Igelias to replace Ciriaco?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Igelias to replace Ciriaco?

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Think about it. Iglesias has to play in the majors by next year or he's gone. They originally signed him to a mlb contract if I remember correctly so his time in the minors is limited more than usual. He's gone if he is not in the majors next year. Ciriaco has not been playing well. We might as well see what we have got in Iglesias and at least audition him for a trade. Drew is on a one year deal.  It sure would help matters if Iglesias stepped up and took over at SS. We have invested a lot in Iglesias and he should be a good defensive replacement at least. He definitely was stellar defensively for us. 

Play him at 3rd for 4-5 games, and maybe at 2nd some and then bring him up. Release Ciriaco if things don't change quickly. I like this move.

Hes not a FA until  2019. 4yr deal, then pre arbitration, then arbitration

2010 20 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000     2011 21 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000     2012 22 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000 contracts   2013 23 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000     2013 Status Pre-Arb Eligible, Earliest Arb Eligible: 2016, Earliest Free Agent: 2019 Career to date (may be incomplete)$8,240,000    

He has to be in the majors next year or he's gone. He signed a major league contract originally, which limits how long he can be in the minors. We have control over him but he must be on the 25 man roster in order to maintain that beyond this year. It was a deal similar to Willy Mo Pena's. He will play for us next year or be traded. 

Oh, I though he just had to be on the 40-man roster. thanks Boom. I didnt know that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

When is S. Drew ready to start. He's currently a glorifed 10 million dollar UIF'er.

Look at the utility infielder splts for S. Drew:

BA  .225  OBP .326  SLG .387  OPS .703

That 10 million is really paying off. Imagine what would have happened if they just went with the 2M UIF"er option, Iglesias, and put the 10M towards the starting pitcher budget. The Red Sox were terrible until S. Drew came off the DL.

What does this thread have to do with Drew?

Can't Iggy and Drew both be bad?

I dont think either one is bad - just one however is 30, oft injured, hasnt hit .280 since his third year in the majors, signed for only one year, and has no future with the sox

My point was more about the fact that it seems impossible to assess Iggy without people talking about Drew.  The assessment of each player stands on its own.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

When is S. Drew ready to start. He's currently a glorifed 10 million dollar UIF'er.

That 10 million is really paying off. Imagine what would have happened if they just went with the 2M UIF"er option, Iglesias, and put the 10M towards the starting pitcher budget. The Red Sox were terrible until S. Drew came off the DL.

I dont think either one is bad - just one however is 30, oft injured, hasnt hit .280 since his third year in the majors, signed for only one year, and has no future with the sox

My point was more about the fact that it seems impossible to assess Iggy without people talking about Drew.  The assessment of each player stands on its own.

When we traded Scutaro (a shortstop who played hard EVERYDAY with INJURIES for two seasons) the justification was that yea he was  a gamer but his contract was too expensive...its funny how Moon hasn't figured out yet that SDrew is costing us more with much less production/duribility than marco (who as we know won a title and was pennant MVP after the trade)  

i guess Sdrew money isnt factored in when discussing team signings, but marco's was....i understand now....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When we traded Scutaro (a shortstop who played hard EVERYDAY with INJURIES for two seasons) the justification was that yea he was  a gamer but his contract was too expensive...its funny how Moon hasn't figured out yet that SDrew is costing us more with much less production/duribility than marco (who as we know won a title and was pennant MVP after the trade)  

i guess Sdrew money isnt factored in when discussing team signings, but marco's was....i understand now....

Marco couldnt play an adiquate ss anymore with his shoulder. He could barely make the throws to 1b in his last days here and hes been at 2b since. There wasnt a spot for him, so he was moved along with his 6M. It wasnt so much about money.

They also had much more payroll flexability this year as well. They are at 155M then add about 10M for insurance and they still have about 12-13M to spend.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Igelias is playing third at Pawtucket now. Why would he learn a position that is filled by the team leader in HR or than to come off the bench for him. Ciriaco has had a tough season maybe this is the plan?

INTERESTING thought Joe........... Could it be, a trade may be in the works ????  I think a lot of teams would like to have Ciriaco ......

I think this is 100 trillion dollar Bill's greatest-ever post.  I actually have a 100 billion dollar note....Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe, y'know.  It's not a bragging point, it's the few 100 trillion dollar Zimbabwean notes that have more than sad/goofy/talking point value.

Ciriaco has virtually no value.....obviously.  To some....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Marco couldnt play an adiquate ss anymore with his shoulder. He could barely make the throws to 1b in his last days here and hes been at 2b since. There wasnt a spot for him, so he was moved along with his 6M. It wasnt so much about money.

They also had much more payroll flexability this year as well. They are at 155M then add about 10M for insurance and they still have about 12-13M to spend.

Forget Marco - just compare Drew to the man he replaced, Mike Aviles - compare their averages, games played, etc and then look at their salaries...Aviles is making 2 mil a year and outperforming Drew....what a joke that signing is....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

.we are supposed to blindly cheer for this guy and ignore his overall performance with 10 game selected samples..

Try his 28 day sample size.

Yes, I root for all our players.

Yes, i want Iggy as our FT SS as much as you do.

You root for all our players?  What kind of craziness is that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Scutaro only played 113 games in 2011.  Do you follow the RS even a little?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Forget Marco - just compare Drew to the man he replaced, Mike Aviles - compare their averages, games played, etc and then look at their salaries...Aviles is making 2 mil a year and outperforming Drew....what a joke that signing is....

Pssst, Aviles has only 4 starts this year at SS.  Do you even follow BB?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

georom - Are you forgetting the fact that the Rockies also dumped him because he wasn't producing in Colorado? He won those after the second trade. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

georom - Are you forgetting the fact that the Rockies also dumped him because he wasn't producing in Colorado? He won those after the second trade. 

Not to mention that anyone who mentions the "ring" factor should be quietly ushered into the "Silvera / Loscutoff" room, tied down and issued a drool bucket.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Scuturo's money was an issue because they needed to sign an OFer and a SP. A bit different ths time around, no?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Scuturo's money was an issue because they needed to sign an OFer and a SP. A bit different ths time around, no?

Shane and Gomes arent outfielders?

and this year they also needed to sign a pitcher because their starters were horrible....what is the point? you have needs every year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would be all fo iggy replacing ciriaco, at least iggy would play good d, he may not hit much better than ciriaco but pedro is a butcher in the field. i bet you were to look at his number of errors in relation to games played he would be one of the highest in the league. drew has had a few good games, but for the most part has not hit well and is not as good as iggy defensively. time to give iggy a shot. .219 avg now for drew, so we paid 10 mill for a guy who is worse defensively and has been worse offensively than iggy? money well spent.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Shane and Gomes arent outfielders?

and this year they also needed to sign a pitcher because their starters were horrible....what is the point? you have needs every year

They were maxed out last year. I think I remember some trade in August that spent some payroll to LA but I could be mistaken. The Sox passed on Kuroda and had to sign Cook because Kuroda wanted 10m. Ross was a decent signing but was impossible without the Scuturo trade. You can't compare not being able to spend on Scuturo and being able to spend on Drew.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I will at the end of the season. nothing to compare after just less than 2 months

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i would be all fo iggy replacing ciriaco, at least iggy would play good d, he may not hit much better than ciriaco but pedro is a butcher in the field. i bet you were to look at his number of errors in relation to games played he would be one of the highest in the league. drew has had a few good games, but for the most part has not hit well and is not as good as iggy defensively. time to give iggy a shot. .219 avg now for drew, so we paid 10 mill for a guy who is worse defensively and has been worse offensively than iggy? money well spent.....

Drew has less errors than Iggy and even though hes still having a bad year so far by his standards, its still better than what Iggy is doing against AAA pitching.

Its a long season. to compare numbers in may is useless

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Iggy's defense is better than Drews hands down.

We got Drew for his offense, and yes I know the numbers don't look good but it's still may people.  Is it uncommon that basebally players get off to slow starts? actually I'd say it's common that they DO! 

FWIW in May (slightly more than have his PA) Drew has a line of .274/370/.854 avg/obp/ops.  With 3 HR and 12 RBI's

That's a pretty good line, and thats good productivity for someone who bats at the bottom of a weak lineup.  Yes it's not MVP, elite, jump off the page good stats, but if Drew can put up numbers like that for the rest of the year then I'd feel we got our money's worth out of him for one year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Iglesias had zero errors with the B. Red Sox, in 2013. Surely, you aren't going to compare minor league numbers?

Pretty simple math. Budget the 9.5M to 10M elsewhere and pinch hit as needed for Iglesias. The sad thing is that they have no intention of pinch hitting for the lightweight 2:1 strikout to BB ratio S. Drew because they hired him for 10M to slug. S. Drew's current OPS Is hoving near the 600's. The move made zero sense on the FA contract offer front.

And Drew has 1 error.  So what?

Drew could hit .450, hit 40 homers, both drive in and score 150 runs, and in his spare time cure cancer and rebuild Moore, OK, and you would still consider it a bad signing beause of his last name.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Iglesias had zero errors with the B. Red Sox, in 2013. Surely, you aren't going to compare minor league numbers?

Pretty simple math. Budget the 9.5M to 10M elsewhere and pinch hit as needed for Iglesias. The sad thing is that they have no intention of pinch hitting for the lightweight 2:1 strikout to BB ratio S. Drew because they hired him for 10M to slug. S. Drew's current OPS Is hoving near the 600's. The move made zero sense on the FA contract offer front.

And Drew has 1 error.  So what?

Drew could hit .450, hit 40 homers, both drive in and score 150 runs, and in his spare time cure cancer and rebuild Moore, OK, and you would still consider it a bad signing beause of his last name.

I don't know why folks respond to this idiot.

It's the same act, day after day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Defensive numbers are better to compare than offensive numbers when dealing with MLB vs MiL. Defense is defense no matter where, but offense deals with a much better quality of a pitcher your facing in MLB vs MiL.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts