Iggy at AAA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Iggy at AAA

Hitting 204, with a 568 OPS, and is leading the team in errors.

Oh and he was benched for having a bad attitude and refusing to run out ground balls.

I think it is getting close to the time thay iggy is becoming more of a suspect than a prospect.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: Iggy at AAA

The next Hanley Ramirez.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

The Sox don't know it yet, the next Luis Apraciao !!!!!

Did Aparicio get benched in the minors for not running out grounders too?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I know there are some that could care less if he bats .200 and has an obp below .280, but I dont think  his defense is good enough to compensate for that. Although he will make a bunch of highlight reels, Iggy will also 'kick the pooch" on a number of routine plays.

8M, he hasnt proved he can hit yet, and has an attitude because hes not in MLB yet. Things arent looking good for Iggy right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Thank God we signed Drew.  Who's our next SS, Xander?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Thank God we signed Drew.  Who's our next SS, Xander?

Bogy, Marrero, Vinicio are the next 3 in line. Not sure if Bogy will stick there though. Marrero looks to be a solid and steady SS so far. Nothing fancy, just steady both offensively and defensively.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Your statement reminds me of a similar claim, when in 1956, the same year that Aparicio began his career with the White Sox, Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey boasted that "Buddin can become one of the top ballplayers of his time."

I guess when knowledgeable baseball people start looking to the future, there is just no telling what will come about.

But since you brought up Aparicio, let’s take a moment to look at a few of his accomplishments.

In 1956, Aparicio led the American League in stolen bases, assists, and putouts, and won both the Rookie of the Year and The Sporting News Rookie of the Year awards. He was the first Latin American player to win the Rookie of the Year award.

In 1959 Aparicio finished second to teammate Nellie Fox in the American League Most Valuable Player Award balloting.

And along the path of a brilliant 17-year career, he compiled a record of excellence that qualified him for the Hall of Fame.

However, after joining the Red Sox at the tail end of his career, he did have a few dubious distinctions.

In 1971, Aparicio was one at bat away from tying the longest Major League hitless streak for non-pitchers held by Bill Bergens with 45, set in 1909 with Brooklyn Superbas, by going without a hit in 44 at bats.  Aparicio then hit a grand slam home run against the Indians in Cleveland and then led off a night game at Fenway with another home run.  He hit for a career low .232 batting average that year.  

So my question is, are you projecting Iglesias to perform as did the Aparicio of 1956 or the Aparicio of 1971?

Nice chatting with you Bill.

Happy trails.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Your statement reminds me of a similar claim, when in 1956, the same year that Aparicio began his career with the White Sox, Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey boasted that "Buddin can become one of the top ballplayers of his time."

I guess when knowledgeable baseball people start looking to the future, there is just no telling what will come about.

But since you brought up Aparicio, let’s take a moment to look at a few of his accomplishments.

In 1956, Aparicio led the American League in stolen bases, assists, and putouts, and won both the Rookie of the Year and The Sporting News Rookie of the Year awards. He was the first Latin American player to win the Rookie of the Year award.

In 1959 Aparicio finished second to teammate Nellie Fox in the American League Most Valuable Player Award balloting.

And along the path of a brilliant 17-year career, he compiled a record of excellence that qualified him for the Hall of Fame.

However, after joining the Red Sox at the tail end of his career, he did have a few dubious distinctions.

In 1971, Aparicio was one at bat away from tying the longest Major League hitless streak for non-pitchers held by Bill Bergens with 45, set in 1909 with Brooklyn Superbas, by going without a hit in 44 at bats.  Aparicio then hit a grand slam home run against the Indians in Cleveland and then led off a night game at Fenway with another home run.  He hit for a career low .232 batting average that year.  

So my question is, are you projecting Iglesias to perform as did the Aparicio of 1956 or the Aparicio of 1971?

Nice chatting with you Bill.

Happy trails.

You forgot one other bad moment for Aparicio with the Red Sox. In 1972, he fell rounding third base and he and Yaz, who was running behind him ended up on third together. That cost the Sox a run and the game against the Tigers, which also cost them the AL East as the Sox finished a half game out because of the strike.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Hitting 204, with a 568 OPS, and is leading the team in errors.

Oh and he was benched for having a bad attitude and refusing to run out ground balls.

I think it is getting close to the time thay iggy is becoming more of a suspect than a prospect.

Hello from Honduras! 

Its time to think about packaging the next Aparacio for someone worth his weight. Iggy stinks; his attitude stinks too. I would be happy to include him in a package for a prospect who is worth something-if we can dupe some GM into trading for him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

You forgot one other bad moment for Aparicio with the Red Sox. In 1972, he fell rounding third base and he and Yaz, who was running behind him ended up on third together. That cost the Sox a run and the game against the Tigers, which also cost them the AL East as the Sox finished a half game out because of the strike.

Yeah Roy, you are absolutely right about Aparicio's base running blunder in '72.  It slipped my mind, until you reminded me.  I would imagine, however, that every HOFer has a blunder in his career that he would like to forget.  And this was probably one that Luis prefers to forget. 

I think you'll probably agree however, after witnessing some of the more recent base running blunders of higher paid players than Luis, it's time to give him a 'pass' on that miscue. Cool 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The next Julio Lugo.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's tough to assess his attitude from here, but I think he'll be a decent player for us.  I look forward to seeing him , Vazquez, and JBJ up the middle over the next couple of years.  I know the posters in here have a habit of making decisions on SSS, but Iggy has gone from a has-been, to a top-tier player, back to a has-been oin a matter of maybe 3 months.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to SandfordsSon's comment:

Ciriacco  is the 25th player on the active roster. He is versatile, athletic, can steal,  can play nearly every position. Today he made a throwing error. No big deal.

I was a fan boy for Ciriacco the past couple of seasons, but no more.

I can abide a batting slump, but forgetting how to throw the baseball in the bigs is unforgivable. The idea of beaning baserunners would be comical if it weren't so sad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Iglesias has a bright future as MLB SS. No surprise that his demotion was resented, as it should have been. S. Drew is a terrible value and has problems showing up for work.

Classic softy. Iggy should be resentful and was justified in acting out like a child.

I"ve noted that most posters like the S. Drew signing and project either he or Bogearts,  Vinico & Marreo are ahead of Iglesias on the SS depth chart.

Who here has placed all these guys ahead of Iggy?

I wanted Iggy not Scutaro in 2011. I wanted Iggy not Aviles in 2012. I wanted Iggy not Drew in 2013. But, I also said that if Ben is not going to allow him to ever have a real shot at the FT job, he should have been traded while his stock was still relatively high.

Now, should the Red Sox just write off the terrible 8 million waste on a bad attiude player who kicks the pooch and hasn't proven he can hit like the current 10 million dollar player with a good attitude who is solid fielder, too. I'm laughing.

I doubt that.

Spread the word, Iglesias has a bad attidue and won't run out grounders. He's never going to prove he can hit, and he leads the AAA team in errors. Thank goodness the Red Sox paid 10 million for S. Drew, who shows up for work everyday ready to do whatever management decides to do with him. 

I've noted your new position as a poor attempt at sarcasm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Ciriacco  is the 25th player on the active roster. He is versatile, athletic, can steal,  can play nearly every position. Today he made a throwing error. No big deal.

He's made six errors already and we are only into Mid-May---and that is with him still mainly a utility player.  He is also hitting now under the Mendoza line.  As for Iggy, his attitude is a red flag and we should all know by now that the guy is a weak hitter and weak enough at the plate that it will never make up for whatever he does in the field.  Wait for Bogey.  He will be with us within two seasons.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

He's made six errors already and we are only into Mid-May---and that is with him still mainly a utility player.  He is also hitting now under the Mendoza line.  As for Iggy, his attitude is a red flag and we should all know by now that the guy is a weak hitter and weak enough at the plate that it will never make up for whatever he does in the field.  Wait for Bogey.  He will be with us within two seasons.

Bogaerts will be moved to 3B or 1b by next year.

Sections
Shortcuts