Iggy back on the DL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Iggy back on the DL

Iglesias has is now back on the DL, this time with a concussion.  I didn't see how it happened, so I welcome input on that.  Last year it was a wrist injury that derailed shortened Iggy's season, depending on the severity of the concussion, this has the potential to do the same.

Let's hope that Navarro can show that he's capable of covering SS next year, at least in a backup role.  If Iggy misses significant time with his concussion, I can't see him being ready for 2012.

Lowrie/Navarro for the start of 2012?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Iggy back on the DL

http://www.necn.com/07/05/11/Iglesias-placed-on-DL-after-beaning/landing_sports.html?blockID=539226&feedID=3352

Jose Iglesias, widely regarded as the Red Sox' shortstop of the future, suffered a concussion Sunday when he was beaned by Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's Andrew Brackman and was placed on the International League's seven-day disabled list by the Pawtucket Red Sox.

Iglesias lay on the ground for several minutes after being hit by the pitch, but was able to walk off the field under his own power. According to the Providence Journal, preliminary testing was encouraging.

Iglesias spent two weeks with the Red Sox earlier this season when Marco Scutaro was injured. He is hitting .227 for the PawSox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotironskillet. Show hotironskillet's posts

He got hit with a pitch in the back of his head, right behind his ear. He went down immediately and didn't move for a while and then they flipped him over and he still didn't move for a bit. He finally got up with help and got off the field. You can read more about it here

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Bummer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Iggy back on the DL:
    http://www.necn.com/07/05/11/Iglesias-placed-on-DL-after-beaning/landing_sports.html?blockID=539226&feedID=3352 Jose Iglesias, widely regarded as the Red Sox' shortstop of the future, suffered a concussion Sunday when he was beaned by Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's Andrew Brackman and was placed on the International League's seven-day disabled list by the Pawtucket Red Sox. Iglesias lay on the ground for several minutes after being hit by the pitch, but was able to walk off the field under his own power. According to the Providence Journal, preliminary testing was encouraging. Iglesias spent two weeks with the Red Sox earlier this season when Marco Scutaro was injured. He is hitting .227 for the PawSox.
    Posted by JB-3

I saw a replay of his injury on NESN.  It definitely isn't good to see anyone get this type of injury.  I would imagine that he may be out longer than a week. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CDANUTS. Show CDANUTS's posts

In Response to Iggy back on the DL:
    Iglesias has is now back on the DL, this time with a concussion.  I didn't see how it happened, so I welcome input on that.  Last year it was a wrist injury that derailed shortened Iggy's season, depending on the severity of the concussion, this has the potential to do the same. Let's hope that Navarro can show that he's capable of covering SS next year, at least in a backup role.  If Iggy misses significant time with his concussion, I can't see him being ready for 2012. Lowrie/Navarro for the start of 2012?
    Posted by JB-3

\
    \
    This guy is so vastly overated its comical
    He is so bad with the bat its a joke .IMHO he needs at least 3 years at A ball to get a hang on how to hit a ball.
    Being ready for 2012 you mean what .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppysox. Show poppysox's posts

at least somone here knows how bay the so called iggy is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppysox. Show poppysox's posts

at least somone here knows how bad the so called iggy is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotironskillet. Show hotironskillet's posts

Iglesias is young, not very big, and missed a considerable amount of AA time due to his hand injury last year. He's not hitting well, no, but I think he is no where near the top of his potential. He will never be a power hitter but he has been working with the hitting coah in Pawtucket to refine his swing and get a better read on the ball. Ready for 2012? Probably not, but it is way too early to count him out entirely.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

Iglesias is young, not very big, and missed a considerable amount of AA time due to his hand injury last year. He's not hitting well, no, but I think he is no where near the top of his potential. He will never be a power hitter but he has been working with the hitting coah in Pawtucket to refine his swing and get a better read on the ball. Ready for 2012? Probably not, but it is way too early to count him out entirely.
    Posted by hotironskillet

I agree not to count him out .But as was stated here before he ha s a real lot to learn about hitting .He may be ready in 3-4 years but probably not much before.If he can`t add some gap power he may not see the BIGS. A great glove but a . .230        .240 hitter will not be  a great fit with the sox. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Posted by hotironskillet

His hitting should come around to a serviceable level as he gets more experience reading the ball out of the pitchers hand and as he fills out a bit.  I'm not overly worried about his long term hitting ability, but for next year I was hoping he could at least carry a OBP of .320 while playing GG defense.  So long as he could keep turning over the lineup I would have been ok with it for now, with the opportunity to add doubles power later.

This certainly should spice up the rivalry in a couple years though.  Players already indoctrinated into the rival coming up from the minors in Brackman (the pitch who hit Iggy) and Iggy.

I just keep thinking back to Brian Robert's concussion and how much time he's missed this year.  As well as how much time Bay missed with a concussion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Brackman has got to be an intimidating pitcher to face, with the idea of maybe getting hit due to his lack of control. Did he get hit on the helmet? That would seem to be a big part of this. I wouldn't want to even think about getting hit in that area with no helmet protection. 

If he was motionless for an extended period that would also seem to be a huge concern. Let's hope for the best but no way he is out just a week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Trade bait in a couple of weeks. Gotta do it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

So much for Kalish and Igglesias in the starting lineup next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

it appears the sox organization is comprised of a bunch of wusses and led by a moron(theo blunder.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

Considering all the injuries the big league club has faced the past couple of years the DL might be the best place for iglesias to be groomed for his big league career.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Brackman has got to be an intimidating pitcher to face, with the idea of maybe getting hit due to his lack of control. Did he get hit on the helmet? That would seem to be a big part of this. I wouldn't want to even think about getting hit in that area with no helmet protection.  If he was motionless for an extended period that would also seem to be a huge concern. Let's hope for the best but no way he is out just a week.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Yeah, it got him in the helmet, right by the ear flap.  Roberts has been out since May 16th with a concussion and hasn't begun swinging a bat yet (he also had been placed on the 7 day DL).  Every concussion is different , but that certainly isn't encouraging.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Iggy back on the DL:
    Iglesias has is now back on the DL, this time with a concussion.  I didn't see how it happened, so I welcome input on that.  Last year it was a wrist injury that derailed shortened Iggy's season, depending on the severity of the concussion, this has the potential to do the same. Let's hope that Navarro can show that he's capable of covering SS next year, at least in a backup role.  If Iggy misses significant time with his concussion, I can't see him being ready for 2012. Lowrie/Navarro for the start of 2012?
    Posted by JB-3

I don't see how he is ready next year anyway.  He has 4 extrabase hits in 229 at bats.  That is nowhere near MLB ready with the bat.  Even if he is the best fielder in the league if he is hitting 180 he isn't going to cut it.

Sections
Shortcuts