IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....

This isn't that complicated.  Iggy needs more at bats at AAA.  It isn't just that he can't hit major league pitching (which right now he obviously cant) it is that he needs a little more time against AAA pitching to get comfortable in his approach so when he is the Red Sox starting SS he will be in a better place to contribute.

Everything isn't about right now.  Sometimes it is about a long term approach. 

Obviously if Iggy hits 280 at AAA and Aviles is as horrible as some here think he is then Iggy will be starting by May.

If Iggy hits 220 in AAA and Aviles makes the routine plays and hits his 290 career average then it's going to stay the same.  There isn't much sense crying about it.  If Iggy is the next superstar he is going to prove that at AAA, if Aviles is horrible he will prove that as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....

In Response to Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....:
    [QUOTE]This isn't that complicated.  Iggy needs more at bats at AAA.  It isn't just that he can't hit major league pitching (which right now he obviously cant) it is that he needs a little more time against AAA pitching to get comfortable in his approach so when he is the Red Sox starting SS he will be in a better place to contribute. Everything isn't about right now.  Sometimes it is about a long term approach.  Obviously if Iggy hits 280 at AAA and Aviles is as horrible as some here think he is then Iggy will be starting by May. If Iggy hits 220 in AAA and Aviles makes the routine plays and hits his 290 career average then it's going to stay the same.  There isn't much sense crying about it.  If Iggy is the next superstar he is going to prove that at AAA, if Aviles is horrible he will prove that as well.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

No, it's not about offense either. Defense and pitching wins games and Iggy has the glove. How do you not he is not comfortable at the plate? The hitting will come, we need him at SS now!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

so basically we traded away Marco to save cash and have Aviles start as SS...and this makes us a better team?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

He's an acceptable short-term solution.

Roy, the bootlitcker and company line shill, has just admitted that Aviles is not a solution. Short term solution is not a solution in a 162 game season. Aviles hasn't played everyday SS and was found in a dumpster for a reason. Who cares about his hitting, Aviles is never going to be any kind of a top tier career hitter. He's a butcher in the IF.

The decision was made to bean count for potential pennies, years from now, and do a ManPower temporary services secretary who is really a chashier who can't type SS part-timer tenure.

Aviles in spring training reminds me of all the idiots singing the praises of Hermida in spring training! Aviles stinks! He's a UIF!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Scutaro was a utility man before he became a FT SS as well. 

It was a mistake sending Iggy down, but I think Aviles will do better than Scoot in 2012.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness-envy. Show harness-envy's posts

In response to "Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....": [QUOTE]Scutaro was a utility man before he became a FT SS as well.  It was a mistake sending Iggy down, but I think Aviles will do better than Scoot in 2012. Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] I agree with this. Gives Aviles a chance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....": I agree with this. Gives Aviles a chance.
    Posted by harness-envy[/QUOTE]

Marco was our most consiistent, and hardest working player the last two years - bar none.  I can't believe the way folks think he wasnt any good (and that's exactly what you're saying if you think ss can be improved upon by starting Aviles instead).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommy3123. Show tommy3123's posts

I thought Scutaro was a starter for the Blue Jays?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I thought Scutaro was a starter for the Blue Jays?
    Posted by tommy3123[/QUOTE]

He was.  But the Jays were also his third team. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibba192471. Show gibba192471's posts

People Relax .. The kid can't hit, this whole "battle" was a joke .. this kid needs to say in the minnors until he can hit .270 on a regular basis or he'll get run out of Boston fast. People would be up in arms if they keep this guy in the lineup as an automatic out, I don't care how good his D is, you have to hit in the bigs plain and simple.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibba192471. Show gibba192471's posts

HE CAN'T HIT!!! That's the joke ... He is a pro baseball player and he barely hits his wieght. The biggest joke here is all of you people on here crying and whining because he was sent down. He isn't ready and honestly, he may never be ready to be an everyday MLB short stop if he doesn't figure out how to hit. Sorry, .250 at AAA and .200 in spring shows this guy sucks out loud with a bat in his hand. until that changes he doesn't deserve to be in the Majors.

[QUOTE]Some of these posts that agree that sending Iglesias down was the right move are downright ludicrous. Aviles is notheing more than a utility guy playing a position that is not his natural. Our defense last year was horrid and once again, we likely have the weakest left side in all of baseball. Youk is mediocre at 3B, so it would make more sense to have a speedster and a defensive wizard to take up the slack at SS. The hits he would take away will outweigh the hits that Aviles may get, and I think that Iglesias wouldn't hit that much below Aviles anyway.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Trade coming

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

IMO, this is the right call.  He can always be called up if Aviles falters, but I agree with those that think Aviles will be solid at SS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in.... : No, it's not about offense either. Defense and pitching wins games and Iggy has the glove. How do you not he is not comfortable at the plate? The hitting will come, we need him at SS now!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Then I assume that you'd want to start Sweeney over Ross in RF, and Punto over Youk at 3rd?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Marco was our most consiistent, and hardest working player the last two years - bar none.  I can't believe the way folks think he wasnt any good (and that's exactly what you're saying if you think ss can be improved upon by starting Aviles instead).

I will never argue that Scutaro was not a hard worker. He was. 

However, to say he was the "hardest working player the last two years- bar none" is purely speculative. You always seem to have this inside track into the brains and motivations of every Sox player. There were lots of very hard-working Sox players, and it's hard for anyone to determine who was the at the top of the list.

Even if it were true that Scutaro was the hardest worker on the team from 2010 to 2011, that still does not mean he's the better choice over Aviles for 2012 (or Iggy as well). Scutaro is getting older and has shown his fragility more often the last 2 years. He played hurt for much of 2010 and 2011 and missed quite a bit of 2011.

Now, for the "most consistent" part of your position. I totally disagree.  His month to month numbers look like a yo-yo (OPS by month):

1.038*                     1.019
                  .801             .833               .785
    .717 .693       .724                                  .718 .699
    *small sample size

His numbers vs our key opponents:
           2010  2011
    NYY  .591  .863
    TB    .692  .585

Scutaro had very limited range at a key defensive position. He hit better than most SSs in MLB, but so does Aviles.

Scutaro had never played more than 81 games at SS in a season until 2009 in Toronto at age 33 (the year before coming to Boston). Now, people are bashing Aviles for being a glorified utility player. I find that funny. 

Marco did have one season with 477 PAs (2004) and 3 more between 379 and 423 before playing over 143 games in both years with Toronto, but he was not a regular SS until the season before joining us at age 34.

Mike Aviles just turned 31. He had 91 games at SS his rookie year in 2008 and 34 games at SS in 2009. The 125 games at SS at ages 28 & 29 were way more than Scutaro had at that age and point in his career. Aviles became a utility player in 2009, but he has had over 400 PAs in 2 of his 4 years in MLB. He was the FT SS for 6 straight months with the Royals (from June 2008 to May of 2009 and in 568 PAs, he hit: 
    .293  11 HRs  59 RBIs  (35 2Bs + 3Bs)  .322 OBP/ .429 Slg% (.750 OPS)
    During that same time period Scutaro in 1091 PAs did this:
    .275  19 HRs  120 RBIs (60 2Bs + 3Bs)  .362 OBP/.384 Slg% (.746 OPS)

As almost everyone knows on this site, I wanted Iggy to be our FT SS from day one last year. I wanted it again this year. While Marco gave us a couple of good years and played gutsy ball whenever healthy, he wasn't getting any younger. His SS range was not going to get any wider. He probably wasn't going to continue to hit as well as he did with us in 2011. The trade brought us a good pitching prospect and saved us enough money to sign Cody Ross. I'll take Aviles at SS and Cody Ross over Scutaro and DMac.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Marco was our most consiistent, and hardest working player the last two years - bar none.  I can't believe the way folks think he wasnt any good (and that's exactly what you're saying if you think ss can be improved upon by starting Aviles instead). I will never argue that Scutaro was not a hard worker. He was.  However, to say he was the "hardest working player the last two years- bar none" is purely speculative. You always seem to have this inside track into the brains and motivations of every Sox player. There were lots of very hard-working Sox players, and it's hard for anyone to determine who was the at the top of the list. Even if it were true that Scutaro was the hardest worker on the team from 2010 to 2011, that still does not mean he's the better choice over Aviles for 2012 (or Iggy as well). Scutaro is getting older and has shown his fragility more often the last 2 years. He played hurt for much of 2010 and 2011 and missed quite a bit of 2011. Now, for the "most consistent" part of your position. I totally disagree.  His month to month numbers look like a yo-yo (OPS by month):                                               1.038*                     1.019               .801             .833               .785 .717 .693       .724                                  .718 .699                            .571                                          .510 *small sample size His numbers vs our key opponents:        2010  2011 NYY  .591  .863 TB    .692  .585 Scutaro had very limited range at a key defensive position. He hit better than most SSs in MLB, but so does Aviles. Scutaro had never played more than 81 games at SS in a season until 2009 in Toronto at age 33 (the year before coming to Boston). Now, people are bashing Aviles for being a glorified utility player. I find that funny.  Marco did have one season with 477 PAs (2004) and 3 more between 379 and 423 before playing over 143 games in both years with Toronto, but he was not a regular SS until the season before joining us at age 34. Mike Aviles just turned 31. He had 91 games at SS his rookie year in 2008 and 34 games at SS in 2009. The 125 games at SS at ages 28 & 29 were way more than Scutaro had at that age and point in his career. Aviles became a utility player in 2009, but he has had over 400 PAs in 2 of his 4 years in MLB. He was the FT SS for 6 straight months with the Royals (from June 2008 to May of 2009 and in 568 PAs, he hit:  .293  11 HRs  59 RBIs  (35 2Bs + 3Bs)  .322 OBP/ .429 Slg% (.750 OPS) During that same time period Scutaro in 1091 PAs did this: .275  19 HRs  120 RBIs (60 2Bs + 3Bs)  .362 OBP/.384 Slg% (.746 OPS) As almost everyone knows on this site, I wanted Iggy to be our FT SS from day one last year. I wanted it again this year. While Marco gave us a couple of good years and played gutsy ball whenever healthy, he wasn't getting any younger. His SS range was not going to get any wider. He probably wasn't going to continue to hit as well as he did with us in 2011. The trade brought us a good pitching prospect and saved us enough money to sign Cody Ross. I'll take Aviles at SS and Cody Ross over Scutaro and DMac.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon, Marco was our hardest working player the past two seaspns - he played with one arm all season long in 2010 and shined last year...who else would be in competition with him? Pedey, Beckett, Papi???? Drew?  If you watched the games, and you know who has played and who hasnt, then you know this isnt a subjective statement.

After spending the entire hot stove telling us the amazing number of games that Iggy would win for us with his glove (remember those projections????) you now make no mention of that totally subjective prediction. Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed you actually making a prediction about someone without a boatload of baseball.com references to help you think, but its funny how that prediction of yours seemed so objective and me stating that Marco was durable, consistent, and productive the past two seasons isnt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in.... : as always, cue Roy to be wrong about Iggy and Aviles..once again towing the party line and doing his bootlicking best to back management...Aviles is a donkey....that this hands of stone with the limited range would be given the nod to start the toughest position on the field this season is a disgrace...and considering that Youk is almost as bad (better hands, worse range) a left side of our infield will be a laughingstock....Iggy could have carried Youk with his range...Aviles will only burden him...Iggy needs to hit ML pitchers, not AAA...this is about money and Softy is 100% correct...We traded Scutaro to replace him with a guy with both less range and experience at the position? Really?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Cue geo's juvenile response. Someone disagrees with him and instead of engaging in intelligent conversation, he reduces himself to name-calling like a 10-year-old. 

Love your logic. I've been saying all along that I thought he needed more seasoning in the minors to develop as a hitter, long before a decision was made. If the Sox kept him in the majors, I would have been against it, so I guess that would have been the "bootlicker" supporting management.

More great logic. The kid has yet to prove he can hit Triple-A pitching, so what's your solution. Let him try to become a hitter by hitting major league pitching.

If you could act like an adult and really think about it, this is the exact type of issue that should lend itself to great back-and-forth debate instead of back-and-forth of insults. Great arguments can be made on both sides of the issue. Why you have to take it so personally when someone disagrees is beyond me. Are you that insecure with your own point of view.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i deleted my retort Roy...dont want to get into a pizzing match...sorry to offend you...sincerly,
    -g

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, Marco was our hardest working player the past two seaspns - he played with one arm all season long in 2010 and shined last year...who else would be in competition with him? Pedey, Beckett, Papi???? Drew?  If you watched the games, and you know who has played and who hasnt, then you know this isnt a subjective statement. 

It's totally subjective, and not knowing this shows the big hole in your reasoning.  

Like I said, I never doubted that Marco was a hard-worker, but just because he played while hurt does not prove anything. Pedey played hurt, VTek played hurt, Crawford played hurt and has one of the hardest work-out routines in MLB (although he doesn't fit your 2 year part of the statement). I'm not one to think that playing hurt is the only guage of being "hard-working". Preparation, showing up early to the park and leaving late, coming to camp in shape, hustling every minute of every game are all part of my idea of "hard-working", and Scutaro was certainly a hard worker. I just don't pretend to know he was clearly the hardest worker.

Papelbon never missed a game in 2 years. He played hard every game. 
    Bard busted his hump and was over-used. Just because he had a bad September, you assume he didn't work hard enough. Lester survived cancer and has barely missed one start. Jacoby tried to play hurt in 2010 and was roasted by guys like softy. He busted hump in 2011 and had a strong September. Wake had back surgery and always took the ball when asked. Because he struggled that means he didn't work hard enough? Youk plays all out everyday. Pedey too.

After spending the entire hot stove telling us the amazing number of games that Iggy would win for us with his glove (remember those projections????) you now make no mention of that totally subjective prediction. 

What does that have to do with Marco being the hardest worker? I'm not soty. I don't have to change every subject to the same issue. Besides, I have mentioned Iggy several times today, yesterday and recently on many threads. I have said it here. I wish Iggy was our FT SS and I think he's the best choice. That does not mean I hate Aviles or think he stinks. I just said that I think Aviles will do better than Scutaro will do this year. He may not do as well as Marco did in 2011, but that is not really an issue concerning the Marco trade. I think Aviles is a little better fielder than Marco, and may hit close to the same. I still think Iggy's defense would make up for the loss in offense, but I have said before that my projections are just that: projections that can not be proven. I also said it was a "close call", so I'm not largely upset by the choice. I realize the extra year of Iggy control is a benefit, but I'd like to win this year.

Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed you actually making a prediction about someone without a boatload of baseball.com references to help you think, but its funny how that prediction of yours seemed so objective and me stating that Marco was durable, consistent, and productive the past two seasons isnt.

You misread my statement. I actaully agreed with you that he is a hard worker, but his injuries and slumps did not make him consistent. He was very productive offensively. I agree with that. I said he was better than most SSs offensively. I don't need baseball ref to prove that. He hit in the clutch last year. I'm just a defensive SS kind of guy. I'm OK if you don't agree, but I have issues with anyone who says that someone is clearly the hardest worker and consistent player when others worked very hard (and yes, it is subjective to a large degree) and others were just as consistent or more so.

Even though Pedey missed half a season in 2010, he still played in about the same amount of games as Marco from 2010-2011. He had a couple of bad months, but has been very consistent. Lester has been Mr. Consistent. Others have been just as consistent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Moon, you cant be the hardest working and most consistent player if you spent the entire year on DL...cmon...Paps piched 60 innings a yr...you compare that Marco playing 140 games? this is not subjective...marco played hurt, he played well, and he played haRD for the past 2 seasons/there is no other player you can say that about..also how is marco being traded make it possible to sign Ross when Drew's 14 mil was off the books?? we needed an outfielder no matter what in 2012...

and the fact that you believe Aviles will be better defensivily than scutaro just blows my mind...i must really be missing something there in my understanding of baseball/shortstop position or Aviles abilities....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]i deleted my retort Roy...dont want to get into a pizzing match...sorry to offend you...sincerly, -g

I hope you are. (Didn't see your other post). This is one of those issues where there is not reason to get into a pizzing match. I think strong cases can be made for both sides of an issue and lends itself to an interesting debate.

By the way -- I agree with your post about Scutaro. I could never understand the criticism of him. He played with the exact attitude that we as fans should want and were criticizing others -- Drew for example -- for not having.

I hated to see him go. Personally, I think Aviles is neither an upgrade or downgrade. I see him as the same type of player as Scutaro only with a better arm. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

My biggest problem with Aviles last year was his baserunning. He made some boneheaded baserunning mistakes as I recall.

I think in the perfect scenario, Aviles holds down the fort for two months. Iggy shows enough progress at the plate to be called up in June, giving the Sox great defense down the stretch and Aviles transforming into a utility player, still getting a lot of at-bats at a number of positions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Aviles will not be better than Scutaro.

How many outstanding SS's would never have played MLB if they were required to "hit .270", as if a .270 BA means squat!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Moon, you cant be the hardest working and most consistent player if you spent the entire year on DL...cmon...Paps piched 60 innings a yr...you compare that Marco playing 140 games? this is not subjective...marco played hurt, he played well, and he played haRD for the past 2 seasons/there is no other player you can say that about..also how is marco being traded make it possible to sign Ross when Drew's 14 mil was off the books?? we needed an outfielder no matter what in 2012... and the fact that you believe Aviles will be better defensivily than scutaro just blows my mind...i must really be missing something there in my understanding of baseball/shortstop position or Aviles abilities....

I haven't seen that much of Aviles at shortstop so I can only go by the stats.  The stats say Aviles is very comparable to Scutaro on both offense and defence.  But nobody knows how Aviles is going to handle being everyday shortstop.  It will be a whole new experience for him.  There will be a lot of pressure on him.  A few early errors and the Fenway Faithful will be chanting for Iggy.  Aviles claims to be a very confident player.  His confidence is going to be tested.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, you cant be the hardest working and most consistent player if you spent the entire year on DL...cmon...

Who? Jacoby?
    Being on the DL means you don't work hard? 
    So, when Scoot was on the DL, he was what? hard-working?

Paps piched 60 innings a yr...you compare that Marco playing 140 games? 

Scoot played 113 games in 2011, so yes, I think Paps being healthy all year compares favorably to someone who missed about 1/3rd of the season and almost lost his job until jed imploded.

this is not subjective...

You don't know what the word subjective means. Scoot was not the most consistent player from 2010-2011. He missed about 60 games. He has several bad months. He's a bad fielder. Yes, he has a heart and works hard, but you can and I can never prove who worked the hardest.

marco played hurt, he played well, and he played haRD for the past 2 seasons/there is no other player you can say that about..also how is marco being traded make it possible to sign Ross when Drew's 14 mil was off the books?? we needed an outfielder no matter what in 2012...

The deal saved about $5M. We are on a limited budget. Do the math. We actually got Ross and Punto for about what we saved.

and the fact that you believe Aviles will be better defensivily than scutaro just blows my mind...i must really be missing something there in my understanding of baseball/shortstop position or Aviles abilities....

No, you are missing just how bad Scoot was at SS. As much as he tried, his range was about as bad as it gets. 
    He was negative on DPR
    Negative on RngR
    Negative on ErrR
    Only 3 other SSs had that honor the last 2 years combined.

Aviles is not a great SS. I've been claiming Iggy would save 60-90 hits over Mike. I just happen to think he'd probably save 80-110 over Marco (if he played in Boston) in 2012.  This is NOT SUBJECTIVE (just kiddin'). 

Marco clearly was one of the worst fielding SSs in MLB the last 2 years. Trying really really hard doesn't always't help.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in.... : I haven't seen that much of Aviles at shortstop so I can only go by the stats.  The stats say Aviles is very comparable to Scutaro on both offense and defence.  But nobody knows how Aviles is going to handle being everyday shortstop.  It will be a whole new experience for him.  There will be a lot of pressure on him.  A few early errors and the Fenway Faithful will be chanting for Iggy.  Aviles claims to be a very confident player.  His confidence is going to be tested.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong about Aviles. I thought Scutaro was going to be about average in the field, but got that one wrong. I just can't see him being any worse than Scutaro was. 

Some career non-UZR numbers at SS:

Flg%  RF/9  Hard-working index
    Scutaro    .972     4.19   A+++
    Aviles       .971     4.51   C-

Wink