3, #4 and #5 starting pitchers!!   That is why too many teams are trying to find a pitcher at the trading market as well via waiver.  Not too many were picked up.  

Boston will not find too much capable #3, #4 and #5 pitchers via free agency.  Dice K would be a better option than having Cook or Morales.  Morales is better off to go back to the bullpen as a long reliever.  

Rotation for next season could be:Bucholtz, maybe an ACE via trade, Lester, Lackey, Droubront and Dice K.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]What negatives does Kalish have that he is brought up again. He cant hit the ball to 2nd base. Why not bring up Jerry Sands.
    Posted by ArtWikle[/QUOTE]

Kalish is on the 40-man roster, Sands is not. 

In fact, since the minor league season ends in a week, there is every possibility that the Sox just told him head on home, we'll see you in spring training.  Same with all the guys acquired.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF... : Kalish is on the 40-man roster, Sands is not.  In fact, since the minor league season ends in a week, there is every possibility that the Sox just told him head on home, we'll see you in spring training.  Same with all the guys acquired.
    Posted by illinoisredsox[/QUOTE]

It was not Ben's intention to get anyone to help the team this year, he already quit on them. The only reason they got Loney was that the Dodger's had no use for him anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

And wanted to divest themselves of his contract.

I am pretty sure Sands is now in Portland and they have plans to use him in Pawtucket for the playoffs.  No one is being sent home early.

As for finding other fairly cheap but capable #3 or #4 starters, I am still waiting to see a name that fits that bill.  There are a few #3 or #4 type starters in the FA pool, and they all will likely go for more than Dice-K earns now.  If Dice will accept a cut in pay and an incentive-laden deal, he should definitely be considered.