Igelias to replace Ciriaco?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Igelias to replace Ciriaco?

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

When is S. Drew ready to start. He's currently a glorifed 10 million dollar UIF'er.

Look at the utility infielder splts for S. Drew:

BA  .225  OBP .326  SLG .387  OPS .703

That 10 million is really paying off. Imagine what would have happened if they just went with the 2M UIF"er option, Iglesias, and put the 10M towards the starting pitcher budget. The Red Sox were terrible until S. Drew came off the DL.

What does this thread have to do with Drew?

Can't Iggy and Drew both be bad?

I dont think either one is bad - just one however is 30, oft injured, hasnt hit .280 since his third year in the majors, signed for only one year, and has no future with the sox

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

When is S. Drew ready to start. He's currently a glorifed 10 million dollar UIF'er.

That 10 million is really paying off. Imagine what would have happened if they just went with the 2M UIF"er option, Iglesias, and put the 10M towards the starting pitcher budget. The Red Sox were terrible until S. Drew came off the DL.

What does this thread have to do with Drew?

Can't Iggy and Drew both be bad?

I dont think either one is bad - just one however is 30, oft injured, hasnt hit .280 since his third year in the majors, signed for only one year, and has no future with the sox

Oft injured?

What a joke.

Other than his famous ankle incident....he spent 2 time on the DL in his career.

Please check your facts before you ramble on.

You know that's not going to happen.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Igelias is playing third at Pawtucket now. Why would he learn a position that is filled by the team leader in HR or than to come off the bench for him. Ciriaco has had a tough season maybe this is the plan?

I would guess its the only reason Iggy is at 3B.  If he learns the position Ciriaco could then become expendable.  More than likely part of a package deal to another club if possible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Igelias is playing third at Pawtucket now. Why would he learn a position that is filled by the team leader in HR or than to come off the bench for him. Ciriaco has had a tough season maybe this is the plan?

I would guess its the only reason Iggy is at 3B.  If he learns the position Ciriaco could then become expendable.  More than likely part of a package deal to another club if possible.

I like that thinking......  A "PACKAGE DEAL" IS WHAT WE NEED........  AKA "BLOCKBUSTER" !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Try his 28 day sample size.

Try his 2013 sample. Or, try his career sample. Or, try his 2011 and 2012 sample.

"28 day sample", "28 days" to say what about a 10 million dollar a year SS who has a closed book because of a giant career cample.

Try his 28 day sample size, indeed. Which 28 day sample! LOL!

Better than trying the one game sample size you used earlier today.

Look, I'm not a Drew fan. I have wanted Iggy as our FT starter longer than you, but I don't need to distort Drew's offense to make my point.

I have you down for thinking Drew is worse than the average MLB SS on offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Don't use logic, Geo, do this:

"Try his last 28 days sample"

Only softy and geo think a 10 game sample is more informative than a 21 game sample.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

You make too much sense Softy...we are supposed to blindly cheer for this guy and ignore his overall performance with 10 game selected samples....i know I for one am really grateful that this guy is a one year rental and i look forward to vehenmently voicing my support for ben's next risk-aversion signing next year for ss.....meawhile why havent we tried Iggy yet again?

Drew has an .850 OPS over his last 24 games.  And 17 RBI in that stretch.  His numbrrs only look bad if you include the 9 games immediately following his return from a concussion.  The Sox went 6-3 in those 9 games, too.  So his time to return to form did not exactly hold the team back.

History has also shown that when the Sox do NOT make a "risk aversion" signing, no one complains louder than georom.  There is just no pleasing some people

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

You make too much sense Softy...we are supposed to blindly cheer for this guy and ignore his overall performance with 10 game selected samples....i know I for one am really grateful that this guy is a one year rental and i look forward to vehenmently voicing my support for ben's next risk-aversion signing next year for ss.....meawhile why havent we tried Iggy yet again?

Drew has an .850 OPS over his last 24 games.  And 17 RBI in that stretch.  His numbrrs only look bad if you include the 9 games immediately following his return from a concussion.  The Sox went 6-3 in those 9 games, too.  So his time to return to form did not exactly hold the team back.

History has also shown that when the Sox do NOT make a "risk aversion" signing, no one complains louder than georom.  There is just no pleasing some people

To softy and geo, those 9 games are somehow worth more than the 24.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

This is a discussion of Circiaco and Igelias. Lets try to leave Drew out of this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Finally someone w/ some common sense. Drew should have been given some more time on rehab assignment after concussion, he wasn't ready. Drew has been very good in the mos. of May. RS have bigger issues than SS right now, a lead off hitter that can get on base, a healthy RF [not one who plays 6 games then sits out 3, healthy closer, consistency from Doubront, getting Middlebrooks going are all more pressing than SS right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from haste. Show haste's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

A sub .200 hitter is being replaced by another likely sub .200 hitter?  Iggy is hitting near .200 for PawSox.  That won't solve anything.  Sox need Middlebrooks, Gomes and Ellsbury to start hitting.  That is what they need.

Add one other need to your list---Drew.  The bottom and top of our lineup is a piece of cake for any decent pitcher!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Finally someone w/ some common sense. Drew should have been given some more time on rehab assignment after concussion, he wasn't ready. Drew has been very good in the mos. of May. RS have bigger issues than SS right now, a lead off hitter that can get on base, a healthy RF [not one who plays 6 games then sits out 3, healthy closer, consistency from Doubront, getting Middlebrooks going are all more pressing than SS right now.

He couldnt be given more time. When your on the concussion DL, once your cleared to play you can only have 5 games on a rehab assignment before you have to return.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Drew needs more time? To do what? he is what he is - an avg ballplayer at best making 3x the MLB average...I'm thinking Ben owes him a favor or something to concoct this idiotic contract with Iggy already in the fold...

btw he has only  hit .280 or above 2x in his entire career (last time in 2008) and has not played 100 games or more since 2010 and just 4/8 seasons...

obviously SDrew has some sort of blackmail going on with these numbers to get what he got...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

DFA and waivers are two different procedural matters.

I projected S. Drew to have a slightly better than career averages because of the Fenway factor. I was wrong, he's much worse than I feared when I denounced the 10 million contract he was offered.

In that close game, last night, anyone have any confidence in S. Drew's plate prowess? Instead of the strke out, his best bet was to bunt and pray for a fielding error.

he is hitting .288...377 obp in may

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

georom4 - I'm not a big fan of Drew, but your comments are skewed and although true, you don't give the reasons.

1. Yes, he hasn't hit above 280 since his 3rd year, but that is a high average and in 2010 and 2011 he hit .261 and .278 respectively.

2. He was injured in 2011 and 2012, so yes, he hasn't played above 100 games cine then, but, when you saw he hasn't played 100 games or more in just 4/8 seasons, you are counting his rookie year when he was brought up later in the year and hit .316, and you are counting THIS YEAR. No one has played over 100 games this year.

STOP BLOWING SMOKE

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

S. Drew should be the UIF"er, except that managment foolishly decided to pay him 10 million to be the starter despite his last 2 seasons.

Surely there must be a team out there who needs a SS bad enough to pay the remaining balance on S. Drew.

Iglesias to replace S. Drew, S. Drew to be traded or replace Ciriaco. That sounds about right.

when did drew start earning 10m....whay not say 9m

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew has an .850 OPS over his last 24 games

So, which is it, the 28 game sample, the 24 game sample, or:

His career sample, or his last 2.25 years sample.

Try Reading Comprehsion 101.

It's 28 days and 24 games. See if you can figure out how that can be true. They are not mutually exclusive of each other.

BTW, his career sample size places him as above average on offense among MLB SSs.

Even his last 2.25 years are better than Iggy's 2.25 ML numbers.

That's the only point I'm making, but you can't see the forest through the trees.

Iggy is a better SS. He should be starting, but your distortions about Drew's offense is making our case for Iggy look bad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Think about it. Iglesias has to play in the majors by next year or he's gone. They originally signed him to a mlb contract if I remember correctly so his time in the minors is limited more than usual. He's gone if he is not in the majors next year. Ciriaco has not been playing well. We might as well see what we have got in Iglesias and at least audition him for a trade. Drew is on a one year deal.  It sure would help matters if Iglesias stepped up and took over at SS. We have invested a lot in Iglesias and he should be a good defensive replacement at least. He definitely was stellar defensively for us. 

Play him at 3rd for 4-5 games, and maybe at 2nd some and then bring him up. Release Ciriaco if things don't change quickly. I like this move.

Hes not a FA until  2019. 4yr deal, then pre arbitration, then arbitration

2010 20 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000     2011 21 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000     2012 22 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000 contracts   2013 23 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000     2013 Status Pre-Arb Eligible, Earliest Arb Eligible: 2016, Earliest Free Agent: 2019 Career to date (may be incomplete)$8,240,000    

He has to be in the majors next year or he's gone. He signed a major league contract originally, which limits how long he can be in the minors. We have control over him but he must be on the 25 man roster in order to maintain that beyond this year. It was a deal similar to Willy Mo Pena's. He will play for us next year or be traded.