Iggy bashers where are you!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Iggy bashers where are you!?

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

Actually there were a lot of Iggy bashers...just a few weeks ago one poster wanted to make a bet that Iggy would be hitting lower than Drew within a month or so...lol  

the doubts about his hitting were sustained by many on this site and deserve to rediculed...if only for the fact that many of these guys called themselves "positive" posters...they didn't want to admit Ben was wrong about signing Drew because Iggy wasnt ready....

I told everyone on this board that AAA has no bearing on hitting...NONE...ZIPPO...to see if one can hit in MLB you have to be there.  If Middlebrooks tears it up in Pawtucket will you feel certain that will carryover in Boston? Of Course not...making adjustments in one league doesnt automatically carryover in another...Drew is proof that a good glove and an occasional hit will keep you on the roster...Midddlebrooks has neither now...which is why Iggy shouldve been on the team all year long...

As always - 100% correct!

georom, that's kind of interesting because very few players ever make it to MLB without playing AAA first--going back at least to Ted Williams over 70 years ago.  And it is equally rare for a guy to hit poorly at AAA and well at the MLB level.  Speaking of which, Iglesias played 25 games with Boston last year and averaged .118, which sounds suspiciously to me as though he wasn't hitting MLB pitching either.  Your conviction that hitting at the AAA level is completely irrelevant doesn't hold water.   

About Middlebrooks.  He was brought up last year because Youk went on the DL, and he kept the 3B job because he had good range, a good arm, and a pretty good bat at the MLB level.  This year he has been terrible at the MLB level with 9 errors and problems at the plate.  But, unlike Iglesias early this season, Middlebrooks had demonstrated MLB level ability last year and for a signficant stretch of time. That's why Farrell and Ben C were patient.  As happened with Middlebrooks and Youk last year, this year Iglesias got the shot at 3B when Middlebrooks went on the DL and then kept the job.   

Now, just for the heck of it.  Why don't you demonstrate your considerable acumen?  Call up the thread in which you said--sometime last year or even this April--something like this: 

"Contrary to what you may be reading about Iglesias, it is now obvious to me he is in fact a very good hitter, at least at the .300 level, and he might even be the first guy since Williams in 1941 to hit .400 for the season.  He's that good.  His hitting will overshadow his fielding this/next year." 

[/QUOTE]

ummm cause that AINT going to happen and it was never my argument that he would....but what bothered me about all the IGGY BASHERS (not doubters - no semantics here please) is that unlike JD Drew, Lackey, Beckett and all the other guys who totally earned the ire of decent fans everywhere, Iggy was never even allowed to succeed, let alone fail. It was the worst kind of "I am a fan only if my guys do well" nonsense that I have ever seen - and it was reiterated daily by folks who call themselves fans and positive posters.  They deserve all the crow they have to eat here about Iggy. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There might have been a couple posters here who actually "bashed" him, saying he would never hit. But the majority, me included, believed he would hit MLB pitching but werent ready to just hand him the job. Sorry, thats not bashing. Thats being pretty realistic considering what he looked like at the plate last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Actually there were a lot of Iggy bashers...just a few weeks ago one poster wanted to make a bet that Iggy would be hitting lower than Drew within a month or so...lol  

the doubts about his hitting were sustained by many on this site and deserve to rediculed...if only for the fact that many of these guys called themselves "positive" posters...they didn't want to admit Ben was wrong about signing Drew because Iggy wasnt ready....

I told everyone on this board that AAA has no bearing on hitting...NONE...ZIPPO...to see if one can hit in MLB you have to be there.  If Middlebrooks tears it up in Pawtucket will you feel certain that will carryover in Boston? Of Course not...making adjustments in one league doesnt automatically carryover in another...Drew is proof that a good glove and an occasional hit will keep you on the roster...Midddlebrooks has neither now...which is why Iggy shouldve been on the team all year long...

georom, that's kind of interesting because very few players ever make it to MLB without playing AAA first--going back at least to Ted Williams over 70 years ago.  And it is equally rare for a guy to hit poorly at AAA and well at the MLB level.  Speaking of which, Iglesias played 25 games with Boston last year and averaged .118, which sounds suspiciously to me as though he wasn't hitting MLB pitching either.  Your conviction that hitting at the AAA level is completely irrelevant doesn't hold water.   

About Middlebrooks.  He was brought up last year because Youk went on the DL, and he kept the 3B job because he had good range, a good arm, and a pretty good bat at the MLB level.  This year he has been terrible at the MLB level with 9 errors and problems at the plate.  But, unlike Iglesias early this season, Middlebrooks had demonstrated MLB level ability last year and for a signficant stretch of time. That's why Farrell and Ben C were patient.  As happened with Middlebrooks and Youk last year, this year Iglesias got the shot at 3B when Middlebrooks went on the DL and then kept the job.   

Now, just for the heck of it.  Why don't you demonstrate your considerable acumen?  Call up the thread in which you said--sometime last year or even this April--something like this: 

"Contrary to what you may be reading about Iglesias, it is now obvious to me he is in fact a very good hitter, at least at the .300 level, and he might even be the first guy since Williams in 1941 to hit .400 for the season.  He's that good.  His hitting will overshadow his fielding this/next year." 

[/QUOTE]

ummm cause that AINT going to happen and it was never my argument that he would....but what bothered me about all the IGGY BASHERS (not doubters - no semantics here please) is that unlike JD Drew, Lackey, Beckett and all the other guys who totally earned the ire of decent fans everywhere, Iggy was never even allowed to succeed, let alone fail. It was the worst kind of "I am a fan only if my guys do well" nonsense that I have ever seen - and it was reiterated daily by folks who call themselves fans and positive posters.  They deserve all the crow they have to eat here about Iggy. 

[/QUOTE]

Why in the world would I be eating crow?  I doubted Iggy's ability to hit because he was barely breaking the proverbial paper bag at McCoy, nevermind Fenway.  And in his cups o coffee, he was dismal at the plate.  The kid turned the corner this winter.  I am over the moon that he has cast my doubts (not bashes) into the ashes.  Sure, some may have written him off, as many are wont to make hasty judgements here.  But, most of us just espoused patience with young Jose.  That he has, with his bat, demanded that we go to hell with our patience is a cause for great rejoicing, not crow-eating.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

There might have been a couple posters here who actually "bashed" him, saying he would never hit. But the majority, me included, believed he would hit MLB pitching but werent ready to just hand him the job. Sorry, thats not bashing. Thats being pretty realistic considering what he looked like at the plate last year.

Southpaw, i respect you on the board and you are honest - but you are wrong here...I am not an advocate of WMiddlebrooks being sent to AAA but his attitude isnt conducive to improving and he needs to work it out there (what I want and what should be done i realize are two diff things)...however last year i heard the same thing about him and Youk being the one that got away. Another case of a younger player being marginalized because he didnt have the cache of a veteran name. You would expect better from supposedly the best fans in the baseball world. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Iggy "bashers" have all come out of an alledged closet that never existed.  Like many prudent observers here, I was an Iggy skeptic.  I come to this thread to praise Iggy, not to bury him.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There were a lot of posters (not me: I was for Iggy as our FT SS since March 2012) who wanted Iggy to spend the full season in AAA to "prove he could hit". Most felt he needed to hit better than .280 to even be given a shot at the bigs, and since we had Drew, he'd have a full year to reach that goal.

My position was never based on his hitting. It was always my contention that he'd still be an overall plus at SS, even if he hit .225-245. I still feel that way, but his offense has been a pleasant surprise. Plus, he does all the little things right: bunting, baserunning...

Great baseball instincts.

I'm wondering how much longer they will keep him batting 9th.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Southpaw, i respect you on the board and you are honest - but you are wrong here...I am not an advocate of WMiddlebrooks being sent to AAA but his attitude isnt conducive to improving and he needs to work it out there (what I want and what should be done i realize are two diff things)...however last year i heard the same thing about him and Youk being the one that got away. Another case of a younger player being marginalized because he didnt have the cache of a veteran name. You would expect better from supposedly the best fans in the baseball world. 

[/QUOTE]

fair enough.

We agree that we should expect better from Sox fans...For the most part they are very knowledgeable, but sometimes their emotion over rides common sense thinking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias didn't do anything to deserve his promotion, either.  He was not performing at AAA, and was called up to cover for Middlebrooks when he was injured.  He has been terrific, and earned the right to continue to play, but Middlebrooks earned his promotion last year - why hold Iglesias to such a lower standard?  

I don't remember anybody suggesting that Iglesias was going to come up and hit .300+ either - even for his most stalwart supporters, the argument was whether his defense was good enough to allow his weak bat in the lineup.  Good for him for making that argument moot, and here's hoping he continues to excel and patrols the Fenway infield for the next decade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Now that future 10 time gold glover Iggy has surpassed the 100 at bat mark how many more at bats must he need to prove he's now capable of hitting over .250, and provide quality at bats.

Can you imaging if he can keep up this production, and reach 200 at bats! It should be smooth sailing after that.

Most of the past bashing of Salty and Iggy was probably well deserved in most cases.  Neither belonged in a major league lineup "especially together" the way they were hitting in the past.  Hopefully they have finally turned the corner and we just have to worry about Middy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Iglesias didn't do anything to deserve his promotion, either.  He was not performing at AAA, and was called up to cover for Middlebrooks when he was injured.  He has been terrific, and earned the right to continue to play, but Middlebrooks earned his promotion last year - why hold Iglesias to such a lower standard?  

I don't remember anybody suggesting that Iglesias was going to come up and hit .300+ either - even for his most stalwart supporters, the argument was whether his defense was good enough to allow his weak bat in the lineup.  Good for him for making that argument moot, and here's hoping he continues to excel and patrols the Fenway infield for the next decade.

Exactly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

The argument was that he's a better defender than Drew and he couldnt hit much worse...that was proven to be totally correct...the only good news for the Drew crew is WM is channelling Beckett/Lackey 2011 about his performance on the field...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

There were a lot of posters (not me: I was for Iggy as our FT SS since March 2012) who wanted Iggy to spend the full season in AAA to "prove he could hit". Most felt he needed to hit better than .280 to even be given a shot at the bigs, and since we had Drew, he'd have a full year to reach that goal.

My position was never based on his hitting. It was always my contention that he'd still be an overall plus at SS, even if he hit .225-245. I still feel that way, but his offense has been a pleasant surprise. Plus, he does all the little things right: bunting, baserunning...

Great baseball instincts.

I'm wondering how much longer they will keep him batting 9th.

Sox4ever

Like many, I questioned whether he could even accomplish this.  It also seemed like it would be a weak .225 to .245 given his low OBP and slugging.  

As far as batting 9th is concerned, he certainly shouldn't replace Ellsbury at the top of the order.  Be careful what you ask for, Moonie. Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

[QUOTE]

Now that future 10 time gold glover Iggy has surpassed the 100 at bat mark how many more at bats must he need to prove he's now capable of hitting over .250, and provide quality at bats.

Can you imaging if he can keep up this production, and reach 200 at bats! It should be smooth sailing after that.

Most of the past bashing of Salty and Iggy was probably well deserved in most cases. Neither belonged in a major league lineup "especially together" the way they were hitting in the past.  Hopefully they have finally turned the corner and we just have to worry about Middy.

[/QUOTE]

Salty was a better than average hitting catcher in 2012...compared to other catchers.

His numbers in 2011 compared pretty well to other catchers too.