Iggy bashers where are you!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Iggy bashers where are you!?

Now that future 10 time gold glover Iggy has surpassed the 100 at bat mark how many more at bats must he need to prove he's now capable of hitting over .250, and provide quality at bats.

Can you imaging if he can keep up this production, and reach 200 at bats! It should be smooth sailing after that.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Iggy bashers where are you!?

No they are not lucky hits because he is actually hitting line drives now.  His GB% is down and his LD% is rising and has more than doubled.  His BABIP is dipping but that is to be expected, he is getting results now from having a good approach at the plate, as he is taking more pitches every at bat.  Before everything he hit was a bloop or a ground ball that just happend to find a hole 50% of the time he hit it.

Iglesias season is probably the biggest anomaly I've every seen.  His approach was horrible and he had the most ridiculous hits I've ever seen.  Today he is actually taking pitches, working counts and scolding the ball.  The results are there, have been there, and stayed there but for different reasons; initially luck and now approach.

I remember going on a HUGE rant in the offseason about how we need to give Iggy more time because even though he had been in Pawtucket/Boston the past two seasons he was still very young at every stage of his development and overall had less time in the minors than most prospects.  I had faith that Iggy's glove would carry him to the big leagues prematurely and with time he could turn into a #2 hitter......but I didn't think it would happen this fast, but it certainly is exciting.

Hopefully WMB can get his act together down in Patucket and soon we will be seeing Bogaerts too.  We could have a dominating infield with most of it at the league minimum within two years. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

No they are not lucky hits because he is actually hitting line drives now.  His GB% is down and his LD% is rising and has more than doubled.  His BABIP is dipping but that is to be expected, he is getting results now from having a good approach at the plate, as he is taking more pitches every at bat.  Before everything he hit was a bloop or a ground ball that just happend to find a hole 50% of the time he hit it.

Iglesias season is probably the biggest anomaly I've every seen.  His approach was horrible and he had the most ridiculous hits I've ever seen.  Today he is actually taking pitches, working counts and scolding the ball.  The results are there, have been there, and stayed there but for different reasons; initially luck and now approach.

I remember going on a HUGE rant in the offseason about how we need to give Iggy more time because even though he had been in Pawtucket/Boston the past two seasons he was still very young at every stage of his development and overall had less time in the minors than most prospects.  I had faith that Iggy's glove would carry him to the big leagues prematurely and with time he could turn into a #2 hitter......but I didn't think it would happen this fast, but it certainly is exciting.

Hopefully WMB can get his act together down in Patucket and soon we will be seeing Bogaerts too.  We could have a dominating infield with most of it at the league minimum within two years. 

Love your post! and can you imaging a lineup filled with homegrown players!?

Cecchini at 3rd

Iggy at SS

Peddy at 2nd

Middy at 1st

Boggy at LF

Jackie at CF

Brentz at RF

Vasquez at C

Sure is fun to dream.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm sure a few of those guys might be traded, and another few may flame out and end up being a minor league up/down player....but it is definitely fun to dream and while we are dreaming lets throw some pitchers in there too.

Allen Webster

Matt Barnes

Henry Owens

Anthony Ranaudo

Rubby De La rosa

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

anyone with that type of eye-hand coordination and reflexes has a real chance of being an excellent hitter..I never understood all the bellyaching about his never being able to hit...Dwight Evans took a long time to be a decent hitter but he got it together...there is no substitute for athletic ability

As always - 100% correct!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Were there ever any Iggy "bashers" here?  I don't think so.  I was certainly an Iggy doubter and am happy to see him do well (though a lot of it is luck).  Looks like the guy is a slam dunk for a good-enough BA/OBP to play SS in the majors, and perhaps significantly more.  Great! Looks like I was wrong.  But I never bashed him....did anyone?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Were there ever any Iggy "bashers" here?  I don't think so.  I was certainly an Iggy doubter and am happy to see him do well (though a lot of it is luck).  Looks like the guy is a slam dunk for a good-enough BA/OBP to play SS in the majors, and perhaps significantly more.  Great! Looks like I was wrong.  But I never bashed him....did anyone?

Doesn't make for as good a thread, if there are no "Iggy bashers" to bash.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I never remember anyone "bashing" Iggy one bit, so this thread title is kinda...off base? Where are they? they are nowhere. Doubters maybe, not bashers. Saying he couldnt hit was the truth, he couldnt last year. He wasnt handed a job he didnt deserve, and he worked his tail off throughout the off season to the present. He has improved greatly and has now earned the job. Good for him!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I doubted Iggy and I am extremely happy that he is playing well.

I think most "bashers' are psyched that iggy is tearing it up. They/we didn't go aywhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

I'm right here...

I bashed him in previous seasons saying that I doubted he would ever succeed with the bat. I thought his horrible, impatient approach combined with slap hitting singles power would leave him as a non-viable MLB option at SS.

He has had a great season and I'm thrilled to see him making strides with plate discipline, approach at the plate, contact, and power.

Keep it up kid!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Actually there were a lot of Iggy bashers...just a few weeks ago one poster wanted to make a bet that Iggy would be hitting lower than Drew within a month or so...lol  

the doubts about his hitting were sustained by many on this site and deserve to rediculed...if only for the fact that many of these guys called themselves "positive" posters...they didn't want to admit Ben was wrong about signing Drew because Iggy wasnt ready....

I told everyone on this board that AAA has no bearing on hitting...NONE...ZIPPO...to see if one can hit in MLB you have to be there.  If Middlebrooks tears it up in Pawtucket will you feel certain that will carryover in Boston? Of Course not...making adjustments in one league doesnt automatically carryover in another...Drew is proof that a good glove and an occasional hit will keep you on the roster...Midddlebrooks has neither now...which is why Iggy shouldve been on the team all year long...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Now that future 10 time gold glover Iggy has surpassed the 100 at bat mark how many more at bats must he need to prove he's now capable of hitting over .250, and provide quality at bats.

Can you imaging if he can keep up this production, and reach 200 at bats! It should be smooth sailing after that.

not sure if it's ever  ''smooth sailing after that.''

mbrooks had 257 AB last yr

no doubt about it he's looking good right now

key will be how he adjusts after a slump or mlb adjusting to him

'

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Actually there were a lot of Iggy bashers...just a few weeks ago one poster wanted to make a bet that Iggy would be hitting lower than Drew within a month or so...lol  

the doubts about his hitting were sustained by many on this site and deserve to rediculed...if only for the fact that many of these guys called themselves "positive" posters...they didn't want to admit Ben was wrong about signing Drew because Iggy wasnt ready....

I told everyone on this board that AAA has no bearing on hitting...NONE...ZIPPO...to see if one can hit in MLB you have to be there.  If Middlebrooks tears it up in Pawtucket will you feel certain that will carryover in Boston? Of Course not...making adjustments in one league doesnt automatically carryover in another...Drew is proof that a good glove and an occasional hit will keep you on the roster...Midddlebrooks has neither now...which is why Iggy shouldve been on the team all year long...

Bashers, to me, means useless badgering of a player without much or little facts to back it up. Iggy wasnt hitting and looked very overmatched last year. I would call them doubters, like you did above. Most, if not all, wanted him to succed and loved his defense. They just didnt think he would hit. I saw his MiL numbers and thought that he would be able to hit in the MLB, but I wasnt sure when and I didnt think he should be handed the job on defense alone.

If they handed Iggy the job after last year would he have worked as hard as he did? Would he have added 10+LBS of solid muscle? would he have started playing with a big chip on his shoulder (in a good way)? How the Sox handled him was exactly the way to do it. WMB should have had competition this year. He had his job taken away from him and now maybe he will put the work in and take it back. His numbers last year, especially after the Youk trade, suggested MLB pitchers were quickly figuring him out. Then he got hurt. Hill was correct to expect a regression this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A  nonsensical OP because it's been hard to find Iggy bashers on OTFB, among the Sox commentators at the Globe and NESN, or even in the front office.  Everybody has been very happy with how he has fielded and hit this year for Boston. 

Last year was a different story because, while he still looked brilliant in the field, he couldn't hit spit at the MLB level--.118 average, .391 OPS in 25 games.  In fact, cumulatively, 2010-2013, Iglesias minor league average at all levels was .257 and his OPS .622.   And that's why the Sox went after Stephen Drew, who just might have been a brilliant acquisition because his coming to Boston sure fired up Iglesias. 

This year I might have been guilty of bashing when I said I was fine with Farrell saying Drew would become the starting SS once he had recovered from being on the DL.  I repeatedly said Iglesias looked very good and was sure to return to Boston, but the anti-bashers I guess need to lash out at someone.   So Iglesias had to go back to Pawtucket where he very definitely was not happy.  In fact, he got benched for not running out grounders.  Fortunately for him, Middlebrooks then went on the DL, and back Iglesias came, this time to stay. 

Right now Iglesias is a pretty amazing story.  The Sox always knew he could field, and by that I mean at the gold glove level.  But no one had any idea he would hit this well at this point, basically three years after he turned professional and despite a lot of nonsuccess at the minor league level.  If he doesn't get injured and continues to hit decently, not at the .400 level, he deserves the AL rookie of the year award.  And, whether or not he gets that award, all Sox fans will benefit from just being able to watch him play at the MLB level.  He is truly gifted.  Last night he got that error, but still finally got the ball and threw very, very hastily to 1B, which cried out for a throwing error, but it was a nice one hopper which Napoli caught easily.  Because he plays mostly at 3B, we haven't seen that much of his range yet, but we will. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

I really do not care if Iggy hits anything over .250, he will be the starting SS next year. We know he is no Tulo, but Tulo is destined to be a first baseman IMO because Helton will be done this season. Hitting SS are rather common these days as compared to way back.Iggy will be a little Louie Apararicio and hope he hits like Louie. Mids will be at 3rd and that leaves Drew as odd man out. Too bad because he will not be a utility player.  Our if is set. The of situation needs 2 more guys if Els doesn't stay. If he goes, it will be the Fred Lynn boo boo of the 21st century 'cayuse Lynn would probablly been a HOF if he stayed. Finding a closer is paramount as Hanrahan won't likely be ready for a year. I like our rotation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I have liked this kid all season and the reports on him out of McCoy of having a bad attitude, imho were exaggerated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Like all the other "bashers", I happily changed my tune when he came back up and started ripping line drives everywhere.  Doubts demolished.  Couldn't be happier.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I have liked this kid all season and the reports on him out of McCoy of having a bad attitude, imho were exaggerated.

They werent exaggerated. Those things happened.

Hes a young confident player and it was no more than a bump in the road to the MLB. More frustration that anything. Some people here may have blown it up a bit, but everything that was reported actually happened.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hes a young confident player and it was no more than a bump in the road to the MLB. More frustration that anything. Some people here may have blown it up a bit, but everything that was reported actually happened.

I don't know, Southpaw.

If anyone knows exaggerations around here, it's Jackbu.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I thought Iglesias needed more time at AAA, but if he had been hitting like this at AAA, I'd be advocating for his promotion now.  There's nothing wrong with earning your promotion - if Middlebrooks was healthy and hitting .270 with 15 HRs, that's probably how it would have gone down.

The idea that minor league stats should be thrown out the window is ridiculous - why not start Trey Ball tomorrow?  He's a top prospect, so if performance in the minors is irrelevant, let's just start the clock.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

It's pretty amazing that he has maintained a batting average in the .430's for so long...I didn't expect him to do that. I think part of the reason is that he isn't looking to hit HR's....he just puts the bat on the ball and hustle's down the line. Has he been lucky...yep but he has also taken a good approach been working counts...drawing BB's and has not struck out very much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I don't know, Southpaw.

If anyone knows exaggerations around here, it's Jackbu.

HA! Touche my friend...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Peter Gammons was talking about Iglesias' development this morning and how Pedey and to a lesser extent, Ortiz, have been a huge influence in "keeping him focused."  He's obviously "getting it" and many in the Sox organization figured he would eventually hit.  Ben Cherington loves the kid and refused to include him in any deal.  Cherington was obviously well aware that it would have been a mistake to just hand this kid the starting SS going into Fort Myers, and the Drew signing may have been a little bit of a wake up call for him.  Gotta love what he's doing right now!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

georom, that's kind of interesting because very few players ever make it to MLB without playing AAA first--going back at least to Ted Williams over 70 years ago.  And it is equally rare for a guy to hit poorly at AAA and well at the MLB level.  Speaking of which, Iglesias played 25 games with Boston last year and averaged .118, which sounds suspiciously to me as though he wasn't hitting MLB pitching either.  Your conviction that hitting at the AAA level is completely irrelevant doesn't hold water.   

About Middlebrooks.  He was brought up last year because Youk went on the DL, and he kept the 3B job because he had good range, a good arm, and a pretty good bat at the MLB level.  This year he has been terrible at the MLB level with 9 errors and problems at the plate.  But, unlike Iglesias early this season, Middlebrooks had demonstrated MLB level ability last year and for a signficant stretch of time. That's why Farrell and Ben C were patient.  As happened with Middlebrooks and Youk last year, this year Iglesias got the shot at 3B when Middlebrooks went on the DL and then kept the job.   

Now, just for the heck of it.  Why don't you demonstrate your considerable acumen?  Call up the thread in which you said--sometime last year or even this April--something like this: 

"Contrary to what you may be reading about Iglesias, it is now obvious to me he is in fact a very good hitter, at least at the .300 level, and he might even be the first guy since Williams in 1941 to hit .400 for the season.  He's that good.  His hitting will overshadow his fielding this/next year." 

Sections
Shortcuts