Iggy and his Ego

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Iggy and his Ego

"The more self centered and egotistcal  a guy is, the better ball player he's going to be"- Bill Lee.

Isn't this what's going on with Iggy? Here's a guy with an ego so big, he's bored at AAA. He scoffs at the Sox FO for wasting $9M on the Drew signing. He moves over to 3B and plays it like he just invented it. He lets Scot Boras be his agent, because that's who the best players use. He gets $8M from the Red Sox before he puts on his jock strap. Big Ego.

His play this year is showing the world what he already knew, he's darn good. In Boston, there's a new GREEN MONSTER; Iggy's ego.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Iggy and his Ego

I never have any problems with a guy having a big ego.

There is no doubt that Iggy is backing it up, I am hoping for a Bogaerts/iggy left side of the infield next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

There is no doubt that Iggy is backing it up, I am hoping for a Bogaerts/iggy left side of the infield next year.

Yup, I doubt there are many good players out there that don't have an oversized ego.

It's what helps drive them to be the best.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

bingo   !!!!

Hey...  why don't I chime in with my usual  bingo !!!!  so I can pump up my post totals.  I am so awesome!!  14,874...  14,875... 14,876.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The ego definitely bothered me, but he has delivered the goods this year.  I disagree he has reinvented 3B or SS for that matter.  I don't even see those spectacular run-saving, game-winning plays we were told would happen on a weekly if not a daily basis.

But he is great fun watching.  Like throwing from his knees at 3B and making a perfect throw, belt-high, right over the bag at 1B.  Ditto from the 3B line, same deal.  And, when he played SS, he needed to make a really quick throw to get the DP and it was like a blur.  Iglesias is a very special player with a glove on. 

No question he has been lucky on a bunch of hits, but it is also true his approach at the plate has improved dramatically and he almost always gets wood on the ball plus he has an eye for getting walks.  The over .400 average is a fluke, but .300 looks doable.  Time will tell.  Meanwhile, Farrell definitely wants to play him every day or close to it, especially when Middlebrooks and Drew are struggling so much at the plate, although Drew is improving.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If you're not convinced you're one of the best in the world, you're probably not going to do well in the mlb.

You definitely want a guy to have the ultimate confidence that they ARE & always will be a superstar, as without that confidence, cockiness, chutzpah, ego.....  they will never attain greatness.

You certainly don't want the guy SHOWING his cockiness to the world in some in your face way, but I want to hear a young kid say, "I know I can and will do this.  I know I can be one of the best to ever play the position.  I know there are questions as to whether or not I can continue to be a great hitter, & the answer is absolutely YES!  I will have slumps, but I can hit the hell out of the ball!!!!  I'm going to prove to the Sox every day that I'm way past ready for the bigs!  They will never be sorry for keeping me with the big club.  I'll respect whatever they decide, but I never want to go backward again.  I'm here to stay!  Just give we the shot to prove myself day in & day out, & I will earn my spot every day!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

[QUOTE]

bingo   !!!!

Hey...  why don't I chime in with my usual  bingo !!!! so I can pump up my post totals.  I am so awesome!!  14,874...  14,875... 14,876.......

[/QUOTE]

He's on the right thread.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I don't have a problem with a player having an ego and being cocky.  As others have said, a player needs a degree of that to be successful in the bigs. 

However, that ego should never become larger than the team, as Iggy's apparently did for a brief time when he was in AAA.  When/if it does, then it becomes a problem.

A player also doesn't need to be running his mouth about how they're going to kick another team's butt, etc.  That type of thing almost always backfires.  Let your play on the field do the talking.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I don't have a problem with a player having an ego and being cocky.  As others have said, a player needs a degree of that to be successful in the bigs. 

However, that ego should never become larger than the team, as Iggy's apparently did for a brief time when he was in AAA.  When/if it does, then it becomes a problem.

A player also doesn't need to be running his mouth about how they're going to kick another team's butt, etc.  That type of thing almost always backfires.  Let your play on the field do the talking.

Agree.

An ego -- a healthy ego -- is fine. I would say all great players have one. When a player adds a sense of entitlement to that ego, then there's a problem. And that's what I fear with Iggy.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt based on what I've read that part of his problem was not understanding the system, that playing at the top level in Cuba isn't the same as playing at the top level in the U.S. and there has been some youthful growing pains.

His attitude in Pawtucket was worrisome. He hit .118 last September and was hitting just over .200 in Triple-A and he thought he deserved to be in the majors based on six good games in April. That smacks of an entitled spoiled brat.

But like I said, I'll cut him a break because of his youth and he was smacked down by the manager in Triple-A, so hopefully he's learned his lesson. But if that crops up Boston, then fans and posters like geo and bill should want to run him out of town like they did Beckett.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to youkillus's comment:

"The more self centered and egotistcal  a guy is, the better ball player he's going to be"- Bill Lee.

Isn't this what's going on with Iggy? Here's a guy with an ego so big, he's bored at AAA. He scoffs at the Sox FO for wasting $9M on the Drew signing. He moves over to 3B and plays it like he just invented it. He lets Scot Boras be his agent, because that's who the best players use. He gets $8M from the Red Sox before he puts on his jock strap. Big Ego.

His play this year is showing the world what he already knew, he's darn good. In Boston, there's a new GREEN MONSTER; Iggy's ego.

I agree, if you don't believe in yourself and carry that positive attitude onto the field every day you end up like Middy is today.  A player who has some natural ability that can learn/mature from previous mistakes will at the very least be like Nava or better. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The term BIG EGO should never be confused with self-confidence.

Fans love a player with self- confidence ( along with love of the game, exuberance and hustle). Examples include: Bobby Orr ( the biggest star with the most humble attitude I have ever seen), Dustin Pedroia, Wayne Gretzky, John Havlicek, Steve Grogan, Gary Carter, Larry Bird and Hank Aaron.

Fans dislike a player with a cocky attitude, belief that they are bigger than the game, and belief that they do not have to hustle on every play. They believe the world revolves around them. Examples include: A-Rod, LeBron James, Chad Johnson ( Ochocinco) , Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Terrel Owens.

Pedro Martinez always brought extreme belief in himself to the mound, he had a swagger that he earned. Off the mound he seemed a bit more reserved, however not one to shun the spotlight ...as he liked to talk almost as much he liked to pitch. However, I never felt Pedro was extremely arrogant....just confident that he could beat any team on any given day. If not for his self confident attitude , I doubt Pedro could have continued to pitch well after losing his fastball.

So, are we actually talking about "EGO" here , or self-confidence?

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

The term BIG EGO should never be confused with self-confidence.

Fans love a player with self- confidence ( along with love of the game, exuberance and hustle). Examples include: Bobby Orr ( the biggest star with the most humble attitude I have ever seen), Dustin Pedroia, Wayne Gretzky, John Havlicek, Steve Grogan, Gary Carter, Larry Bird and Hank Aaron.

Fans dislike a player with a cocky attitude, belief that they are bigger than the game, and belief that they do not have to hustle on every play. They believe the world revolves around them. Examples include: A-Rod, LeBron James, Chad Johnson ( Ochocinco) , Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Terrel Owens.

Pedro Martinez always brought extreme belief in himself to the mound, he had a swagger that he earned. Off the mound he seemed a bit more reserved, however not one to shun the spotlight ...as he liked to talk almost as much he liked to pitch. However, I never felt Pedro was extremely arrogant....just confident that he could beat any team on any given day. If not for his self confident attitude , I doubt Pedro could have continued to pitch well after losing his fastball.

So, are we actually talking about "EGO" here , or self-confidence?

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

A couple of interesting lists.  On your don't hustle list you include Lebron James, and that's just not true.  If he were just the best scorer, you might have a point, but he also leads his team in assists and rebounds and probably in minutes played.  A-Rod and Barry Bonds both worked hard up until age 30, and A-Rod even after that when he went to the Yankees and willingly moved to 3B so Jeter could stay at SS.  A-Rod liked the money a lot of course, but he really wanted a WS ring.   His problem, like Clemens, is not that he didn't hustle or work hard at the game, but rather that he cheated, which is very different. 

On our own team we have a player who routinely does not run out grounders and who rarely plays in the field.  I would argue, however, he is encouraged to sprint only when it's necessary and to play 1B only in NL parks. 

It is very unusual, on the other hand, for a AAA player not to run out grounders, which is exactly what Iglesias did, and that is why his manager benched him for at least a couple games.  It's OK for an all-star still hitting like gangbusters, but not for a wannabe who at the time had a problem with his hitting, but never with his glove. 

Let's not forget that Iglesias, as confident as he no doubt is and was, could not hit worth diddly last season.  It was bad enough to cause the Sox to go after Drew.  This year Iglesias looks very confident at the plate and usually gets a piece of the ball and strikes out infrequently. 

Make no mistake.  As far as I am concerned, all is forgiven.  The kid is absolutely amazing in the field and has earned the right to be a little cocky, and the hitting doesn't hurt either. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

simply put, if you can talk the talk and walk the walk,,,,well? As far as I'm concerned this kid is really looking to me as the 2nd coming of the wizard of oz!!!!! now, if only he can learn to do a backflip.....lol......ego be damned. iggy is as natural and good as jacoby is out in centerfield.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Forgive the nuanced speculation, but, perhaps 'Big Ego' is a little too-broadstroked and wide-of-the-mark to describe Jose's petulance at Pawtucket.  I think that it might have actually been his feelings of fear and vulnerability that fueled his malcontent return to AAA. 

Iggy had been languishing in an unconfortably slow developement (in proportion to his talent, expectation, and giant bonus).  His feet were put to the fire last year, with heat from both sides:  the rising of Boegarts and the signing of Drew.  And he was struggling with the back injury to boot.   He was feeling the pressure.  So, he got his act together, shacked up with pedey this winter and got to work.  And he came out blazing.  So, when the club demoted him, I imagine he felt great confusion, as well a nagging sense of Why-do-I-have-to-prove-myself-again?? I imagine he felt like things were finally going well for him and he had the rug pulled out from under him.  So, was he petulant?  Yes.  But, I think he was just young and confused.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

don't think it will be too big a problem, i think it's safe to say the Sox have enough vets to keep his head right....like DP giving Doubront a small verbal kick in the pants yesterday...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

bingo   !!!!

Hey...  why don't I chime in with my usual  bingo !!!! so I can pump up my post totals.  I am so awesome!!  14,874...  14,875... 14,876.......

He's on the right thread.

That's a bingo!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

No offense meant but if we are comparing Iggy and his ego to Drew and his lack of lateral movement,I would have to side with Iggy's ego as a choice to stay around. Sorry Drew but you are not an elite SS. Above average but definately not worth 9.5 mil per season. Something about the limited mobility and the .210 BA tells me I'm probably pretty close to right with my assessment.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I had firmly believed that Iggy would never, seriously never, play to his full potential in the minors.  Does he have an ego?  From everything I've seen yes.  Is it a problem sized ego....  Mula...  Jjinja mula....  But it is an ego.  Now that he has been put in a poisition where he feels he is being utilized, he is no playing to his full I guess.  Works for the Sox, works for me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

On our own team we have a player who routinely does not run out grounders and who rarely plays in the field.  I would argue, however, he is encouraged to sprint only when it's necessary and to play 1B only in NL parks. 

It is very unusual, on the other hand, for a AAA player not to run out grounders, which is exactly what Iglesias did, and that is why his manager benched him for at least a couple games.  It's OK for an all-star still hitting like gangbusters, but not for a wannabe who at the time had a problem with his hitting, but never with his glove. 

Let's not forget that Iglesias, as confident as he no doubt is and was, could not hit worth diddly last season.  It was bad enough to cause the Sox to go after Drew.  This year Iglesias looks very confident at the plate and usually gets a piece of the ball and strikes out infrequently. 

Make no mistake.  As far as I am concerned, all is forgiven.  The kid is absolutely amazing in the field and has earned the right to be a little cocky, and the hitting doesn't hurt either. 

A1 Post!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Ego, for certain; but maybe precocious is closer to the mark.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

bingo   !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Really?  Bill uses bingo when he agrees, what is so wrong with that?  Some people use +100, I usually use "agree".  Why don't you let up a little, ok?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Healthy ego is one thing, pouting is another.  In order to help the team you need to be a team player, iggy has some growing up to do.  I'm sure dusty will give him some pointers.Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Healthy ego is one thing, pouting is another.  In order to help the team you need to be a team player, iggy has some growing up to do.  I'm sure dusty will give him some pointers.Wink

TW had an ego the size of the Grand Canyon, could pout with the best of the Hollywood beauties of the day, not averse to "giving the arm" to the left field fans, and hit .406. He also bought my wife and I lunch in a small New Hampshire Inn when I went over to his table and told him I was a big fan.

I hope Iggy has a big game against Colorado tonight, and I would have pouted, too, if I had been sent to the boonies in spite of the fact nobody could get me out!

Sections
Shortcuts