Iggy and Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Iggy and Middlebrooks

Iggy is hitting 195, with no extra base hits and 2 errors in 11 games.

On the other hand Middlebrooks is tearing it up at 333 with 3 homers in 48 at bats.

Obviously it is early but it might be that we see Middlebrooks up before we see Iggy. With all the talk about Aviles being a liability he is starting off fine while Youk is in a tailspin.  I am not talking anytime soon obviously, but youk might actually be pushed hard by a prospect for the first time.  I don't see Iggy pushing anyone for time this year.  Just like last year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Re: Iggy and Middlebrooks

Where would Middlebrooks play?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Iggy and Middlebrooks:
    [QUOTE]Where would Middlebrooks play?
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

I was thinking he could pitch the 7th.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

LOL!

youk is making too much monies to bench him. hes just off to a slow start, he will rebound pending he doesn't get hurt (*knock on wood*).

it would be great if we could package him with salty and get a lights out closer so aceves can do what he does best, eat innings and sit people down

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Middlebrooks had a .930 ops last time I looked too. The kid is raking so far this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]Middlebrooks had a .930 ops last time I looked too. The kid is raking so far this year.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

So let him rake in AAA. It does no one any good to have him sitting on the bench with Boston right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

yeah nothing can really be done with him until youk is gone. youk makes too much to sit on the bench so either he gets traded or we don't pick up his option before middlebrooks plays in the MLB

oh yeah and if youk goes on the DL middlebrooks will probably get the nod. although i'd like to see his plate discipline get better before i commit to him

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The operative phrase in the OP is "it's early."  Way too early to bring up Middlebrooks.  Youk is getting that big salary because he has delivered in the past, specifically, a career OPS of .879.  In 2008, 2009, and 2010 his OPS's were all over .950.  Last year it was .833, still better than we can expect from Middlebrooks.  It's way too early to give up on Youk. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Middlebrooks is not going anywhere.  Youk will be gone before this season ends.  I don't think his option will be picked up.  I understand many of you saying "oh youk is just have a rough start".  It's true he's just having a rough start but it is a very rough one and should be concerned.  He's not just doing bad offensively.  He's swinging and missing on bad pitches.  His greatest power was his patience at the plate, works and wears out pitchers, drawing walks etc.. He's not doing any of it and instead he's swinging and missing on bad pitches and even fastballs right in the middle.  Bobby V could be right on this one that Youk's swinging is not what it used to be..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Youk's sample set is really small. It is encouraging that Middlebrooks is playing well in AAA. It is disappointing that Iggy could not hit water falling off a boat still.

Personally I am more concerned about the bullpen in the longer view of the next 45 days than 3B or SS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Middlebrooks is not going anywhere.  Youk will be gone before this season ends.  I don't think his option will be picked up.  I understand many of you saying "oh youk is just have a rough start".  It's true he's just having a rough start but it is a very rough one and should be concerned.  He's not just doing bad offensively.  He's swinging and missing on bad pitches.  His greatest power was his patience at the plate, works and wears out pitchers, drawing walks etc.. He's not doing any of it and instead he's swinging and missing on bad pitches and even fastballs right in the middle.  Bobby V could be right on this one that Youk's swinging is not what it used to be..
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

We said exactly the same thing about Ortiz's swing last year and the year before--"he's lost his swing, strikes out a lot, etc, etc."

Maybe Youk is through, but I think it's a little early for that pronouncement.  The two best hitters on this team right now aren't Pedroia and AGon, but are Ortiz and Sweeney. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Youk's sample set is really small. It is encouraging that Middlebrooks is playing well in AAA. It is disappointing that Iggy could not hit water falling off a boat still. Personally I am more concerned about the bullpen in the longer view of the next 45 days than 3B or SS.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Yes.. We could explore trades to get a strong BP help or two using Youk and Salty. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy and Middlebrooks : We said exactly the same thing about Ortiz's swing last year and the year before--"he's lost his swing, strikes out a lot, etc, etc." Maybe Youk is through, but I think it's a little early for that pronouncement.  The two best hitters on this team right now aren't Pedroia and AGon, but are Ortiz and Sweeney. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree.  But the thing for Youk is that he's also struggling defensively.  Every time he dives, I'm worried he would get injured. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy and Middlebrooks : Yes.. We could explore trades to get a strong BP help or two using Youk and Salty. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Youk is owed few bucks this year, Sox would have to eat some of it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I didn't insinuate this was going to happen anytime soon.  I was just making the point that if in late July Youk his hitting 230 with 6 homers and Middlebrooks is over 300 with 12 homers at AAA for the first time Youk could be pushed for a job.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm going to need a lot more than 12 games to convince me that Middlebrooks is better than Youk.  Based on their careers, or even last year, I don't think he's even close.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

1) I agree Middlebrooks is closer than Iggy - and may actually be close - to the bigs.
    2) I agree the sample sizes are small, but the situation is worth watching.
    3) If - and it's a big IF - Youk doesn't turn it around (and I think he will unless he's hurt) and Middlebrooks is called up and plays well I don't see why Youk would have to go.  Unless he would cause problems because he was replaced, we'd have an RHP mini platoon for Agon and Papi, a backup 3B man, and an RH PH bat on the bench.  Financially, Youk's essentially a sunk cost and Middlebrooks would cost a pittance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't insinuate this was going to happen anytime soon.  I was just making the point that if in late July Youk his hitting 230 with 6 homers and Middlebrooks is over 300 with 12 homers at AAA for the first time Youk could be pushed for a job.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

snakeoil - Middlebrooks hit his 5th HR today. If he's still in AAA by then, it will be well over 12 HR's. If he continues hitting, he'll be up by June 1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

It's not the offense, it's the defense!
    The better move would be to shift Aviles to 3B and bring Iggy up. Better left side all around and no loss of offense.
    Sometimes, guys who rake in AAA can't hit when they get promoted. And sometimes guys who aren't hitting in AAA, rake when they get promoted.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

[QUOTE]It's not the offense, it's the defense! The better move would be to shift Aviles to 3B and bring Iggy up. Better left side all around and no loss of offense. Sometimes, guys who rake in AAA can't hit when they get promoted. And sometimes guys who aren't hitting in AAA, rake when they get promoted.
    Posted by harv53[/Quote

Is there a good Officers Club on the Navy Base there in Pensacola. You, Bill-806, and Alibi Ike will have a great time together discussing your decades in the Navy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy and Middlebrooks : snakeoil - Middlebrooks hit his 5th HR today. If he's still in AAA by then, it will be well over 12 HR's. If he continues hitting, he'll be up by June 1.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Interesting point i.e. exactly what defines a player's arb/FA clock & Super 2 status (does that still exist?).   I'm on record about wanting to protect the 4th/7th year of a top young player's career by delaying their MLB debut unless there is a crisis demanding the "early" promotion of that prospect.

Anybody know the calculation?  I know there is a service time issue, but also a "Super 2" issue that does/did exist that was a bit nebulous vis a vis other young players meeting/missing the deadline.

I'll try to find it, but jump in if you know it.  Bottom line: bringing up a Middlebrooks 2 days before the deadline would be asinine as you'd lose a year of control.  Bringing him up 2 months before the deadline if Youk was disabled for 2 months might make sense. 

Let's u/s the rules.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy and Middlebrooks : Interesting point i.e. exactly what defines a player's arb/FA clock & Super 2 status (does that still exist?).   I'm on record about wanting to protect the 4th/7th year of a top young player's career by delaying their MLB debut unless there is a crisis demanding the "early" promotion of that prospect. Anybody know the calculation?  I know there is a service time issue, but also a "Super 2" issue that does/did exist that was a bit nebulous vis a vis other young players meeting/missing the deadline. I'll try to find it, but jump in if you know it.  Bottom line: bringing up a Middlebrooks 2 days before the deadline would be asinine as you'd lose a year of control.  Bringing him up 2 months before the deadline if Youk was disabled for 2 months might make sense.  Let's u/s the rules.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

The date is sometime in May (11th?). Living in Chicago this was a big deal a couple of years back with Starlin Castro. Even though they wanted him up, they waited until like May 11th so that his clock wouldn't start.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

According to Wikipedia, this is the definition of a Super Two

has at least two years of major league service but less than three, AND is among the top 17 percent for cumulative playing time in the majors in this class of players, AND was on an active major-league roster for at least 86 days in the previous season.

So with many teams trying to avoid a Super Two, you do not know exactly when the date will be.  I remember them talking about this last year in Seattle with Dustin Ackley.  

Sections
Shortcuts